HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

Strange Drafting...

Old
06-21-2009, 03:37 AM
RyanMac

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to RyanMac Send a message via MSN to RyanMac
Quote:
Originally Posted by drew1234 View Post
Parise was ranked 9th and fell to 17th where NJ traded up to select him.

The Edmonton Oilers trade the 17th pick (Zach Parise) to the New Jersey Devils for the 22nd pick (Marc-Antoine Pouliot) and the 68th pick (Jean-Francois Jacques).

Sorry EDM fans..
I just remember Bob McKenzie and co shaking their heads as Parise fell. One particular moment I remember them chastizing the Islanders for passing on Parise to select Nilsson I believe.

RyanMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2009, 03:57 AM
BritSabre

Trevor Lewis was 3rd round value, Kings took him mid 1st.

BritSabre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2009, 04:25 AM
Blane Youngblood

Quote:
Originally Posted by lambofgod View Post
Patrick White......
I really wish bitter Canucks fans would give this a break. He was rated 33rd by ISS (23rd amoung NA skaters by CSS) and was picked 26th.

Is he a bust? Probably.
Should the Canucks have picked him? Probably not.
Was I mad when we picked him? Hell yes.

Was he a huge reach that even somewhat matches the criteria of this thread? No.

Blane Youngblood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2009, 04:27 AM
Qvist

Very true - White was selected right around where he was projected, and to boot the Canucks were looking for a center. I followed that particular draft on a Canucks board, and there wasn't much of either disgruntlement or surprise at the time.

cheers

Qvist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2009, 05:50 AM
timw33

Quote:
Originally Posted by lambofgod View Post
Patrick White......
Yeah, he cause he was ranked in the middle rounds by all scouting services right?

timw33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2009, 06:50 AM
kynen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qvist View Post
1999 - Branislav Mezei (Florida, 10th) was widely regarded a late first-rounder
Mezei was drafted by the Islanders.

kynen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2009, 09:33 AM
Qvist

Right you are, sorry.

cheers

Old
06-21-2009, 11:09 AM
SLAPSHOT723
Look out!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by damesh View Post
They took Bailey while Cody Hodgson was still on the board, even at the time that was puzzling move.
For whatever reason, Garth hated Cody Hodgson. He only gave him a 5 minute interview at the Combine and Hodgson hadn't heard from them in any other occasion.

And Bailey was rated 12th, drafted 9th. That's normal at a draft.

SLAPSHOT723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2009, 11:43 AM
JaysCyYoung

Quote:
Originally Posted by skunt View Post
http://www.islesinfo.com/1998-Draft.html

Here's a vid of Bob McKenzie attempting to explain it.
Thanks so much!

JaysCyYoung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2009, 02:31 PM
Qvist

Quote:
Originally Posted by slapshot723 View Post
For whatever reason, Garth hated Cody Hodgson. He only gave him a 5 minute interview at the Combine and Hodgson hadn't heard from them in any other occasion.

I'd still say that was a pretty big surprise. It was a very consensual top 9 last year, no one was expected to break into it and certainly not Bailey, who was billed as a third-line type and projected to go around the middle of the first round.

cheers

Old
06-22-2009, 05:52 AM
mm11

Quote:
Originally Posted by schenn29 View Post
Rick Dipietro is a joke for a 1st overall., lol

Hardly a joke my friend. The guy has all world talent, the last year and a half he had some setbacks injury wise but was well on his way to becomeing an Elite NHL tender. All of this behind some terrible NY Isles teams. DP will get his day. He is a fierce competitor and never quits. The young Isles lead by Tavares (hopefully), Okposo and DP will be a eastern force soon enough...

mm11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2009, 07:47 AM
tony d
RIP Hot Rod

In his draft year Petr Sykora was supposed to go top 5 but he slipped to #17.

For a riser I'll go with Nik Antropov. In 1998 THN had him going in the late-2nd round but Toronto picked him at #10.

tony d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2009, 12:54 PM
JaysCyYoung

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony d View Post
In his draft year Petr Sykora was supposed to go top 5 but he slipped to #17.

For a riser I'll go with Nik Antropov. In 1998 THN had him going in the late-2nd round but Toronto picked him at #10.
The most interesting thing about that pick was that the Leafs originally held the eighth overall selection (one before Rupp was picked) and Chicago desperately wanted Mark Bell of the Ottawa 67s. They ended up swapping picks with the Leafs to draft Bell, Rupp was taken by the Isles, and Big Nick was picked up by Toronto. It makes me wonder if the Leafs still would have taken Antropov with their original pick had they not moved out of the #8 spot that year.

JaysCyYoung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2009, 01:39 PM
number 19

So what this has taught me is if you have a hunch about a guy, don't take him too early and only use a later pick, it hardly works out.

number 19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2009, 12:35 AM
Barney Gumble

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaysCyYoung View Post
I believe that he was the prospect that the Red Wings were extremely high on, Vancouver's scouting staff discovered this and then made the decision to draft him before Detroit could having never seen him play (or only a couple times -- I can't remember which story) solely because of Hakan Andersson's impeccable European draft record. I could be wrong though.
Nah, different player (Alexander Edler). Understandable though - given that they both were rather obscure Swedish defensemen at the time that the Canucks drafted in the 3rd round (within a couple years of each other).

Thomas Gradin (the Canucks European scout) actually heard about Edler from a source of his (whether the source got it indirectly/directly as a result of Andersson or not, who knows); his interest peaked, he decided to see this guy play. He liked sufficiently what he saw to convince Nonis to acquire a 3rd round pick to draft him (Canucks at the time didn't have a pick and knew or felt the Red Wings would've selected him by the time they had a pick they could use).

At least, that's Gradin's version of the story.

