HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Line Predictions (2009/10 Season)

Closed Thread

Old
06-28-2009, 11:05 AM
UseYourAllusion

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyHigh View Post
Eh, what league are you watching?

Seriously though, Richards (almost a Selke trophy winner) was -1 over the past 26 games of the season after his +5 game against Buffalo on Feb. 19.

Gagne was a -2 over the same period.

Knuble was a +1.

Keep in mind that Gagne and Richards were around +22 over the first 50 games of the year or so, I forget when that line formed exactly, so obviously, there was a big downgrade in their ES level of play and I personally have never been a huge fan of that line, I don't like Knuble playing 1st line ES minutes.

I'd personally throw Gagne-Richards-Giroux together as a high-speed offensive line that can also shut you down and then Hartnell-Carter-Briere together as more of a straight scoring line and see how Briere does defensively as a wing.

Then resign Knuble, try like crazy to sign Malhotra (sacrificing Jones and Carle if you have to) and build a grind line around Knuble and Malhotra.

Gagne-Richards-Giroux
Harts-Carts-Lupes
XXXX-Malhotra-Knuble
Carcillo-XXX-XXX

Maybe put Powe at the 3rd line LW?
To Fill in...

Gagne-Richards-Giroux
Hartnell-Carter-Briere
Powe-Malhotra-Knuble
Carcillo-XXXX-Asham

I like it.

Who is the last center?

Kalinski might make that a pretty good energy line.

Old
06-28-2009, 11:07 AM
FlyHigh

Send a message via AIM to FlyHigh Send a message via MSN to FlyHigh
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hovercraft View Post
+/- does not equal defence. on a site I saw earlier that does more advanced defensive calculations Gagne, Richards and Knuble were all in the top 30

and we traded lupul
Obviously not, but it's a useful indicator and I've never really liked that line, I don't think they mesh very well together.

I wouldn't mind seeing the advanced calculations, I could easily believe them for Gagne and Richie, but I'm not sold on Knuble.

I think Knuble has gotten to the point where he really needs help from his linemates if he's going to play 1st line minutes. I don't think he's suited at all to the high-octane game that most of our top-6 tries to play. However, if we designed a 3rd line "grind line", I think he could thrive in that role.

Old
06-28-2009, 11:09 AM
FlyHigh

Quote:
Originally Posted by UseYourAllusion View Post
To Fill in...

Gagne-Richards-Giroux
Hartnell-Carter-Briere
Powe-Malhotra-Knuble
Carcillo-XXXX-Asham

I like it.

Who is the last center?

Kalinski might make that a pretty good energy line.
Yeah I forgot about Asham. I could go for Kalinski, I don't think Matsumoto is ready yet. Maybe Asham and Powe could even alternate from time to time on that 3rd line, I think we all really liked how Asham was playing at the end of the year.

Maybe we can even bring back Metro, isn't he working out with the team right now?

Old
06-28-2009, 11:11 AM
UseYourAllusion

Quote:
Yeah I forgot about Asham. I could go for Kalinski, I don't think Matsumoto is ready yet. Maybe Asham and Powe could even alternate from time to time on that 3rd line, I think we all really liked how Asham was playing at the end of the year.

Maybe we can even bring back Metro, isn't he working out with the team right now?
I'm not sure quite how Kalinski would work at center. But watching those three annoy the bejeezus out of other teams would be fun.

Old
06-28-2009, 11:12 AM
HoverCarle*

Send a message via MSN to HoverCarle*
Quote:
Obviously not, but it's a useful indicator and I've never really liked that line, I don't think they mesh very well together.

I wouldn't mind seeing the advanced calculations, I could easily believe them for Gagne and Richie, but I'm not sold on Knuble.

I think Knuble has gotten to the point where he really needs help from his linemates if he's going to play 1st line minutes. I don't think he's suited at all to the high-octane game that most of our top-6 tries to play. However, if we designed a 3rd line "grind line", I think he could thrive in that role.
yeah I remember posting a thread about it sometime during the season, Ill try and dig it up

Old
06-28-2009, 11:15 AM
FlyHigh

Quote:
Originally Posted by KimiFerrari View Post
I am assuming you meant Briere instead of Lupes on that 2nd line
Yep, just so used to typing Harts-Carts-Lupes, that line was one of my brain-children during training camp and most of the other ones were wrong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by UseYourAllusion
I'm not sure quite how Kalinski would work at center. But watching those three annoy the bejeezus out of other teams would be fun.
Yeah it would be, I mean, if we sign Knuble and a legit 3rd line C, we could really cobble together a halfway decent bottom-6.

