HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

First Round Pick Zack Kassian RW

Old
06-29-2009, 01:25 PM
Luceni

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zip15 View Post
I'd so move MacArthur into Hecht's spot and slide the other two left wings down one line.

Josh, I'm with you, I think Kaleta has some untapped offensive potential and with the right center can score 10+ goals this year. That said, I'm not ready to hand him that spot quite yet.
I wouldn't extend the contract with CMac, I'd rather see him leaving the sabres. With Kennedy and Gerbe, we've got two solid rookies. I expect one of them getting a full time roster spot, next year.

But I agree on your opinion about Kaleta. I can see him scoring 10 + goals too, but Kaleta will never be a top 6 Player. This is the difference between Kaleta and Kassian, because Kassian has much more offensively talent than Pat.

Luceni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2009, 01:27 PM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by joshjull View Post
Comments from Regier on WGR this morning in terms of a comparison between Bertuzzi and Kassian.

For starters he stated his standard reply that he hates player comparisons (Chain is that you?). But then added he was there (on the Island) when Bert was drafted.

He feels Kassian is tougher than Bert but Bert had better hands.
Bert was a big floater in the OHL though -- I hated him with the Storm and I was up there a lot at that time.

Kassian puts in a lot more effort night to night.

And yes, I'm really Darcy Regier.

06-29-2009, 01:32 PM
BackGroundMusic
rebuildingeverywhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainshot View Post
Dude, get me a job. I'll scout around or whatever.

BackGroundMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2009, 02:38 PM
Jame
Dream '16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luceni View Post
I wouldn't extend the contract with CMac, I'd rather see him leaving the sabres. With Kennedy and Gerbe, we've got two solid rookies. I expect one of them getting a full time roster spot, next year.

But I agree on your opinion about Kaleta. I can see him scoring 10 + goals too, but Kaleta will never be a top 6 Player. This is the difference between Kaleta and Kassian, because Kassian has much more offensively talent than Pat.
Why would we move on from MacArthur for 2 kids who have proved nothing in the NHL ?

MacArthur is hopefully going into the "pommer" years, Id like to lock him up to a 2-3 year deal averaging around 1.3ish... and then get 20+ goal production for a few years on the cheap.

Jame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2009, 03:54 PM
joshjull

Quote:
Bert was a big floater in the OHL though -- I hated him with the Storm and I was up there a lot at that time.

Kassian puts in a lot more effort night to night.

and at times that was a knock on him in the NHL.

I just forget sometimes about Regier's time on the Island. Thats what caught my attention.

Last edited by joshjull: 06-29-2009 at 05:42 PM.
joshjull is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2009, 05:38 PM
joechip

Send a message via Yahoo to joechip
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffaloed View Post
ISS considers him the most physically ready player in this draft. He has an excellent shot at playing for the Sabres next season. The scouts have nothing but good things to say about him. See http://www.andrewsstarspage.com/inde...ssian_profile/
What just popped into my head was if he's that ready to play at this level, how much pressure does taht put on Stafford to bring it every friggin' night?

If he's that ready, we may just be really happily surprised by his effect on the team. If he has a good set of camps, getting him a few games of NHL experience might be a good idea to see how he handles it.

Ta,

joechip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2009, 06:16 PM
Freezerburn

Realistically, would Kassian make the team though? They aren't exactly known for rushing their young players into the lineup fresh out of the draft. Darcy's MO has always appeared as the cautious 'proper' developmental route.

Freezerburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2009, 06:21 PM
Bob Clarke Fan Club

Great pick for you guys. I was hoping we could trade up for a crack at him.

