HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Regier On Free-Agency

Old
06-29-2009, 06:30 PM
EndlessNameless9319
@NBarry19

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to EndlessNameless9319
Regier On Free-Agency

Quote:
http://www.wgr550.com/Regier-on-free-agency/4697921

(WGR 550) -- Darcy Regier joined The Howard Simon Show 40 hours before the start free agency and had plenty to say.

On the possibility of signing "big name" free agents:

"We would have to make some moves in conjunction with that," Regier said. "There are players we've looked at and felt there's a change that could be good for both the player and the organization. It doesn't mean the player won't be back. It doesn't mean we can't get the performance we expected from the player, but we would look at some changes."

On why they haven't reached deals with restricted free agents Andrej Sekera and Drew Stafford:

"We're going to take the position that we're not going to do something that becomes very costly purely out of the fear of an offer sheet."

On if they looked into disgruntled Ottawa forward Dany Heatley:

"I did talk to Bryan Murray, and we did have a conversation about where he is in that situation," Regier said. "Any move that Ottawa's going to make, they're going to get a big return. You take a look at who they might want from our hockey, and it's not an area we're prepared to move in."
Interesting.

EndlessNameless9319 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2009, 06:38 PM
Clock

Status quo.

But... that's alright, at least as far as Heatley goes. If they want to sign stafford or rej, though... taking a chance. Hopefully it pays off.
Posted via Mobile Device

Clock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2009, 08:59 PM
Jooce81

we like our team, we feel were a playoff team blah blah blah. nothing will change, maybe when they miss the playoffs 3 years in a row, he'll be gone, but I wont hold my breathe

Jooce81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2009, 11:38 PM
clumping platelets

This team only needs a couple of players to be a contender again

clumping platelets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2009, 11:53 PM
Dr. Zoidberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by clumping platelets View Post
This team only needs a couple of players to be a contender again
Crosby & Malkin? or
Zetterberg & Datsyuk?

I think that the team is a couple of players away from slipping in the playoffs at 7 or 8.

Dr. Zoidberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2009, 11:58 PM
BCS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Zoidberg View Post
Crosby & Malkin? or
Zetterberg & Datsyuk?

I think that the team is a couple of players away from slipping in the playoffs at 7 or 8.
I don't. If Vanek and Miller didn't suffer freak injuries, they'd have made it last season. With that said, injuries happen. And even if Vanek and Miller were healthy, the team wouldn't have contended for anything once it made the playoffs. We can all agree that isn't good enough. Just being a playoff team doesn't cut it.

BCS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2009, 12:26 AM
clumping platelets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Zoidberg View Post
Crosby & Malkin? or
Zetterberg & Datsyuk?

i.e. a contender.........once a team makes the playoffs, anything can happen. Just go back a few yrs.......I doubt anyone would have thought the Sabres were healthy defensemen away from the Cup

Old
06-30-2009, 02:28 AM
therick

Can anyone say there is a UFA that you are completly enamoured with. I look at the Free Agents this season and can't say there is any top free agents, I am in love with. The best forwards could be Havlat and Gaborik, getting either of them would be playing injury roulette. The idea of J-Bo the News is trying to pump out is stupid. It is not going to happen. All the big names are old and would be nothing more than a bandaid similar to Gilmour in the late 90s, we saw how well that ended. Basically I don't want to see a 35+ old player come in to get 50 pts for 6 million.

I would say it is a good offseason if something like this happened: Reiger makes a move, for Larose, McKee and Boynton I think are all players that would fit in well here at a pretty good price. While trading/waiving Hank I know they are not superstars, but I think they would be good assets. Darcy can't say who he likes and who he is not gonna go after, but he really needs to do something this year. I like the team, but their is definately room for improvement. I don't see a few guys with a year of AHL Exp. under their belt as the answer.

Last edited by therick: 06-30-2009 at 02:54 AM.
therick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2009, 03:49 AM
clumping platelets

There are a number of players that could add the missing elements of toughness and grit to this team.

Need to construct the team to make the playoffs but also win in the playoffs.....who cares if the Sabres are 1st or 8th in the conference, make the playoff with a team designed to win

Old
06-30-2009, 05:21 AM
therick

Quote:
There are a number of players that could add the missing elements of toughness and grit to this team.

