HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Sixth Round Connor Knapp - G

Old
06-27-2009, 12:10 PM
Buffaloed
Administrator
Webmaster

vCash: 1280
Sixth Round Connor Knapp - G

Miami University, CCHA - All-Rookie Team
Don't know much about him except he's big 6"5" 215lb.
Stats

Behind The Mask with Connor Knapp, Miami University

Buffaloed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2009, 12:12 PM
jBuds
pretty damn valuable

vCash: 500
Keep in mind that Miami was #1 for a large portion of this past season.

He's from Rochester, local-ish boy. Played for McQuaid for 3 years I believe. Solid choice, but why the love for NCAA keepers? Miller, Eidsness, Knapp...
Posted via Mobile Device

jBuds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2009, 12:20 PM
SiriusBizinuez
Jakub might kill you

Seems to be a smart kid with some passion. And his size should keep him from being run with impugnity. I like it.

SiriusBizinuez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2009, 02:07 PM
Old Navy Goat

Quote:
Originally Posted by jBuds View Post
Keep in mind that Miami was #1 for a large portion of this past season.

He's from Rochester, local-ish boy. Played for McQuaid for 3 years I believe. Solid choice, but why the love for NCAA keepers? Miller, Eidsness, Knapp...
Posted via Mobile Device
Part of it is their development time. Darcy doesn't have to worry about rushing them and gives the goalies further time to mature.

Old Navy Goat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2009, 04:20 PM
Oilers Chick
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffaloed View Post
Miami University, CCHA - All-Rookie Team
Don't know much about him except he's big 6"5" 215lb.
Stats
Well what would you like to know about Connor? I saw Miami a ton this past season and even spoke to Connor at the Frozen Four (I felt like asking him how the weather was up there too).

Oilers Chick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2009, 04:23 PM
BlueJackets39

Send a message via AIM to BlueJackets39
I feel as if I should provide some insight. I attend Miami and have seen Knapp play for the past year. For a guy who is 6'5, he moves very well for his size, in terms of not only speed, but agility as well. His best asset, IMO, is his glove hand. He made some tremendous saves with the trapper this season. He is a bit slow post to post, but makes up for that with his size and reach.

Mainly, he split time with another freshman in goal, just because of the system that Miami's coach likes to use (he would rather play Cody Reichard, on Friday nights and Knapp on Saturday nights to see who "wins" the job). Eventually, Connor began to get more starts and take the reigns, if you will, but struggled in the second half of the season. Miami went through the tournament and into the NCAA Championship game with the other frosh, Reichard in goal.

Knapp, honestly, could go either way. The big issue here is playing time. If Reichard plays the way he did in the post-season, Knapp will ride the pine for a while, only playing to give Reichard a break. If Reichard struggles, Knapp will get more time between the pipes and will only get better. I would say he's a backup at best at the pro-level, but could very well be a serviceable AHL starter/NHL backup. As I said, the thing that will help most is playing time.

Hope this helps.

BlueJackets39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2009, 04:45 PM
Oilers Chick
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBJHawks27 View Post
I feel as if I should provide some insight. I attend Miami and have seen Knapp play for the past year. For a guy who is 6'5, he moves very well for his size, in terms of not only speed, but agility as well. His best asset, IMO, is his glove hand. He made some tremendous saves with the trapper this season. He is a bit slow post to post, but makes up for that with his size and reach.

Mainly, he split time with another freshman in goal, just because of the system that Miami's coach likes to use (he would rather play Cody Reichard, on Friday nights and Knapp on Saturday nights to see who "wins" the job). Eventually, Connor began to get more starts and take the reigns, if you will, but struggled in the second half of the season. Miami went through the tournament and into the NCAA Championship game with the other frosh, Reichard in goal.

Knapp, honestly, could go either way. The big issue here is playing time. If Reichard plays the way he did in the post-season, Knapp will ride the pine for a while, only playing to give Reichard a break. If Reichard struggles, Knapp will get more time between the pipes and will only get better. I would say he's a backup at best at the pro-level, but could very well be a serviceable AHL starter/NHL backup. As I said, the thing that will help most is playing time.

Hope this helps.
That's a pretty good assetment, but you left out a few things, so I'll fill those in.

I like his rebound control. He does a good job of stopping second and third chances. I also like the fact that he does a good job of staying square to and is willing to challenge shooters. He also plays his angles pretty well. Where I see Knapp needing to improve is in his puck-handling.

When I interviewed Connor at the Frozen Four, the thing that impressed memost was the way he articulated himself. He's a rather soft-spoken young man. And he was confident but not cocky and well-spoken too. At one point in our interview, we talked a bit about Cody. I know that it had to be hard for Connor to not be playing on college hockey's biggest stage, but he took it all in stride and had nothing but good things to say about Cody. And what I admired about that was he kept it real, no BS. He could've ditzed his teammate or whined about not playing in the Frozen Four, but he didn't. He was totally supportive of Cody. This is one of the things that I've always loved in talking to the Miami players - they're all genuine when it comes to supporting their teammates. Some players will say that they support their teammates and then turn around and ditz them behind their backs, but the RedHawks players don't. You have to admire that and that says alot about the character of the guys on the team.

Oilers Chick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2009, 06:54 PM
Irving Zisman
Really Bad Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBJHawks27 View Post

Hope this helps.

Good assesment.

I call the games for student radio and obviously saw a lot of Knapp this past year.

The skills and raw potential are unquestionably there, but Knapp's biggest issues are his overall consistency and mental game.

He'll often play lights out when he the team plays like **** and he's shelled with say 35-45 shots, only to let in a bad softie or two when the redhawks decide to lock down their own zone. I recall a game against the Sparatans this past year where he let in a back-breaking goal late in the game (for a total of 3 goals against if I remember correctly) when he faced like 14 shots, the Spartans and goaltender Jeff Lerg managed to pull off the victory despite being absolutely shelled with over 50 shots.

Like the previous poster said, postioning, rebounding control, and his glove/blocker are excellent, moving laterally is what he needs to work on (which can be an expected weakness for a kid so big).

I think he will make it to be honest, he's a pretty stable guy despite his inconsistencies which will only improve with more experience and playing time. He ain't no Miller, but I think we might see Knapp as a reliable backup down the road.

Can't wait to watch him grow this year, all let everyone know how he does

Irving Zisman is offline   Reply With Quote