Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Calgary Flames
Notices

Iggy

Old
06-28-2009, 12:50 PM
Flamesfan13

vCash: 50
Iggy

How many GOOD years does Iginla have left in him?

Flamesfan13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2009, 12:53 PM
Grannys

vCash: 500
58, give or take a few years.

Grannys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2009, 12:58 PM
Lunatik*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamesfan13 View Post
How many GOOD years does Iginla have left in him?
what is your definition of good? i think he could have a sakic like career with his conditioning

Lunatik* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2009, 01:04 PM
chriss_co

id say he has 2-3 more great years and then another 2-3 good yrs before retiring

so that makes it 4-6 yrs left in the NHL i predict (barring injury)

chriss_co is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2009, 01:07 PM
Puckz

Excellent conditioning, I'd say he has at least another 4-5 at his current pace before you even notice a decline (putting him at 36/37) and beyond that I still believe he will be an effective player for a few more. Retire around 39-40? Should break 1400 points for the career quite easily...

Puckz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2009, 01:11 PM
abracanada

I think he potentially has a Gary Roberts kind of career in him. Roberts with asthma and a bad back lasted a long time.

abracanada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2009, 01:17 PM
Puckz

Quote:
Originally Posted by abracanada View Post
I think he potentially has a Gary Roberts kind of career in him. Roberts with asthma and a bad back lasted a long time.
Roberts, Yzerman, Andreychuk, Francis, Messier, Sakic, etc etc...

Factor it in that he is a North American player so he won't be retiring early to go back overseas... A lot of Canadian forwards leg it out to their late 30s if not early 40s... As long as they are still effective, and there is no reason to believe he won't be, I don't doubt we'll see Iginla in the NHL just as long, and hopefully still with the Flames.

Old
06-28-2009, 01:50 PM
Dallas Flames Fan

He was not as dominant last year but still the best RW in the league.

Iggy will need to show this year whether he still belongs with the best (Crosby, Malkin, Ovechkin, Dats....) but I think he'll be a top 3 RW for a few more yrs.

Dallas Flames Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2009, 03:19 PM
flamesfan12

Send a message via AIM to flamesfan12 Send a message via MSN to flamesfan12 Send a message via Yahoo to flamesfan12
Iggy still has plenty of years left in him. The guy is in such great shape that he could definetly play and I think be dominant for another 3-4 years for sure.

flamesfan12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2009, 07:14 PM
I Hate Chris Butler
Backlund Fan Club

He'll finally hit 100 points in his final year.

The guy is in better condition than most players; I'd say he still has about 4-5 good year, maybe more.

I Hate Chris Butler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2009, 07:22 PM
Puckz

Quote:
Originally Posted by C For Choke View Post
He'll finally hit 100 points in his final year.

The guy is in better condition than most players; I'd say he still has about 4-5 good year, maybe more.
I hope he hits 100 points this year. For as strong of a player as he has been, the two Rocket Richard's, the Art Ross, I still have a hard time believing that even come the end of his career he will most likely not be a PPG player... Guess it's just a sign of the times though, lower scoring NHL, he's still dominant.

Old
06-28-2009, 07:34 PM
abracanada

I don't know why Iggy faded this year but I noticed a few other Flames had a pretty rough campaign too. Like Kiprusoff, Langkow and Phaneuf. I know they are not all fading away all at once.

Every one of these guys has been a game breaker at times, and it just didn't surface at all this year. I believe there was a lot of disagreement in that room this year. Hence, the changing of the guard.

I recall Sutter implying as much when he introduced the new coaching staff. He hinted that keeping the old staff while introducing a new coach was an error. One that obviously, he has corrected.

It could be a very different Flames team this year. At least, I hope so.

abracanada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2009, 08:24 PM
Coach Parker
Stanley Cup Champion

7 years...1 in Calgary and 6 in Boston

Coach Parker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2009, 08:37 PM
Complacent Iggy

His career is remarkably similar to Sakics, he's only 790 points and 2 Stanley Cups away from Burnaby Joe. To be fair he's more comparable to Keith Tkachuk, not to knock Tkachuk he is what he is.

I'm sure He'll never sniff 50 goals in a season again and usually power forwards take a nose dive in their career in their mid 30's. He's got 5 or 6 more seasons tops.

On the plus side I was watching Bob Mcowan on Sportsnet and they're claiming Iggy's unhappy in Calgary. Hopefully we can trade him and start building for the future and possible Cup contender, not Cup pretender the ticket buying fools in Calgary are buying into. Toronto Maple Leafs West out here.