Bob Clarke Fan Club is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2009, 11:30 PM
cybresabre
Zemgus!

vCash: 723
Send a message via ICQ to cybresabre
Penalty Summary from http://bryanbryoil.blogspot.com/2009...k-kassian.html
Quote:

9 Lazy/Speed Related Penalties
2 Interference
1 hooking
3 tripping
2 holding
1 holding the stick

10 Boys Will Be Boys Penalties
3 unsportsmanlikes
2 game misconducts
3 10 minute misconducts
1 diving
1 Illegal stick

5 "Normal" Hockey Penalties
3 high sticking
2 goaltender interference

26 Physical Penalties

5 roughing
12 fighting
1 instigator
2 boarding
1 charging
2 crosschecking
1 elbowing
2 checking to the head

cybresabre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2009, 06:37 AM
HarriSateri

The more I think about it, the more I start to love this pick even though I was obviously one of the most skeptical of him here leading up to the draft.

HarriSateri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2009, 07:41 AM
Luceni

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jame View Post
Why would we move on from MacArthur for 2 kids who have proved nothing in the NHL ?

MacArthur is hopefully going into the "pommer" years, Id like to lock him up to a 2-3 year deal averaging around 1.3ish... and then get 20+ goal production for a few years on the cheap.
Because I don't want to give someone a top 6 spot who has shown nothing impressive so far. We know what we get in MacArthur and that's simply not a top 6 Player so I'd move him and give his spot into one of our young, talented forwards.

Clarke got his chance, but he didn't use it, imo.

He isn't a bottom 6 Player but he also di nothing impressive on his top 6 spot last year. Hes nearly as much scorer points than Paille. The difference between them is that Clarke was Playing on the top 6 the most time of the year, while Paille was a bottom 6 Player.

I wouldn't give Clarke a new contract, I'd rsther see what Gerbe can do on the second line. And if Gerbe sucks, we can always put Paille onto that spot. The first 6 games last year he's shown, that he could be a useful top 6 player.

Luceni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2009, 07:53 AM
Old Navy Goat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luceni View Post
Because I don't want to give someone a top 6 spot who has shown nothing impressive so far. We know what we get in MacArthur and that's simply not a top 6 Player so I'd move him and give his spot into one of our young, talented forwards.

Clarke got his chance, but he didn't use it, imo.

He isn't a bottom 6 Player but he also di nothing impressive on his top 6 spot last year. Hes nearly as much scorer points than Paille. The difference between them is that Clarke was Playing on the top 6 the most time of the year, while Paille was a bottom 6 Player.

I wouldn't give Clarke a new contract, I'd rsther see what Gerbe can do on the second line. And if Gerbe sucks, we can always put Paille onto that spot. The first 6 games last year he's shown, that he could be a useful top 6 player.
I don't understand your hatred for CMac and the constant pimping of Paille. Both have had similar chances to perform and last year Paille decided he didn't want to play. CMac has outperformed him at every level of competition so don't let the 1st round monnikor fool you. As for Gerbe, he did absolutely nothing as a top 6 forward last year...he showed that his size really hampered him so unless he gained 5 inches and 30lbs in the off-season I would imagine that his size would continue to prove detrimental.

Old Navy Goat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2009, 10:09 AM
YoGman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Navy Goat View Post
I don't understand your hatred for CMac and the constant pimping of Paille. Both have had similar chances to perform and last year Paille decided he didn't want to play. CMac has outperformed him at every level of competition so don't let the 1st round monnikor fool you. As for Gerbe, he did absolutely nothing as a top 6 forward last year...he showed that his size really hampered him so unless he gained 5 inches and 30lbs in the off-season I would imagine that his size would continue to prove detrimental.
Pailles' self pity was very discouraging last year. I had high hopes for him turning into a Peca lite. Forget that notion. Personally, Paille was the was the biggest dissappointment last year.
Gerbe was overwhelmed and looked like a lost child last year. Willing to give him some slack and I know he has the desire to better himself. He has done nothing else in his life but perservere.
CMac....still undecided. Has flashes of potential and is more consistent than Paille. Has the offensive threat, but defense suspect.

