Notices

Brent Sutter to be Next Flames Coach!!

Old
06-22-2009, 01:58 PM
Flames Draft Watcher

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Jones View Post
Until the league starts honoring legally binding contracts it looks like there won't be any compensation going to the Devils and that's really too bad. People can sign contracts and walk away when they want. That says it all...
Not true at all. Sutter is under contract to NJ. Therefore anybody who wants Sutter has to get permission from Lou Lamorello to talk to him. So the Devils could force Sutter to honor the last year of his contract by making him sit out and refusing to allow anyone to talk to him.

Mod-edit: deleted.

Last edited by Snoil11: 06-22-2009 at 03:03 PM. Reason: Offensive
Flames Draft Watcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2009, 09:59 AM
JRZ DVLS
Try Brubag*****

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Jones View Post
Until the league starts honoring legally binding contracts it looks like there won't be any compensation going to the Devils and that's really too bad. People can sign contracts and walk away when they want. That says it all...

If I were Lou I'd be wanting to make an extremely lop-sided trade with Calgary right now. I wonder who Calgary wants off the Trenton roster.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flames Draft Watcher View Post
Not true at all. Sutter is under contract to NJ. Therefore anybody who wants Sutter has to get permission from Lou Lamorello to talk to him. So the Devils could force Sutter to honor the last year of his contract by making him sit out and refusing to allow anyone to talk to him.

Mod-edit: deleted.
lou is a very quiet man and is usually a few steps ahead of others. I am sure he thought this could happen, and in his interview with the Devs Beat writer this is what transcribed:

http://njmg.typepad.com/devilsblog/2...ch-before.html
Quote:
Devils general manager Lou Lamoriello said this afternoon that he's not going to say anything at this point about whether he granted the Flames permission to speak to Brent Sutter or whether Darryl Sutter gave the Devils any compensation to entice him to do so.

"I'm going to have no comment -- and don't read anything into it either way -- until after the fact, whatever transpires," Lamoriello told me.
it could be possible that Lou Figured, If he doesn't wan to coach here, then I do not want him coaching here....

I actaully liked Sutter when the team played his Style. It was Very effective, but something happened either with the team or him after the record that it didnt keep up. It was almost like the team went back to the "we have Marty Back there, we dont need to pressure forecheck anymore!"

I wouldnt be surprised if there was some small compensation, or if there was none at all. Lou knows the the books like the back of his hand, and would play the cards the way he wants to.... Maybe Darryl had to get on his Knees and Kiss the Don's Rings! Who knows. Good Luck with Brent, but not too much!

JRZ DVLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2009, 10:05 AM
Lunatik*

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRZ DVLS View Post
it could be possible that Lou Figured, If he doesn't wan to coach here, then I do not want him coaching here....

I actaully liked Sutter when the team played his Style. It was Very effective, but something happened either with the team or him after the record that it didnt keep up. It was almost like the team went back to the "we have Marty Back there, we dont need to pressure forecheck anymore!"

I wouldnt be surprised if there was some small compensation, or if there was none at all. Lou knows the the books like the back of his hand, and would play the cards the way he wants to.... Maybe Darryl had to get on his Knees and Kiss the Don's Rings! Who knows. Good Luck with Brent, but not too much!
Thank you, this is exactly the point I was trying to make in teh thread on the NHL board... I also wouldn't be shocked if Darryl contacted Lou before he actually fired Mike Keenan... this could be why it took so long for Keenan to be fired

Lunatik* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2009, 10:14 AM
JRZ DVLS
Try Brubag*****

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunatik View Post
Thank you, this is exactly the point I was trying to make in teh thread on the NHL board... I also wouldn't be shocked if Darryl contacted Lou before he actually fired Mike Keenan... this could be why it took so long for Keenan to be fired
I saw many of the Arguments ont he Main board and was not gonna touch it!
He just pissed a lot of Devs fans off with the way he handled it. Rightfully so,it's not a coincidence... Business is Business tho, and many people do not understand that. Once Keenan was canned, you knew something could happen, As did Lou. The guy is not an idiot.

