HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Gainey tried (again) to acquire Lecavalier

Old
06-29-2009, 11:15 PM
Ginoro

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by twi View Post
No offense to you, but I'll believe the quotes from those involved.
They didn't understand the reason as of why they weren't getting renewed but not fired...

"Les contrats des deux hommes ne seront pas renouvelés. Ils ont appris la nouvelle par téléphone."

The contracts of both mens aren't going to be renewed. They learned the news through the phone.
That's from ckac in Montreal.

Ginoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2009, 11:22 PM
CaptBrannigan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginoro View Post
They didn't understand the reason as of why they weren't getting renewed but not fired...

"Les contrats des deux hommes ne seront pas renouvelés. Ils ont appris la nouvelle par téléphone."

The contracts of both mens aren't going to be renewed. They learned the news through the phone.
That's from ckac in Montreal.
So I take it you would be fine and dandy with your boss calling you and telling you not to ever come back to work, and offering no reason?

There's no denying that it is far from a stand-up move. It dents the angelic Gainey myth perpetuated by some posters.

CaptBrannigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2009, 11:30 PM
Ginoro

http://www.ajc.com/blogs/content/sha...would_lov.html
Quote:
First some nuts and bolts. Lever hasn’t officially been contacted by the Thrashers other than some cursory e-mails between his agent and the team. He has one year left on his contract with Hamilton, but would be allowed to leave for an NHL head job. He’s very interested in this job and not just because he’s ready to be an NHL coach.
http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/stor...ens-coach.html
Quote:
Assistant coaches Kirk Muller and Don Lever, along with associate coach Doug Jarvis, remain under contract and will talk to Martin over the next few days. Gainey said the team has an option to retain Lever until June 15.

Honestly, I don't see what's wrong with being told that you're not coming back to work WHEN YOUR CONTRACT EXPIRES, if I sign a contract for 6 month with a business for any kind of work, why should I cry/complain if they let me go when the contract expires ? It was for 6 months and now it's over, I just have to get over it I guess, I don't need to be told why, it was planned from the beginning that maybe after these 6 months they wouldn't require my services anymore...

Ginoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2009, 11:49 PM
Drouin2Stamkos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginoro View Post
http://www.ajc.com/blogs/content/sha...would_lov.html

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/stor...ens-coach.html

Honestly, I don't see what's wrong with being told that you're not coming back to work WHEN YOUR CONTRACT EXPIRES, if I sign a contract for 6 month with a business for any kind of work, why should I cry/complain if they let me go when the contract expires ? It was for 6 months and now it's over, I just have to get over it I guess, I don't need to be told why, it was planned from the beginning that maybe after these 6 months they wouldn't require my services anymore...
Well when you get swept in the playoffs changes have to be made. That means asking coaches to leave or in your case that we dont want you back.

Drouin2Stamkos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2009, 11:52 PM
Garo

Quote:
So I take it you would be fine and dandy with your boss calling you and telling you not to ever come back to work, and offering no reason?
Yes when he told you weeks ago to find something elsewhere.

Garo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2009, 08:07 AM
The Fear Boners
Plz stop pucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by hototogisu View Post
What's ridiculous is that people actually believe this.

But then again BBM/whatever his name his now has proven he'll guzzle whatever Kool-Aid Tampa Bay ownership throws his way.
Hahah, you obviously don't know me very well, but okay. Keep denying what is staring you in the face.

The Fear Boners is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2009, 09:03 AM
Habsterix*
@Habsterix

Quote:
Gainey fired his minor league coaching staff, giving them no reason. He did it by phone. That is neither reputable, nor a sign of a "man of honor". Gainey's not the angel you describe.
As opposed to asking them to fly to Montreal to tell them? It's done more often than you think. Because it's in Montreal, it was publicized. Had it been in Tampa, no one would have given a rats' ass about it. Heck, the firing would barely make it to the news!

Quote:
If Gainey wasn't trying to deflect criticism of his team's crash and burn, then why even say anything? It was either that or he was trying to take a jab because he didn't get his deal. Again, neither reputable nor honorable.
Every year, he gives a post mortem of the season. Tradition you know? Hmmm... maybe you don't.

Habsterix* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2009, 09:14 AM
Going Back to Cally
Sons of Pirates

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asterix View Post
As opposed to asking them to fly to Montreal to tell them? It's done more often than you think. Because it's in Montreal, it was publicized. Had it been in Tampa, no one would have given a rats' ass about it. Heck, the firing would barely make it to the news!

What does your shot at Tampa Bay have to do with anything? Have to take shots at other fanbases to make you feel better about yourself?

Going Back to Cally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2009, 09:16 AM
MonacoBlue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
What does your shot at Tampa Bay have to do with anything? Have to take shots at other fanbases to make you feel better about yourself?
Actually, if it's true, then it's not really a "shot." So I guess the question is "does TB even notice if their minor league coaches are replaced?"

Teams replace their AHL affiliates on a whim, never mind what it does to the employees. Only in Montreal does firing a minor league coach make the news as being unclassy.

MonacoBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2009, 09:24 AM
Going Back to Cally
Sons of Pirates

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonacoBlue View Post
Actually, if it's true, then it's not really a "shot." So I guess the question is "does TB even notice if their minor league coaches are replaced?"

