HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Michael Jackson passes away at 50

Old
06-25-2009, 07:43 PM
JLHockeyKnight
IMA Real American

vCash: 500
I did like his music, and he was big, so RIP.

BUT

I don't understand why people are defending him when people bust on him for the "little boys" thing. "Because he was a musical genius?" You can say the same thing about Hitler. Military genius, but ****ed up.

</rant>

JLHockeyKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2009, 08:00 PM
CharlieGirl
Go Rangers Go

The man was one of the creepiest humans on the planet, without a doubt. But I believe he was more effed up than evil. The ultimate Peter Pan complex.

Having said that, I was a Jackson Five fan way back in the day (you young'uns have probably seen video!) and his solo album Off the Wall.

He influenced a couple of generations, and that can't be denied. Who doesn't know the moon walk?

RIP.

CharlieGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2009, 08:08 PM
Opus
Boondoggle

vCash: 875

Opus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2009, 08:33 PM
nevermore
Cap space since 2005

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLHockeyKnight View Post

BUT

I don't understand why people are defending him when people bust on him for the "little boys" thing. "Because he was a musical genius?" You can say the same thing about Hitler. Military genius, but ****ed up.

</rant>
You're comparing Michael Jackson to Hitler?

Holy ****. Bad day for celebrities.
Sure, he was creepy as hell. But still ...

Anyway, I'm off watching the Smooth Criminal video.

nevermore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2009, 08:50 PM
Jefferson Rank*

With each beer I get a little more depressed about this.

It's an ominous sign for 3AM when I'm shirtless on the balcony crying and playing some crap like The Girl is Mine.

Jefferson Rank* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2009, 09:00 PM
UseYourAllusion

I said it in the OBT, but this is the better venue, Jackson hit a pinnacle no artist ever has. Bad and Thriller are untouchable albums. I miss him already.

UseYourAllusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2009, 09:21 PM
Haute Couturier

I don't know why my posts were singled for deletions when others made jokes and mentioned how much of a creep he is, but whatever.

Haute Couturier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2009, 09:25 PM
Murphy7
Drop the puck

Jacko has left the building.
I'm not meaning to be cruel, but the Michael Jackson I knew and grew up listening to has been gone for some time now.

Murphy7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2009, 09:26 PM
dbr2
Lockout Beard

Send a message via AIM to dbr2
Pretty weird he's dead.

RIP MJ! People will be listening his music for many more years to come.

dbr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2009, 12:10 AM
Miss Mess

I was so shocked when I heard this, it is hard to believe. I always loved him, I used to try to dance like him when I was little, do the moonwalk, etc. His music is amazing.
There will never be another artist like him.

Miss Mess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2009, 07:29 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Murphy7 View Post
Jacko has left the building.
I'm not meaning to be cruel, but the Michael Jackson I knew and grew up listening to has been gone for some time now.
Kind of my thinking of well. His sanity left a long time ago.

RIP no less, his influence will be felt forever.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Mess View Post
I was so shocked when I heard this, it is hard to believe. I always loved him, I used to try to dance like him when I was little, do the moonwalk, etc. His music is amazing.
There will never be another artist like him.
Who didn't try to moonwalk?

Stop Feeding the Rumor-Monger

"I wonder if Norstrom has Forsberg's spleen mounted on his wall." - KINGS17

My 50 Favorite Albums of 2014 (sorry it's late)
GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2009, 07:39 AM
Kambo

Send a message via AIM to Kambo
Definitely a surprise. I was never a huge fan of his, but I can't deny his music. "Thriller" is and will always will be the single most awesome thing I have ever seen.

That being said, my friend said to me last night if you get too upset by this, all you have to do is imagine Zombie MJ jumping out of his casket and doing the Thriller. It may come across in bad taste, but it made me smile.

Kambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2009, 12:46 PM
Spongolium*
Potato Magician

Reports about michel jackson going into cardiac arrest are all false!!!! he went into the childrens ward and had a stroke

Spongolium* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2009, 02:15 PM
Jefferson Rank*

You're so clever.

Jefferson Rank* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2009, 02:15 PM
Spongolium*
Potato Magician

Why thank you

Spongolium* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2009, 04:04 PM
mikedifr

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyHigh View Post
You know, say what you want, but Thriller is just an insane album and ones like Bad aren't bad either, RIP.
I even loved his last two...Blood on the Dance Floor and Invinvible...Invinvible was such an underrated album in my opinion....

Quote:
Originally Posted by 46zone View Post
I got sick of that song about a week after its release. It was on every god damn minute...and I was like six too, it's hard to annoy someone that young.

So he's dead. Big deal, the guy was a ****in creep.

As you can tell I'm not too sentimental.
The song Thriller gets old quickly, unless you are watching the video, but the rest of the album is frigin amazing!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForsbergIsOdin View Post
Despite my heavy metal background, one of the firsts things I remember listening to nonstop was thriller, more specifically, Beat it.

