HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Pick #81 - Adam Morrison - G - Saskatoon (WHL)

Old
06-27-2009, 05:20 PM
nevermore
Cap space since 2005

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ILIKETURTLES08 View Post
Bad Pick. The last Adam Morrison drafted by a professional team was also a "G" and he was a huge bust. but he did just win a ring
No everything makes sense. Morrison is the missing piece to the Stanley Cup puzzle.

nevermore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2009, 06:18 PM
Haute Couturier

Quote:
Originally Posted by BiLLY_ShOE1721 View Post
I'm with you, I'm still pissed at him right now. Holmgren is not the pope in the 16th century, he's not infallible. Coming from the guy who drafted Klotz in the 3rd round when he was likely to go undrafted, and traded for Eminger instead of taking Carlson or Markstrom.
You are right Homer is questionable as a GM, but I can't blame him for these picks. This is all the scouting staff and Neil Little.

This is our 3rd year in a row taking a a questionable WHL talent in the 3rd round since Mark Greig came aboard as our Western scout. Klotz in 07 was a huge reach and everyone knew it was a bad pick the moment it happened. DeSerres was a reach last year and is pretty much a flop already. Morrison is a huge reach, but it's too early to really say.

Haute Couturier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2009, 08:11 PM
Amateur Hour

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyHigh View Post
Yes, because Carlson has been such an NHL sensation.

Oh.

Wait a minute.

Oh, maybe he's been an AHL sensation.

Oh.

Wait a minute.

Honestly, is this some kind of Michael Jackson tribute, the continued fawning over 18 year-old boys?
Ooooh, you're a witty one! Seriously, get over yourself. I guess prospects shouldn't be held in high regard if they don't make the AHL/NHL the season after they get drafted, right? Hey, at least your reasoning is sound. Oh, wait a minute.

Amateur Hour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2009, 08:20 PM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Libertine View Post
You are right Homer is questionable as a GM, but I can't blame him for these picks. This is all the scouting staff and Neil Little.

This is our 3rd year in a row taking a a questionable WHL talent in the 3rd round since Mark Greig came aboard as our Western scout. Klotz in 07 was a huge reach and everyone knew it was a bad pick the moment it happened. DeSerres was a reach last year and is pretty much a flop already. Morrison is a huge reach, but it's too early to really say.
The GM is responsible for managing his staff, and ultimately responsible for all acquisitions. If your scouting staff is serving you poorly, then you need to find a new scouting staff.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2009, 08:24 PM
goteam

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7HUu6G52yJw

Last edited by MiamiScreamingEagles: 06-27-2009 at 10:19 PM. Reason: Fixed the link
goteam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2009, 08:25 PM
Amateur Hour

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opus View Post
There isn't a team in the league that has guessed wrong and drafted/traded the wrong guy...not a single one. And each team has done it multiple times. If the Flyers had a history of this type of thing and it resulted in them being a mediocre franchise, then I would be pissed...but it hasn't. They have been a very competitive team and will continue to be for the foreseeable future.

I find your location quite fitting for your post.
Don't worry about my location. My post was not meant to be negative or lambast the front office. Rather, it was merely meant to refute the idea that people who aren't part of the scouting/drafting process should keep their mouths shut and never question the almighty decision makers.

Old
06-27-2009, 09:05 PM
Haute Couturier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
The GM is responsible for managing his staff, and ultimately responsible for all acquisitions. If your scouting staff is serving you poorly, then you need to find a new scouting staff.
Fair point, but I just meant I don't think he's making these late round picks.

Haute Couturier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2009, 09:15 PM
Larry44
FlyersTankNation

Quote:
Originally Posted by McNasty View Post
I love how some of you guys think that your better scouts then the ones working for the Flyers.
What are you trying to say, that pro scouts who see guys over and over again, meet their families, watch tape of all their games and have a network of hockey contacts in all continents know the players better than internexperts who've only ever see the stats?

Larry44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2009, 09:21 PM
Opus

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amateur Hour View Post
Don't worry about my location. My post was not meant to be negative or lambast the front office. Rather, it was merely meant to refute the idea that people who aren't part of the scouting/drafting process should keep their mouths shut and never question the almighty decision makers.
I'm not in the least bit worried about your location, I just found it ironic.

Sure you can question people in the organization, but at the same time...you're not privy to all the information they have on these players. You're not all over the place watching these kids mature and progress, nor have you met with them. I think it's only fair to give a proper assessment of these picks made over the last two days is to wait and see how they pan out. They haven't been in the organization for more than 72 hours and some of you are already writing them off.

Patience.

Opus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2009, 10:09 PM
FlyHigh

Send a message via AIM to FlyHigh Send a message via MSN to FlyHigh
Quote:
Ooooh, you're a witty one! Seriously, get over yourself. I guess prospects shouldn't be held in high regard if they don't make the AHL/NHL the season after they get drafted, right? Hey, at least your reasoning is sound. Oh, wait a minute.
Sorry, I mean, I didn't mean to disparage your reputation as an expert scout. You wanted us to take John Carlson who is obviously going to be an NHL stud and probable Norris Trophy winner.

