HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2009 Draft Discussion Thread

Old
06-27-2009, 03:12 PM
CowMix
Go Kings Go!

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DapperDan View Post
Adam Almqvist is going to be the best player to come out of this draft.
especially since he was drafted by the wings

CowMix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2009, 04:05 PM
Albi

Send a message via MSN to Albi
I'm sure Johnny Utah will have a hard one for weeks considering all the fighters we have drafted...won't you Johnny?

Albi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2009, 04:19 PM
lakings41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albi View Post
I'm sure Johnny Utah will have a hard one for weeks considering all the fighters we have drafted...won't you Johnny?

I certainly do!

This team has been charmin for quite some time. It would be nice for a change to see someone else pissed off besides O'Donnell.

I'm happy with the way the draft went even though I don't know most of the day two picks. But this is one area where I wouldn't question Dean's knowledge. Let's hope two or three of these guys make it one day.

lakings41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2009, 05:21 PM
Legionnaire
Kill! Jeff, Kill!!!

A lot of over-agers drafted. Anyone want to take a gander what that's abotu? Manchester? Farther along in development? Ontario?!?

Legionnaire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2009, 05:37 PM
JDM
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legionnaire View Post
A lot of over-agers drafted. Anyone want to take a gander what that's abotu? Manchester? Farther along in development? Ontario?!?
Manchester would be my guess.

I think Dean wants to have more of Kings property playing and developing together. Hopefully this group will go and help buoy the group we already have in Manchester, and be the AHL 'vets' to usher in a guy like Schenn into the system when he and others are ready to make that jump.

A bunch of PTO's in Manchester helps no one.

JDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2009, 05:44 PM
Thrice
Coyote Killer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDM View Post
Manchester would be my guess.

I think Dean wants to have more of Kings property playing and developing together. Hopefully this group will go and help buoy the group we already have in Manchester, and be the AHL 'vets' to usher in a guy like Schenn into the system when he and others are ready to make that jump.

A bunch of PTO's in Manchester helps no one.
Absolutely.

Thrice is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2009, 06:04 PM
Puck U
2012 SC CHAMPIONS !

From KingsVision:
http://kings.nhl.tv/team/console.jsp?catid=729&id=44464
Lombardi reflects on Draft
Kings GM Dean Lombardi speaks with Daryl Evans following the 2009 NHL Entry Draft.

Puck U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2009, 06:08 PM
DapperDan
Bad Thoughts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CowMix View Post
especially since he was drafted by the wings
Especially since he was drafted by the Wings in the 7th round.

DapperDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2009, 11:09 PM
Kingler

Again no European...

During DL time, this is the 2nd time we didn't draft European. 2007 was the first (and ya I realized Moller is Swedish but he was playing in NA at his draft time).

Since he took over in 2006, DL has drafted a grand total of 4 Euro out of 38 prospects drafted. Voynov was the only one drafted higher than 4th round. That's crazy...

And I don't think European are bad because teams like Detroit are built primary from Europeans. Does that mean that Kings does not have strong scouting team in Europe? I know we found Loktionov last year...but that's like 1...could be pure luck.

Kingler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2009, 11:23 PM
T2M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingler View Post
Again no European...

During DL time, this is the 2nd time we didn't draft European. 2007 was the first (and ya I realized Moller is Swedish but he was playing in NA at his draft time).

Since he took over in 2006, DL has drafted a grand total of 4 Euro out of 38 prospects drafted. Voynov was the only one drafted higher than 4th round. That's crazy...

And I don't think European are bad because teams like Detroit are built primary from Europeans. Does that mean that Kings does not have strong scouting team in Europe? I know we found Loktionov last year...but that's like 1...could be pure luck.
Probably a combination of the players not being in the right place and a real love for Canadian hockey. Let's not forget, he hasn't been the biggest drafter of college players. This year I'm willing to bet there were some Swedes he was looking at who were gone by the second round pick. Otherwise the Europeans don't always bring that combination of grit and character he's pounding the table over right now.

T2M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2009, 05:18 AM
Rabid Husky

vCash: 583
Quote:
Originally Posted by hans View Post
He's going to St. Cloud State.

"During the regular season, Dowd led the Wild in points per game with 49 (16 goals) in 43 contests. In the postseason, the 18-year-old has a league-leading six goals for 12 points after six games."

http://www.nahl.com/news/story.cfm?id=982

That's all I could find.
His full stats

http://www.pointstreak.com/prostats/...&seasonid=3880
He will either play for Wenatchee again next year or go play for Indiana in the USHL before coming to SCSU.

Rabid Husky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2009, 07:10 AM
deano

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legionnaire View Post
I'm pretty sure the reason DL likes to draft overagers is due the the fact that he can plug them into our system on an AHL contract. Pelech and Nolan definitely have the size and jam that DL was looking for, and they both don't need to be signed for another two years. Manchester is definitely going to be bigger next season. Pelech, Nolan, King, and Elkins are all big boys, with Wudrick coming next year. The only pick that left me scratching my head was the Kolomatis pick. He's eligible to turn pro this year, but with Martinez, Voinov, Hickey, and Mullen already in Mancheter, we already have a bunch of puck moving d men. I would have thought that getting a big shut down d man would have been a bigger need since Bagnall and Piskula are much older prospects.

Overall I was a bit underwhelmed with how the draft went, but am still pretty happy with what we got. Clifford was great at the recent U-18 tournament, and if you want to watch him play, just go to tsn.ca and go into their broadband page. You can find some of the U-18 tournament archived there. My biggest complaint is that we didn't try to pull any boom or bust late round Euro's. Pelech was great during the playoffs this year though, and I trust our scouting staff, so I guess there isn't much to complain about. Hopefully July 1st gives me something to get excited about. Go Kings!

deano is offline   Reply With Quote