HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Second Round Pick: Canucks Select Anton Rodin

Old
06-27-2009, 04:07 PM
digger18

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BerSTUzzi View Post
What trend is that we picked a far superior skilled forwards in Hodgson vs Beach and Schroeder vs Ashton.
Nobody is complaining about the first round....

digger18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2009, 04:10 PM
LostMyGlasses*

Quote:
Originally Posted by digger18 View Post
Nobody is complaining about the first round....
I'm sure that about 100 delicate genius' will run into this thread now, quote one of your posts, and complain and whine that we took the best player available in the first round!

"Hey guys, even though 90% of the players chosen in the first 3 rounds are 6 foot and over, size doesn't matter in the NHL any more"

LostMyGlasses* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2009, 04:14 PM
ahmon

Agree with the posters that feel we need more toughness and physical presence in our top 6. I also agree with them that chicago outplayed us in the physical department as well ( which was one of the reasons we lost)

But jordan schroeder was very much the bpa at that moment. Im sure if we had a choice between evander kane/ jordan schroeder that gillis would have picked kane.

So it wasn't like there was much alternative to that. Players picked now mostly won't factor into our lineup next year anyways.

By the time schroeder/rodin( who is not small at 6 feet) make the team the canucks might have a bigger/tougher top 6, and lack some skill, who knows.

ahmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2009, 04:15 PM
Canucker

BPA = Best Player Available not Biggest Player Available. I'm so glad Gillis is our GM and not one of these Quinn/Burke types. We'd be drafting more Alex Stojanov's and Libor Polaseks and ignoring true skill players.

Canucker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2009, 04:18 PM
Schroeder19

I wanted to take Doherty in this round and we could have taken Rodin in the 4th round. This is the only pick I'm dissapointed in, but let's hope the best for Anton.

Schroeder19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2009, 04:22 PM
digger18

Quote:
Originally Posted by y2kcanucks View Post
It's one thing to say it, it's another to do it. Let's see names please.
2 27 57 SJS TAYLOR DOHERTY Mar 2, 1991 CAMBRIDGE, ON CA 6' 7" 218 OHL KINGSTON D

Taken 4 picks after Rodin........

3 28 89 CHI DANIEL DELISLE Sep 24, 1990 MINNEAPOLIS, MN US 6' 4" 222 HIGH-MN TOTINO GRACE C/LW

Taken 6 picks after Connoauton......

4 23 114 NJD SETH HELGESON Oct 8, 1990 FARIBAULT, MN US 6' 5" 220 USHL SIOUX CITY D

Taken 1 pick after Price.......

I like the Andersson pick!!

Gillis chose Cannata, he must have identified a need for taking a goalie, maybe he plans to trade Schnieder, so I also like that pick!!!

I also like the move he made grabbing Anthony in round 7.

Flame away!!!

digger18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2009, 04:32 PM
Balls Mahoney
The Tryamkin Era!!!

Why is this retarded argument commencing over three threads now with the same people involved?

I came for Rodin info and analysis.

Balls Mahoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2009, 04:34 PM
Andy Dufresne

Quote:
2 27 57 SJS TAYLOR DOHERTY Mar 2, 1991 CAMBRIDGE, ON CA 6' 7" 218 OHL KINGSTON D

3 28 89 CHI DANIEL DELISLE Sep 24, 1990 MINNEAPOLIS, MN US 6' 4" 222 HIGH-MN TOTINO GRACE C/LW

4 23 114 NJD SETH HELGESON Oct 8, 1990 FARIBAULT, MN US 6' 5" 220 USHL SIOUX CITY D

Flame away!!!
I thought we were looking for SKILL in our big gritty players?? Have you ever seen Delisle play?
Do you have any reports that would indicate he's a future TOP 6 power forward? because big guys with not much skill are in fact real easy to find. I think even Lost My Glasses would admit to that.

Doherty flat out sucks- at least every time i've seen him and I thought we were talking about needing big gritty skilled FORWARDS?

Andy Dufresne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2009, 04:34 PM
Canucker

Quote:

Gillis chose Cannata, he must have identified a need for taking a goalie, maybe he plans to trade Schnieder, so I also like that pick!!!

Flame away!!!
I suggested a couple years ago to have a stickied thread where people posted who they would have taken in our spots and we could all look it over as the years pass and see who would have made good/lucky picks...it never really caught on tho.

