HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Jumping, Plyometrics and Explosiveness?

Old
06-04-2009, 08:05 PM
BadHammy*
MSL For Hart!

vCash: 500
Jumping, Plyometrics and Explosiveness?

I've done some plyos off and on for a few months, and recently noticed something funny. I can stand and do a two footed jump and land on a table that is 32-33" above the ground, but my one-footed vertical is only approx 24". I'm 6'1" but have short arms. I'm a pretty fast skater with good leg strength. My question is, is this jumping difference normal or am I a bizarre freak?

BadHammy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2009, 09:23 PM
noobman

Quote:
Originally Posted by MistaWrista View Post
I've done some plyos off and on for a few months, and recently noticed something funny. I can stand and do a two footed jump and land on a table that is 32-33" above the ground, but my one-footed vertical is only approx 24". I'm 6'1" but have short arms. I'm a pretty fast skater with good leg strength. My question is, is this jumping difference normal or am I a bizarre freak?
I'm not an expert on jumping, but that sounds about normal considering that jumping uses more than just your leg muscles.

noobman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2009, 06:21 PM
EmptyNetter

Quote:
I guess I don't know what you mean by a one footed vertical leap. Do you mean you drive upward with one bent knee while your rear leg stays straight? If so I'd expect your front foot to get more height than in a two footed jump -- in a 1-footed jump you can lean to give your driving foot an advantage. Could it be a difference in technique? Are you driving straight up or are you also leaping forward?

EmptyNetter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2009, 01:01 AM
Mayor Bee
\/me_____you\/

Quote:
This isn't uncommon in the least. The basic reason is that you're fairly stable on both feet; when you're jumping from two feet, the energy is (mostly) going straight up.

When you're standing on one foot, the body receives different feedback and undergoes a continuous series of adjustments since its primary job at that point is maintaining balance. Rather than being able to drive straight up, there's a lot of wasted motion and energy caused by the small muscles about the ankle and foot involuntarily contracting to maintain balance.

You'll also notice that if you do a bodyweight squat, chances are you can get much lower on two feet than on one; the balance thing is only partially to blame (the rest has to do with isometric strength throughout the leg).

Mayor Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2009, 12:57 PM
190Octane

Quote:
I would think that would be expected. Can you curl or bench more weight with one arm or two? I would think it would be the same thing with two feet vs. one foot from a stand still.

190Octane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2009, 01:10 PM
Headcoach

Send a message via AIM to Headcoach Send a message via MSN to Headcoach Send a message via Yahoo to Headcoach
Quote:
Nope, you are fine! It's like doing one arm push-ups. You can do more with both arms. However, I do have some drills you can use to help improve that one legged jump. PM me and I will send you some dry land training stuff. That is if I haven't sent it to you already.

Head coach

06-25-2009, 01:38 PM
RandV
It's a wolf v2.0

vCash: 50
I'm kind of disappointed... I glanced at the thread title and thought it read "Jumping, Pyrotechnics, and Explosives" and immediately clicked on it.

RandV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2009, 10:51 PM
BadHammy*
MSL For Hart!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandV View Post
I'm kind of disappointed... I glanced at the thread title and thought it read "Jumping, Pyrotechnics, and Explosives" and immediately clicked on it.
LOL. I think I will begin doing more 1 footed plyo's when I have the time!

BadHammy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2009, 07:18 PM
Headcoach

Send a message via AIM to Headcoach Send a message via MSN to Headcoach Send a message via Yahoo to Headcoach
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandV View Post
Yeah me too. However, if you want that. go to my Facebook account and click on the videos. Start at the bottom.

http://www.facebook.com/inbox/index....82491&ref=name

Hope this helps!

Head coach

Headcoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2009, 10:16 PM
milkshow

Check out this link

http://www.playyourgame.com/quickness.html

milkshow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2009, 09:22 PM
CaptKirk

Quote:
Originally Posted by liveforthegame View Post
this stuff is gold

CaptKirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2009, 11:53 AM
milkshow

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptKirk View Post
this stuff is gold
There's some other interesting articles on that site too, I just included some of those exercises in my workout.

milkshow is offline   Reply With Quote