HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

July 1: Free Agency Day -- (Knuble update #598)

Closed Thread

Old
06-29-2009, 01:33 PM
GoneFullHextall
adios Holmgren

vCash: 50
which is why they really should try and move Carle whos salary could be used on a 3rd line winger.
But that would mean Carle needs to get dealt in the next 48-72 hours, something I doubt happens.

Old
06-29-2009, 01:35 PM
Shadow Flyer
Why So Serious?

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersJunky View Post
At this point I don't know if they can afford any of them and still address the wings... They are losing approaching 60 goals if Knuble leaves; Briere makes up for some of that, if he stays, but the once strong three lines are now two strong ones and wing and a prayer -- pun intended -- The other center may have to be a bargain basement fit.
I don't know. That's kinda like asking "what will the Wings do without Hossa's 40 goals". Don't forget we will have a full season of Giroux and a full season of Briere (hopefully). People have to understand that it wasn't going to be possible to keep 3 dynamic scoring lines forever. The salary cap simply doesn't allow for it.

This teams problem isn't scoring goals, and it won't be because of the loss of Lupul, nor the possible loss of Knuble. We will score goals. The biggest concern is keeping goals out of our own net, and being a stronger 5-on-5 team. A 3rd line center who can check and take faceoffs is vital (IMO), and of course there's the addition of Pronger (who will also help the offense transition up the ice).

Of course, some more backchecking by the forwards, along with Emery being solid between the pipes would help greatly as well. We're gonna look a little different than the past couple seasons, and we should. We need to worry less about how many goals we score, and more about just scoring more than the other team on a nightly basis. If Homer does this right, that goal should be achieved.

Old
06-29-2009, 01:44 PM
HoverCarle*

Send a message via MSN to HoverCarle*
Quote:
Originally Posted by FireStevensDotCom View Post
which is why they really should try and move Carle whos salary could be used on a 3rd line winger.
But that would mean Carle needs to get dealt in the next 48-72 hours, something I doubt happens.
They could trade Carle straight up for a 3rd line winger who's already signed

Old
06-29-2009, 01:48 PM
JSTAFF

It seems obvious to me that Holgrem is willing to give up some goal scoring to become a better team overall. I say it every year when we have 3 scoring lines, it just doesn't make sense. 2 scoring lines with a checking line is the way to win.

Old
06-29-2009, 01:57 PM
FlyerX

Quote:
At this point I don't know if they can afford any of them and still address the wings... They are losing approaching 60 goals if Knuble leaves; Briere makes up for some of that, if he stays, but the once strong three lines are now two strong ones and wing and a prayer -- pun intended -- The other center may have to be a bargain basement fit.
I'll take the significantly improved defense and a full year of Giroux over that.

I don't see how they can re-sign Knuble. It does make them thin down the right wing. We'll see what happens.

Old
06-29-2009, 01:58 PM
DrHamburg

I know it hasn't been thrown out there, but I am pretty sure Radek Bonk was one of the better faceoff mean in the league last year. I wouldn't mind having him on the 4th line and taking important faceoffs in own zone and sub him out (I think he was at 59% last season but I haven't looked in a while.)

I would rather keep jones than Carle (even though i kinda like both) for the fact that carle has way more years on his deal than jones.

Old
06-29-2009, 01:58 PM
Kaktus*

AS is reporting the Blues bought out the last year of McKee's contract @ $4MM.

No link.

Old
06-29-2009, 02:03 PM
Kaktus*

Quote:
wow 60 goals? Now calculate how many goals Briere and Giroux will bring to the club if they play full season and with Pronger on our blue line calculate GA.

20-30 by Briere, ok 15-17 by Giroux (maybe more) and GA will be lower, lets just say by 20-25 and Pronger will score 8-10 goals and Timonen will probably score more because he would not have to kill him self playing D all the time.

am I missing something?