Sure the Flyers have taken Gagne, Giroux, Sbisa, JVR, Richards, Carter, Williams, Sharp, Fraser, Picard, Cechmanek, and others in recent drafts.

But, you identified John Carlson. Seriously, John ****ing Carlson. The greatest defensive prospect of the past 10 years.

John. Carlson.

Obviously, when it comes to drafts, you really have a superior intellect, much better than the Flyers organization, I'm really glad that you extensively scouted Morrison in order to ensure that he would be a failure of a pick.

Thanks for your contribution.

FlyHigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2009, 01:20 AM
Amateur Hour

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opus View Post
I'm not in the least bit worried about your location, I just found it ironic.

Sure you can question people in the organization, but at the same time...you're not privy to all the information they have on these players. You're not all over the place watching these kids mature and progress, nor have you met with them. I think it's only fair to give a proper assessment of these picks made over the last two days is to wait and see how they pan out. They haven't been in the organization for more than 72 hours and some of you are already writing them off.

Patience.
Who am I writing off? Certainly not Adam Morrison, whose name I never so much as mentioned in any of my posts.

I think you might have missed the point of my original post.

Last edited by Opus: 06-28-2009 at 08:18 AM.
Old
06-28-2009, 08:07 AM
JXC
#LaviPondHockeyFail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry44 View Post
What are you trying to say, that pro scouts who see guys over and over again, meet their families, watch tape of all their games and have a network of hockey contacts in all continents know the players better than internexperts who've only ever see the stats?
Odd how, every year, these draft day threads turn into internexpert personality exposés where only one of every two or three hundred words is actually in reference to the pick.

It's a real phenomenon. Seriously.

JXC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2009, 08:21 AM
Ex Storm
Dig out your soul...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JXC View Post
Odd how, every year, these draft day threads turn into internexpert personality exposés where only one of every two or three hundred words is actually in reference to the pick.

Gotta hand it to you, I like that one.

Ex Storm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2009, 08:34 AM
Opus

vCash: 50
Quote:
Who am I writing off? Certainly not Adam Morrison, whose name I never so much as mentioned in any of my posts.

In the original post you made, you voiced your displeasure over not picking Carlson. Sure Carlson had a great season in the 'O, but this sort of thing happens all the time. Teams miss players, multiple teams. To look back on it is very easy to do. See below.

Let's look back on the 1987 draft for a second...

1.) Buffalo - Pierre Turgeon
2.) New Jersey - Brendan Shanahan
3.) Boston - Glen Wesley
4.) Los Angeles - Wayne McBean
5.) Pittsburgh - Chris Joseph
6.) Minnesota - Dave Archibald
7.) Toronto - Luke Richardson
8.) Chicago - Jimmy Waite
9.) Quebec - Bryan Fogarty
10.) NY Rangers - Jayson More
11.) Detroit - Yves Racine
12.) St. Louis - Keith Osborne
13.) NY Islanders - Dean Chynoweth
14.) Boston - Stephane Quintal

15.) Quebec - Joe ****in' Sakic

You think the names are bad, look at the stats.

Opus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2009, 09:03 AM
BringBackStevens

Send a message via AIM to BringBackStevens
Quote:
Originally Posted by JXC View Post

It's one thing when people on here evaluate NHL players, who they actually MAYBE have seen play a bunch of times, but when it comes to people crying over players they have literally never seen even once its just ridiculous

BringBackStevens is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2009, 10:45 AM
FlyHigh

Quote:

Your point in your original post seems to have been that we should be allowed to question the Flyers on their draft picks and as evidence, you use the fact that you liked John Carlson and that he had a good year in the OHL.

I'd be willing to bet my left nut that no Flyers fan posting in this thread has seen Morrison play more than 3 times and I'd be extremely shocked if you've seen Carlson play more than 5 times in the OHL.

The fact is that the Flyers have a sterling record over the past 10-11 years when it comes to drafting, especially considering that they're usually picking in the low to mid 20s.

Question them on trades? Fine. Question them on cap management? More than fine. Question them for not firing Stevens? A-okay.

But questioning them on draft picks is just really dumb. Inebriator sums it up really well in this post.

Quote:
It's one thing when people on here evaluate NHL players, who they actually MAYBE have seen play a bunch of times, but when it comes to people crying over players they have literally never seen even once its just ridiculous
How many times have you seen Carlson play live? Have you been traveling to Indiana and London, Ontario over the past 3 years to determine whether he's a good prospect?

Guess what, the Flyers have a superb drafting record, I'd go so far as to say that when you consider where they usually pick, they're top-5 in the league.

Look at the core of the team.

Richards - Drafted.
Carter - Drafted.
Coburn - Obviously scouted and then acquired.
Gagne - Drafted.
Giroux - Drafted.
Pronger - Used assets gained from former draft picks to acquire him.
Carle - Used former picks and a draft-day trade to acquire him.
Parent - Scouted out and acquired while a prospect.
Powe - Undrafted FA
Niittymaki - Drafted

Any time that 4 of a team's top-6 forwards have been drafted by that team, it's fairly safe to assume that the team is doing a solid job in the draft.

