HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Nobody wants Heatley.

Old
06-29-2009, 11:14 PM
Anthrax Jones

vCash: 500
Heatley isn't going to fetch fair value unless Murray decides to chuck the season and deal with the nonstop distraction until the trade deadline, at which point he will be far more likely to get close to equal value for his player. Heatley put that franchise in a really bad spot, which is twice now in his career he's done that. The first time is almost excusable. This time is not. I don't blame other GMs for being wary.

Anthrax Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2009, 11:24 PM
Retail1LO

Send a message via ICQ to Retail1LO Send a message via AIM to Retail1LO Send a message via MSN to Retail1LO
I know there are some that assume if he gets stuck in Ottawa he'll play his ass off because he wants to play in the Olympics. Honestly though...I don't care how well he plays...there's still a chance this nonsense gets him excluded from being selected.

Retail1LO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2009, 11:52 PM
smackdaddy
Hall-RNH-Eberle

I find it hilarious that all these GM's have sympathy for Murray about Heatley going public, but were nowhere to be found except throwing offers for a superior player in Pronger a few years back when he went public.

Where was the support back then?
Unfortunately, the sympathy works against Murray at this point, as all it does it keep bringing the problem to the forefront. Either that or Lowe just didn't get any respect. Must be why he went out in style, with offer sheets blazin'!

smackdaddy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2009, 12:05 AM
aaaaaaassssssssd

I remember when the Ottawa fans were so certain that SO many teams wanted Heatley.

Turns out I was right and nobody wants a cancer of epic perportions.

aaaaaaassssssssd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2009, 06:41 AM
miser

The problem with the Healtey situation is that the length of his contract, which would normally be an attribute (i.e the player is locked up for a good long while), is diminished dramatically when he won't live up to it. The question in every GMs mind has to be what's to stop him from quitting on me too? Atlanta treated him well during his problems as did the Sens, yet something else is still bothering the little diva.
Unlike most people, I believe that there must be more "unsaid" about what's going on - perhaps a personal matter? Who knows, maybe he has his "knickers in a twist" over the replacement of Mlakar?

miser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2009, 06:48 AM
Drake1588
UNATCO

Quote:
Originally Posted by smackdaddy View Post
I find it hilarious that all these GM's have sympathy for Murray about Heatley going public, but were nowhere to be found except throwing offers for a superior player in Pronger a few years back when he went public.

Where was the support back then?
Unfortunately, the sympathy works against Murray at this point, as all it does it keep bringing the problem to the forefront. Either that or Lowe just didn't get any respect. Must be why he went out in style, with offer sheets blazin'!
The difference is that Heatley is coming off a sub-par year. Pronger had just been to the Finals, and was easily one of his team's best players during that playoff run. It's hypocritical, but the reason is how much GMs and fans valued Pronger then vice Heatley today.

It isn't helping that Heatley didn't just put up 50-50-100 numbers. If he had, the line of suitors would be out the door. Last four seasons: 39-33-72, 41-41-82, 50-55-105, and 50-53-103. His numbers have declined as his salary has escalated.

At the time of Pronger's trade, his value was very high. Heatley is seeking a trade, and publicly, at a time when his production is way off its levels of two years ago, worse last year than the year before.

Drake1588 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2009, 07:08 AM
JussiHikka

I wouldn't want a felon on my team, either.

:nosarcasm:

JussiHikka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2009, 07:39 AM
GetPucksDeep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwight View Post
I remember when the Ottawa fans were so certain that SO many teams wanted Heatley.

QFT

Darren Elliot made the following comments (paraphrased) during the Thrashers draft. -

During the lockout - Heatley wanted out of his euro contract.

Then he wanted out Atlanta.

Now he wants out of Ottawa.

Eventually, people are realizing the problem is Heatley.

Why take on a player, who in a few years wants out of your town?

my take - he's a malcontent. Any team would be stupid to take him on at these prices.

GetPucksDeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2009, 07:47 AM
HSF

some teams will come knocking aftr they miss out of Hossa and Gaborik

HSF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2009, 07:50 AM
I Hate Chris Butler
Backlund Fan Club

vCash: 50
Everyone wants Heatley; no one wants to give up what is being asked.

I Hate Chris Butler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2009, 07:59 AM
Heavy Fuel

All things considered, wouldn't the Sens best be served by bringing in this guy to resolve the Heatley situation:

A little coach counselling could solve the problem!

Heavy Fuel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2009, 08:26 AM
Pascal

Heatley is a moron. He just had to speak up about it.. way to screw your team over.

Pascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2009, 08:33 AM
Caseus
squirrelly wrath

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwight View Post

Way to jump the gun there, bud.

It's the day before the free agent frenzy. Teams who need a first line winger will be praying they can sign Hossa or Gaborik. If they can't they'll find Heatley to be a much more appealing option.

