HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Maxwell

Old
06-29-2009, 05:23 PM
Markowicz
Simple Jacques

vCash: 500
Maxwell

I know this guy had a pretty decent year in the AHL this year (third in rookie scoring), but i dont hear much talk of him cracking the lineup this year. If we swing a big deal that lands us a big talented center and Plekanec leaves along with Koivu, what are Maxwell's chances of becoming a 2nd line center next year? Can this guy be this years Kreici?

Markowicz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2009, 05:25 PM
Joey

Send a message via MSN to Joey
he's definitely "under-rated" (but in the reality of Habs fans overhyping everyone, he's probably "perfectly-rated")

Joey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2009, 05:26 PM
Ozymandias
#firetherrien

Maxwell still needs some AHL grooming and get bigger. A year under Boucher wouldn't be bad for him.

But after that, he should at least be on par with Plekanec in terms of progression, talent and production, if not more.

Ozymandias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2009, 05:27 PM
habomatic

I think it would be a stretch for him to make it, he did well in the AHL but he seemed overwhelmed when he was called up. I think he needs more time to bulk up and learn the pro game. Hopefully he keeps progressing and we'll be happy with how he turns out though!

Cheers,
fly

habomatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2009, 05:28 PM
ReVeuF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey View Post
he's definitely "under-rated" (but in the reality of Habs fans overhyping everyone, he's probably "perfectly-rated")
LOL so true, but it is good if we do not talk about him too much, at least he develop in a quiet environment (and this is rare in Habs world).

ReVeuF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2009, 05:29 PM
Freaky Habs Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre Jr View Post
I know this guy had a pretty decent year in the AHL this year (third in rookie scoring), but i dont hear much talk of him cracking the lineup this year. If we swing a big deal that lands us a big talented center and Plekanec leaves along with Koivu, what are Maxwell's chances of becoming a 2nd line center next year? Can this guy be this years Kreici?
I don't think he's ready to play a whole season in the NHL yet. He's probably close, and he'll be able to play a few games with the big club as soon as next year, but I can't see him as our second line center for at least another year. We can always sign someone like Lang to fill in...meanwhile, Maxwell will be able to work with Guy Boucher in Hamilton. I think he would be a great coach for Ben!

Freaky Habs Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2009, 05:29 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
He could surprise, but I think at this point, the Habs have to plan that he will need another year AHL.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2009, 05:33 PM
Markowicz
Simple Jacques

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozymandias View Post
Maxwell still needs some AHL grooming and get bigger. A year under Boucher wouldn't be bad for him.

But after that, he should at least be on par with Plekanec in terms of progression, talent and production, if not more.
Yeah that's kind of what i thought, i think he eventually makes Plekanec expendable. IMO, Plekanec is the guy to trade (with other parts of course). If we do get a guy like Jokinen or Marleau, Plekanec makes the most sense to go. I see Maxwell as being a guy, if forced into action with good players, to be as productive as Plekanec, and also a guy with a bit more hockey sense and creativity with the puck. I still think the Sedins are our best option, if we can pull it off.

Markowicz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2009, 05:36 PM
DeVries*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freaky Habs Fan View Post
I don't think he's ready to play a whole season in the NHL yet. He's probably close, and he'll be able to play a few games with the big club as soon as next year, but I can't see him as our second line center for at least another year. We can always sign someone like Lang to fill in...meanwhile, Maxwell will be able to work with Guy Boucher in Hamilton. I think he would be a great coach for Ben!
Good point, that's what I think too. I'd love to see Maxwell as a first center all year long in Hamilton.

DeVries* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2009, 05:39 PM
Ozymandias
#firetherrien

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey View Post
I don't overhype everyone or anyone... (just saying), but like Weber and Pacioretty, Maxwell has been very good in his rookie season, making the transition from Junior hockey to a men's league. 3rd among all AHL rookies in points is a pretty good start, and shows a lot of potential for growth. To me, that's a clear sign of someone who will eventually break out in the NHL, like Plekanec, AKost and Higgins did (and I'm pretty sure SKost will join them eventually in terms of progression).

IF you look at a guy like Desharnais, he was 4th in rookie scoring right after Maxwell, but Desharnais is older (22), while Maxwell (20) was at the minimal age. I see Maxwell as very promising.

I can't wait to see all three progress.

Weber was also very good in his rookie season, finishing 7th for PPG among ALL Ahl defensemen. He too is very promising.

Ozymandias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2009, 07:14 PM
Little Nilan

Send a message via AIM to Little Nilan
I really like him, almost had 60 points in his first season. With Boucher running the PP and Weber, Subban, Pacioretty, D'Agostini, he should be poised for a great season.

The guy I hope breaks out next year is Ryan White(well, him and Chipchura).

Little Nilan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2009, 07:29 PM
NewHabsEra*

He is too passive, still room for improvement, definitely not NHL ready yet, he is a nice prospect, has a nice package but he needs to be more dominant in the AHL before getting another callup.. at least another season in the AHL IMO.

NewHabsEra* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2009, 07:42 PM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Quote:
I'd be very surprised if he was ready for a full time role. I would much rather see him in Hamilton working on his game. He did have a good year for sure, and I expect to see him get some games with the Habs.

montreal is offline   Reply With Quote