HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Next Deadline - Qualifying Offers to RFA's

Old
06-30-2009, 12:00 AM
Lard_Lad

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ubiquitous View Post
Someone else was saying in another thread, I think about Eminger, that they wanted him back, but not at that cap hit.

I might be mistaken, but I think they wanted to redo his deal.
But how much cap space can they really save? He's a credible veteran 5-6 guy, so he's not going to sign somewhere for much less than a million. Seems odd that they'd take a chance on losing him just to potentially get a couple hundred thousand in cap room.

Lard_Lad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2009, 12:26 AM
black ace

I might take a look at Christenson depending on his injuries.

black ace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2009, 12:31 AM
Mr. Canucklehead
Mod Supervisor
Kitimat Canuck

Eminger would be a decent 7th-man guy as he seems versatile enough to play in a few different situations. I was never high on Stewart, but if his salary were manageable, I'd give him a look to see if we couldn't make him into the player some thought he could be.

~Canucklehead~

Mr. Canucklehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2009, 12:34 AM
Barney Gumble

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Canucklehead View Post
Eminger would be a decent 7th-man guy as he seems versatile enough to play in a few different situations. I was never high on Stewart, but if his salary were manageable, I'd give him a look to see if we couldn't make him into the player some thought he could be.

~Canucklehead~
I wouldn't have a problem with a two-way deal. At worst, the Moose get a "big body".

Barney Gumble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2009, 12:45 AM
defensive

Do any of you see any major RFAs going to free agency? The fact that Detroit is tight on cap space means either Hudler (RFA) or Hossa is gone. So much for Hossa going back to the Wings.

defensive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2009, 12:56 AM
timw33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Canucklehead View Post

~Canucklehead~
We wouldn't even be talking about this guy if he didn't have a good WJC back in 04'

timw33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2009, 01:08 AM
Mr. Canucklehead
Mod Supervisor
Kitimat Canuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by timw33 View Post
We wouldn't even be talking about this guy if he didn't have a good WJC back in 04'
Eminger or Stewart?

I don't even really recall Stewart's WJC performances. But he was a highly regarded prospect, is still a big body with good wheels who is relatively young, he could become somewhat of a useful player at the NHL level. Or maybe just the AHL level.

~Canucklehead~

Mr. Canucklehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2009, 01:13 AM
orcatown

As this site below reminds us I can remember having big arguments with some posters (who will go unidentified ) defending Kesler's selection over Stewart.

Think that argument is over now. Ultimately Stewart had no clue how to play without the puck. That was evident early and confirmed over time.

http://canucksrepublic.com/contribut...ft-day-memory/

Canucks need to build from within and avoid the kind of bargain basement hunting Nonis indulged in.

orcatown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2009, 01:25 AM
MS

Quote:
Originally Posted by orcatown View Post
Canucks need to build from within and avoid the kind of bargain basement hunting Nonis indulged in.
Anyone advocating signing a guy like Stewart is doing so on the premise that it would be a two-way deal. Not the Nonis-esque signing of garbage players like Isbister and Ritchie to one-way deals.

We need to add bodies.

Ohlund, Vaananen, Davison, and Baumgartner are UFAs. We traded Heshka. We probably aren't going to qualify Fitzgerald and McIver. And on top of that, we won't have two Dallas prospects (Fortunus and Fistric) playing regularly for that club next year. Outside of replacing Ohlund, that's a lot of other organizational positions that need to be filled on the blueline.

Same thing up front, where Krog, Jaffray, Oullette, and Cullen are all UFAs and Grabner stands a strong shot of making our NHL team. We need some quality AHL bodies to fill out that roster and serve as injury callups.

Guess what? We're going to see a lot of 'bargain basement' players signed to fill those holes this summer.

Stewart would be an ideal guy to fill out one of those spots because if he improves he has the skillset to help address an organizational need (big, aggressive forwards). If not, he's a solid Moose player and an NHL callup with some experience.

MS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2009, 01:27 AM
BedBeats

The Province have been reporting that Montreal will be interested in the Twins.

Gainey is looking for a center, and is looking at Hank and Danny.

Im sure its all, like most reports, total speculation.

BedBeats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2009, 02:22 AM
timorousme
luongod

I wouldn't mind going after a guy like stewart at all

timorousme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2009, 02:34 AM
orcatown

In 105 NHL games Stewart has 4 goals and 8 assists. At the same stage of his career Isbister had 53 goals in the NHL. Both players are about the same size and have the same degree of physicality. In those 105 games, Stewart has 34 minutes in penalties.

I'm no big fan of Isbister but he has demonstrated far more NHL potential than Stewart. If Isbister was a garbage pickup I don't see how Stewart is any different.