I don't think any of us are thrilled with Carcillo, but guys like him have some limited value and I didn't think he was too bad in the playoffs (passing over the fight).

Old
06-28-2009, 02:20 PM
ph

It would take some ridiculously good negotiating but I think if we are able to sign Knuble, Recchi and Alberts and dump Jones for a bag of chips we would have a top 9 as good as last season and a much better defense. Goalie is up in the air. We would have no wiggle room again though.

Gagne-Richards-Knuble
Hartnell-Carter-Recchi
JVR-Giroux-Briere
Carcillo-Powe-Asham

Timonen-Pronger
Carle-Coburn
Parent-Alberts

Emery
Backlund?

Old
06-28-2009, 02:28 PM
RJ8812*
Hellooooo ladiiiies

I'd rather trade Carle then Jones. Jones only has 1 year left on his contract, a lower cap hit and will be gone next summer. Plus there isnt really any PP room for Carle with Pronger, Timonen & Coburn (Richards plays point) here. Jones is also better defensively

Carle also has more trade value

Old
06-28-2009, 02:31 PM
IrishSniper87

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ8812 View Post
I'd rather trade Carle then Jones. Jones only has 1 year left on his contract, a lower cap hit and will be gone next summer. Plus there isnt really any PP room for Carle with Pronger, Timonen & Coburn (Richards plays point) here. Jones is also better defensively

Carle also has more trade value
With Lupul out and Pronger in, Richie doesnt need to play the point. Pronger's slapshot is much better then Richie's.

Coburn-Timonen and Carle-Pronger on the point is fine with me.

Old
06-28-2009, 02:36 PM
HoverCarle*

Send a message via MSN to HoverCarle*
Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishSniper87 View Post
With Lupul out and Pronger in, Richie doesnt need to play the point. Pronger's slapshot is much better then Richie's.

Depends if Carle is dealt. If he is, Richie will play a point

Old
06-28-2009, 02:40 PM
IrishSniper87

Quote:
Depends if Carle is dealt. If he is, Richie will play a point
I dont think we see Carle moved, but we can hope.

Old
06-28-2009, 02:45 PM
flyguy
Sean Cubeturier

Send a message via AIM to flyguy
Quote:

I think Pronger will be on the first unit. The big question is if Knuble resigns or not. If he doesn't, it will be interesting to see how the PP's are a set up. I feel that Briere, Gagne, Timonen, and Pronger are locks for the first PP unit. If there's no Knuble, maybe Hartnell gets moved up to play in front of the net, because I don't know if Richards would be effective there. Then the second unit becomes a playmaking unit, with Richards and Giroux being able to set things up for Carter. And then of course you have Coburn and Carle on the blue line. I could be wrong, but there are A LOT of things the team could do in regards to the PP, especially if Knuble gets resigned. Regardless, our PP should be pretty scary.

Old
06-28-2009, 02:53 PM
bodangleroo28

Our PP can come at teams in so many different ways, its going to be great to see

Old
06-28-2009, 04:27 PM
Flyerfan808

Quote:
Originally Posted by ph View Post
It would take some ridiculously good negotiating but I think if we are able to sign Knuble, Recchi and Alberts and dump Jones for a bag of chips we would have a top 9 as good as last season and a much better defense. Goalie is up in the air. We would have no wiggle room again though.

Gagne-Richards-Knuble
Hartnell-Carter-Recchi
JVR-Giroux-Briere
Carcillo-Powe-Asham

Timonen-Pronger
Carle-Coburn
Parent-Alberts

Emery
Backlund?
Of all the line combos that I have seen in this thread I liked yours the most. However, I disagree that we will land both Knuble and Recchi; I would argue that one or the other is more realistic. I love the JVR-Giroux-Briere line, but I also wouldn't mind JVR playing with Carter and Hartnell if the chemistry was correct. It also seems like alot of posts neglect Nodl. He filled in nicely last season, but has yet to find his scoring touch at the professional level. I predict that he will make the team out of camp given our tight cap situation and step into a more permanent role on the team possibly on the second or third line depending on chemistry. I admit I am sticking my neck out for him, but I believe that he can become more than just a third or fourth line energy player in this league.