But whatever, **** Micheal Jackson. EDDIE VAN MOTHER****IN HALEN WROTE THAT **** ANYWAY

At any rate, our children are now safe.
EVH is another wacko....He played the solo, the rest of that song was Steve Lukather!! In fact, Toto was basically the backing bank on more than half that album!! Amazing music!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyClarkeFan16 View Post
You know, I don't really feel sad with regards to Michael Jackson. He looked like he'd been knocking on death's door for years. He did not look healthy for years.

I think Farrah Fawcet is a real sad case because she fought to the end. She tried radical treatments outside of the states and she wasn't going to go down without a fight. That cancer is a dirty thing. Seen too many lives taken from that disease.......
The rumor is anorexia, wouldnt surprise me with how he looked....

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLHockeyKnight View Post

BUT

</rant>
Try this one JLHockey...Here is why I have and will continue to defend the guy.

1) First off, the guy was a performer....How many rap stars, rock stars, etc. are pieces of trash in their personal life and people love them??? Rap stars kill each other for god sake....With that said, ignoring his personal life, anyone that is a fan of music in general cannot deny the impact he had. He is this generation's Elvis. He was my first favorite musician. I still remember being 4-5 years old watching the moonwalk for the first time on the Motown Special and my jaw just dropped!!!! Plus, a lot of people dont realize the control he had over his career from the songs, to the production, to the arrangments...The guy was a studio perfectionist!! Not to mention the fashion (How many people in the 80s did NOT have one of those jackets???) to his video which were all basically his creation as well. The guy was a pure genius, plain and simple.

2) As for the personal stuff, my take on it is this:

Regardless of whether he did it or not, someone does not just wake up one day and decide he/she is going to molest children. MJ was a terribly troubled, disturbed person throuhout his life. He was apparently abused by his father....He was certainly pushed into fame at such an early age. Never had a true childhood, basically had to grow up when he was 9...didnt experience things like most of us did. Now, I dont have sympathy for celebritys that complain about the fame if they choose it as an adult and yes he chose to stay in it, but the problem was he was too young for it when it first happened....As we see with movie stars, when they hit fame too young they get all screwed up.

Essentially, the way I look at is that he emotional growth and maturity basically stopped at 9-10 years old....He was a confused little 10 year old until he died yesterday! He never grew up...Tried to cling to a "childhood" that he never had via neverland, always hanging around with kids, etc. On top of that, he never had someone teach him anything about intimacy with others....He didnt know how to have relationships with adults or children. All of that resulted in a very sick man/boy.

The tragedy in my opinion is that NO ONE, ever made him get the help he needed. Yes he, like all other sick individuals probably surrounded himself with enablers...but where the hell was his family all those years???? Very very sad....

In many ways I look at him the same as someone who suffers from cancer for many years, albeit his issues were mental before they became physical.

I wll miss his music and his influence on the industry...I was patiently waiting for new music that he was supposedly working on the past 4-5 years and was even debating going to Europe to see him on his tour.

RIP Michael, you are finally at peace...You will surely be missed!

mikedifr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2009, 04:08 PM
FlyersGuy69

Send a message via AIM to FlyersGuy69
definitely an iconic figure but a total creep too...good riddance.

RIP Farrah Fawcett.

FlyersGuy69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2009, 04:10 PM
BobbyClarkeFan16

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikedifr View Post
EVH is another wacko....He played the solo, the rest of that song was Steve Lukather!! In fact, Toto was basically the backing bank on more than half that album!! Amazing music!
In defense of Ed (I love VH), he was a drunk and an adulterer. He's admitted to such. His boozing might have done some damage to his brain, but he never had a thing for kids. Yes, he's kicked band members and vocalists out of the band, but he NEVER had a taste for children. While Jackson might have never been convicted on child molestation charges, fact is, many of the jurors in his child molester case gave him a not guilty verdict simply because of the mother of one of his victims. That speaks a lot about Jackson.

I guess we'll never know about what really happened in Michael's house and I don't think we should really care either. Fact is, there's three kids who are without their father and that's the real tragedy behind the Michael Jackson death.

BobbyClarkeFan16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2009, 05:31 PM
Miss Mess

I finally stopped thinking about his death yesterday, then my cellphone goes off.... and my ringtone is "smooth criminal". Unreal.

I've been happy to hear his music all over the radio the last 2 days. I've been blasting it.

Miss Mess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2009, 10:24 PM
JXC
#LaviPondHockeyFail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Mess View Post
I've been happy to hear his music all over the radio the last 2 days. I've been blasting it.
I had forgotten how much of it there is, and how wide the range is. I have been cranking it up, too.

JXC is offline   Reply With Quote