HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Second Round Pick: Canucks Select Anton Rodin

Old
06-27-2009, 07:18 PM
digger18

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by y2kcanucks View Post
I like Doherty too, although he was ranked somewhere in the late 3rd round. He was a bit of a reach where he went.

I also like how you didn't go with any puck moving defensemen. Both defensemen you stated you'd have taken are stay-at-home defensemen...throw them in the pile with Rahimi and Ellington.
Are you sold that the D we did get are going to mold into superior puck movers?

digger18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2009, 07:22 PM
PuckMunchkin

Quote:
Originally Posted by digger18 View Post
They are more likely to.

Patience. Only time will tell.

PuckMunchkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2009, 07:22 PM
CASUAL KEV
Jack Adams™

Rodin has not reached his full size yet. Henrik Zetterberg was drafted at 5'11 176lbs the same as Rodin. Now hes 5'11 195. Point is players dont stop growing at 18.

CASUAL KEV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2009, 07:23 PM
Britton

Quote:
Again...would people agree that Rodin is a good comparison to Linus Omark? I'm just trying to get a handle on what this kid is about and what his potential may be...
I think a pretty good comparison could be Lars Eller. From the description of Rodin he sounds like he has a very similar skill set to Eller and they had very similar numbers in their draft years.

Britton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2009, 07:25 PM
PuckMunchkin

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanuKer View Post
Rodin has not reached his full size yet. Henrik Zetterberg was drafted at 5'11 176lbs the same as Rodin. Now hes 5'11 195. Point is players dont stop growing at 18.
Maturing in to his frame yeah..

I find it interesting that Zetterberg has not gained any height after being drafted.

PuckMunchkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2009, 07:25 PM
Barney Gumble

Quote:
Don't forget the signing of free agent Evan Oberg.

Barney Gumble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2009, 07:33 PM
digger18

I can undertsand our need for puck moving D. And if you have a chance to pick a smaller player who is a clear cut offensive threat, then you do it over the bigger stay at home type of guy. Hopefully I am wrong and the D we drafted today will fill the need of having true puck movers in our depth chart. Dont forget that they are going to have to crack the top 4 someday, to make that happen. I am not sold that the guys we got tody will amount to be the clear cut offensive threats we are looking for.

digger18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2009, 07:40 PM
God
Free Citizen

Quote:
I can undertsand our need for puck moving D. And if you have a chance to pick a smaller player who is a clear cut offensive threat, then you do it over the bigger stay at home type of guy. Hopefully I am wrong and the D we drafted today will fill the need of having true puck movers in our depth chart. Dont forget that they are going to have to crack the top 4 someday, to make that happen. I am not sold that the guys we got tody will amount to be the clear cut offensive threats we are looking for.
Nobody is. These are 2nd to 7th round picks.

God is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2009, 07:48 PM
thefeebster

Quote:
Again...would people agree that Rodin is a good comparison to Linus Omark? I'm just trying to get a handle on what this kid is about and what his potential may be...
I can not seem to find any videos on him, only Omark. But i do see some similarities in the way people describe them - ability to score unbelievable goals, high offensive upside, great skater and dangler, both a bit on the smaller side and both need to add strength. Seems pretty similar, but i think we need a larger sample size of videos to be sure.

So any videos, please post guys!

Heres some info i've found (Not much on the web):
Old ISS
Quote:
RISING:

Anton Rodin - W (Brynas Jr.) 11/21/90, 5-11/174

Rodin tore up the U20 5 Nations tournament in Turku, Finland in early Feb, scoring 4 goals and 3 assists in 4 games, including a big 2 goal, 1 assist performance in a 4-1 win over Switzerland and was named game MVP. Rodin also took game MVP honours in a 5-4 shootout loss to Finland during the tournament. Perhaps the fastest rising and improving talent in Sweden at the moment, Rodin has proved to be an effective scorer, and can score unbelievable goals on a regular basis. A tremendous puck handler, Rodin currently has 34 pts in 23 games with Brynas in the Swedish J20 SuperElit league and has also seen time with Oskarshamn in the Allsvenskan, which is the 2nd highest Swedish Men’s league. Rodin has top tier offensive talent, but does need to build his physical strength to continue to able to play the style he brings at the next level.

thefeebster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2009, 08:19 PM
AgentNaslund*

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanuKer View Post
I red somehwere when he was drafted he was 5'8.

AgentNaslund* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2009, 08:29 PM
God
Free Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by AgentNaslund View Post
I red somehwere when he was drafted he was 5'8.
I think that was Datsyuk. He was like 5'8 and 150 pounds.