Gagne-Richards-Knuble/Recchi
Hartnell-Carter-Nodl/JVR
Nodl/JVR-Briere-Giroux
Carcillo-Powe-Asham
*Kalinski*

On the defensive side of things I think we would get better matchups against the opposition if we separated Pronger and Timonen. I also agree w/ a previous post that pairing Coburn with Pronger would do wonders for his development.

Pronger-Coburn
Timonen-Parent
Carle-Alberts

On the goalie side of the equation, I agree with you and it looks like we are just going to have to cross our fingers on both Emery and Backlund. Not exactly comfortable with riding into this season with a HUGE question mark at that position. However, we are so close to the cap we don't have much of a choice. I wonder if its true the Canucks are close to resigning Luongo long term? If so then perhaps they are willing to part with Cory Schneider. I would be willing to offer Jones/Carle (hopefully Jones) for Schneider straight up. Its true that Schneider is also not a proven NHL goalie, but he boasts an impressive resume and has excelled at every level he has played in. I think it is only a matter of time before he breaks out of the AHL into a franchise goalie and I would love for it to be with us instead of someone else.

Old
06-28-2009, 06:26 PM
ph

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyerfan808 View Post
Of all the line combos that I have seen in this thread I liked yours the most. However, I disagree that we will land both Knuble and Recchi; I would argue that one or the other is more realistic. I love the JVR-Giroux-Briere line, but I also wouldn't mind JVR playing with Carter and Hartnell if the chemistry was correct. It also seems like alot of posts neglect Nodl. He filled in nicely last season, but has yet to find his scoring touch at the professional level. I predict that he will make the team out of camp given our tight cap situation and step into a more permanent role on the team possibly on the second or third line depending on chemistry. I admit I am sticking my neck out for him, but I believe that he can become more than just a third or fourth line energy player in this league.

Gagne-Richards-Knuble/Recchi
Hartnell-Carter-Nodl/JVR
Nodl/JVR-Briere-Giroux
Carcillo-Powe-Asham
*Kalinski*

On the defensive side of things I think we would get better matchups against the opposition if we separated Pronger and Timonen. I also agree w/ a previous post that pairing Coburn with Pronger would do wonders for his development.

Pronger-Coburn
Timonen-Parent
Carle-Alberts

On the goalie side of the equation, I agree with you and it looks like we are just going to have to cross our fingers on both Emery and Backlund. Not exactly comfortable with riding into this season with a HUGE question mark at that position. However, we are so close to the cap we don't have much of a choice. I wonder if its true the Canucks are close to resigning Luongo long term? If so then perhaps they are willing to part with Cory Schneider. I would be willing to offer Jones/Carle (hopefully Jones) for Schneider straight up. Its true that Schneider is also not a proven NHL goalie, but he boasts an impressive resume and has excelled at every level he has played in. I think it is only a matter of time before he breaks out of the AHL into a franchise goalie and I would love for it to be with us instead of someone else.
I agree signing Knuble and Recchi would be highly improbable but it's not impossible. It's not about the money for Recchi anymore, but for Knuble he has never really been paid to his production level so I think he may want the pay increase he deserves. I like the size of a Hartnell-Carter-JVR line but I think Carter would hurt JVR's development. Carter is a huge puck hog and JVR seems to be a puck possession player as well.

I thought Carle-Coburn was our best pairing in the playoffs and they finally looked comfortable playing together. Pronger-Timonen would shut down anyone. With the penguins having Crosby, Malkin, Staal down the middle I can see why everyone wants Timonen and Pronger separated though.

Old
06-28-2009, 06:36 PM
IrishSniper87

The way I see it, there is no question Pronger and Timonen are seperated.

And since Kimmo is small and vulnerable, he NEEDS Coburn with him. Those 2 pair well together and are an excellent pair.

Now it comes down to Parent or Carle with Pronger. Either way, I like both and dont care.

Having Parent on the 3rd pairing doesnt bother me at all. This defense is awesome.

Old
06-28-2009, 07:54 PM
ilovetheflyers8

Quote:
Originally Posted by ph View Post
I agree signing Knuble and Recchi would be highly improbable but it's not impossible. It's not about the money for Recchi anymore, but for Knuble he has never really been paid to his production level so I think he may want the pay increase he deserves. I like the size of a Hartnell-Carter-JVR line but I think Carter would hurt JVR's development. Carter is a huge puck hog and JVR seems to be a puck possession player as well.

