HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Nobody wants Heatley.

Old
06-30-2009, 11:25 AM
TheDanceOfMaternity

vCash: 500
Obviously no team is going to want to pay that 4 million payable starting tomorrow. I wonder if he can be moved on the condition that the receiving team pays the signing bonus along with a slight underpayment in what's coming back to Ottawa. That's how I see it panning out. I'd rather have Hossa.

TheDanceOfMaternity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2009, 11:27 AM
Isles_Guy*

Send a message via Yahoo to Isles_Guy*
ottowa fans are in denial its as simple as that. they will not get equal value

Isles_Guy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2009, 11:29 AM
Egil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flapjack View Post
I have stated all along that Heatleys value is little with that contract.

Once again, I have been proven correct.
Patience grasshopper, patience.

Egil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2009, 11:32 AM
Pyke*

Quote:
I have stated all along that Heatleys value is little with that contract.

Once again, I have been proven correct.

You haven't been proven correct at all.

You have no idea what has been offered, what's been asked for, or what teams are willing to part with. Furthermore, tomorrow, when Gaborik signs his $8m contract, along with the other players who can't match Heatley on a good day, come back and mention that "Heatley's contract is so bad".

Pyke* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2009, 11:36 AM
smackdaddy
Hall-RNH-Eberle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyke View Post

You have no idea what has been offered, what's been asked for, or what teams are willing to part with. Furthermore, tomorrow, when Gaborik signs his $8m contract, along with the other players who can't match Heatley on a good day, come back and mention that "Heatley's contract is so bad".

Excuse me, but do you have any idea who is on the trading block this year going into July 1st? Gaborik and Hossa are just TWO of the incredible number of players that teams have to choose from. And if they want to go the trade route, there are much better options than what Murray is demanding for Heatley.

smackdaddy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2009, 11:44 AM
Flapjack*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyke View Post

Then he would have been traded by now.
Now that that bonus kicks in, theres no way Heatley gets traded, or Murray is still living in a cap free NHL where teams call him and he picks three or four of their best young talent without fear of the salary cap.

(ring ring)
"Hello"?
"Dale Tallon? Its me Bryan.So Dany wants to be traded, ok? Lemme take Keith,Toews,the little guy with the mouth piece and Sharp for him, then you have a guy whos been the best scoring forward since the lockout. Beach, you got that guy? Better throw him in too, now that Ive been reading Heatleys press Iam getting guyshy, deal?"

(Phone hangs up)

Flapjack* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2009, 11:51 AM
Duponttime*

I think teams want Heatley. What they want to give up is NHL players where the salary coming back is equal or close to what Heatley makes. I think Murray wants back 2 or 3 top young players that don't make much and that won't happen. Teams need those guys to keep their cap down. That seems to me what is holding up a deal. Not to mention Murray is overvaluing Heatley. He's not on the level of guys like Nash, Crosby, Iginla, Crosby, E. Staal or Ovechkin. He's not a complete player like a Richards. Heatley is what he is. A one dimensional, excellent NHL offensive wing.

Duponttime* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2009, 11:53 AM
The Mars Volchenkov

Send a message via MSN to The Mars Volchenkov
Quote:
Originally Posted by youarentobjective View Post
I think teams want Heatley. What they want to give up is NHL players where the salary coming back is equal or close to what Heatley makes. I think Murray wants back 2 or 3 top young players that don't make much and that won't happen.
Tim Murray was on the radio yesterday and said they know they have to take contracts back and that's not an issue. They're just not going to take people's garbage back.

The Mars Volchenkov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2009, 11:54 AM
Vitto79

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isles_Guy View Post
ottowa fans are in denial its as simple as that. they will not get equal value
great, trade him to the Rangers then please

Vitto79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2009, 11:54 AM
oandb18

25 GMs have NO interest in Heatley.

This isn't because of his contract, or his trade demands whenever his team hits a rough patch. Heatley has other off the ice issues that have scared most GMs off.

The few GMs that are interested probably aren't wiling to give up much.

oandb18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2009, 11:57 AM
HSF

Tim Murray also CONFIRMED that Ottawa did not ask for Brown + JJ + 5th overall

He said he knows that is unreasonable and that deal was never discussed, obvi the Sun is making **** up again from their "sources"

HSF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2009, 12:12 PM
AC Le Rock

I don't care what you do on the ice if you're the type of character that publicly handcuffs your team that was so generous to give you a massive contract that ensures security.

