HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

Surprising 1st round picks?

Old
06-27-2009, 03:24 AM
Hooch314

vCash: 500
I wasn't so much surprised that Ellis was a great BPA kind of deal, but good Lord, they have like 8 awesome defensemen and no good forwards.

99% of the time teams should take BPA, but its time for Nashville to change it up a bit. Not one forward of there's has scared me since they were brought into the league.

Holland, De Haan, and Runblad (don't mind him, but can't believe we took him over Moore) were also surprises for me.

Hooch314 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2009, 03:27 AM
Hooch314

Sorry for the double post, but HM to Kadri and Leddy (Butthead).

With Glennie, I guess I was surprised an actual NHL team agreed with me, but I thought he was gonna be a steal for a team in the 15-20 range. He was picked where he should have been IMO.

Hooch314 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2009, 03:36 AM
RaabHart
Where's the Hart?

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by boredmale View Post
You mean bad player such as Mike Bossy, Joe Sakic and Al MacInnis?
I could see Holland turning into a Sakic like player. But he's got a long way to go.

RaabHart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2009, 03:40 AM
Blane Youngblood

Quote:
I have nothing against moving up to 16th for De Haan, but I would love to know what the logic was to move up to 12 to pick him(if they waited till 16th one of De Haan, Rundblad or Moore would have been where they picked)

In time if De Haan proves to be better then the others I listed then it was a good move, else they should have just waited.
Usually when something like that happens, the team knows something that most people don't. It's like when the Sharks traded up for Setoguchi, or when the Canucks traded up to get to Edler before the Wings. They probably knew another team had been planning on taking him and really wanted him.

Blane Youngblood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2009, 05:26 AM
Seguin19

Quote:
I have nothing against moving up to 16th for De Haan, but I would love to know what the logic was to move up to 12 to pick him(if they waited till 16th one of De Haan, Rundblad or Moore would have been where they picked)

In time if De Haan proves to be better then the others I listed then it was a good move, else they should have just waited.
My bet is, there was wind that Florida at 14 was going to take De Hann. They are looking to replace J-Bo. Kulikov is a great talent, but I doubt we see him in the NHL which is the reason for his slide.

The surprise pick I think could be Paradis at 27.

Seguin19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2009, 07:41 AM
Dan-o16

Quote:
Originally Posted by jin View Post
Usually when something like that happens, the team knows something that most people don't. It's like when the Sharks traded up for Setoguchi, or when the Canucks traded up to get to Edler before the Wings. They probably knew another team had been planning on taking him and really wanted him.
Taking De Haan at 12 as opposed to 16 doesn't concern me, because the cost was minimal. What did concern me was that Moore, Runblad, and Kulikov were all available. And that's how this pick is going to be judged in the future - the Isles probably weren't going to take any of the other players.

I thought that they'd move up to pick a D-man... I just thought it would be Moore or Kulikov. I think if the Isles had taken either McGuire would have had to change his pants during the commercial break. But that's not how drafts are judged.

Cheers,

Dan-o

Dan-o16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2009, 10:34 AM
JRZ DVLS
Try Brubag*****

Quote:
Originally Posted by VHC View Post
This has nothing to do with shocking picks but Congratulations to Palmieri, a third Long Islander drafted in the first round.
Isnt he From Montvale, New Jersey?

JRZ DVLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2009, 11:33 AM
leafmon

Did I miss it or wher /what happened to Werek?

leafmon is offline   Reply With Quote