I thought Carle-Coburn was our best pairing in the playoffs and they finally looked comfortable playing together. Pronger-Timonen would shut down anyone. With the penguins having Crosby, Malkin, Staal down the middle I can see why everyone wants Timonen and Pronger separated though.
I think Recchi wants to re-sign w/ Boston if possible.

Old
06-28-2009, 07:57 PM
mikedifr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dig Out Your Soul View Post
It's amazing how quickly scoring depth, our biggest strength, has become a bit of a weakness. Our third line needs a ton of work.
Agreed, which is why I dont want to give up Briere.

Quote:
Our scoring depth was overrated in many ways. Our team was pathetic at ES. How does scoring depth help us when we look bad on ES??? Our PP as it is now looks like this.

Gagne-Richards-Briere
Pronger-Carle

Hartnell-Carter-Giroux
Timonen-Coburn

Thats AWESOME.

We will still get points during the PP. Hopefully we also grab a defensive C who can win faceoffs and play PK.

I think the re-arrangement of the defense and the puckmovers we have on the back-end will only help the forwards. Having Briere and Giroux around all season is a good thing, and JVR is available if we need him. I am very happy with this team. My concerns now rest on Ray Emery and injuries. We should expect to see much better puck movement on the back end.
Cant disagree...which is why I dont think Pronger is the be all end all....I still think we need to change the way we play at even strength. Pronger may help prevent goals, but he isnt going to make a HUGE difference in scoring goals of we keep playing pond hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by nevermore View Post
Giroux is a winger and Carter needs to stay at center. No way I want Giroux going up against Malkin.
Agreed. I am not sure I want Carter going up against him either though...I think we need a shut down type as the 3rd line center.

Quote:
Stevens said yesterday that he likes Giroux at centre with Briere on the wing. I think we should start getting used to the idea of the captain and PPG scorer playing the third line shutdown role with crappy wingers.
If Richards was better at faceoffs, and had decent wingers to play with I wouldnt mind it....If he is playing with Powe and Asham no frigin way!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by itstheroc87 View Post
i know they are old, but would there be any interest in m. sillinger, b. shanahan(assuming knuble leaves) and/or c. chelios as a 7th dman? only if the accept the league minimum or somewhere close

gagne richards giroux
hartnell carter briere
shanahan sillinger nodl(jvr, if he pulls a giroux and proves hes ready?)
carcillo powe asham

pronger coburn
timonen parent
carle fa/jones
chelios

emery
backlund/fa
Rather keep Knuble than Shanahan at this point to be honest...Sillinger if cheap and a 4th liner and Chelios...sure, why not??

Quote:
Or we will roll 3 good "pairings" on forward.

Gagne-Richards
Hartnell-Carter
Briere-Giroux

and fill the third slot with poop. Nodl/Carcillo/Asham/Powe
I wouldnt be opposed to this if it is what we need to do, but we arent going to be shutting anyone down!!

Quote:
I still want Knuble to be re-signed. Gagne-Richards-Knuble were one of the best defensive lines in the league - and with those other pairings, they shouldn't have to carry the entire offense.
Me too Dig...I love Knuble. I say waive Jones and use that cap room for Knuble. Should be similar numbers.

Quote:
The way I see it, there is no question Pronger and Timonen are seperated.

And since Kimmo is small and vulnerable, he NEEDS Coburn with him. Those 2 pair well together and are an excellent pair.

Now it comes down to Parent or Carle with Pronger. Either way, I like both and dont care.

Having Parent on the 3rd pairing doesnt bother me at all. This defense is awesome.
I rather Parent play top 4, and I want him paired with Pronger to be honest. What a nasty shut down pairing that would be!!

However, if Carle is still on this team AND we are able to get some actual NHL 3rd liners than I would mind Parent on the third pairing.

Old
06-28-2009, 09:25 PM
Brett3297

My first post..

Huge Philly Fan ever since the days of Roenick. Travelled to Philly with my brother to watch them and have also travelled to Anaheim and LA on a hockey trip with my brother to see 3 games in 3 days. (He's an Anaheim fan) Seen them win all three times. Smile

Now, here's my wishes and offseason predictions to what this team could look like come the start of the season.

Flyers sign forwards...
- Samuel Pahlsson for 3 years 7million
- Travis Moen for 2 years 2.5million
- Cutris Sanford for 1 year 75000

Line combinations...