If you didn't want to play in Ottawa, you shouldn't have signed the deal. If you changed your mind, have a little respect, formally ask for a trade and ride it out. It's one thing to want out, it's another to want out and make it public.

No room for that kinda **** when you're a damn professional.

AC Le Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2009, 12:12 PM
The Wayner

Ottawa just won't get equal value back, 50G guys don't grow on trees. I'd make him play it out, even if Heater would give his left eye to leave.

The Wayner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2009, 12:14 PM
Delayed Offside

Delayed Offside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2009, 12:26 PM
PeterSidorkiewicz
Original *** allstar

From everything Ive read, Ottawa is not asking an arm and a leg from anyone, they just don't like what's being offered currently. In one of the articles I believe its Tim Murray who even says we won't be getting back equal value for Heatley, but they still don't any significant offers.

The media makes this whole situation even more annoying because theres just so much crap out there people are now using as truths.

PeterSidorkiewicz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2009, 12:35 PM
WJG
Running and Rioting

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Mars Volchenkov View Post
Tim Murray was on the radio yesterday and said they know they have to take contracts back and that's not an issue. They're just not going to take people's garbage back.
This is why I don't think there's any way Heatley goes to NYR or CHI. No way does Murray want a Redden/Gomez/Drury/Campbell contract back. Roszival maybe, but even that is a stretch.

On the other hand, the worst contract Edmonton has to offer is Penner's 4.25 million/year, not to mention that Murray originally signed Penner in Anahiem.

Now that the draft has gone by, I'm predicting a Penner/Cogliano/Gilbert deal for Heatley/Smith

WJG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2009, 12:39 PM
Kamina
Amok

Quote:
Then he would have been traded by now.
Now that that bonus kicks in, theres no way Heatley gets traded, or Murray is still living in a cap free NHL where teams call him and he picks three or four of their best young talent without fear of the salary cap.
That's why he's been freeing up cap space ever since he became GM, right? Honestly, people need to think about what they're saying sometimes.

Kamina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2009, 12:43 PM
Kamina
Amok

Quote:
Originally Posted by NFINITEone View Post
On TSN, Steve Yzerman has already stated that Heatley's trade request has absolutely no affect on him playing in the Olympics.
A refusal to play and a significant lack of effort during the season will.

Old
06-30-2009, 12:50 PM
Anthrax Jones

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retail1LO View Post
Winner winner, chicken dinner. And one of those firsts turned into Jocelyn Thibault, who then got flipped for Patrick Roy.
And the other first was Adam Deadmarsh, who eventually fetched Rob Blake.

Anthrax Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2009, 12:56 PM
Beukeboom Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by SenatorArmy View Post
In the event that Heatley DOES play for us, then I'd disagree. I think you'll see a spectacular season out of HEatley. It's in his interest to perform so that ANY other team out there will actually want to make a pitch for him. I also think he'd do his best to make up with his teammates to make his remaining time here as smooth as possible. Already there is minimal interest, Heatley CANNOT afford to diminish his value further, otherwise he'll be stuck in Ottawa forever. Sure he'll have his money, but that's not what he cares about. he wants to play hockey. Also it wouldn't look very good for his olympic bid if he bummed around for a season;
Unless Heatley just absolutely tanks, he's going to make the Olympic team. Who else comes close to bringing what he does on LW?

I don't think he absolutely tanks, but wonder why you think he'll have a spectacular season? He's already requested a trade because he doesn't get along with the coach, who BTW had the team playing at a 100 point pace (small sample size though). What's going to change that makes Heatley give it 110%?

Heatley wants to get traded. IMO, it's in Heatley's best interest to play poorly. Why would I say something stupid like that? Because from what Murray apparently wants to get in a trade, he's asking for a ton, and is trying to justify strictly based on a traditional hockey trade. Unfortunately, I don't think that anyone is going to move the assets that Murray thinks Heatley is worth because of his contract and he requesting a trade. By playing great - it justifies Murray's demands and keeps him from getting dealt, which really is what Murray wants.

I honestly think that Murray would rather keep Heatley than trade him. If the rumored expected returns are accurate, I think it's pretty obvious that Murray's plan is to either sucker another GM into paying a premium for Heatley, or telling Heatley's camp that a deal isn't possible now - play great and increase your value. If Heatley's is playing great - Murray wins. The 2 ways I see this ending are some GM buckles and bends over for Murray, or Heatley plays poorly until Murray is desperate to move him off the team and takes something significantly less than what he is apparently looking for in a trade.

Beukeboom Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2009, 01:01 PM
Wondercarrot
Classless

Quote:
He's not on the level of guys like Nash, Crosby, Iginla, Crosby, E. Staal or Ovechkin. He's not a complete player like a Richards. Heatley is what he is. A one dimensional, excellent NHL offensive wing.
What a joke. Outside of Crosby, Ovechkin and Malkin - he's on the level or better than everyone else in the NHL.
If you want to call him a a ****er, or a jerk off, or a coscksucker, or even a ******* mother****er, fine.

But stop playing down 50 goal 100pt seasons.

RICK NASH???? for ****s sake. i like rick nash, rick nash is no dany heatley.

Wondercarrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2009, 01:02 PM
Kamina
Amok

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beukeboom Fan View Post
Unless Heatley just absolutely tanks, he's going to make the Olympic team. Who else comes close to bringing what he does on LW?

I don't think he absolutely tanks, but wonder why you think he'll have a spectacular season? He's already requested a trade because he doesn't get along with the coach, who BTW had the team playing at a 100 point pace (small sample size though). What's going to change that makes Heatley give it 110%?

Heatley wants to get traded. IMO, it's in Heatley's best interest to play poorly. Why would I say something stupid like that? Because from what Murray apparently wants to get in a trade, he's asking for a ton, and is trying to justify strictly based on a traditional hockey trade. Unfortunately, I don't think that anyone is going to move the assets that Murray thinks Heatley is worth because of his contract and he requesting a trade. By playing great - it justifies Murray's demands and keeps him from getting dealt, which really is what Murray wants.
Where's the logic in that?

In the end, Murray has absolutely no problem keeping Heatley, as you said. If Heatley plays poorly, teams will offer very low value packages, and Murray will continue to play hardball and refuse until Heatley plays well.

I doubt Heatley would waste his prime years away like that.

Old
06-30-2009, 01:07 PM
NFINITEone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamina View Post
A refusal to play and a significant lack of effort during the season will.
Of course it will. I just meant that the fact he asked for a trade won't matter. But just as every other player, his play during the season and attitude toward his respective team at the time definitely will.

NFINITEone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2009, 01:09 PM
HSF

Quote:
Originally Posted by youarentobjective View Post
I think teams want Heatley. What they want to give up is NHL players where the salary coming back is equal or close to what Heatley makes. I think Murray wants back 2 or 3 top young players that don't make much and that won't happen. Teams need those guys to keep their cap down. That seems to me what is holding up a deal. Not to mention Murray is overvaluing Heatley. He's not on the level of guys like Nash, Crosby, Iginla, Crosby, E. Staal or Ovechkin. He's not a complete player like a Richards. Heatley is what he is. A one dimensional, excellent NHL offensive wing.

lol i wonder what you are smoking

HSF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2009, 01:14 PM
Beukeboom Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamina View Post
Where's the logic in that?

In the end, Murray has absolutely no problem keeping Heatley, as you said. If Heatley plays poorly, teams will offer very low value packages, and Murray will continue to play hardball and refuse until Heatley plays well.

I doubt Heatley would waste his prime years away like that.
My logic is that at some point, Murray has to cut his losses. If he doesn't, the debacle could destroy any chance for the Sens to compete, and with it, Murray probably loses his job.

My assumption is that Murray honestly expects to get full value (or more) for Heatley. That is supported by what the initial trade expectations reported in the media (which obviously could be totally incorrect), but it was said in enough different places that it might be true. Heatley's value is impacted by his request for a trade, and Murray doesn't seem to want to acknowledge that. I understand why, but just don't see a successful end game strategy the way this is setting up.

My point is that it's a lot easier for Heatley to play poorly and lower his value forcing Murray's hand to get him out, than it is for him to play spectacular and raise his value to incent someone to overpay based on Murray's expectation.

Beukeboom Fan is offline   Reply With Quote