The Flyers drafting and scouting departments have done an excellent job and to think that you automatically have the right to question them (when you haven't seen any of the drafted players) is just dumb.

Last edited by FlyHigh: 06-28-2009 at 11:04 AM.
Old
06-28-2009, 11:02 AM
HoverCarle*

Send a message via MSN to HoverCarle*
um Flyhigh, I think Inebriator arguing the same point as you. might want to re-read his post

HoverCarle* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2009, 11:03 AM
FlyHigh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hovercraft View Post
um Flyhigh, I think Inebriator arguing the same point as you. might want to re-read his post
I'm using his post as a positive point, I think it's a very good post that succinctly sums up the problem with many fans on this board and their rating of prospects.

For example, I have a strong opinion on JVR because I've watched him a lot. I don't have particularly strong opinions on Marshall, Bourdon, Maroon, or even Nodl simply because I haven't watched them a whole lot.

Old
06-29-2009, 10:04 AM
Terence Peterman

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyers ltd View Post
Cue the outrage from all the Canadian junior experts in Marlton that their favorite guy wasn't taken.
I don't know how serious you're being, but the last thing I heard about Chris Holden was he actually withdrew his name from the draft and was leaning towards waiting and becoming a free agent with the availability to sign with whichever team he wanted. This was about five weeks ago.

Terence Peterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2009, 10:20 AM
BringBackStevens

Send a message via AIM to BringBackStevens
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyHigh View Post
I'm using his post as a positive point, I think it's a very good post that succinctly sums up the problem with many fans on this board and their rating of prospects.

For example, I have a strong opinion on JVR because I've watched him a lot. I don't have particularly strong opinions on Marshall, Bourdon, Maroon, or even Nodl simply because I haven't watched them a whole lot.
Yeah, which makes sense, but you find on this board that apparently thousands upon thousands of casual fans make a point to watch each and every ~300 players with a shot to be drafted each season multiple times in order to form well balanced opinions.

Actually, its just a bunch of retards reading articles and stat lines and strutting around like they actually know something

BringBackStevens is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2009, 11:33 AM
kicksave27

He's got size and quick feet. If we get a decent goalie coach, he's got a shot. The fact that Neil is going around looking at the goalies just makes me alot more confident about the picks. It takes a goalie to know one. He might have been a career AHLer, but he played a long long time. Neil also played his last year of pro hockey in sweden, so he's seen those guys before, as well as on his scouting tours.

kicksave27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2009, 06:48 PM
ORYX

God forbid we actually you know, let the drafted players develope before critisizing the choices made by management?

I find it rather pathetic that the draft was three days ago and already the Flyers lost, picking nothing but flop players, and "The flyers suck at drfting 3,4, 5 rounders, Homer needs to be fired, Fire the whole scouting staff etc."

Get your heads out of your A**** and let the dam players develop before you tell everyone how much of a better drafter you are.

Drafting players beleive it or not isnt about how good they are NOW, but about how good they COULD be in the FUTURE.

I guess that idea is just too large a thing for some of you to wrap your heads around.

I suspect GM's and Director's of Operations will be calling each and everyone of you in the very near future, as you know more about the players you have never seem play just once, then those who's career and profession it is to go and watch these players.

BTW, there is a reason the scouts working for Central scouting work for Central Scouting and NOT and NHL team, hmm, makes you wonder no?

ORYX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2009, 09:52 PM
Yertle The Turtle

Send a message via AIM to Yertle The Turtle Send a message via MSN to Yertle The Turtle Send a message via Yahoo to Yertle The Turtle
Quote:
Originally Posted by ORYX View Post
God forbid we actually you know, let the drafted players develope before critisizing the choices made by management?

I find it rather pathetic that the draft was three days ago and already the Flyers lost, picking nothing but flop players, and "The flyers suck at drfting 3,4, 5 rounders, Homer needs to be fired, Fire the whole scouting staff etc."

Get your heads out of your A**** and let the dam players develop before you tell everyone how much of a better drafter you are.

Drafting players beleive it or not isnt about how good they are NOW, but about how good they COULD be in the FUTURE.

I guess that idea is just too large a thing for some of you to wrap your heads around.

I suspect GM's and Director's of Operations will be calling each and everyone of you in the very near future, as you know more about the players you have never seem play just once, then those who's career and profession it is to go and watch these players.

BTW, there is a reason the scouts working for Central scouting work for Central Scouting and NOT and NHL team, hmm, makes you wonder no?
Morrison was actually my pick guys. Sorry

Yertle The Turtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2009, 02:35 AM
dbr2
Lockout Beard

Send a message via AIM to dbr2
Loll

dbr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2009, 04:46 AM
captainpaxil

its a risky pick. i would have probably gone with one of the better known guys on the board. mike lee was out there so was roy. after not having an early pick "best american goalie" is an easier sell as the top prospect you take away from the draft as oposed to an obscure backup. selling this kid as the future of the franchise is going to be hard. and with limited picks next year our chance at getting a goalie of the quality that was passed over is negligible. its okay to be cocky and if they had went off the board with a forward id be right there with em but given teh flyers history with goaltenders im real wait and see.

captainpaxil is offline   Reply With Quote