HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

First Round Pick Zack Kassian RW

Old
06-28-2009, 08:46 AM
WhoIsJimBob
Circle the Bandwagon

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moskau View Post
Maybe I worded my posts wrong but I don't feel they were that hard to understand.

Kassian is obviously much more talented than Kaleta. What I meant is that their point totals translating to the NHL may not be that far off because Kaleta is extremely fast and that can translate to an NHL game no matter how untalented you are.

You also assume Kassian is going to put up more points next year.
My point is that Kassian has hands and an offensive mindset that Kaleta doesn't possess.

Max could skate like the wind, but that didn't always translate to offensive production.

I believe that Kassian's hands and offensive game will have a much better chance at translating to legit top 6 offensive forward than Kaleta because I believe Kaleta doesn't have the hands.

It's easier to score with slow wheels and good hands than the other way around.

WhoIsJimBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2009, 09:23 AM
MacOfNiagara
Blue&Gold from birth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moskau View Post
Maybe I worded my posts wrong but I don't feel they were that hard to understand.

Kassian is obviously much more talented than Kaleta. What I meant is that their point totals translating to the NHL may not be that far off because Kaleta is extremely fast and that can translate to an NHL game no matter how untalented you are.

You also assume Kassian is going to put up more points next year.
He may not pan out but if he does Kassian and Kaleta could end up being a major pain in the ass to play against. Sprikle in some physical play from Gaustad, Rivet, Myers and a few others and the Sabres may again become one of those teams others hate to play against. It would be a welcome change.

MacOfNiagara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2009, 09:36 AM
MacOfNiagara
Blue&Gold from birth

Love the ISS Scout comments:

"Kassian is big, mean, talented, smart, and unselfish player who works hard"

Yes,
yes please,
yes,
yes,
yes,
yes.

If he pans out on even some of those adjectives then he will be a useful addition to the Sabres

MacOfNiagara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2009, 08:46 PM
sabrefan2930

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyClarkeFan16 View Post
When Kassian is a 35 goal, 70 point, 200+ PIM guy who protects your smaller players like Gerbe, Roy, etc....nobody will be complaining then.
I'm excited

sabrefan2930 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2009, 08:53 PM
Clock

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabrefan2930 View Post
I'm excited
Seriously. I bet Miller is, too.

Clock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2009, 08:58 PM
BUCKSHOT
w00t !!

Send a message via Yahoo to BUCKSHOT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clock View Post
Seriously. I bet Miller is, too.
well if he isn't ....

BUCKSHOT is !!

BUCKSHOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2009, 09:09 PM
BackGroundMusic
rebuildingeverywhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffaloed View Post
ISS considers him the most physically ready player in this draft. He has an excellent shot at playing for the Sabres next season. The scouts have nothing but good things to say about him. See http://www.andrewsstarspage.com/inde...ssian_profile/
I wonder if this is part of the reasoning behind Regier not being in a rush to sign Stafford. If the scouts and trainers think he has a great shot of making the club, then if you can get a 1st and 3rd for Stafford....

Master plan, anyone?

BackGroundMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2009, 10:12 PM
jpb

Quote:
Originally Posted by BikeGiftingMan View Post
I wonder if this is part of the reasoning behind Regier not being in a rush to sign Stafford. If the scouts and trainers think he has a great shot of making the club, then if you can get a 1st and 3rd for Stafford.... Master plan, anyone?
Nice if it happens, but banking on a rookie to replace a pro entering his 4th year as a top six forward qualifies as playing with fire. Kassian may well be able to step in, but I'd rather take my chances with Stafford.

jpb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2009, 10:35 PM
Buffaloed
Administrator
Webmaster

vCash: 1664
Quote:
I wonder if this is part of the reasoning behind Regier not being in a rush to sign Stafford. If the scouts and trainers think he has a great shot of making the club, then if you can get a 1st and 3rd for Stafford....

