HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Matheson - Kings pushing hard to acquire Hossa's rights

Old
06-28-2009, 11:23 PM
DapperDan
Bad Thoughts

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by KGpens View Post
Hossa is one of the best 2-way forwards in the game.
But he's a jinx!

DapperDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2009, 11:37 PM
TonySCV
Two Timer!

It still goes back to whether or not the Kings are a team that top-tier FA's want to come play for, and I don't think much has changed in that regard.

DL knew he'd likely have to build a playoff team from within, and that is the path he's taking if he continues to strike out on key UFA's that he likes but who don't want to play here.

One thing is certain - it's definitely not going to be the money. DL's going to have no problem outbidding other teams. It's all about whether a guy in his prime or just on the cusp of leaving it will want to commit to a season or two of uncertainty.

The Kings desperately need a game breaker like Hossa if they want to jump-start a playoff run... otherwise it's back to debating how much incremental improvement this year's Kings "build from within" team makes.

- T

TonySCV is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2009, 11:55 PM
DJB
Sens best prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper45 View Post
How credible is this? Any news report out of Canada lately has stunk to holy hell.
It's very credible. The Kings are pushing hard for him. I have a little inside knowledge on the ordeal. Lombardi's is targetting Hossa first and if he cannot acquire him will then go back to acquiring Heatley knowing the Sens are in a tough spot with him...

DJB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2009, 11:55 PM
Zad
HFB Partner

I cannot imagine why Hossa would come here. After the ultimate backfire last season, I imagine he wants to win a Cup more than ever. If winning next season was not a priority, I still cannot see the Kings as a destination absent a long term contract. I am not sure what the Ducks' payroll looks like right now and what Teemu's status is, but if he does not re up with Detroit and wants to stay in the West, I could see him signing there or with Calgary.

Zad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2009, 11:57 PM
KingsRule

Send a message via AIM to KingsRule
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zad View Post
I cannot imagine why Hossa would come here. After the ultimate backfire last season, I imagine he wants to win a Cup more than ever. If winning next season was not a priority, I still cannot see the Kings as a destination absent a long term contract. I am not sure what the Ducks' payroll looks like right now and what Teemu's status is, but if he does not re up with Detroit and wants to stay in the West, I could see him signing there or with Calgary.
maybe well get gaborik instead? dont forget the bet you and i have...

KingsRule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2009, 11:59 PM
KingsRule

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeJong View Post
It's very credible. The Kings are pushing hard for him. I have a little inside knowledge on the ordeal. Lombardi's is targetting Hossa first and if he cannot acquire him will then go back to acquiring Heatley knowing the Sens are in a tough spot with him...
Theres no way were getting Heatley, The Orginization has already said multiple times they dont want him.

Old
06-29-2009, 12:05 AM
DapperDan
Bad Thoughts

Quote:
If the Ducks manage to swing Hossa, I will and bow to the greatness that is Bob Murray. The guy has really stepped out of Burke's shadow and made some good moves.

DapperDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2009, 12:27 AM
CycloneLaunch

Quote:
Originally Posted by DapperDan View Post
But he's a jinx!
No the true jinx is Ty Conklin! As long as we don't sign him we're safe

CycloneLaunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2009, 12:30 AM
Zad
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingsRule View Post
maybe well get gaborik instead? dont forget the bet you and i have...
Heh. Damn near forgot about that.

Old
06-29-2009, 12:35 AM
Quattro

Quote:

lol

Quattro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2009, 12:39 AM
Zad
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quattro View Post
lol
How do you lol and shake your head at the same time?

...or is it a lol, stop, and then shake the head? Which seems a bit manic.

Old
06-29-2009, 12:42 AM
Primakov!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMFJ 3 View Post
You could always move Brown over to left wing... Anyways, this is how I see it.
The only problem being that Brown has no interest in doing that. In one of the last interviews to close out the season Brown basically said that the team is going to have to find someone within or outside the organization that can play left wing because he and Handzus are not it.

Primakov! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2009, 01:02 AM
KingsRule

Quote:
Heh. Damn near forgot about that.
for what its worth, i hope you win the bet and we do sign gabby.

Old
06-29-2009, 01:10 AM
Telos
In Dean We Trust

vCash: 424
Send a message via ICQ to Telos Send a message via AIM to Telos Send a message via MSN to Telos Send a message via Yahoo to Telos
Quote:
That's where your potential credibility takes a hit. Either Lombardi & Co. have been lying to us for weeks now at every interview saying we have no interest in him or long-term $7+ million contracts so Murray will lower his price and we land him and he comes out and says "Hah! Fooled you all!", or you are wrong and we have no interest in Heatley. Knowing Lombardi, I would have to assume the latter.