If we are looking around for players to play with the Moose then I guess it is marginally ok. However, even his minor League stats are pretty pathetic. At this point, players like Desbien have totally outplayed Stewart and I'm not sure that using up time on the farm for a player like Stewart really is in the best interest of the organization. Also, you have the problem of using up contract space. I believe there are far better options if you just looking to get players for the Moose. And, at this point, Stewart should not even be given consideration for the Canucks. If so. we are in a heap of trouble.

Given his play I can't understand why anyone is hot to get Stewart. Just shows that 1st round picks get repeated second chances.

Old
06-30-2009, 02:34 AM
aaaaaaassssssssd

Quote:
Originally Posted by BedBeats View Post
The Province have been reporting that Montreal will be interested in the Twins.

Gainey is looking for a center, and is looking at Hank and Danny.

Im sure its all, like most reports, total speculation.
I'm pretty sure Mr.Burke will have something to say about that.

And since the unfortunate events at the draft I'm sure he'll get what he wants on July 1.

aaaaaaassssssssd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2009, 03:15 AM
Barney Gumble

Quote:
I'm no big fan of Isbister but he has demonstrated far more NHL potential than Stewart. If Isbister was a garbage pickup I don't see how Stewart is any different.
One-way deal vs two-way deal. Further, he'd have to win himself a spot in the lineup; failing that, Moose bound. Isbister, on the other hand, had a spot in the lineup by default. What was garbage about the Isbister signing was that he was given a one-way deal.

Barney Gumble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2009, 03:17 AM
MS

Quote:
In 105 NHL games Stewart has 4 goals and 8 assists. At the same stage of his career Isbister had 53 goals in the NHL. Both players are about the same size and have the same degree of physicality. In those 105 games, Stewart has 34 minutes in penalties.

If we are looking around for players to play with the Moose then I guess it is marginally ok. However, even his minor League stats are pretty pathetic. At this point, players like Desbien have totally outplayed Stewart and I'm not sure that using up time on the farm for a player like Stewart really is in the best interest of the organization. Also, you have the problem of using up contract space. I believe there are far better options if you just looking to get players for the Moose. And, at this point, Stewart should not even be given consideration for the Canucks. If so. we are in a heap of trouble.

Given his play I can't understand why anyone is hot to get Stewart. Just shows that 1st round picks get repeated second chances.
Reading much into stats there?

His offense is never going to develop. However, at this point he has shown that he is good enough to spend an entire season on an NHL roster, which should obviously mean he would be a good Moose signing.

Crappy numbers or not, you don't spend an entire season on the roster of a good coach like Jacques Martin if you don't bring something to the table.

And he does - he skates well, plays a physical game without taking penalties, and will drop the gloves.

And for the record, I am definitely not 'hot to get Stewart', just feel that he's the sort of signing we should be looking at to fill the 13-18 spots on the depth chart up front. Brian Boyle would have been another guy worth looking at. As much as some people here are over-reacting on the size thing, we do need to add some size/grit to the organization.

And Brad Isbister would have been a fine signing if he had been signed to a 2-way deal to be the #14 forward in the organization ... actually, he had a few good games here and would have been quite a handy callup to have. The issue was that he was signed to a one-way deal to be inside our top 12 guys, essentially to fill the roster spot occupied by Jan Bulis the previous year.

Again, given how few prospects we have signed right now, we're going to have to sign at least 7-8 good AHL players this summer to fill out the Moose roster. Contract space isn't an issue. I'm sure one or two Moose UFAs (Baumgartner probably being the likeliest) will be re-signed, but we have to find a bunch of new depth players from somewhere.

MS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2009, 07:49 AM
orcatown

1. You use stats all the time to justify your position. 4 goals in 105 game is very telling and important factor here. Stewart came into the league based on the idea he was an offensive force. Thus goals scored is a huge statistic in assessing him.

2. Stewart is just another Justin Morrison. He has the one move of going wide off the wing . Once that was taken away from him at the pro level he had little else. He is not good defensively nor are his passing skills well developed. There is little that is good about his game. He has size but only occasionally uses it. Often he is very passive. Right now he is definitely minor pro material at best. I bet that, even though Morrison was far from NHL material, he would have better stats than Stewart. I wouldn't want Morrison and don't want Stewart. Honestly what has Stewart done?

3. Moose are not all that devoid of forwards. They have Desbiens, Blizank, Keene, Rallo, Maxwell, probably Grabner, LaBrie, Walsky, Pope, Collins, Bolduc, Gendur, maybe Shirokov, and players like Derlago and Labelle possibily moving up. Also people like Krog and Jaffray might well be back and, no doubt, Heisinger will bring in more players. There is no desperate need to go get very iffy players like Stewart. He has not been an enforcer before and it is actually out of character for him. Also, if we have more players on Moose contracts it saves having to put them on Canuck contracts.

