Notices

Draft grade?

Old
06-27-2009, 01:24 PM
ceber

vCash: 500
Draft grade?

Rnd Pick Ov Team Player D.O.B. Birth Place Cty Ht Wt League Team Pos
1 16 16 MIN NICK LEDDY Mar 20, 1991 EDEN PRAIRIE, MN US 5' 11" 179 HIGH-MN EDEN PRAIRIE D
3 16 77 MIN MATTHEW HACKETT Mar 7, 1990 LONDON, ON CA 6' 2" 170 OHL PLYMOUTH G
4 12 103 MIN KRISTOPHER FOUCAULT Dec 12, 1990 CALGARY, AB CA 6' 1" 202 WHL CALGARY LW
4 25 116 MIN A FALLSTROM Sep 15, 1990 GOTHENBURG SE 6' 2" 192 HIGH-MN SHAT.ST.MARY'S RW
6 10 161 MIN DARCY KUEMPER May 5, 1990 SASKATOON, SK CA 6' 4" 195 WHL RED DEER G
6 12 163 MIN JERE SALLINEN Oct 26, 1990 ESPOO FI 6' 0" 183 FINLAND-JR. BLUES JR. RW; LW;
7 1 182 MIN ERIK HAULA Mar 23, 1991 PORI FI 5' 11" 170 HIGH-MN SHAT.ST.MARY'S LW
7 12 193 MIN ANTHONY HAMBURG Aug 30, 1991 HOUSTON, TX US 6' 1" 185 MIDGET DALLAS STARS AAA C

So, whaddya think? Leddy a reach? If he's still got some growing to do (sounds like team expects that... 6'2" wingspan, did I hear that somewhere?) he could be a nice catch. I kinda wonder if they stayed away from Schroeder because he's peaked physically. Not bad to grab the Gs, especially if we're going to move Harding. Interesting to see Haula drop that far. Team is probably happy with the draft. Got the guy they wanted, an NHLer we can probably use with experience with the coach, and more picks than we started with.

ceber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2009, 05:51 PM
Jbcraig1883

Overall, I'd give it a B+.

I do feel that Leddy was a bit of a reach and feel that there was a good chance to be there at the 26th pick but I can't confirm that in any way.

I would have liked to get a second pick for CO Roussel or Budish but they both went to the Preds.

I like the Hackett pick as goalies are impossible to judge, but he seems to be a late bloomer and has gotten to work with NHLers due to his uncle. I also really like the Haula and Fallstrom picks--they seem to be Franzen/Holmstrom type players, which will be quite useful in any system.

It sounds like Foucault is a late bloomer as well; a big body with some hands...might turn out well.

The second goalie, Sallinen and Hamburg...can't find too much on them but as for the goalie, you never know so can't have too many goalies in the system at this point.

I think Fletcher grabbing the third and the other pick that helped them get Brodziak is showing his ability to use assets to acquire something of equal or better value. Sure, it may not pan out...but Risebrough seemed to overpay for the same value.

All in all, I like it.

It seems that with Gillies/Clutterbuck/Fritsche??who knows now/Brodziak/Almond/McMillan/Kalus/Haula/Fallstrom, we will have some potentially good physical forechecking teams in the future.

Jbcraig1883 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2009, 05:55 PM
Selanne08*

i love love love the haula pick in the 7th

overall i say B+ because im not sure about Leddy

Selanne08* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2009, 02:21 AM
passive voice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Selanne08 View Post
i love love love the haula pick in the 7th

overall i say B+ because im not sure about Leddy
Shocking that Haula fell that far. Given that he came to North America so young, I've gotta think he's really driven to make the show. Now, after basically being told by every GM in the league--repeatedly--that he wasn't worth increasingly worthless picks...I mean, I can't imagine a kid with more motivation.

passive voice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2009, 08:46 AM
a79krgm

Send a message via AIM to a79krgm
B+ .... By our standards (the Wild) I think we did well.

It's tough to judge Leddy at this point because he's 4 years away. I think we just need to go on the track record of Minnesota bred players and the fact that Leddy was in the top 3 of those Minnesota kids available.

Also, I was very pleased to see Fletch get that 3rd rounder and then pick Hackett who was one of this years best goaltender prospects. We desperately needed another puckstopper in the system.