Master plan, anyone?
I think Stafford is still part of the master plan and his contract negotiations are unrelated to Kassian.

Buffaloed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2009, 10:37 PM
BackGroundMusic
rebuildingeverywhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpb View Post
Nice if it happens, but banking on a rookie to replace a pro entering his 4th year as a top six forward qualifies as playing with fire. Kassian may well be able to step in, but I'd rather take my chances with Stafford.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffaloed View Post
I think Stafford is still part of the master plan and his contract negotiations are unrelated to Kassian.
I agree, but you never know with Larry Legend calling the shots from behind the scenes.

If the team is in secret rebuild mode and they can get a 1st and 3rd for Stafford, I'd hope they'd do it.

Old
06-28-2009, 11:01 PM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
I don't see Stafford and Kassian related at all. Though I do think Kassian could be in the mix for third or fourth line duty with an excellent Rookie and Training camp.

06-28-2009, 11:29 PM
aceface33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainshot View Post
I don't see Stafford and Kassian related at all. Though I do think Kassian could be in the mix for third or fourth line duty with an excellent Rookie and Training camp.
Chain, what do you think would be better for Kassian's development at this point? Getting 10-12 minutes in a 3rd or 4th line role on the Sabres, or getting big minutes on a top line in juniors?

aceface33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2009, 12:05 AM
struckbyaparkedcar
Zemgus Da Gawd

Quote:
Originally Posted by aceface33 View Post
Chain, what do you think would be better for Kassian's development at this point? Getting 10-12 minutes in a 3rd or 4th line role on the Sabres, or getting big minutes on a top line in juniors?
I'm not Chain, but I think the NHL might keep him hungry and have him further develop his physical game and effort, but hurting his scoring touch a little. Juniors won't really do that much for his physicality but will probably help his offensive game.

/my guess.

struckbyaparkedcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2009, 12:18 AM
BackGroundMusic
rebuildingeverywhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by aceface33 View Post
Well, Kassian's a pretty big dude already, but I wonder how much muscle mass the NHL staff could coax onto him. I think rookie camp + training camp in September go a long, long way to determining just how much of a difference jumping immediately to the NHL would make. If he comes in to both camps and he's knocking people around like it's his job, then it's his job. He might never hit 70 points -- hell, he might never hit 50 -- but if he comes into camp and is classy off the ice and a pain in the ass on it, I think the 10 to 12 minutes in the NHL end up being more like 15 or 16 by December.

Of course, all this depends on free agency, if Stafford gets an Offer Sheet, if any trades are moved [Paille, Hecht, etc.]. If nobody moves and Stafford re-signs, I'd be surprised if they keep Kassian up for a simple 4th line role.

Old
06-29-2009, 04:04 AM
ColonelForbin

Quote:
Well, Kassian's a pretty big dude already, but I wonder how much muscle mass the NHL staff could coax onto him. I think rookie camp + training camp in September go a long, long way to determining just how much of a difference jumping immediately to the NHL would make. If he comes in to both camps and he's knocking people around like it's his job, then it's his job. He might never hit 70 points -- hell, he might never hit 50 -- but if he comes into camp and is classy off the ice and a pain in the ass on it, I think the 10 to 12 minutes in the NHL end up being more like 15 or 16 by December.

Of course, all this depends on free agency, if Stafford gets an Offer Sheet, if any trades are moved [Paille, Hecht, etc.]. If nobody moves and Stafford re-signs, I'd be surprised if they keep Kassian up for a simple 4th line role.
Wouldn't there still be room for Kassian if Stafford/Paille/Hecht all stay? Poms, Stafford, Kassian, and Kaleta as the four right wingers?

ColonelForbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2009, 09:23 AM
Zip15

vCash: 396
The Sabres don't have a 3rd line RW right now. Hmmmm.

That said, I'd still like them to bring in a bona fide 3rd line RW like Joel Ward. Creating competition and depth is never a bad thing.

