HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Brian Boyle Traded to the Rangers for a 3rd Round Pick in 2010

Old
06-27-2009, 12:48 PM
FroFan

vCash: 500
I liked Boyle, and hoped that he'd work out, but it obviously didn't work out. In a way, it's a positive sign for the Kings. Some years ago, he'd have been given a job no matter what because we had no other prospects. I'm glad to see that the current system is separating the wheat from the chaff.

Time for a new avatar!

FroFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2009, 12:54 PM
SFKingshomer

More than I thought they would get for this bust.

SFKingshomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2009, 12:57 PM
Shellz

hey, dont be an ass

Shellz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2009, 01:01 PM
jfont

Awards:
okay, relax ppl...

06-27-2009, 01:04 PM
Scrivezina
AMart Jazz Hands!!!

BB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chazz Reinhold View Post
My roommate went to St. Sebastien's with Boyle, and he's always told me that the "five-cent head and million dollar arm" mantra definitely applies to him. I highly doubt Boyle will ever figure it out.
I thought he was just lumbering along, but if he's not the sharpest tool in the shed then there is little hope. You can beat someone into working harder but if they're not the smartest, then they plateau and that's all you get. I wish him luck though, but don't think its likely he'll be a great player. He'll likely be inconsistent and that's not what we need.

Scrivezina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2009, 01:04 PM
kingsfan25

This trade bugs me a little bit. Not because Boyle is irreplacable, but because of the reasons behind the move. DL and co. have said that BB needs to become tougher and physical on a consistent basis and of course, any time a player is 6'7, you expect him to have a little bit of grind in his game. But the fact of the matter is that Boyle was consistently productive (as much as you can expect a prospect to be) on the offensive end of things and, IMO, demonstrated the best goal scoring touch of any Kings prospect in recent years. It seems like they're dumping him not because he hasn't shown that he can perform at the NHL level, but because they're bitter that he's not Keith Primeau.

kingsfan25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2009, 01:05 PM
Jungle Boy

Dave Steckel part 2.

I hate the 2001-2004 draft. not because we sucked but because we fooled ourselves thinking that we had a great farm.

Jungle Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2009, 01:07 PM
JDM
HFB Partner

I expected Boyle to be traded, and I don't really care about the return.

I think the Rangers will be a good fit for him.

Boyle = Spilled milk.

Here's to Lewis making the team as 4th line center!

JDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2009, 01:07 PM
Rommel

Look .. Another Brazilian! hehe

Rommel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2009, 01:19 PM
BigKing
Spot Picker

This should be food for thought for those that keep thinking you can just draft players and magically become Detroit. LA was supposed to be stacked after the 2003 draft and even moreso after nabbing Tukonen in '04.

BigKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2009, 01:23 PM
KINGS17
Smartest in the Room

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jungle Boy View Post
Dave Steckel part 2.

I hate the 2001-2004 draft. not because we sucked but because we fooled ourselves thinking that we had a great farm.
We weren't the only ones fooled. People here at HFBoards had our prospect pool rated very high after that draft.

Let's just hope that our current scouts continue to find the right players for this team. So far their track record suggests that they know what they are doing.

KINGS17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2009, 01:25 PM
JDM
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigKing View Post
This should be food for thought for those that keep thinking you can just draft players and magically become Detroit. LA was supposed to be stacked after the 2003 draft and even moreso after nabbing Tukonen in '04.
It's funny that last year Tukonen was unanimously (well, pretty much) considered a bust, and yet Boyle, who was drafted a year earlier, deserves another year before being called a bust.

There has to be some standard.

A bust is a bust is a bust is a Boyle.

Old
06-27-2009, 01:29 PM
KINGS17
Smartest in the Room

Quote:
That's true. After you draft them, you actually have to develop them which is something we were sorely lacking under Dave Taylor's leadership.

Taylor would take these guys and throw them in the deep end of the pool, and it was sink or swim. We are lucky that Frolov and Brown turned out to be good players. In Brown's case, if it wasn't for the lockout and him spending a year in Manchester, he probably wouldn't have developed properly.

That's how Detroit does it. Almost every one of their guys spend time in Grand Rapids no matter what. That's the point the Kings need to get to as well.

Old
06-27-2009, 01:47 PM
BigKing
Spot Picker

Quote:
Originally Posted by KINGS17 View Post
That's true. After you draft them, you actually have to develop them which is something we were sorely lacking under Dave Taylor's leadership.

Taylor would take these guys and throw them in the deep end of the pool, and it was sink or swim. We are lucky that Frolov and Brown turned out to be good players. In Brown's case, if it wasn't for the lockout and him spending a year in Manchester, he probably wouldn't have developed properly.