JRZ DVLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2009, 10:20 AM
StreakingRed
**Rebuild Ahead**

Press Conference is today @ 3:00pm.

StreakingRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2009, 11:03 AM
Lunatik*

Quote:
Originally Posted by StreakingRed View Post
Press Conference is today @ 3:00pm.
yay something to consume my time!... since i'll be home the rest of the week

Old
06-23-2009, 12:02 PM
BenedictGomez
1995/2000/2003

Quote:
Originally Posted by outerone View Post
So what are some details we can expect from Brent?
IMO, I wasnt very impressed with Sutter's 2 years as coach. Obviously he has excellent hockey knowledge, but I dont think he has the head to be a NHL head coach. He frequently made dumb mistakes that cost the Devils. The little things that add up. Maybe all the mistakes were due to coaching "training wheels" so to speak, but I'm not convinced. Also, (and this part is admittedly irrelevant) he gives the worst post-game interviews in the history of professional sports. But I actually looked forward to them each game because I thought they were hysterical. BS's happiest and saddest day on the planet use the exact same facial expressions, he has absolutely no emotion. lol

BenedictGomez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2009, 12:38 PM
Lunatik*

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenedictGomez View Post
IMO, I wasnt very impressed with Sutter's 2 years as coach. Obviously he has excellent hockey knowledge, but I dont think he has the head to be a NHL head coach. He frequently made dumb mistakes that cost the Devils. The little things that add up. Maybe all the mistakes were due to coaching "training wheels" so to speak, but I'm not convinced. Also, (and this part is admittedly irrelevant) he gives the worst post-game interviews in the history of professional sports. But I actually looked forward to them each game because I thought they were hysterical. BS's happiest and saddest day on the planet use the exact same facial expressions, he has absolutely no emotion. lol
welcome to the world of Sutter interviews

Old
06-23-2009, 12:46 PM
Northern Neighbour

Unlike Daryl, Brett will institute a system, which the team hasn't had for several years.

Looking forward to seeing Brett behind the bench. I wonder, however, if Daryl gets fired for another poor season if Brett would take over the GM reins.

Northern Neighbour is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2009, 01:09 PM
StreakingRed
**Rebuild Ahead**

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Neighbour View Post
Unlike Daryl, Brett will institute a system, which the team hasn't had for several years.

Looking forward to seeing Brett behind the bench. I wonder, however, if Daryl gets fired for another poor season if Brett would take over the GM reins.

I think Brett should focus on cracking the Flames roster first.

StreakingRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2009, 01:26 PM
Pacem

Quote:
Yeah like Lunatik said, welcome to Sutter interviews.

My friend who's a big Canucks fan loves to see a good Darryl Sutter interview, and finds them hilarious. He really liked this past trade deadline interview cause you could actually see Darryl smiling.

Pacem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2009, 03:39 PM
Northern Neighbour

Quote:
Originally Posted by StreakingRed View Post
I think Brett should focus on cracking the Flames roster first.
D'oh!

Northern Neighbour is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2009, 04:43 PM
saillias

vCash: 50
Quote:
You should have watched this press conference. He was actually refreshing in comparison to his brother.

saillias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2009, 07:06 PM
Lanny'sDaMan

vCash: 1075
Well I have a few thoughts

1. Hiya everyone good to be back and talking hockey

2. I am very glad to hear/read that Brent's contract was set year to year so he could discuss leaving at any point with Lou. Makes this whole thing a much cleaner feeling groove. No ethical questions.

3. Knowing how well Dion played under Brent in Red Deer makes me excessively hopeful for a Phaneuf resurgence next year.

4. My one and only real concern is the sibling connection. Like I said on another forum, if *I* hadta work with my brother one of would be hambuger splatter within the week. Here's hoping the Sutters won't have this issue.

Lanny'sDaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2009, 01:03 PM
Cappie2k2

this was from TSN on the day we named Brent Sutter head coach..

named Ryan McGill, Dave Lowry and Jamie McLennan assistant coaches.

sorry
if posted i couldnt find it anywhere on forum..

Cappie2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote