HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Roman Polak

Old
06-30-2009, 11:53 AM
Jeffro

vCash: 500
Roman Polak

Jeremy Rutherford of the St. Louis Post-Dispatch is reporting that Roman Polak, who has been qualified, will not have a contract signed by the time free agency opens. Is he going to get an offer sheet? From who, and for how much? He had a goal and 14 assists in 69 games last year, to go with only 45 PIM. Pretty impressive for a big dude who hits like a bag of hammers and spent the whole year saving Barret Jackman's ass. I suspect the Blues would match compensation up to a second round pick.

Jeffro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2009, 12:11 PM
trublu16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffro View Post
Jeremy Rutherford of the St. Louis Post-Dispatch is reporting that Roman Polak, who has been qualified, will not have a contract signed by the time free agency opens. Is he going to get an offer sheet? From who, and for how much? He had a goal and 14 assists in 69 games last year, to go with only 45 PIM. Pretty impressive for a big dude who hits like a bag of hammers and spent the whole year saving Barret Jackman's ass. I suspect the Blues would match compensation up to a second round pick.
Settle down. Maybe you should go back and watch some of the tape/video on that one. It went both ways. Polak is good, but you don't have to make sound like the best thing since sliced bread. He is a solid #3/#4 defensive defensemen who more than likely is going to get a lot of interest from other teams. But I really can't see anyone offering more than $1.5 mil for this guy.

So JD and Co. are taking a risk here but it is a risk that I agree you have to take, especially if Polak is asking for more than what they think he is worth. But I believe they qualified him at 500-600K range.

trublu16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2009, 12:34 PM
Oshie97

I don't get why everyone thinks he was saving Jackmans ass. Jackman and Cola were the only d-men trying to help out our forwards. Polak is a decent young d-man but I don't think he's going to get as much as he thinks. I would like to see the Blues keep him but if someone gives us some picks to sign him I won't be that mad.

Oshie97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2009, 01:11 PM
Stealth JD
Drexel's dead!!!

I'd suspect most people on these boards aren't familiar with Polak, a 6'1'', 227 lb defenseman that is among the best skaters on the team and the best body-checker. He's got a cannon of a shot and some untapped offensive potential which may see him put up 5-25-30 on an annual basis. The Blues likely are trying to get him signed long-term at $1.5M or so...I'm guessing he's looking for something closer to $2M/yr, considering the stupid contracts the club has given out to the defense in the past (McKee, Brewer, Jackman-somewhat). If I were the club I'd offer him a 4-yr deal at $1.5M, $2.0M, $2.0M, $2.5M...by the end of that contract he'd be a steal.

He was the 2nd best defenseman on the Blues last year, and would be an excellent compliment to an offensive partner such as Pietrangelo (though they'd both be R shots) or Colaiacovo. Long-term he's probably got a future with the club, which is saying something considering the Blues have used 1st rounders in the last 4 drafts on EJ, Petro, Cole & Rundblad. I don't think any club will offer $3M/yr...but if one did, I don't see the Blues letting him walk for only a 2nd rounder in compensation. They're taking a risk that a team isn't going to throw their payroll out of whack by making an offer than have to match...but apparently Polak wants more than the Blues are willing to offer, so we'll see what he's ultimately worth.

Stealth JD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2009, 01:59 PM
rumrokh
I Bleed Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oshie97 View Post
I don't get why everyone thinks he was saving Jackmans ass. Jackman and Cola were the only d-men trying to help out our forwards. Polak is a decent young d-man but I don't think he's going to get as much as he thinks. I would like to see the Blues keep him but if someone gives us some picks to sign him I won't be that mad.
I don't think it's an issue of how much Polak "thinks" he'll get. He's a restricted free agent and has been qualified. The Blues are trying to negotiate a longer term deal. He wants more for a longer term deal, but could very well be content to play out a contract at his qualifying offer to prove that he's worth more.

From the Blues' standpoint, it's a motivational tool as well as a way to save money now; even though Polak probably isn't asking more than he's worth. Unless somebody offers him something ridiculous, the Blues would probably be fine matching. Also remember, no defensemen have been signed to an offer sheet since the new CBA.

rumrokh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2009, 02:02 PM
jmwc95

Luckily, I don't see anyone giving Polak more than $3.013MM/yr (because he isn't worth that and they don't want to give up a 1st and a 3rd), and I'm sure that teams realize that the Blues don't have cap issues and will match anything less than that (2nd round compensation), so hopefully, no one tries to screw with the Blues by handing Polak an offer sheet. I think we've shown after last season, that we'll make them pay for it, and teams might leave us alone.

jmwc95 is offline   Reply With Quote