Zip15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2009, 09:31 AM
joshjull

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zip15 View Post
The Sabres don't have a 3rd line RW right now. Hmmmm.

That said, I'd still like them to bring in a bona fide 3rd line RW like Joel Ward. Creating competition and depth is never a bad thing.

Kaleta played on Goose's wing quite a bit down the stretch

joshjull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2009, 09:58 AM
Luceni

Next year:

Vanek - Connolly - Stafford
Hecht - Roy - Pomineville
Paille - Gaustad - Kassian
xxx - Mair - Kaleta

Luceni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2009, 10:28 AM
Zip15

vCash: 396
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luceni View Post
Next year:

Vanek - Connolly - Stafford
Hecht - Roy - Pomineville
Paille - Gaustad - Kassian
xxx - Mair - Kaleta
I'd so move MacArthur into Hecht's spot and slide the other two left wings down one line.

Josh, I'm with you, I think Kaleta has some untapped offensive potential and with the right center can score 10+ goals this year. That said, I'm not ready to hand him that spot quite yet.

Zip15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2009, 10:53 AM
jBuds
pretty damn valuable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zip15 View Post
I'd so move MacArthur into Hecht's spot and slide the other two left wings down one line.

Josh, I'm with you, I think Kaleta has some untapped offensive potential and with the right center can score 10+ goals this year. That said, I'm not ready to hand him that spot quite yet.
I'm ready to hand Kaleta whatever "spot" gets his ass on the ice more. The man makes a remarkable impact when he plays, he needs more ice time without question.
Posted via Mobile Device

jBuds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2009, 12:08 PM
Jame
Dream '16

Quote:
Originally Posted by jBuds View Post
I'm ready to hand Kaleta whatever "spot" gets his ass on the ice more. The man makes a remarkable impact when he plays, he needs more ice time without question.
Posted via Mobile Device
Agreed. I think Kaleta belongs on the 3rd line. much more so than Paille.

Jame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2009, 12:10 PM
elicw10

The petes produce excellent two way hockey players, kassian will havwe much better d then you might think

elicw10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2009, 12:23 PM
joshjull

Comments from Regier on WGR this morning in terms of a comparison between Bertuzzi and Kassian.

For starters he stated his standard reply that he hates player comparisons (Chain is that you?). But then added he was there (on the Island) when Bert was drafted.

He feels Kassian is tougher than Bert but Bert had better hands.

joshjull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2009, 12:50 PM
BackGroundMusic
rebuildingeverywhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColonelForbin View Post
Wouldn't there still be room for Kassian if Stafford/Paille/Hecht all stay? Poms, Stafford, Kassian, and Kaleta as the four right wingers?
I expect Kennedy and/or Gerbe to be on the squad, if for no reason other than they make less money than some other guys. With the amount of RFAs to sign and the self-imposed Cap, I expect somebody to be moved for a pick or prospect. Paille for a 3rd or something.

Old
06-29-2009, 01:11 PM
flyingpig
Pay the Troll Toll

Quote:
I expect Kennedy and/or Gerbe to be on the squad, if for no reason other than they make less money than some other guys. With the amount of RFAs to sign and the self-imposed Cap, I expect somebody to be moved for a pick or prospect. Paille for a 3rd or something.
To me, Darcy really made it sound as if there were a few players he would try to move for the need of fresh scenary. The three that come to mind for me are Hecht, Hank and Paille.

He said that there is a need to trust your picks to develop and they will start playing in the bigs earlier.

He said the Stafford demand too high to discuss contracts now, its time to stop being afraid of offer sheets and attempt to control price of contracts, the way to do so was negotiate after free agency opens. He reiterated the desire to protect assets of the club.

He said the only way they make a big splash is with movement of roster players.

Darcy not involved with Heatley,but discussed with Murray and Heatley handcuffed his trade value.

flyingpig is offline   Reply With Quote