As for this thread's subject......here's an old story about Punch Imlach (back when he was the GM of the Sabres):

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taro_Tsujimoto

I never knew Punch had a sense of humor.

Last edited by Barney Gumble: 06-28-2009 at 01:29 AM.
Barney Gumble is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2009, 12:48 AM
Mathletic

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefifthsedin View Post
josh 'oh my gosh' bailey

garth snow traded up for him to everyones surprise
what's wrong with him?

Mathletic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2009, 01:36 AM
FrankGrimes

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredez View Post
I heard that story before and always wondered :With the guy being such an unknown, why not pick him in the 2nd-3rd or later rounds? They must have good enough proof that other teams know about him in a situation like this, no?
Re Adrian Foster...

He was really highly ranked over a year before the draft but had a huge string of injuries and missed about a year and a half straight so he fell right off the radar for most teams.

As for why he was picked in the first I can only guess that the Devils felt he was such a boom-bust type that he would either develop into a solid player or be ruined by his injuries, and therefore if this happened in the next two years (before he signed a contract) his first-round status would allow them to pick up a compensatory pick for losing him.

Complete speculation, just trying to make sense of it any way possible.

FrankGrimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2009, 02:40 AM
forty47seven

Quote:
Originally Posted by slapshot723 View Post

It's not like Bailey was a terrible pick either.

If he hadn't played in the NHL this year, he probably would have had a Hodgson like season with Hodgson like hype. Bailey would have been a key player with Canada at the WJC and with the Memorial Cup Champion Spitfires.

Micheal Grabner at 14 was strange pick in 2006. He was ranked in the mid 30's, I think. I was at the draft in Vancouver that year. There were a lot of confused fans in the stand wondering who he was. He's still a pretty decent prospect. Hopefully he gets a couple game in the show this year.

forty47seven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2009, 03:29 AM
MS

Going back a bit further, Yves Racine and Doug Zmolek were completely out-of-the-blue top-10 picks in 1987 and 1989, respectively. Both were rated down around the late 2nd, early 3rd rounds, and both actually went on to have serviceable careers.

Morris, Wheeler, Riihijarvi, Bautin, Niinimaki, Foster have all been mentioned.

Most agonizing draft-day fall of all time has to be Colagiacomo in 1997. Was rated in the 'teens, and the TV guys started speculating at his possible selection at pick 12 or 13. Sat through the rest of the first round, and the second, and the third. Finally went #82 overall in the 4th round. Was shown on TV looking crushed after every pick.

MS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2009, 03:49 AM
Ched Brosky

Quote:
Originally Posted by forty47seven View Post
It's not like Bailey was a terrible pick either.

If he hadn't played in the NHL this year, he probably would have had a Hodgson like season with Hodgson like hype. Bailey would have been a key player with Canada at the WJC and with the Memorial Cup Champion Spitfires.

Micheal Grabner at 14 was strange pick in 2006. He was ranked in the mid 30's, I think. I was at the draft in Vancouver that year. There were a lot of confused fans in the stand wondering who he was. He's still a pretty decent prospect. Hopefully he gets a couple game in the show this year.
I was at that draft and I remember everyone around me going who??? He better be good

Ched Brosky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2009, 04:09 AM
ilovetheflyers8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vakar Lajos View Post
STRAAANGE?

2003: Panthers picking Ovechkin reasoning that because of leap years he was actually eligible!

1974: Sabres pick Taro Tsujimoto - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taro_Tsujimoto

Hickey and Wheeler are the ones I distinctly remember thinking, "Who?"
Just wanted to add on to the Taro Tsujimoto story as I found some info that Wikipedia doesn't provide

"In the mid-70s, the World Hockey Association was putting up some competition for the NHL's players. To avoid the WHA's watchful eyes, the NHL held the 1974 draft in secret, with each team waiting in their own offices for then-President Clarence Campbell to call with the draft rundown. Pick a player, then wait an hour for Campbell to telephone, name and spell each and every draft pick taken in the last round, and wait for your team's pick. It was tedious, and Imlach, John Anderson of the Sabres scouting staff, and Wieland grew weary of the procedure quickly. After Derek Smith was drafted in the tenth round, Wieland suggested that it would be funny if Campbell had to spell a long, difficult foreign name to each and every other team in the next round. Taro Tsujimoto was born."
http://forums.icejerseys.com/index.php?showtopic=1502

ilovetheflyers8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2009, 04:18 AM
hgo

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefifthsedin View Post
josh 'oh my gosh' bailey

garth snow traded up for him to everyones surprise
You are mixing up the definitions of the words "up" and "down". And Bailey was ranked in the 10-15 range anyway if i recall. But yeah, LOL Garth Snow amirite?

Just so you don't think I'm making this up, ISS had him 10th. http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/feature/?fid=11183 Garth really went off the board with that pick.

hgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2009, 05:34 AM
Hemi-Cuda

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by ice berg slim View Post
Imagine how much better the Oilers would be if they made the right decision at the draft Steve Kelly
pff, Edmonton has nothing on Calgary for bad draft trades with NJ. 1990 draft, Flames trade up from #20 to take the Devils 11th pick overall for the privilege to draft Trevor Kidd. who did the Devils take with our pick?

Martin Brodeur

Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2009, 08:14 AM
nowayguy
Maybe Next Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemi-Cuda View Post
pff, Edmonton has nothing on Calgary for bad draft trades with NJ. 1990 draft, Flames trade up from #20 to take the Devils 11th pick overall for the privilege to draft Trevor Kidd. who did the Devils take with our pick?

Martin Brodeur
It's not all bad, Kidd had a sick hockey card where he was making an awesome glove save

nowayguy is offline   Reply With Quote