Old
06-29-2009, 02:07 PM
GoneFullHextall
adios Holmgren

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hovercraft View Post
They could trade Carle straight up for a 3rd line winger who's already signed
that is true.
I do wonder who is out there that would be a good fit for our 3rd line.

Old
06-29-2009, 02:07 PM
FlyerX

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrHamburg View Post
I know it hasn't been thrown out there, but I am pretty sure Radek Bonk was one of the better faceoff mean in the league last year. I wouldn't mind having him on the 4th line and taking important faceoffs in own zone and sub him out (I think he was at 59% last season but I haven't looked in a while.)

I would rather keep jones than Carle (even though i kinda like both) for the fact that carle has way more years on his deal than jones.
I always liked Bonk. I think he was a healthy scratch awhile last year in NSH, so that's not good. The top 9, right now, includes Powe, Carcillo and Asham. They'll need to add somebody. They should be able to get a top 9 forward for one of Jones or Carle.

Old
06-29-2009, 02:08 PM
bennysflyers16

I think Hnidy would be the perfect 6th Defenceman on the Flyers !!!!

Well perfect for me as my buddy is best friends with him and always hangs out with the team he is with once a year .

Seriously, Pahlsson/Malhotra is exactly what we need on the 3rd line and I am for trading Carle and keeping Dr. Jones, just for the fact Carles contract does not expire next year,

Old
06-29-2009, 02:13 PM
HoverCarle*

Send a message via MSN to HoverCarle*
Blues apparently didn't qualify Woywitka, could be a cheap replacement for Jones

Old
06-29-2009, 02:20 PM
Kaktus*

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireStevensDotCom View Post
that is true.
I do wonder who is out there that would be a good fit for our 3rd line.
It would be nice to have Downie or Upshall right about now but they were traded for Eminger who was traded along with Downie for Carle who we do not really want or have space for.

It is really scary to see Homer work. 1st for Timonen and Hartnell, 2nd 32nd over all for Biron, 1st (Carlson) for Eminger, traded Downie who was also 1st round pick, Traded Upshall and 2nd round pick too (got Carcillo), traded Lupul (former 1st) and plus two 1st round picks, Sbisa (former 1st round pick).

In 3 years with the Flyers Homer traded 5 1st round picks (I counted Sbisa as a 1st round pick) Not even Clarke did that. I hope Homer will get us that silver cup.

Old
06-29-2009, 02:23 PM
CantSeeColors

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hovercraft View Post
Blues apparently didn't qualify Woywitka, could be a cheap replacement for Jones
Woywitka-Seidenberg for the third pairing!

Old
06-29-2009, 02:24 PM
DeadPhish5858
Rumham!

vCash: 200
Send a message via AIM to DeadPhish5858
Homer also took a team that was dead last to challenging for the Eastern Division title in one year. I trust him.

Old
06-29-2009, 02:25 PM
Sawdalite
AbleWasIEreISawLupul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaktus View Post
wow 60 goals? Now calculate how many goals Briere and Giroux will bring to the club if they play full season and with Pronger on our blue line calculate GA.

20-30 by Briere, ok 15-17 by Giroux (maybe more) and GA will be lower, lets just say by 20-25 and Pronger will score 8-10 goals and Timonen will probably score more because he would not have to kill him self playing D all the time.

am I missing something?
Yes... IMO... Three solid lines; lines that can be mixed and matched as needed -- we all know that lines have 'magic' on their sticks for only a certain amount of time... and they are also changed in the postseason depending on the opponent -- I like the idea of THREE solid lines.

As to the lost goals... and I am conceding the lower GA, hopefully anyway... We can't assume that Giroux will not fall under the dreaded sophomore jix that often happens... And Briere -- who I love for his O and postseason magic, BTW -- has to be used sparingly and cautiously due to his D play.

The less options possessed by talented wings, the less ability to mix and match... and score when needed... Even with reduced GA, there are times when a team finds themselves needing O jolts to catch up.