Canucker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2009, 04:39 PM
Andy Dufresne

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balls Mahoney View Post
Why is this retarded argument commencing over three threads now with the same people involved?

I came for Rodin info and analysis.
I don't know- but at least he came up with some names- maybe all "size" related posts should just be moved to a new thread?

I should add that Rodin may be a highly skilled finesse forward but he doesn't qualify as "tiny" at 5'11- 175lbs.

Andy Dufresne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2009, 04:42 PM
ahmon

both connauton/price aren't small either.

But lets get back on topic.

Anyone actually seen anton rodin play?

I've looked at some posts in the swedish board, and some over there are not even sure if hes going to make the U-20 sweden team.

Old
06-27-2009, 04:43 PM
Finkle is Einhorn

Back to the topic at hand....

Gillis on Rodin:

Quote:
...we had Rodin in the first round so to get him in the second round late was a strong pick, we believe," Gillis said. "We're really pleased with what we did."
http://tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=283078

Considering they had Schroeder in their top 10, Gillis and co. feel as though they came away with two first round picks - not a bad haul.

Finkle is Einhorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2009, 04:46 PM
ahmon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Battle Axe View Post
Back to the topic at hand....

Gillis on Rodin:

http://tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=283078

Considering they had Schroeder in their top 10, Gillis and co. feel as though they came away with two first round picks - not a bad haul.
Gradin must have been really high on this kid.

Maybe rodin not participating in the major tournaments u-20 and not playing in the elite league in sweden dropped his stock.

Old
06-27-2009, 04:50 PM
PuckMunchkin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Dufresne View Post
I don't know- but at least he came up with some names- maybe all "size" related posts should just be moved to a new thread?

I should add that Rodin may be a highly skilled finesse forward but he doesn't qualify as "tiny" at 5'11- 175lbs.
He is actually listed wee bit bigger here:
http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=7084
Quote:
HEIGHT: 182 cm / 6'0"
WEIGHT: 80 kg / 176 lbs
The added lb doesn't mean anything.. but I'd say at 6'0" he is no longer a undersized forward.
Just a matter of how much more meat he can put on those bones.

Here is a picture from sportsverige.com:

Just to put a face on the draftee for those who've yet to see the kid.

PuckMunchkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2009, 04:52 PM
Mr. Canucklehead
Mod Supervisor
Kitimat Canuck

I wonder what the plan is for Rodin(and Andersson) next year in terms of where they will play. Will they play in the SEL, or will they come over and try the junior ranks? It appears Rodin is committed to Brynas, but Andersson(according to eliteprospects.com) doesn't seem to have any such commitment, and didn't play a lick in the SEL last year.

~Canucklehead~

Mr. Canucklehead is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2009, 05:02 PM
ugghhh

I like this pick. Just because we drafted Rodin doesn't mean he will ever suit up for the Canucks. Drafting the BPA is always a good idea. I really think he'll end up being a top6 winger.

The only problem I have with Rodin is that he seems like more of a project pick, which helps our depth down the road, but not in the near future. I know we don't need any more forwards coming into the lineup in the next couple of years and can wait for him to develop, but I'd be more interested in using him as a trading chip.

The problem with this is that his numbers in the swe-2 make it seem like he probably won't get a lot of playing time in the SEL next year, which probably means he won't raise his stock a whole lot.

My draft plan would have been to draft players who are skilled, but who will also raise their value across the league by next year.

I personally would have targeted a player like Richard Panik. He's a player who's probably going to come over to the CHL, play for Windsor, and could increase his stock quite a bit (like Grachev last year) -- this is of course based on the Canucks thinking Panik is a good player (which from what I've seen is quite clear).

Then you can use him as a trading chip at the deadline to add whatever you need to the lineup. It's tough to part with a player who's showing potential, but if we can't improve our lineup going into the season and need to improve something before the playoffs, that gives us a great option.

I'm all for drafting Rodin if we can improve the team through free agency/trades, and if that happens then I'll be more than happy with Rodin. If we go into the season with a lineup similar to last year (which seems likely), than I think a pick like Panik makes more sense.

ugghhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2009, 05:28 PM
Boondock

does anyone have any info on Andersson? I can't find much info on him.

