HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Bolland Re-signs 5 year Deal

Old
06-29-2009, 08:02 PM
State of Hockey

vCash: 500
3.3 is a little easier to take than 3.6. Still a risky, proactive signing though. Might work, might not. Tallon is one aggressive GM.

State of Hockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2009, 08:02 PM
salty justice

AWESOME deal. I was predicting a 3 year $9mil contract and this is even better.

I think Bolland will be a 60 point guy by year 2 of this deal. How many 60 point players make under $3.5mil? Bolland will get respect as a top #2C in the league and great two way player soon.

salty justice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2009, 08:05 PM
Rivet52
Sabres & Blackhawks

Send a message via AIM to Rivet52
As a Hawks fan, I like this signing. Bolland is a very important player to us and some outsiders don't realize what he's already done. I agree, it does seem like a little bit too much right now but I also agree that this will look like a very nice contract in a few years from now. However, I am worried about the future. As for Havlat, NO ONE would have expected him to play 81 games this season. Sure, if he isn't resigned, someone will pay him a lot. I think it's more important to look to Toews and Kane for next year than Khabibulin and Havlat right now, even though both will be big losses if they indeed don't get resigned.

Rivet52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2009, 08:06 PM
mrmyheadhurts
Registered Loser

vCash: 50
The price seems about right (maybe a tad high when you consider a comparable on the Canucks in Burrows is making 2m per) but that length would make me nervous. At least, as far as I can tell, there's no trade clauses that would prevent the Hawks moving him if it doesn't work out.

mrmyheadhurts is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2009, 08:07 PM
Teemu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chayos View Post
I disagree. The CBA was negotiated by people other than Lowe. Lowe was the first to figure out that a RFA offer was possible under the new CBA. Bolland is signed to that deal because it would have cost only a 2nd rounder to sign him for 3.1 million as a RFA.
It would have cost a 1st, 2nd, & 3rd rounder at that price

Teemu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2009, 08:08 PM
Karl Hungus

What are Kane and Toews going to command as RFAs? It is going to be substantial. If Khabbi and Havlat walk and they can somehow unload Campbell and his 7.1million camp hit then they're in great shape with guys like Bolland at 3.2million.

Karl Hungus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2009, 08:31 PM
WalterSobchak
Blues Trololol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chayos View Post
I disagree. The CBA was negotiated by people other than Lowe. Lowe was the first to figure out that a RFA offer was possible under the new CBA. Bolland is signed to that deal because it would have cost only a 2nd rounder to sign him for 3.1 million as a RFA.
Lowe wasn't the first to figure it out (St. Louis tossed a few RFAs around in the previous CBA...we'd rather not discuss how that went) he is just the scape goat as the restrictions to the RFA offer sheet became much more lenient under this CBA.

People who blame Lowe for that need to learn their 90's hockey history. In this reguard, they can blame Bettmen. And the BOG, and the NHLPA and hell while we're at it lets blame Eagleson too.

WalterSobchak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2009, 08:56 PM
Retail1LO

Send a message via ICQ to Retail1LO Send a message via AIM to Retail1LO Send a message via MSN to Retail1LO
If teams intend on poaching our RFA's, it's going to cost them. Not only whatever contract they sign them to against the cap, but the picks they'll be mortgaging. Good picks, and lots of 'em. The draft is more important now than ever. Homegrown, cheap talent is king. Teams like the Hawks, Blues, Blue Jackets, Kings etc...are well stocked. Pittsburgh just showed what can be done from within as well.

Retail1LO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2009, 09:25 PM
Beukeboom Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by danishh View Post
the better option is to do what we used to do, offer him a 1-2 year contract at a minimal raise. That is the contract where he has to prove consistency and it was also the contract where he would provide the most bang for the buck. After that, if he had proven himself, he could move on to big boy money.
IMO - it's definetely a judgement call. IF the Hawks think that Bolland's a part of the core, and I think it's obvious they do considering that he was the Hawks leading minute player among forwards by over 1.5 minutes, and they can get an arbitration eligible year and UFA year for $3.3M, it's potentially a good deal. You do down the short term route, and if Bolland breaks out after 2 years, you pretty much assuredly lose him after committing big dollars to Toews & Kane.