God is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2009, 08:31 PM
Lucbourdon
Kefka cheers for Van

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucbourdon View Post
Ok I have a question!:

I noticed he is not on the world Junior roster
http://www.tsn.ca/world_jrs/feature/?id=4465

Yet his age seems to be about right to be in it.
Does that mean he was not good enough to make the team?
Bump for answer

Lucbourdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2009, 08:34 PM
parabola
Global Moderator
novus ordo seclorum

I just want to point out that we drafted:

(as I stated in the other thread before)

and here...

These nicknames need to catch on IMO.

06-27-2009, 08:36 PM
pitseleh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucbourdon View Post
Bump for answer
He probably wasn't good enough last year.

I wouldn't take that as an indictment of his play though, all of the first time draft eligibles on that list (like Hedman, MPS, Rundblad, etc.) were first rounders in this draft.

pitseleh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2009, 08:43 PM
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality

Send a message via AIM to y2kcanucks
Quote:
Superior to who, Doherty? Yes. Superior compared to others around the league? Probably not. But they could perhaps end up being bottom pairing puck movers. Or maybe they develop into top 4 puck moving defensemen. Either way, they address a need.

y2kcanucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2009, 08:46 PM
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality

Send a message via AIM to y2kcanucks
Quote:
Originally Posted by Britton View Post
I think a pretty good comparison could be Lars Eller. From the description of Rodin he sounds like he has a very similar skill set to Eller and they had very similar numbers in their draft years.
Eller is more of a playmaker than a goal scorer though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefeebster View Post
I can not seem to find any videos on him, only Omark. But i do see some similarities in the way people describe them - ability to score unbelievable goals, high offensive upside, great skater and dangler, both a bit on the smaller side and both need to add strength. Seems pretty similar, but i think we need a larger sample size of videos to be sure.

So any videos, please post guys!

Heres some info i've found (Not much on the web):
Old ISS
Yeah some video would be nice. But based on what I've read, it seems like the two are very similar.

y2kcanucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2009, 09:09 PM
NFITO
hockeyinsanity*****

I just read through this thread, and I can't believe the amount of complaining about "size" ... as if "size" is the only thing that matters for some reason, and any 18 YO kid who's not bigger than 6'2" right now shouldn't be expected to grow into that. Like all our draft picks were all small players??

There was ONE small player taken by the Canucks in this draft, and to me, it was an excellent pick.

It was the type of pick that past regimes, obsessed with "size," would have past on to instead go after that big player instead.

The Canucks took the right player, IMO, in the 1st round, who really is the only real small guy that the Canucks took!

The 2nd round pick is 5'11" at 18 YO... given that none of us have really seen this kid play, what defines this pick as a small pick? if he doesn't grow any more, but gains some weight to round out his frame through the next few years, size is less of an issue than how he plays... this kid is just not Patrick Kane small at all.

maybe some people see a guy just under 6' and write him off as being a soft player... maybe they just stick with their stereotypes, being a Swede, under 6' he has to be soft...

personally, I care more about the player he really is... and right now, my entire impression of him is from scouting reports:

Quote:
does not shy away from playing physical. Could use some more strength though
that tells me more than he could develop into a player were "size" isn't a factor.

From the scouting reports, it doesn't at all sound like Rodin is some midget weak player that can't play in a physical environment.

the rest of the team's picks all have size. 6'1" at 18 doesn't mean they'll remain in their slight frames through their development... they could easily gain an inch in the next couple years as well, and they all have the body to round out into decent size players... we're not talking 5'8" defenders here! and one of the picks is already at 6'5"

The entire "size" issue in this draft boils down to the first round. And I'm glad that an organization that has been obsessed with size for so long, didn't let yet another more skilled player pass them by. I was glad they didn't take the bigger Beach last season, and glad they didn't pass up on Schroeder this year. After that pick, size is just not an issue - there were no "small" prospects taken.

NFITO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2009, 09:32 PM
Ernie

I like his name.

It's the same as my favorite classical artist. You know, the guy who made this:

Ernie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2009, 07:48 AM
Pellegrino

Rödin plays for my local team, I've followed him for the last 3-4 years. He's kinda late bloomer and that's why he's not more hyped. Don't worry about his size, he has great balance and his hits are hard. He and Pääjärvi-Svensson are probably the best fastest players among the swedes in this draft. I think Rödin can be a very entertaining powerforward in the NHL, but you'll have to wait a while before he can do the job over there.

Pellegrino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2009, 08:01 AM
Pellegrino

Canucks scout Inge Hammarström (former Brynäs player) admits he was pushing for Canucks to pick Rödin.