4, You only have so many contracts. if you want to look at players on a two way I would look much more at players like McCormick, Olvecky or Fritsche or others of the that ilk. Indeed, I hope the Canucks pursue local boy McCormick. If you are looking for legitimate toughness and competiveness you will get la lot more out of him than you will Stewart. (there are times when Stewart drops mentally right out of game) I say that a McCormick contract is a good two way contract but again the Canucks have to be careful how many contracts they sign. If Stewart wanted to sign a contract with the Moose I would have no problems with that.

5. Argument about about the uselessness of Isbister was based not on the signing but on the player - he was garbage player you said. Well so then is Stewart. Every way you measure it, Stewart has been a lesser player than Isbister. So why would we want to sign a garbage player??? If you want to switch it to 'the signing was bad' I would only go on to say that the signing of Stewart is also misguided and two wrongs don't make a right. Beyond that Isbister was off to Europe without a one way (and I knows that doesn't justify the contract) and likely Stewart will head for Europe if he gets only gets a two way. So the whole thing is probably moot.

6. The chances of Stewart helping the Canucks are very small. It is not like you have some one in the bull pen that you know is going to help you at the NHL level. That is not his track record. He makes huge mistakes in coverage and contributes very little offense. A player like Jaffray would be a better bet. Also players like McCormick are much better players to have in that capacity.

I would say there are better two way deals out there, Stewart has not shown he is any kind of prospect, and that team is better to follow through with the young guys they have bought in and groomed rather than bringing in more failed players (which might disrupt the development process) and that, with the limitation on contracts you don't take flyers on people like Stewart. I have seen nothing out of Stewart that suggests he is any kind of NHL prospect and I think the Canucks should be looking to put people on two ways that have shown more promise than Stewart.

All in all, I again don't understand the enthusiasm for this player.

Old
06-30-2009, 08:56 AM
Jesus Quintana*

I just saw that Travis Zajac is an RFA - I can totally see Gillis pushing an offer sheet on this guy - he fits his mold of the undervalued player - the guy that is in the 15-20 goal range, young, big, fast. Add to the fact he played junior in BC.

Watch for this - my prediction.

Jesus Quintana* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2009, 09:00 AM
Pascha

Zajac? Yes please!

Pascha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2009, 09:26 AM
LickTheEnvelope
6th Overall Blows

Quote:
Originally Posted by bengay View Post
I just saw that Travis Zajac is an RFA - I can totally see Gillis pushing an offer sheet on this guy - he fits his mold of the undervalued player - the guy that is in the 15-20 goal range, young, big, fast. Add to the fact he played junior in BC.

Watch for this - my prediction.
$3.9 mil? (1st and 3rd Round picks next year)

Maybe but I can easily see NJ matching so I don't really see the point.

LickTheEnvelope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2009, 09:29 AM
Hedberg
MLD Glue Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by LickTheEnvelope View Post
$3.9 mil? (1st and 3rd Round picks next year)

Maybe but I can easily see NJ matching so I don't really see the point.
I can't see NJ not matching that.

Hedberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2009, 09:32 AM
trbr86

Yeah, and you totally don't want to disrespect anyone from New Jersey.

trbr86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2009, 10:13 AM
Free Torts

Send a message via MSN to Free Torts
I remember being kind of bent out of shape that the Canucks took Kesler over Stewart back in '03. Looks pretty dumb in retrospect but Stewart looked like he'd be a solid pro but lost his offense along the way. He'd still be a good callup or fill-in guy if they're able to get him under contract. The qualities he'd bring aren't too dissimilar from a guy like Rypien, with the only difference being he's an ex-first rounder.

Free Torts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2009, 10:34 AM
NFITO
hockeyinsanity*****

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJP View Post
I remember being kind of bent out of shape that the Canucks took Kesler over Stewart back in '03. Looks pretty dumb in retrospect but Stewart looked like he'd be a solid pro but lost his offense along the way. He'd still be a good callup or fill-in guy if they're able to get him under contract. The qualities he'd bring aren't too dissimilar from a guy like Rypien, with the only difference being he's an ex-first rounder.
I remember the same... disappointed we didn't go with the big powerforward potential of Stewart and took a chance on a slight speedster in Kesler.

I was obsessed with size back then too and Stewart was the prototypical power forward pick in the 20s in that draft.

NFITO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2009, 10:39 AM
Alan Jackson

The Canucks are in definite need of more depth, at every position, so some of these unqualified RFAs are intruiging in that sense. A player like Stewart would make some sense not because you expect him to live up to his draft position, but because he can be a depth role player with a pedigree to possibly do a little more than you expect.

As an aside, I'm a little frustrated the Canucks haven't issued a presser indicating whom they've qualified. I'm sure we can all make an educated guess, but it would be nice to have that information.

Alan Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2009, 10:42 AM
crazycanuck

Eminger and Woywitka really intrigue me.

crazycanuck is online now   Reply With Quote