YoGman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2009, 11:41 AM
Devo-2

Interesting article in the Boston Globe on the much talked about Boston/Toronto deal that never happened:

Quote:
Kessel stays put for now
Bruins’ trade was lost in translation
By Kevin Paul Dupont

A swap of players. A swap of first-round picks. Deal done. Or so the Bruins believed. So much so, said one source, that they planned to select hard-rock winger Zack Kassian with the No. 7 pick.

The Sabres, with the No. 13 pick, grabbed Kassian, who quickly could become Buffalo’s counterpunch, literally, to Boston’s Milan Lucic. The 6-foot-3-inch, 210-pound Kassian and the hulking Lucic, by all reports, are cut from the same bolt of canvas.
http://www.boston.com/sports/hockey/...lation/?page=1

Devo-2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2009, 11:48 AM
joshjull

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devo-2 View Post
Interesting article in the Boston Globe on the much talked about Boston/Toronto deal that never happened:

http://www.boston.com/sports/hockey/...lation/?page=1
Thanks for the link.

After reading the article it sure seems like the Bruins are more than willing to lose Kessel.

Old
06-30-2009, 11:53 AM
jBuds
pretty damn valuable

Quote:
Thanks for the link.

After reading the article it sure seems like the Bruins are more than willing to lose Kessel.
The kid is a 22 year old 30+ goal scorer, and they're not doing everything in their power to retain him. There's definitely more to the situation than price, and it's no secret Boston has no reservation giving Kessel up.

I wonder why.
Posted via Mobile Device

jBuds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2009, 12:00 PM
joshjull

Quote:
Originally Posted by jBuds View Post
The kid is a 22 year old 30+ goal scorer, and they're not doing everything in their power to retain him. There's definitely more to the situation than price, and it's no secret Boston has no reservation giving Kessel up.

I wonder why.
Posted via Mobile Device
I think its mostly price since the article points out they want him at Krejci money. But it seems as though Kessel's camp wants 5mil or more per.

I agree with the Bruins take on this. I think its a bad move to have lots of money tied up in a one dimensional goal scoring winger.

Old
06-30-2009, 12:04 PM
Freezerburn

Quote:

I wonder why.
Posted via Mobile Device
After reading 'Future Greats and Heartbreaks' by Gare Joyce it was made pretty clear that lots of people in and around the league have significant reservations about Kessel's character and personality. That could have something to do with it.

Freezerburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2009, 12:55 PM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:
Thanks for the link.

After reading that, they might be a destination for Hank.

Chainshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2009, 12:57 PM
WhoIsJimBob
Circle the Bandwagon

Quote:
After reading that, they might be a destination for Hank.
Hank for Kessel?

Git er done, Darcy!

WhoIsJimBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2009, 01:08 PM
jBuds
pretty damn valuable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bob View Post
Hank for Kessel?

Git er done, Darcy!

I prefer shipping Hank out of the conference, personally.
Posted via Mobile Device

jBuds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2009, 01:15 PM
BackGroundMusic
rebuildingeverywhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by cybresabre View Post
Really interesting breakdown. I LOL'd at him having not one but two goaltender interference penalties. I can't remember the last time a Sabres player was close enough to the goalie to get one of those.

BackGroundMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2009, 01:15 PM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Swing back to the topic at hand -- it is nice to see a team that knows a few things about big, aggressive players wanting to land Kassian. Speaks well of him.

Chainshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2009, 01:30 PM
struckbyaparkedcar
Zemgus Da Gawd

Quote:
I prefer shipping Hank out of the conference, personally.
Posted via Mobile Device
Although not out of the conference, Tampa would prolly have a use for him.

struckbyaparkedcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2009, 12:00 AM
glassjaw*

Quote:
Originally Posted by BikeGiftingMan View Post
Really interesting breakdown. I LOL'd at him having not one but two goaltender interference penalties. I can't remember the last time a Sabres player was close enough to the goalie to get one of those.
Vanek, but I get what you're saying. We finally have a guy that will answer the bell if Miller gets ran over.

glassjaw* is offline   Reply With Quote