I think it's a decent deal, because I think the Bolland could be a bargain on the contract years 3-5.

Beukeboom Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2009, 10:36 PM
BrooklynCapsFan
Waiting on the Isles

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
Brian Burke was 100% correct on this issue.
The 2nd contract was ruined well before the first offer sheet was tendered.

Nash Extension

BrooklynCapsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2009, 10:39 PM
Hawksfan12*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackie Treehorn View Post
As the Hawks let supporting pieces of their team leave (Havlat) to remain under the cap, Kane, Toews, Bolland, and Keith/Seabrook will continue to get better. It'll offset. This is a good deal.
Exactly. This. Post.

Hawksfan12* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2009, 10:43 PM
Retail1LO

Send a message via ICQ to Retail1LO Send a message via AIM to Retail1LO Send a message via MSN to Retail1LO
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawksfan12 View Post
Exactly. This. Post.
I approve of this approval.

Old
06-29-2009, 11:10 PM
Tavaresmagicalplay*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arjun View Post
Hawks are ****ed when they have to resign Kane, Toews, Keith, Ladd next offseason. Already sitting at 33.76M with 7 forwards, 4D-men, 1G signed..Still need to re-sign key RFA's Versteeg, Barker and UFA's Pahlsson and Havlat, and still leavel ong term room for the 4 aforementioned coming up..
Thats been said about every single team. Philly, Anaheim, Calgary, Pittsburgh, Boston. Not one team(other than currently boston) has decided not to sign their best young players and because they signed them they have continued to be competitive. This whole "they can't sign them all" stuff is ridiculous. They can and they will.

Last edited by Tavaresmagicalplay*: 06-29-2009 at 11:19 PM.
Tavaresmagicalplay* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2009, 11:25 PM
Teemu

The Blackhawks also re-signed Jake Dowell and Antti Niemi

Old
06-29-2009, 11:31 PM
salty justice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teemu View Post
Safe to assume Niemi's contract is a 2-way and he'll be starting in Rockford this year?

salty justice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2009, 12:30 AM
Sean Garrity
They call me Hampus

i would like to see a Hawks fan reasonably crunch some numbers when you have to resign Toews, Keith, and Kane in the same year...that number could get close to 20M if those 3 get greedy. If your paying Bolland 3.4 to be your 2nd line center(not saying i disagree w/the contract), and Campbell 7.14 to be a 2nd pairing dman, then how in the world can you expect those 3 to take less money than those 2? On the open market each of them could get 6-7M easily...And that is leaving out guys like Burish, Ladd, and Hjalmarsson who need to be signed next year and Barker, Versteeg, and Havlat who need to be signed this year.

How is this going to work?

Sean Garrity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2009, 12:33 AM
Blackhawkswincup
Global Moderator

vCash: 340
Quote:
God#@(!%!

I didn't like Niemi at all after seeing him last year. He gives up too many rebounds with those pads and he doesn't seem that sound technically.

If he ends up our #2 this year I will be pissed

Blackhawkswincup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2009, 02:18 AM
brtriad

Send a message via AIM to brtriad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackhawkswincup View Post
God#@(!%!

I didn't like Niemi at all after seeing him last year. He gives up too many rebounds with those pads and he doesn't seem that sound technically.

Agreed. I'd much rather have Crawford signed. He has been impressive when in called upon in the NHL. Niemi isn't a bad goaltender, but Crawford's play has done more to merit time in the NHL,rather than Rockford.

brtriad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2009, 02:47 AM
EmeticDonut

Quote:
God#@(!%!

even if i like crawford more at this time, i trust the management has a more complete picture of what niemi can do than some HF board posters. and i wouldn't throw niemi under the bus just yet. it was his first year of NA hockey.

