HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Pick #81 - Adam Morrison - G - Saskatoon (WHL)

Old
06-30-2009, 06:11 AM
Giroux tha Damaja

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Giroux tha Damaja
Quote:
Originally Posted by captainpaxil View Post
its a risky pick. i would have probably gone with one of the better known guys on the board.
I think if you had put the resources into scouting thatthe Flyers do, and looked at the info they brought back to you, your take on who's the best pick might differ. At the goalie position, when you're looking at a prospect, you look for ceiling first and foremost. If you could draft two forwards, and one would be a guaranteed 2nd line player, and the other would bust 95% of the time and be an all star 5%, you probably take the 2nd liner. With goalies you take the all star.

When you draft a forward, and you expect them to become a first liner, but instead they only pan out to be third line material, that player is still useful to you. With a goalie, if you draft them and they develop comparably to the last example, he's useless to you at an NHL level. He has developed into an AHL back-up.

They probably looked at Roy and saw a goalie who most definitely develop into a decent back up or AHL starter, but not an NHL starter. They probably looked at Morrison and thought he had more of a chance to become an NHL starter than Roy, and probably more of a chance to bust totally as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by captainpaxil View Post

A "best american goalie" is an easier sell as the top prospect you take away from the draft as oposed to an obscure backup.

B selling this kid as the future of the franchise is going to be hard.

C with limited picks next year our chance at getting a goalie of the quality that was passed over is negligible.
A I would hope how he is going to sell each pick to the fans is not a big consideration to Holmgren when he is drafting. I just want him and the scouting staff making the best picks they can.

B There are three, maybe four guys not currently starters in the NHL right now that I think it is safe to say could be the future of a franchise (and all of them have played an NHL game). Morrison is what every single goalie prospects is at his age, just a gamble.

C I don't think the Flyers need to draft a goalie every year, and we don't know how good the goalies that we chose to select Morrison over even are yet. We won't know for a long time.

Last edited by Giroux tha Damaja: 06-30-2009 at 06:16 AM.
Giroux tha Damaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2009, 09:47 AM
Larry44

Quote:
Originally Posted by I am The Mush View Post
I think if you had put the resources into scouting thatthe Flyers do, and looked at the info they brought back to you, your take on who's the best pick might differ. At the goalie position, when you're looking at a prospect, you look for ceiling first and foremost. If you could draft two forwards, and one would be a guaranteed 2nd line player, and the other would bust 95% of the time and be an all star 5%, you probably take the 2nd liner. With goalies you take the all star.

When you draft a forward, and you expect them to become a first liner, but instead they only pan out to be third line material, that player is still useful to you. With a goalie, if you draft them and they develop comparably to the last example, he's useless to you at an NHL level. He has developed into an AHL back-up.

They probably looked at Roy and saw a goalie who most definitely develop into a decent back up or AHL starter, but not an NHL starter. They probably looked at Morrison and thought he had more of a chance to become an NHL starter than Roy, and probably more of a chance to bust totally as well.

A I would hope how he is going to sell each pick to the fans is not a big consideration to Holmgren when he is drafting. I just want him and the scouting staff making the best picks they can.
Thank you. The Flyers don't need to 'sell' the kid as the future of the franchise coming out of the draft. Ridiculous really to even think that.

Morrison might not have played a lot, but people know who he is. Hockey Canada invited him to their development camp.

People out west who followed AAA Midget would've known him since he was 8 years old. The scouts who signed him into the WHL knew him. Neil Little scouted him, Mark Greig is in western Canada and John Chapman's from there too.

Just as we 'know' who the top prospects are by reading websites like this and watching games, the Flyer scouts can find out a lot more info about kids who may have been buried by a vet goalie or a deep roster.

I don't know Morrison from Adam, but if the consensus of the Flyer scouts was that he was more of a priority than Bertilsson, who is more well-known, and other goalies who slipped to the last round I trust they made their best decision based on their extensive work.

I hope they hit a home run....

Larry44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2009, 09:53 AM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

vCash: 2473
Some quotes from Morrison and a related article:

http://www.thestarphoenix.com/Sports...334/story.html

Quote:
"I was in shock. I couldn't believe I'd gone so high and I didn't know what to say," Morrison, who hails from Surrey, B.C., said Saturday afternoon after digesting the news. "I jumped out of bed, ran into the TV room, turned on the TV and there it was."
Quote:
"My work ethic in practice," said Morrison, who is the Blades' likely starter heading into next season. "I wasn't given a lot of games, but I'd imagine (Blades' coach and general manager Lorne Molleken) passed on the message and (scouts) probably came and watched. Every single day, I tried to get better by challenging each of my teammates to get better. I think that was a big part of my success."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KfFzODoD7YY
MiamiScreamingEagles is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2009, 12:03 PM
Jim Schennson
Bros.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry44 View Post

I don't know Morrison from Adam, but if the consensus of the Flyer scouts was that he was more of a priority than Bertilsson, who is more well-known, and other goalies who slipped to the last round I trust they made their best decision based on their extensive work.

I hope they hit a home run....
Yeah, that definitely says something, that with two picks at #81 and #87, they picked Morrison first, and made him the priority. He most likely would have been there at #87, and there was a better chance that Bertilsson wouldn't have been, but they made sure that they got "their" guy ASAP.

Jim Schennson is offline   Reply With Quote