Umberger was lost due to the Cap... Upshall also... Lupul was so they had space to bring in Pronger -- terrific move, potentially, IMO -- and Knuble possibly gone for Cap reasons... The pluses of Giroux and, and, well the plus of Giroux doesn't make up for the lost goals, and the lower GA may not be enough.

... IMO, I see the Flyers getting too thin on wing... We got our stud on D, but the cost was great up front; the once deep forwards are now shallow, as I see it.

All I want are two a decent wingers if Knuble goes... One can be Recchi... and a cheap but reliable 4th line center with FO skills. With that, I can see a Cup -- if the goalie situation doesn't tank.

Old
06-29-2009, 02:28 PM
FlyerX

Quote:
It would be nice to have Downie or Upshall right about now but they were traded for Eminger who was traded along with Downie for Carle who we do not really want or have space for.

It is really scary to see Homer work. 1st for Timonen and Hartnell, 2nd 32nd over all for Biron, 1st (Carlson) for Eminger, traded Downie who was also 1st round pick, Traded Upshall and 2nd round pick too (got Carcillo), traded Lupul (former 1st) and plus two 1st round picks, Sbisa (former 1st round pick).

In 3 years with the Flyers Homer traded 5 1st round picks (I counted Sbisa as a 1st round pick) Not even Clarke did that. I hope Homer will get us that silver cup.
Dmen tend not to slip the way scoring forwards do. The Pronger-Kimmo duo is as good as any 1-2 blueline punch the Flyers have had, ever. And I include Howe-McCrimmon in that.

Old
06-29-2009, 02:30 PM
Sawdalite
AbleWasIEreISawLupul

Quote:

Do you mean Umberger?... If not, you lost me on that one.

Old
06-29-2009, 02:37 PM
Sawdalite
AbleWasIEreISawLupul

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyerX View Post
Dmen tend not to slip the way scoring forwards do. The Pronger-Kimmo duo is as good as any 1-2 blueline punch the Flyers have had, ever. And I include Howe-McCrimmon in that.
Van Imp, Jimmy Watson were great also... and we can't forget Desjardins and Therien.

(Disclaimer: I am not a Bundy basher... but I can't pass up a slam-dunk joke. )

Old
06-29-2009, 02:40 PM
Sawdalite
AbleWasIEreISawLupul

FWIW: Eklund gives Briere not being traded an (e4).

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Eklun...ED-257/1/21831

See update at the bottom, bellow Twitter scroll.

Old
06-29-2009, 02:46 PM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Quote:
FWIW: Eklund gives Briere not being traded an (e4).

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Eklun...ED-257/1/21831

See update at the bottom, bellow Twitter scroll.
Wasnt Vancouver trading for Jbo an e4 also

Old
06-29-2009, 02:48 PM
FlyerX

Quote:
Van Imp, Jimmy Watson were great also... and we can't forget Desjardins and Therien.

(Disclaimer: I am not a Bundy basher... but I can't pass up a slam-dunk joke. )
Van Impe and Jim Watson???!!! . . . man you're old.

That's OK, so am I.

Old
06-29-2009, 02:49 PM
Opus

...Eklund. Ha!

I'm hoping that the Canadiens don't land Vinny and want to pay the price for Briere.

Old
Sawdalite
AbleWasIEreISawLupul

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa cyred View Post
Wasnt Vancouver trading for Jbo an e4 also
FWIW... I led with "FWIW".

Old
Kaktus*

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadPhish5858 View Post
Homer also took a team that was dead last to challenging for the Eastern Division title in one year. I trust him.

Homer took the team with Carter, Richards, Umberger, Knuble, Gagne with Downie Giroux as prospects, no real D with exception of Pitkanen, no real goalie just a back up in Nitty and very injured Forsberg who was traded and 20 million in cap space.

Team was far away from LA Kings when Lombardi took over or Leafs when Burke took over.

Closed Thread