Boondock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2009, 05:38 PM
Lucbourdon
Kefka cheers for Van

vCash: 50
Ok I have a question!:

I noticed he is not on the world Junior roster
http://www.tsn.ca/world_jrs/feature/?id=4465

Yet his age seems to be about right to be in it.
Does that mean he was not good enough to make the team?

Lucbourdon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2009, 05:44 PM
Outside99*
Sedins off Kas

vCash: 796
Sounds like a great pick, Canucks prospect pool of forwards just took a huge jump in the past year!!!

The size arguments are moot at this point. You simply cannot completely & accurately judge a player's adult strength and final size at 18 years old. 5'11" and 175 is about right for an 18year old but after that, who knows. An 18 year old of that size could conceivably gain 30lbs of muscle by 22 and be able to bench press at NFL combines level (225lbs 25x) - without steroids I might add.

As for Schroeder, our 5'8" 1st rounder who was arguably the strongest prospect at the Combines, similar argument. Its not how tall you are but how strong on your skates you are and how much power you can generate. Some 5'8" guys could manhandle just about every NHLer over 6'. Just ask Pierre Bouchard about Stan Jonathan. Schroeder's not a fighter but you know what I mean.

Strength is just one of the factors that needs to develop for both draft picks over the next 4 years but good draft picks they were!

Outside99* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2009, 05:56 PM
PuckMunchkin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outside99 View Post
Sounds like a great pick, Canucks prospect pool of forwards just took a huge jump in the past year!!!

The size arguments are moot at this point. You simply cannot completely & accurately judge a player's adult strength and final size at 18 years old. 5'11" and 175 is about right for an 18year old but after that, who knows. An 18 year old of that size could conceivably gain 30lbs of muscle by 22 and be able to bench press at NFL combines level (225lbs 25x) - without steroids I might add.

As for Schroeder, our 5'8" 1st rounder who was arguably the strongest prospect at the Combines, similar argument. Its not how tall you are but how strong on your skates you are and how much power you can generate. Some 5'8" guys could manhandle just about every NHLer over 6'. Just ask Pierre Bouchard about Stan Jonathan. Schroeder's not a fighter but you know what I mean.

Strength is just one of the factors that needs to develop for both draft picks over the next 4 years but good draft picks they were!
I'd say you can only take a couple of things thing from bench pressing numbers as far as hockey players go...
...on ice strenght is really not one of them. On the ice more or less all about core strenght and legs.

Also to take in to account is the fact that he is short.
This means that he probably also has shorter arms, wich means the distance he needs to bench is not as long.
Naturally this translates in to more bench reps.

What positive you can take from this is the fact that he probably enjoys hitting the gym.
That should mean solid work ethic.

Old
06-27-2009, 06:11 PM
Brownie

Its amazing how better our prospect pool looks after Gillis has taken over. We actually have some high end players to look forward to.

Nonis FTL.

Brownie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2009, 06:13 PM
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality

Send a message via AIM to y2kcanucks
Quote:

Flame away!!!
I like Doherty too, although he was ranked somewhere in the late 3rd round. He was a bit of a reach where he went.

I also like how you didn't go with any puck moving defensemen. Both defensemen you stated you'd have taken are stay-at-home defensemen...throw them in the pile with Rahimi and Ellington.

y2kcanucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2009, 06:15 PM
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality

Send a message via AIM to y2kcanucks
Again...would people agree that Rodin is a good comparison to Linus Omark? I'm just trying to get a handle on what this kid is about and what his potential may be...

y2kcanucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Outside99*
Sedins off Kas

vCash: 796
Quote:
Originally Posted by PuckMunchkin View Post
I'd say you can only take a couple of things thing from bench pressing numbers as far as hockey players go...
...on ice strenght is really not one of them. On the ice more or less all about core strenght and legs.

Also to take in to account is the fact that he is short.
This means that he probably also has shorter arms, wich means the distance he needs to bench is not as long.
Naturally this translates in to more bench reps.

What positive you can take from this is the fact that he probably enjoys hitting the gym.
That should mean solid work ethic.
Don't disagree on the BP comments (clean & jerk is more suitable) but I had to make the point because great small hockey players are constantly passed over because of their lack of size.

Outside99* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
PuckMunchkin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brownie View Post
Its amazing how better our prospect pool looks after Gillis has taken over. We actually have some high end players to look forward to.

Nonis FTL.
Yeah.. unlike Edler, Kesler, Schneider, Hansen...