If Heatley isn't traded by this time next week, you are welcome to say you were right and we were wrong.

Caseus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2009, 08:36 AM
Kamina
Amok

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retail1LO View Post
If Heatley wanted to...he could flounder around in Ottawa for the duration of his contract, and retire a very young, filthy rich, former locker room cancer that once requested a trade and never got it.
Bye Olympics.

Anyway, as others said, more offers will come in at or after July 1st, after teams miss out on free agents.

If not, I'm perfectly content with Heatley playing for us. If he doesn't step it up, no one will trade for him.

Kamina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2009, 10:49 AM
captainpaxil

maybe its just the fact that 7.5 mil is alot of cash to move. no matter how good he is(and hes great) he makes alot of money. i think the sens may have to take back considerable salary to make a heatley deal work. hes also going to be the best player in the deal.

captainpaxil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2009, 10:53 AM
Levitate

Quote:
Originally Posted by C For Choke View Post
Everyone wants Heatley; no one wants to give up what is being asked.
Yup, pretty much true. You have a guy who's quitting on his team, went public with his trade demands and screwed over his GM by doing so, who's point totals have declined over the past several years, and who makes a whole lot of money on a long contract.

Gee I wonder why no one wants to give Ottawa their blue chip prospects and top line players in return.

Maybe I'm wrong and that will change after the $4 mill variable is off the table, but there's a whole lot of negative about Heatley right now.

Levitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2009, 10:57 AM
Dick Whitman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stealth JD View Post
yep....nobody wants to trade the assets in terms of personnel...then pay $7.5M in real dollars. That's a steep, steep price.

Ottawa is going to have to give him away if they want him off the team, because nobody is dumb enough to pay the price in terms of assets and dollars.
No one is dumb enough to agree with your ridiculous logic. No one.

Dick Whitman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2009, 11:02 AM
Retail1LO

Send a message via ICQ to Retail1LO Send a message via AIM to Retail1LO Send a message via MSN to Retail1LO
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiphopopotamus View Post
No one is dumb enough to agree with your ridiculous logic. No one.
It's not ridiculous logic.

What team...is just itching to go out and pick up 7.5 million dollar free agent, whose production has declined the last two years, whines like a little b**th with a skinned knee, AND have to give up assets (picks/prospects/good roster players) on top of taking that kinda cap hit, and taking a risk on that kinda character?

Peach Heatley. That's this kids new name. Such a peach.

Old
06-30-2009, 11:02 AM
Jaysfanatic*
BJ Elitist/Hipster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beukeboom Fan View Post
Assuming that Heatley will consider playing for that team, they can afford the $7.5M long term and still resign their own core players, and they have a ton of young proven NHL talent that OTT is looking for.

Can anyone think of a trade that had as much talent as OTT is apparently asking for? The only one I can think of is the Tkachuk deal to STL when they sent Handzus, Taffe, Nagy & 1st rounder. Anyone else come up with a bigger package for one forward?
Forsberg, Ricci, Hextall, Huffman, Simon, Duschene, two 1sts and cash for Lindros.

Jaysfanatic* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2009, 11:05 AM
Bumjoo Wang*

When every free agent avoids Edmonton like the plague, I'm sure the Oilers are going to get desperate by the end of the summer to add some talent to their team.

Bumjoo Wang* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2009, 11:06 AM
Retail1LO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devilsfanatic View Post
Forsberg, Ricci, Hextall, Huffman, Simon, Duschene, two 1sts and cash for Lindros.
Winner winner, chicken dinner. And one of those firsts turned into Jocelyn Thibault, who then got flipped for Patrick Roy.

Old
06-30-2009, 11:07 AM
NFINITEone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamina View Post
Bye Olympics.

Anyway, as others said, more offers will come in at or after July 1st, after teams miss out on free agents.

If not, I'm perfectly content with Heatley playing for us. If he doesn't step it up, no one will trade for him.
On TSN, Steve Yzerman has already stated that Heatley's trade request has absolutely no affect on him playing in the Olympics.

NFINITEone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2009, 11:13 AM
heatley_fan*

Quote:
Originally Posted by NFINITEone View Post
On TSN, Steve Yzerman has already stated that Heatley's trade request has absolutely no affect on him playing in the Olympics.
Yes but if he refuses to come to camp, I think that will definitely have an effect with Yzerman

heatley_fan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2009, 11:16 AM
Retail1LO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamina View Post
Bye Olympics.

If he doesn't step it up...you better be content with an underperforming 7.5 million dollar guy on your roster...instead of freeing up cap space to sign other contributors, and getting some picks/prospects.

Old
06-30-2009, 11:21 AM
Flapjack*

I have stated all along that Heatleys value is little with that contract.

Once again, I have been proven correct.

Flapjack* is offline   Reply With Quote