"I'm very happy Anton was still available when we chose, I've been pushing hard for him"

"Anton has everything that is needed to become a good hockeyplayer, he has the winning instinct and is willing to pay the price to reach the top. I think he can surprise many in Brynäs this winter."

http://gd.se/sport/ishockey/brynas/1.1155538

Anton Rödin will feature in a NHL training camp soon, July 6.

"****ing fun to get picked, it's really something special and it was a little bit earlier than I had counted on. Vancouver seem to be a good team with many swedes, but otherwise I don't know too much."

http://gd.se/sport/ishockey/brynas/1.1155712

Maybe not a perfect translation but they say something like that. Brynäs also had 2 other of theirp players drafted, Silfverberg (Ottawas second round pick) and Bertilsson (Flyers third round pick) so the articles from the local newspaper are about all 3.

Pellegrino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2009, 11:15 AM
windflare

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pellegrino View Post
Canucks scout Inge Hammarström (former Brynäs player) admits he was pushing for Canucks to pick Rödin.

"I'm very happy Anton was still available when we chose, I've been pushing hard for him"

"Anton has everything that is needed to become a good hockeyplayer, he has the winning instinct and is willing to pay the price to reach the top. I think he can surprise many in Brynäs this winter."

http://gd.se/sport/ishockey/brynas/1.1155538

Anton Rödin will feature in a NHL training camp soon, July 6.

"****ing fun to get picked, it's really something special and it was a little bit earlier than I had counted on. Vancouver seem to be a good team with many swedes, but otherwise I don't know too much."

http://gd.se/sport/ishockey/brynas/1.1155712

Maybe not a perfect translation but they say something like that. Brynäs also had 2 other of theirp players drafted, Silfverberg (Ottawas second round pick) and Bertilsson (Flyers third round pick) so the articles from the local newspaper are about all 3.
Thanks!

Google Translate didn't work out too badly, actually.

http://translate.google.com/translat...istory_state0=

windflare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2009, 01:21 PM
pitseleh

Inge Hammarstrom is a Canucks scout now? That's pretty cool, he was Philadelphia's head of European scouting for a long time. He was the one who pushed them hard to pick Forsberg well ahead of where he was projected to go.

EDIT: I guess Philadelphia fired him last year.

EDIT2: Here's what Gradin says about Rodin:

Quote:
"They're picking teams now, not just coaches who want to have the best players," said Gradin. "Before, nobody wanted to work and nobody wanted to forecheck -- and now we're the hard-working Swedes."

Rodin, 18, falls into that category. The 5-foot-11, 174 pound Stockholm native had 55 points (29-26) in 37 games for Brynas in the under-20 junior elite league.

He also played six games for Oskarshamn in the second division of the men's elite league and will play for Brynas in the first division men's league this fall.

Rodin was twice named game MVP at the Five Nations Tournament in February where he had seven points (4-3) in four games and has been invited to Sweden national junior camp.

He's been on the Canucks' radar for more than two years.

"He's a fast skater with good hands and he is a scorer. What makes him an exceptional guy is that he's a real hard worker," added Gradin. "He reminds me of Anders Hedberg."
http://www.faceoff.com/hockey/teams/...%3Fid%3D894638

Last edited by pitseleh: 06-28-2009 at 01:31 PM.
Old
06-28-2009, 01:28 PM
Blane Youngblood

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitseleh View Post
Inge Hammarstrom is a Canucks scout now? That's pretty cool, he was Philadelphia's head of European scouting for a long time. He was the one who pushed them hard to pick Forsberg well ahead of where he was projected to go.

EDIT: I guess Philadelphia fired him last year.
Or we just drove up to his house with a dump truck filled with cash.

Blane Youngblood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2009, 05:55 PM
pitseleh

Quote:
Originally Posted by jin View Post
Or we just drove up to his house with a dump truck filled with cash.
That works too.

Apparently they weren't happy with the players they were getting out of him but really they only Scandinavian they picked in the first 4 rounds was Joni Pitkanen and he's turned into a good pick all things considered.

Anyway, it's nice to have someone with his track record working for our team.

Old
06-28-2009, 06:11 PM
Outside99*
Sedins off Kas

As a side note to this, Jason La Barbera's goalie coach when he was getting into the NHL was Sam St. Laurent who I understand was good friends with Pelle Lindberg (rest in peace), the great young Swedish goaltender for the Philadelphia Flyers. But that was before Hammastrom.

Last edited by Outside99*: 06-28-2009 at 06:18 PM.
Outside99* is offline   Reply With Quote