Complacent Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2009, 09:30 PM
Dallas Flames Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingkipper View Post

On the plus side I was watching Bob Mcowan on Sportsnet and they're claiming Iggy's unhappy in Calgary. Hopefully we can trade him and start building for the future and possible Cup contender, not Cup pretender the ticket buying fools in Calgary are buying into. Toronto Maple Leafs West out here.
We may be a year or two away from that.....what moron would break up the current team that is already built to win now? At least give it a couple years.

Old
06-29-2009, 09:36 PM
Complacent Iggy

Because this team is built to win in the regular season, yes, not the playoffs. Do you really think our teams in the same class as the Pens, Wings, Hawks, Caps, Flyers, or Bruins talent wise? If you're happy with just making the playoffs then fine, but don't fool yourself into believing they're an elite team.

Old
06-29-2009, 09:41 PM
Noori

Quote:
Because this team is built to win in the regular season, yes, not the playoffs. Do you really think our teams in the same class as the Pens, Wings, Hawks, Caps, Flyers, or Bruins talent wise? If you're happy with just making the playoffs then fine, but don't fool yourself into believing they're an elite team.
I think by adding Bouwmeester and a good coaching staff, that teaches commitment to defense, i think we're on the same level, or atleastr very close to the Caps, Flyers, and Bruins. All three of those teams were knocked out in the first and second rounds of the playoffs last season.

Both the Pens and the Hawks had to be pretty bad for a few years to land Crosby, Malkin, Kane and Toews. I'd rather not blow our team up and be last in the league.

Noori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2009, 09:42 PM
Dallas Flames Fan

Quote:
No, I dont get fooled that easy.

they are a middle of the road team but at this point it is easier for them to tweak a few things and see if they get lucky......it's not like any of the teams you mention are dynasty that cant be beat by a hot team.

I think you underestimate the cost of rebuilding...ask the Isles, Jackets, Thrashers...they have been doing it forever and they are no better than the Flames.

One more point, if they are rebuilding, it wont be Sutter. He doesnt know how to draft.

Old
06-29-2009, 09:54 PM
Complacent Iggy

true, Sutter doesn't draft well and with his bro as our coach there will be no accountability if the team loses. Daryl will never fire his own brother.

Old
06-30-2009, 07:45 AM
I Hate Chris Butler
Backlund Fan Club

How did Iggy fade this year? He had 89 points. He also "faded" in 05-06, and 02-03. Iggy's just fine.

I Hate Chris Butler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2009, 09:32 AM
Feel The Heat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallas Flames Fan View Post
No, I dont get fooled that easy.

they are a middle of the road team but at this point it is easier for them to tweak a few things and see if they get lucky......it's not like any of the teams you mention are dynasty that cant be beat by a hot team.

I think you underestimate the cost of rebuilding...ask the Isles, Jackets, Thrashers...they have been doing it forever and they are no better than the Flames.

One more point, if they are rebuilding, it wont be Sutter. He doesnt know how to draft.

I don't understand this at all. Before Sutter we had nothing in our farm. Drafting before Sutter got here sucked. Remember a couple of first round gems tkachuk, Fata just to name a couple.

Feel The Heat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2009, 10:13 AM
bob_the_fish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach Parker View Post
7 years...1 in Calgary and 6 in Boston
Not... even...funny

bob_the_fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2009, 10:34 AM
OMA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feel The Heat View Post
[/B]

I don't understand this at all. Before Sutter we had nothing in our farm. Drafting before Sutter got here sucked. Remember a couple of first round gems tkachuk, Fata just to name a couple.
He struggled in the 2003/2004 drafts. He did get a franchise player in Phaneuf and a borderline top 6 guy in Boyd.. but nothing else out of it. He had a tendency to stick to the safe, western canadian grinder mentality.

That said, I think his drafts have vastly improved the last couple of years. In the last three years he's managed to pick up Backlund, Negrin, Aulie, Nemisz, Pelech, Brodie, Wahl and Irving. There's no guarantee they'll make it.. but I'd say they all have a legit chance to be career NHL players (ie, top 6 forwards/top 4 dmen types). I think he's starting to come around on the post-lockout game and we're starting to see a shift.

Just my thoughts though.

OMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2009, 10:55 AM
flamesfever

Iggy is totally fine, last year saw him (and the rest of the team) take a step back in two way play. Going from +27 to -2 is concerning.

With Brent Sutter coming in, that shouldn't be the case and i suspect a correction here.

There were three "go to" guys last year with Cammy and Jokinen around so Iggy didn't have to carry the full load.

He always seems to have a mid season goal slup of some sorts, but still contributes in other ways.

He is getting older, but will be able to contribute throughout the remainder of this contract.

I don't see 100points on the horizon if we start to play a tighter defensive style.

flamesfever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2009, 11:44 AM
Coach Parker
Stanley Cup Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob_the_fish View Post
Not... even...funny
I know, I know.

Coach Parker is offline   Reply With Quote