And finally, the two Shattuck boys from Sweden/Finland look interesting. I wouldn't
be surprised to see one of them get to the show.

a79krgm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2009, 10:21 AM
Surly Furious

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jocksta18 View Post
Overall, I'd give it a B+.

I think Fletcher grabbing the third and the other pick that helped them get Brodziak is showing his ability to use assets to acquire something of equal or better value. Sure, it may not pan out...but Risebrough seemed to overpay for the same value.

Well said.

Surly Furious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2009, 03:20 PM
firstroundbust
lacks explosiveness

A-

I say it because its not one of those flashy drafts, but we started with 6 picks, ended up with 8 and a roster player.

-we filled goalie depth, including two goalies that Bob Mason and Tommy Thompson absolutely wanted
-Fallstrom and Haula could be gems; both are late developers, and just lack strength. Sallinen appears to be your feisty two-way winger, and Hamburg is a project but I've heard some good things about him.
-Leddy fits in perfectly to what Brown Fox wants to do, and is still developing physically, but you can teach hockey sense and skating.

I don't think we got that marquee talent per se, but we got a bunch of players that have some serious game but just lack physical maturation.

firstroundbust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2009, 03:54 PM
Abraham85

I say B+. I'm actually thrilled about every player that was picked, especially Foucault, simply because he seems to be the exact opposite of a player that DR would have picked: a goalscorer who seems like a high risk - high reward kind of prospect.

Abraham85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2009, 04:49 PM
Jbcraig1883

Can you tell us what you have heard about Hamburg? I see he played midgets, but that is about it. I also heard he was planning on playing in the USHL next year. Has he committed to any colleges?

Also, anyone know anything on Sallinen, other then he was injured and did not play a lot last year?

Jbcraig1883 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2009, 09:11 PM
NHL33*

I must say, as an Avs fan I was completely pissed to see Haula go two picks in front of us! Great job drafting him.

NHL33* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2009, 11:12 PM
State of Hockey

C-

Poor value for the #12 overall is partly negated by good value in later picks and the Brodziak deal.

State of Hockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2009, 12:51 AM
Rabid Husky

Right now a C. I don't think Leddy was the right choice with Moore still on the board and the rest of them of are years away.

Rabid Husky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2009, 08:08 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

I'll go A-.

Every pick has the potential to be an exciting or impact player, none of these safe grinders that DR would pick up. Trading down and still getting their man plus the top rated goalie was very savvy.

This team has zero prospect depth, so the best move would be to get as many picks as possible and take high risk high reward players. Next year will probably be even better.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2009, 03:48 PM
firstroundbust
lacks explosiveness

Quote:
Can you tell us what you have heard about Hamburg? I see he played midgets, but that is about it. I also heard he was planning on playing in the USHL next year. Has he committed to any colleges?

Also, anyone know anything on Sallinen, other then he was injured and did not play a lot last year?

based off the scouting reports I've seen, Hamburg has immense offensive talent; a natural goal scorer and has some soft hands and playmaking ability...

BUT...

His skating needs serious work, his drive has been questioned, and he has shown no interest in playing defense.

A "leap of faith" type pick for this kid might be an understatement.

I think he's going to play for Omaha (USHL) this year; he's only a HS senior.

As far as Sallinen, Tommy Thompson on Sid's radio show (if there was ever a guy that should just retire its Sid) said that Sallinen is your prototypical two-way guy, but he's Jarkko Ruutu-like in that he gets under the opponent's skin. He fell through the cracks because of his back injury but the Euro scouts liked him quite a bit.

He sounds like he's got some promise, but having a wonky back myself, that's not exactly something that just goes away.

firstroundbust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2009, 05:31 PM
bombenhagen

From what I know, Hamburg was one of those kids that looked like a sure NHLer when he was 14 or so, then kinda didn't take the next steps so to say. If getting drafted by an NHL team help can help his motivation, he maybe a great pick. As far as the rest of the draft goes, all the picks other than Leddy imo were great choices. There was just too much there at 12 to fall back and take Leddy imo. Fletch and the boys might have pulled off a nice pick though, who knows? Overall from me is a B. I'm knocking one full letter grade off for the Leddy pick and the pointless Brodziak trade. Just my opinion.

bombenhagen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2009, 02:18 PM
WreckItRask

Quote:

Just an FYI, Hamburg is heading to Colgate University in the fall of 2010. He'll spend a year in the USHL, and will be a Freshman at Colgate the following year.

WreckItRask is offline   Reply With Quote