Gange (5.250) - Richards (5.400) - Briere (6.500)
Hartnell (4.200) - Carter (5.000) - Giroux (.821667)
Moen (1.250) - Palhsson (2.500) - Asham (.640000)
Cote (.550000) - Powe (.520000) - JvR (.850000)

Total... 33,431,667million

Timonen (6.333333) - Pronger (6.250)
Carle (3.437500) - Coburn (1.300)
Jones (2.750) - Parent (.855000)

Total... 20,925,833

Ray Emery (1.500)
Curtis Sanford (750000)

Total... 2,250,000

NHL 2009-2010 Salary Cap... $56.8 million

Flyers 2009-2010 Salary... $56, 607, 500

$192500 under the cap.

Let me know what you guys thinks!

Old
06-28-2009, 09:54 PM
lancer247

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brett3297 View Post
My first post..

Huge Philly Fan ever since the days of Roenick. Travelled to Philly with my brother to watch them and have also travelled to Anaheim and LA on a hockey trip with my brother to see 3 games in 3 days. (He's an Anaheim fan) Seen them win all three times. Smile

Now, here's my wishes and offseason predictions to what this team could look like come the start of the season.

Flyers sign forwards...
- Samuel Pahlsson for 3 years 7million
- Travis Moen for 2 years 2.5million
- Cutris Sanford for 1 year 75000

Line combinations...

Gange (5.250) - Richards (5.400) - Briere (6.500)
Hartnell (4.200) - Carter (5.000) - Giroux (.821667)
Moen (1.250) - Palhsson (2.500) - Asham (.640000)

Total... 33,431,667million

Timonen (6.333333) - Pronger (6.250)
Carle (3.437500) - Coburn (1.300)
Jones (2.750) - Parent (.855000)

Total... 20,925,833

Ray Emery (1.500)
Curtis Sanford (750000)

Total... 2,250,000

NHL 2009-2010 Salary Cap... $56.8 million

Flyers 2009-2010 Salary... $56, 607, 500

$192500 under the cap.

you missed carcillo which many on this board wish would come true.

not bad but i doubt the flyers would bring JVR up to play him on the 4th line.

i would like to see moen picked up for a third line role. i know a lot of people would like to see knuble resigned but if he isn't playing top six, which i don't think he should then i am not sure he brings the energy every night to be a grinder.

Old
06-28-2009, 10:23 PM
lancer247

Upshall & Gauthier

any chance either could be brought back? would you want to see either of them brought back?

if they could get him back at $2MM i wouldn't mind seeing a third line of
carcillo - ufa - upshall
that would be an energy line that would be a ***** to play against.

gagne - richards - giroux
hartnell - carter - briere
carcillo - ufa - upshall
cote - powe - asham

gauthier at his previous contract was brutal but if he was signed at $1-$1.5MM he would be a tough 5-6 dman that blocks a ton of shots and still hits like a truck.

gauthier - parent on the bottom would be pretty solid. parent's steady play and speed would allow for gauthier to go head hunting a couple times a game.

coburn - kimo
pronger - carle
gauthier - parent
waive jone - syvret #7

Old
06-28-2009, 10:30 PM
flyguy
Sean Cubeturier

Send a message via AIM to flyguy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebel Banker View Post
any chance either could be brought back? would you want to see either of them brought back?
I'm sure most people would want Upshall back. He was always a fan favorite and he has the ability to be a sparkplug. Gauthier, on the other hand, I don't want any part of. When a team like the Kings thinks he's terrible, it's a pretty big sign. Gauthier is a player that will shoot the team in the foot time and time again.

Old
06-29-2009, 04:58 PM
lancer247

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyguy View Post
I'm sure most people would want Upshall back. He was always a fan favorite and he has the ability to be a sparkplug. Gauthier, on the other hand, I don't want any part of. When a team like the Kings thinks he's terrible, it's a pretty big sign. Gauthier is a player that will shoot the team in the foot time and time again.
i think his contract is a big reason why he is disdained but yeah he isn't a great dman to put it lightly, however, for a #6 at a reasonable price is any worse then other guys that have been mentioned like walker or montador?

Old
06-29-2009, 05:25 PM
CanadianFlyer88
Knublin' PPs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brett3297 View Post
My first post..

JVR will not be a 4th line plugger.

Old
06-29-2009, 07:00 PM
ilovetheflyers8

Goalie Found

I found our back up goalie if Nitty doesn't return! Eddie Belfour! http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/news/story?id=4295830

Closed Thread