HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

Are you satisfied of your team's 1st round pick(s)?

Old
06-27-2009, 07:23 AM
nik jr

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovetheflyers8 View Post
What did the Wings trade for I stopped watching around the mid-20s I think.
29 to TB

32 and 75 to DRW

smart move, imo. they get a player they wanted at 29, plus another pick.

nik jr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2009, 07:39 AM
DutchLeafsfan

Send a message via ICQ to DutchLeafsfan Send a message via MSN to DutchLeafsfan
As a Leafs fan, I'd say mixed feelings. I can't deny that with the Kaberle rumors swirling around and clear interest in trading up for Brayden Schenn, that the first round ending with the result being Nazem Kadri wasn't my dream scenario.

That said, I'd say that with the Islanders going for Tavares the top 3 was pretty much set with all teams seemingly getting the player they wanted and having little interest to move for anything but massive overpayment, which given the assets the Leafs have probably would have been an unwise move. Trading up to 4 and 5 would have been nice, but it seems both the Thrashers and Kings were pretty comfortable with picking where they were, so that pretty much closed that option.

As for the Kadri pick himself, it wasn't the pick I was hoping or expecting at the time, I'll be honest in that as well. On the other hand, it's not like the Leafs went totally off the board there, especially compared to how the draft played out. MPS might have been the sexier pick according to HFBoards consensus, but whether that actually means that he might have been the better pick when we look back in 5 years remains to be seen. Having been here for a while (albeit not posting so much the past few years), in general exciting prospects which gain attention early and get talked about having superstar potential are very highly regarded here. I often have the feeling such 'HF sweethearts' might get a bit overrated here on these boards, which leads to people considering NHL teams with professional scouting staffs idiots for not taking these slamdunk picks.

Looking at that, I'm not sure Kadri necesarrily is a bad choice. I think the Leafs needed a forward more than another defensive defenseman this year, and it's hardly as if they were the only one rating Kadri higher than MSP. Bob McKenzie usually seems to have a pretty good view on things. The Senators scouting staff seemingly preferred both Kadri and Cowen over MSP, whereas the Stars staff preferred Scott Glennie and potentially Kadri as well (considering the seeming interest of Bryan Murray to swap picks, seemingly fearing Dallar might want him) over MSP. When three professional scouting staffs and arguably the most respected hockey analyst feel this way, they might be onto something, and as passionate as most fans are about things, we still remain amateur hockey enthusiasts. Sure mistakes are made in the drafts, but for each Anze Kopitar there's also a Rob Shremp...

So was this what I hoped for? Nope. But will I fling myself off the bridge or switch my loyalties to the Edmonton Oilers? No way either. I'll see how Kadri develops in the upcoming years; from the scouting reports as well as the couple of interviews I saw he gave me a pretty good feeling. Am I overly worried about him growing up a Habs fan? Not really, if he wants to be an NHL player I assume he's going to be professional enough to get over that. (And recent interviews with TSN suggest he is)

DutchLeafsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2009, 07:42 AM
leaky37

I'm happy with the Kadri selection. Like people said before, both us and Ottawa wanted him so thats saying something. He was ranked 8th by central scouting and we picked him 7th. The kid has offensive talent that our team is lacking. He had 25 Goals and 55 Assists in 56 games last year with London and you can't say that was because of JT. JT didn't get traded to London until the Trade Deadline so 90% of the season was already over. I think this is a solid pick imo. Either way we could of had a solid player @ the #7 spot and we did get that. I too would of liked to get another 1st rounder for Kabs but oh well

leaky37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2009, 08:19 AM
Tachycineta

No, not satisfied. I really wanted Schroeder at 13 but at least he went to our expansion buddies

Kassian- he's mean but I think we could have gotten a higher skilled and better guy. I'm disappointed but hopefully, I'll be proven wrong in years to come.

2010 bandwagon jumper- Go Habs and Bruins!
Tachycineta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2009, 08:23 AM
Just Win
Free Larsson

vCash: 50
Very happy with Josefson at 20.

Just Win is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2009, 09:11 AM
OilerOlli*

More than satisfield. I didn't think we could get MPS at #10.
Thanks to Toronto and Dallas.

OilerOlli* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2009, 09:53 AM
Levitate

Alright with Kreider. I was hoping for Schroeder, and I still hope that doesn't bite the Rangers in the ass, but theoretically if Kreider pans out his physical gifts will give him a leg up on a guy like Schroeder.

He just needs to prove himself next year

Levitate is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2009, 10:09 AM
TMLeafer
Komarov the Gaul

I'm happy with Kadri.

TMLeafer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2009, 10:38 AM
Gabe1313

I happy with mine. I was hoping Schroeder to 24 to the caps.

Gabe1313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2009, 10:50 AM
The Chef*

very happy with cowen

The Chef* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2009, 12:34 PM
Thrashers

Yeah I am happy with the Thrashers selection of Evander "The Real Deal" Kane.

Thrashers is offline   Reply With Quote