Teams replace their AHL affiliates on a whim, never mind what it does to the employees. Only in Montreal does firing a minor league coach make the news as being unclassy.
http://www.boltsmag.com/2006/04/17/graham-gone/

http://blogs.tampabay.com/lightning/...in-the-mi.html

http://blogs.tampabay.com/lightning/...-to-coach.html

Old
06-30-2009, 09:38 AM
MonacoBlue

Well, I expected a few people to notice, but what about major news outlets? Most of the fans?

Two of those links are to a blog (out of all things). Hell, this might not even be just a TB thing. If some of the teams changed their minor league affiliate or the coaches associated with the team, would anybody outside of hardcore fans notice? In Montreal, it's reported as news, and every aspect of it is picked apart. Not necessarily a good thing, but it does help give people ammo for whatever point they're trying to prove. Out of all the unclassy things people think Gainey did, I'm sure other GMs have much worse things but they managed to keep them hidden. Hey, Gomez, Drury and Redden must have something on Sather

Old
06-30-2009, 09:40 AM
Going Back to Cally
Sons of Pirates

Quote:
Well, I expected a few people to notice, but what about major news outlets? Most of the fans?

Two of those links are to a blog (out of all things). Hell, this might not even be just a TB thing. If some of the teams changed their minor league affiliate or the coaches associated with the team, would anybody outside of hardcore fans notice? In Montreal, it's reported as news, and every aspect of it is picked apart. Not necessarily a good thing, but it does help give people ammo for whatever point they're trying to prove. Out of all the unclassy things people think Gainey did, I'm sure other GMs have much worse things but they managed to keep them hidden. Hey, Gomez, Drury and Redden must have something on Sather
Two of the links are to the Blog of the St Petersburg Times, the major bay area newspaper (St. Petersburg Times Forum for example) and the other link if you click on it it redirects to the Tampa Tribune, the 2nd major bay area newspaper, the article from 2006 is not in their archives though.

Not just some fanblog.

Old
06-30-2009, 09:43 AM
Boltsfan2029

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asterix View Post
Actually, the opposite would probably hold true. We'd be accused of being unprofessional, sleazebags, etc. We are, after all, not only a small market team, we're a southern team. Anything we do is shameful, even if every other team in the league does it, too.

Boltsfan2029 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2009, 09:53 AM
MonacoBlue

Quote:
Two of the links are to the Blog of the St Petersburg Times, the major bay area newspaper (St. Petersburg Times Forum for example) and the other link if you click on it it redirects to the Tampa Tribune, the 2nd major bay area newspaper, the article from 2006 is not in their archives though.

Not just some fanblog.
Well, that's better, but it's still the blog. What about actual newspaper articles? In contrast, the Habs firing a minor league coach manages to become news on RDS, TSN, Sportsnet and whoever else needs a headline. They devote air time to it on TV, even on outlets that aren't traditionally sports outlets (like local news on CTV). The blog of a newspaper, which for the Habs would be Habs InsideOut, is just the tip of the iceberg.

Old
06-30-2009, 09:53 AM
JackieChan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobsled Gainey View Post
Hahah, you obviously don't know me very well, but okay. Keep denying what is staring you in the face.
Hahahaha wow, best avatar I've seen in a long time

JackieChan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2009, 09:59 AM
DrVanntastic

Quote:
Originally Posted by YzermanWings19 View Post
Let me see if I can translate.

The internet for the Canadian inverse Vincent Lecavalier is trying pork loin and stomping. At the hair salon, RDS appraises the raining sources in the NHL. Bob Gainey is a tent and met the main part of the journey on Blizzard island and halted and announced a transaction Friday for repaying.

Gainey travelled quietly minutes after the debut of the repayment for the transaction conclusion. Corn measured the final march.

Tommorrow at the hair salon, no sources are available, probably because of the Lightning Len Barrie refuses to change Lecavalier. Come and fit the case minus January.

Friday, Gainey allegedly quit the Bell Centre decorations but did not leave. He measured the conclusion of the march and grandly smelled the formation.

Rejoining RDS to comment on the information, the agent of Lecavalier, Kent Hughes indicated the Lightning were not in their pajamas and contacted the client to approve or not the transaction.

The direction the Lightning go tommorrow promises the Lecavalier clan certainly consulting pajamas in the formation of Tampa Bay available intently to change the bottom mitten and list equipment or halt the change.

The Canadian praised the allegations lancing at the Lightning and icing the premier Juliet. Though one clause did not change, and no movement to Ontario vigourously the contract is grand joyful center.

Rest the Lecavalier clan tonight indicated allies imposed and malfunctioned the Lightning to appraise the premier Juliet to equip the demands or quit Tampa.

I think that makes sense.
This alone is worth reading this thread. Well played.

DrVanntastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2009, 10:06 AM
Going Back to Cally
Sons of Pirates

Quote:
Well, that's better, but it's still the blog. What about actual newspaper articles? In contrast, the Habs firing a minor league coach manages to become news on RDS, TSN, Sportsnet and whoever else needs a headline. They devote air time to it on TV, even on outlets that aren't traditionally sports outlets (like local news on CTV). The blog of a newspaper, which for the Habs would be Habs InsideOut, is just the tip of the iceberg.
Tribune archives only go back to January and the Times you have to pay for but there were articles in both papers.

Obviously it doesn't compare to the Habs but it's not like nobody found out until October that Stirling was out and Rumble was in.

Old
06-30-2009, 10:08 AM
MonacoBlue

Quote:
Tribune archives only go back to January and the Times you have to pay for but there were articles in both papers.

Obviously it doesn't compare to the Habs but it's not like nobody found out until October that Stirling was out and Rumble was in.
Fair enough.