That's how Detroit does it. Almost every one of their guys spend time in Grand Rapids no matter what. That's the point the Kings need to get to as well.
Frolov didn't play right away (played with men after is draft year I believe) and Boyle spent the entire 4 years at BC and then pretty much two full seasons in Manchester.

I agree there needs to be better development but let's not pretend like Doughty, Moller, Simmonds, Johnson and possibly Hickey have spent significant time in Manchester--if at all.

I think Taylor had a propensity for Euros and College players and the fruit of that has borne out into the soft as charmin squads LA has iced for the past several seasons. Even the guys that we give DT and staff credit for (Brown,Frolov,Kopitar) as LA's "best players" are soft.

I don't think it's as much the development side as DL and company are making better selections, although I won't count the Top-5 choices because DT didn't have those this decade. What I love about this draft is that it appears to be entirely comprised of North American skaters with two tough guys as the first two selections.

BigKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2009, 01:54 PM
JDM
HFB Partner

Quote:
I don't think it's as much the development side as DL and company are making better selections, although I won't count the Top-5 choices because DT didn't have those this decade. What I love about this draft is that it appears to be entirely comprised of North American skaters with two tough guys as the first two selections.
Well, I think it was development in the sense that there was not a universal message being hammered into all Kings property, regardless of what league they are playing in, like DL has implemented.

But more truly I think that Al Murray and DT's staff didn't seem to do their homework on who these kids were as individuals. The character assessment was poor. DT seemed to draft on skill and potential MUCH more than for hockey sense and leadership qualities, which are the two things DL and crew seem to care about above all else.

Old
06-27-2009, 02:00 PM
northernKing

My brother is a huge ranger fan and loves the deal! Finally they have ome size up front. That East Coast trip a few yrs back must have made an impression ha ha

northernKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2009, 02:14 PM
Cutty Sarkn3ss*
I bet u trade me

Send a message via AIM to Cutty Sarkn3ss*
Can't say I'm not surprised. . Sorry Brian. . hopefully you make a splash in NY.

Cutty Sarkn3ss* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2009, 02:20 PM
jfont

Awards:
boy that draft year was a disaster...

it really explains the state of the franchise the past few years...hopefully, we'll see some semblance of success in the coming years. but management needs to sign a first rate free agent this summer in order to do that.

jfont is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2009, 02:45 PM
Kingswin

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsfan25 View Post
This trade bugs me a little bit. Not because Boyle is irreplacable, but because of the reasons behind the move. DL and co. have said that BB needs to become tougher and physical on a consistent basis and of course, any time a player is 6'7, you expect him to have a little bit of grind in his game. But the fact of the matter is that Boyle was consistently productive (as much as you can expect a prospect to be) on the offensive end of things and, IMO, demonstrated the best goal scoring touch of any Kings prospect in recent years. It seems like they're dumping him not because he hasn't shown that he can perform at the NHL level, but because they're bitter that he's not Keith Primeau.

this..

Kingswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2009, 02:55 PM
ReggieMoto

Send a message via Yahoo to ReggieMoto
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jungle Boy View Post
Dave Steckel part 2.
Except that Steckel is an everyday player for the Caps. Perhaps not elite, but an everyday NHLer whereas BB isn't. That's still quite the accomplishment.

ReggieMoto is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2009, 03:05 PM
Knight of the Realm
Champs Again!

I think Boyle has talent but he would never have been able to put it on display in LA. Sorry it did not work out and I hope he goes on to a nice career.

Any thoughts about Azevedo's chances of making it to LA?

Knight of the Realm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2009, 03:16 PM
sweatypickle

dear god of all the places to land, he lands with Torts...

sweatypickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2009, 03:29 PM
Telos
In Dean We Trust

vCash: 3578
Send a message via ICQ to Telos Send a message via AIM to Telos Send a message via MSN to Telos Send a message via Yahoo to Telos
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweatypickle View Post
lol, I didn't think of that... He is sure going to have a tough time there.

“Every good army needs a couple of criminals.” - Dean Lombardi
Telos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2009, 03:42 PM
KINGS17
Smartest in the Room

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweatypickle View Post
May be exactly what he needs.

Old
06-27-2009, 04:26 PM
Jwm1986

We cant keep everyone. Too bad showing a flash f brilliance every 10 games doesn't get it done...

this was bound to happen... how long can we possibly wait for him to prove hes a full time NHL player

Jwm1986 is offline   Reply With Quote