Need to construct the team to make the playoffs but also win in the playoffs.....who cares if the Sabres are 1st or 8th in the conference, make the playoff with a team designed to win
That is why toughness is key once the playoffs come around you need some toughness. Detroit and Pitt may not be looked at as being tough, but players like Franzen, Cleary and Holmer are all tough players that are top 6 forwards. Pitt has Cooke, Talbot, Orpik and Scuderi. It is a good mix. That is what is needed to be successful.

I look at the 06 team, Mckee and Grier definately added that element to the Sabres. The next season we were amazing, but had the crap beat out of us by Phillips and Volchenkov against Ottawa. Even if Buffalo had beat the Sens, we would have been owned by a much tougher Anaheim team. Had we the toughness of the year before we would have been much better suited.

Right now we have skill say what you want, but Roy, Vanek, Connolly, Macarthur, Stafford, Pommers and even Hecht all have the ability to score 20+ goals and I don't think it is inconcievable to expect 50 + pts. Basically the rest of the forwards I want more players like Goose. Yeah maybe he only will get 10-15 goals maybe 30 pts, but they also will provide a spark a change of pace. We have the potential for scoring, but they need players to create room for them to do so.

therick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2009, 07:24 AM
Kruschiki

Quote:
i.e. a contender.........once a team makes the playoffs, anything can happen. Just go back a few yrs.......I doubt anyone would have thought the Sabres were healthy defensemen away from the Cup
To me, this is NHL propaganda. When was the last time a team with the sabres make-up (i.e. no top-tier talent at center) won a cup. Think about it.

Kruschiki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2009, 10:39 AM
joshjull

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooey View Post
To me, this is NHL propaganda. When was the last time a team with the sabres make-up (i.e. no top-tier talent at center) won a cup. Think about it.
You would probably have to go back to prelockout the Devils

joshjull is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2009, 11:04 AM
wardigital*

Quote:
Originally Posted by therick View Post
That is why toughness is key once the playoffs come around you need some toughness. Detroit and Pitt may not be looked at as being tough, but players like Franzen, Cleary and Holmer are all tough players that are top 6 forwards. Pitt has Cooke, Talbot, Orpik and Scuderi. It is a good mix. That is what is needed to be successful.

I look at the 06 team, Mckee and Grier definately added that element to the Sabres. The next season we were amazing, but had the crap beat out of us by Phillips and Volchenkov against Ottawa. Even if Buffalo had beat the Sens, we would have been owned by a much tougher Anaheim team. Had we the toughness of the year before we would have been much better suited.

Right now we have skill say what you want, but Roy, Vanek, Connolly, Macarthur, Stafford, Pommers and even Hecht all have the ability to score 20+ goals and I don't think it is inconcievable to expect 50 + pts. Basically the rest of the forwards I want more players like Goose. Yeah maybe he only will get 10-15 goals maybe 30 pts, but they also will provide a spark a change of pace. We have the potential for scoring, but they need players to create room for them to do so.
Tough players that are good. I am worried that Buffalo will fall into the trap of getting big bodies. You can't build a winner around guys like Paul Gaustad or Pat Kaleta just like you can't build a winner around soft one-way players. Kaleta/Goose have their role on a team, but I think there is some misplaced belief that, that kind of effort can wholly make up for talent.

People forget, that last year we lacked grittyness, sure, and that needs a remedy. But in those "critical 13 games" that Miller missed, the real thing that was lacking was goal scoring. Lalime was, in more instances than not, acceptable relief.

wardigital* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2009, 11:04 AM
wardigital*

Quote:
Originally Posted by therick View Post
Can anyone say there is a UFA that you are completly enamoured with. I look at the Free Agents this season and can't say there is any top free agents, I am in love with. The best forwards could be Havlat and Gaborik, getting either of them would be playing injury roulette. The idea of J-Bo the News is trying to pump out is stupid. It is not going to happen. All the big names are old and would be nothing more than a bandaid similar to Gilmour in the late 90s, we saw how well that ended. Basically I don't want to see a 35+ old player come in to get 50 pts for 6 million.

I would say it is a good offseason if something like this happened: Reiger makes a move, for Larose, McKee and Boynton I think are all players that would fit in well here at a pretty good price. While trading/waiving Hank I know they are not superstars, but I think they would be good assets. Darcy can't say who he likes and who he is not gonna go after, but he really needs to do something this year. I like the team, but their is definately room for improvement. I don't see a few guys with a year of AHL Exp. under their belt as the answer.
No one I'm really enamored with, sadly, no.

I'd take John Madden though. I think he'd be cheap and a good fit.

wardigital* is offline   Reply With Quote