EmeticDonut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2009, 06:00 AM
Blackwater13*

Quote:
Originally Posted by karacter View Post
i would like to see a Hawks fan reasonably crunch some numbers when you have to resign Toews, Keith, and Kane in the same year...that number could get close to 20M if those 3 get greedy. If your paying Bolland 3.4 to be your 2nd line center(not saying i disagree w/the contract), and Campbell 7.14 to be a 2nd pairing dman, then how in the world can you expect those 3 to take less money than those 2? On the open market each of them could get 6-7M easily...And that is leaving out guys like Burish, Ladd, and Hjalmarsson who need to be signed next year and Barker, Versteeg, and Havlat who need to be signed this year.

As already mention Kane is making almost 4 mil and Toews 3. The increase to the second contract will not be as great as people make it out to be. People act as if they are playing for free. Also some guys won't be resigned its simply a matter of fact. You can't keep everyone. You have a core and the rest is moving pieces just like every other team in the league. You bring up young players or sing cheaper vets. Havlat is probably gone however the core of younger players will get better. They have a couple guys coming also that can contribute. Everything people are saying about the Hawks now was also said about the Pens. They can't keep the team together and they have major cap problems blah blah blah and look at them. They have a core and a bunch of moving pieces. Every good team in the league who is up against the cap is in a similar situation as the Hawks. And the other teams in the conference coming with good young talent (LA, St. Louis, Columbus etc..) are gone be in a similar situation as the Hawks if there players pan out. They will have to make decisions on who to keep and who to let go because you can't pay everyone.

Blackwater13* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2009, 09:09 AM
Teemu

Quote:
God#@(!%!

At worst, it'll make Crawford work harder to keep a spot on the roster.

Old
06-30-2009, 09:28 AM
Retail1LO

Quote:
Originally Posted by karacter View Post

I wouldn't call the restricted free agency market a "free" one. Especially not when you're talking about spending 6 to 7 million. The Sedins have been producing 80+ points annually for YEARS, and they still might not fetch that. Besides...do you understand how much of a teams future draft picks they'll have to mortgage to sign them at that price?

Some people ARE going to leave. Brace for impact. The idea is to lock up the guys that are most important, just like the Penguins did. When you draft SO MANY good players, as there's a potential to do when you draft high year after year, you're going to be in a position where you have your top guys, and every summer you're looking to fill in the gaps. That's how this game works, son.

Old
06-30-2009, 09:31 AM
Retail1LO

I'm going out on a limb and saying that Toews and Kane get offered somewhere in the neighborhood of $4.5-$5.5 million per year apiece next summer...for somewhere around 5 years. Leaning towards the high end of that.

Old
06-30-2009, 10:34 AM
cantwell7

vCash: 490
Quote:
At worst, it'll make Crawford work harder to keep a spot on the roster.
When does Crawford become eligable for Waivers ?

cantwell7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2009, 11:06 AM
RandV
It's a wolf v2.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreaBargnani View Post
Thats been said about every single team. Philly, Anaheim, Calgary, Pittsburgh, Boston. Not one team(other than currently boston) has decided not to sign their best young players and because they signed them they have continued to be competitive. This whole "they can't sign them all" stuff is ridiculous. They can and they will.
Yeah, it's a side effect of the cap. When teams get too loaded they will eventually bleed players, which is one of the reasons why we have such good parity in the NHL. It's happened before and will continue to happen. At best a team may find themselves in Chicago's situation and have a good 1-3 year window of opportunity to leverage it, but eventually the key to long term success is to effectively manage these losses. While above there are some examples of teams that have done this, there are also teams like Vancouver (though they've since retooled) and Ottawa that have not. And getting a payoff on a contract like they signed Bolland to is one of the keys to success.

As for Chicago's situation, yeah they're going to lose a few players but they'll still be fine. Except for Brian Campbell, enough can't be said for what the hell were they thinking. It's not just that they've overpaid him by a significant amount but also how far down the depth chart he is in terms of importance. If you throw contracts away and look at his importance to the team, he's behind Toews, Kane, Keith, Seabrook, Havlat, Khabibulin, potentially Barker if he continues to improve, and somewhere between Sharp and Bolland. That makes him the 7th-10th best player on their roster, making $7.14M for the next 7 years!

RandV is offline   Reply With Quote