HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Pick #142 - Nicola Riopel - G - Moncton (QMJHL)

Old
06-28-2009, 07:29 AM
ToTheNet

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to ToTheNet
Quote:
Originally Posted by IAMCANADIAN View Post
Do you think it's that cut and dry? Are the not other goalies in the Flyers system that could start for the Phantoms?

I ask this because Rio doesn't have anything really left to accomplish in the QMJHL (aside from the Memorial Cup) but here in Moncton his availability remains a BIG question mark heading into next season.

Thanks
Flyers only have 3 goalies signed for their entire system. Emery, Backlund and Munroe . . . and I don't even know if Munroe is actually signed or not. Maybe their ECHL goalies are signed, but other than that, the depth chart is pretty slim.

ToTheNet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2009, 07:42 AM
Rick Deckard

Quote:
Do you think it's that cut and dry? Are the not other goalies in the Flyers system that could start for the Phantoms?

I ask this because Rio doesn't have anything really left to accomplish in the QMJHL (aside from the Memorial Cup) but here in Moncton his availability remains a BIG question mark heading into next season.

Thanks
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToTheNet View Post
Flyers only have 3 goalies signed for their entire system. Emery, Backlund and Munroe . . . and I don't even know if Munroe is actually signed or not. Maybe their ECHL goalies are signed, but other than that, the depth chart is pretty slim.
If he doesn't disappoint during the prospect camp I think he will be signed. We currently have Emery on the NHL level and Backlund, who comes over from Europe, should become the AHL starter. We also have Teslak and Duchesne, who played ECHL last season.

I think Teslak and Riopel are the two options for the Backup job at Adirondack. Munroe isn't signed yet and said that he will look for an one-way contract.

Rick Deckard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2009, 12:56 PM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

vCash: 1347
This article is pre-draft...

http://timestranscript.canadaeast.co...article/709754

Quote:
The Quebec Major Junior Hockey League club is waiting to find out whether it will have star goaltender Nicola Riopel in the lineup next season. The reality is it may not be determined until September whether he turns professional or returns to the Wildcats as a 20-year-old.

Riopel is in an interesting position entering the 2009 National Hockey League draft, which takes place tomorrow and Saturday at the Bell Centre in Montreal. After being passed over in the last two NHL drafts, there's reason to believe his time has finally arrived.

"I've spoken with six teams so far,'' he said. "I know that (Moncton head coach) Danny Flynn and my agent have both spoken to some teams that haven't yet contacted me. Danny said there's about 15 to 20 teams that have spoken to him about me.

"Philadelphia called my agent twice last week to talk about me. Pittsburgh called him also. I spoke to Colorado a few times during the season. I had an interview this week with New Jersey. But you never know for sure what's going to happen at the draft.''

Riopel was named the QMJHL's Most Valuable Player this past season after establishing a league record with a 2.01 goals-against average. He also led the league with a sparkling .931 save percentage, five shutouts and 43-15 record.

MiamiScreamingEagles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2009, 01:21 PM
HoverCarle*

Send a message via MSN to HoverCarle*
Is being an overager as much as a negative for a goalie? its not like they are out muscling people

HoverCarle* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2009, 01:26 PM
LaLaLaprise
lalalaprise -twitter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hovercraft View Post
Is being an overager as much as a negative for a goalie? its not like they are out muscling people
Well for one Riopel wasnt an overager. He was a 19 year old. He still has 1 year of junior eligibility left.

And to answer your question...well considering the average age of a CHL team is around 18.5 years old...being 20 is an advantage. However, that doesnt mean every 20 year old in the league is a top end player.

And it isnt only about physical strength. Riopel at 16, 17 and 18 was very fragile mentally. As a 19 year old he seemed to mature and put it all together. Being older than someone gives you a mental edge sometimes. More experience, more maturity. It isnt always about physical strength.

LaLaLaprise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2009, 02:02 PM
HoverCarle*

Yeah I mostly mean for a goalie aren't good stats good no matter what his age is?

Old
06-28-2009, 02:26 PM
LaLaLaprise
lalalaprise -twitter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hovercraft View Post
Yeah I mostly mean for a goalie aren't good stats good no matter what his age is?
Yeah, but like all stats you have to put them in context. Im not a big stats guy. What works in junior may not work in the pro's.

LaLaLaprise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2009, 02:31 PM
ArmchairGM

Where does Teslak fit in?

ArmchairGM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2009, 02:47 PM
kicksave27

He's studied under Francois Allaire, it like it

kicksave27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2009, 04:45 PM
Jim Schennson
Bros.

As far as draft year and age goes, Belfour wasn't drafted, and signed with Chicago at 22. And, as far as size goes, Beezer is 2 inches shorter than Riopel. I'm not saying he's going to turn out nearly as good as either one, I'm just saying it happens.

Jim Schennson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2009, 06:00 PM
flyerfan1248

Quote:

Thanks
Yeah, sorry... I guess there is Backlund and Eriksson, but neither of them have North American ice hockey experience. That's why i'm saying Rio will (maybe) come up because he has experience in N.America. International hockey and N.American hockey are actually quite different.

flyerfan1248 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2009, 12:09 AM
Rick Deckard

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyerfan1248 View Post
Yeah, sorry... I guess there is Backlund and Eriksson, but neither of them have North American ice hockey experience. That's why i'm saying Rio will (maybe) come up because he has experience in N.America. International hockey and N.American hockey are actually quite different.
Eriksson isn't signed and he won't be in North America next season, he signed with a different SEL team this spring and will play with them.

Rick Deckard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2009, 01:30 AM
SaveByHexy

He can play in the AHL next year, right?

SaveByHexy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2009, 06:42 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 5602
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmchairGM View Post
Maybe he doesn't.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2009, 06:44 AM
Mihairokov

Riopel didn't seem like that strong of a goalie to me. His lateral movement was sloppy at times and he has to come out of his crease and challenge a bit more.

If he ever gets any NHL playing time I will be VERY surprised.

Mihairokov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2009, 08:27 AM
PhilaFlyers

vCash: 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmchairGM View Post
ECHL?

PhilaFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2009, 10:09 AM
CBD324

It's funny how you guys talk without even knowing.
You know this guy is right there in Philly at the moment, impressing everybody, working his ass off to make it far... as usual! He is the hardest worker you wiil ever see in your entire life!
You should have a look at him before he comes back home.. you'd be impressed!

CBD324 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2009, 11:19 AM
Juicy Couturier*
CannonGoBoom

Send a message via AIM to Juicy Couturier*
Mrs. Riopel? Nice to meet you.

Juicy Couturier* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2009, 11:25 AM
HoverCarle*

I think he could be a good player. Hopefully his transition to Pro is smooth

Old
07-11-2009, 10:03 PM
CBD324

Aha 0opsy!... Maybeeee!

CBD324 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2009, 02:17 AM
DinkusMaximus

So far Riopel and Eriksson have been the best goalies at Prospect Camp thus far. The kid was awesome everytime I've seen him play. He may be small but he plays big ala Giguere. uses his upper body to take up a lot up top.

If guys like Osgood, Legace, and Vernon can make it so can anybody. Not saying this kid is going to be an All-Star, but with the way he's been playing he's got a good shot and progressing further on with his career.

DinkusMaximus is offline   Reply With Quote