Quote:
It was confirmed that Teemu is coming back for another season.

“This is for you Kings fans wherever you may be. All the frustration and disappointment of the past is gone. The 45 year drought is over. The Los Angeles Kings are indeed the Kings of the National Hockey League. They are the 2012 Stanley Cup Champions!” - Bob Miller
Telos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2009, 01:43 AM
DIEHARD the King fan

Hossa, Hossa, Hossa, . . . Pancakes!

DIEHARD the King fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2009, 02:35 AM
Zad
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingsRule View Post
for what its worth, i hope you win the bet and we do sign gabby.
Good grief, I said we would sign him? Never post drunk.

Old
06-29-2009, 02:40 AM
VictoryRose

I think my credibility is as good as anyone's, so I'll put the truth out there.

Hossa is #1 target.
Heatley is almost definitely not an option at this time.

there are two mandates though; to sell tickets and to make the playoffs.

the two tie in together nicely and unfortunately, Heatley might be the last resort. Heater is more likely to sell tickets than Hossa is, too.

VictoryRose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2009, 03:26 AM
DryIslandBartender
KCCO

Quote:
I cannot imagine why Hossa would come here. After the ultimate backfire last season, I imagine he wants to win a Cup more than ever. If winning next season was not a priority, I still cannot see the Kings as a destination absent a long term contract.
The only reason I can think of that the Kings would be a destination, is the fact the Kings are one of the few teams that can afford Hossa and.... Gaborik.

I only and ONLY see Hossa signing if the Kings tell him that they are after Gaborik as well.

Such a scenario is unlikely, I know.

DryIslandBartender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2009, 03:51 AM
DIEHARD the King fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by 24frolov View Post
The only reason I can think of that the Kings would be a destination, is the fact the Kings are one of the few teams that can afford Hossa and.... Gaborik.
I only and ONLY see Hossa signing if the Kings tell him that they are after Gaborik as well.

Such a scenario is unlikely, I know.
The sentence immediately above is what is known as a classic euphemistic understatement.

That JUST AIN'T GONNA HAPPEN!

DIEHARD the King fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2009, 08:08 AM
KGpens

Quote:
Originally Posted by DapperDan View Post
But he's a jinx!
If you get to the cup finals and lose next year, I think you'd take it

KGpens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2009, 08:14 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 50
I thought Lombardi wanted guys who won the Stanley Cup.

Hossa is like the anti-Cup.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonySCV View Post

One thing is certain - it's definitely not going to be the money. DL's going to have no problem outbidding other teams. It's all about whether a guy in his prime or just on the cusp of leaving it will want to commit to a season or two of uncertainty.
And I don't see DL getting into any bidding wars. Does that seem like his and AEG's style? They're going to make no more than two offers.

I love Gaborik, but I'm worried about his injuries. The guy is made of glass. The Kings don't need another Jason Allison situation.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2009, 11:42 AM
TonySCV
Two Timer!

Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson 514 View Post
And I don't see DL getting into any bidding wars. Does that seem like his and AEG's style? They're going to make no more than two offers.
The Kings had a ~$54MM payroll the last time they tried to make a run at the playoffs in 03-04. Money is not a factor.

I don't want Gaborik either for the same reason you mentioned. The injuries are just too commonplace.

- T

Old
06-29-2009, 11:46 AM
Face Wash

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonySCV View Post
The Kings had a ~$54MM payroll the last time they tried to make a run at the playoffs in 03-04. Money is not a factor.

I don't want Gaborik either for the same reason you mentioned. The injuries are just too commonplace.

- T
Money in terms of the war chest, no... money in terms of the cap... you KNOW that's a factor. signing Hossa and Frolov and Johnson and the other D-Man DL wants? not sure that's possible, but it would be nice.

Face Wash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2009, 11:48 AM
Buddy The Elf
Kings!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CycloneLaunch View Post
No the true jinx is Ty Conklin! As long as we don't sign him we're safe
For sure.. I think the Kings should sign him. It gives them a chance to lose in the Finals or play in the Winter Classic. The guy has played (on the losing side) of 3 of the last 4 SCF series and played in every Winter Classic game.

Buddy The Elf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2009, 12:00 PM
TonySCV
Two Timer!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Face Wash View Post
Money in terms of the war chest, no... money in terms of the cap... you KNOW that's a factor. signing Hossa and Frolov and Johnson and the other D-Man DL wants? not sure that's possible, but it would be nice.
You are certainly right about the cap. Lombardi has one bullet to fire on a top flight UFA in a cap world - that's it. If he misses - it's a huge mistake. If you're DL, you're going to target the select few players that you feel safe firing that bullet on, and you go after them. If it doesn't work out, then it's back to continuing to grow the young assets he has.

- T