HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Jim McCrossin

Old
06-30-2009, 12:14 PM
GoneFullHextall
adios Holmgren

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opus View Post
This thread is utter and complete bull****.

Everybody likes to point the finger and at what point are the player accountable??? This is a ****ing joke.

Luca Sbisa said in an interview that he tweaked his groin in camp last year and didn't tell the Flyers training staff.

----> Link

If the players aren't forward, honest and upfront about some of their hampering injuries, what the **** do you want the training staff to do???
you didnt know one of the qualifications is that they are supposed to be mind readers?

GoneFullHextall is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2009, 12:18 PM
CanadianFlyer88
Knublin' PPs

vCash: 955
Quote:

Everybody likes to point the finger and at what point are the player accountable??? This is a ****ing joke.

Luca Sbisa said in an interview that he tweaked his groin in camp last year and didn't tell the Flyers training staff.

----> Link

If the players aren't forward, honest and upfront about some of their hampering injuries, what the **** do you want the training staff to do???
Woah. Did you post before your morning coffee, Opy?

CanadianFlyer88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2009, 12:22 PM
UseYourAllusion

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sa cyred View Post
(Tightening after a game hurts like a b*tch)
Yes it does.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianFlyer88 View Post
Maybe he did. But I still felt like that after mine.

UseYourAllusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2009, 01:07 PM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLHockeyKnight View Post
Correct me if I'm wrong.

I thought "building" muscle was actually "rebuilding" muscle. Whenever you work out you're constantly tearing muscle (really really small) so when you work out and rest your body heals, and like callist skin the muscle comes back bigger, stronger, etc. So when you stretch beforehand, you're creating small tears early in your muscles to allow more room to move and flex, so that your muscles don't lock up and you get a big tear (serious injury). So overstretching can be bad, but I don't think stretching is all bad?

Does that make sense or am I talking out my ass? Can't remember where I heard that or read it, but that's the impression I was always under.
Stretching itself isn't "bad," but stretching prior to exercise/game doesn't contribute anything positive is what is coming out now.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2009, 01:30 PM
CantSeeColors

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
Stretching itself isn't "bad," but stretching prior to exercise/game doesn't contribute anything positive is what is coming out now.
I read an article a few months back that basically boiled down to saying stretching doesn't actually stretch the muscle, it just gets your body used to the pain it feels when the muscle is pulled tight. I've never bought into stretching and do almost none before any sport I play (just a light groin stretch before hockey, no stretching before anything else) and I've never had any sort of serious muscle injury. One person is a small sample size for sure, but stretching just never made sense to me.

CantSeeColors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2009, 01:58 PM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by CantSeeColors View Post
I read an article a few months back that basically boiled down to saying stretching doesn't actually stretch the muscle, it just gets your body used to the pain it feels when the muscle is pulled tight. I've never bought into stretching and do almost none before any sport I play (just a light groin stretch before hockey, no stretching before anything else) and I've never had any sort of serious muscle injury. One person is a small sample size for sure, but stretching just never made sense to me.
I just think it's funny because of the ritual of pre-game/practice stretching I went through every damn day...now I hear this stuff later in life when it doesn't really matter.

I definitely do post-workout/game stretching, to keep myself loose, but no more of the pre-stretching. It definitely makes a difference the next day though, particularly for my lower back if I stretch out my hammys and whatnot.

Old
06-30-2009, 02:18 PM
Opus

Quote:
You do wonder if Carter should consider using a stick with a bit less loft to it.
Speaking of which, do you have any idea what curve he uses? Toe, mid or heel?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murphy7 View Post
I thought Carter shot high and wide because as he looked up at the net, he was scoping out the chick in Section 120, Row 2, Seat 1.
Next time you're at the game, snap a pic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireStevensDotCom View Post
you didnt know one of the qualifications is that they are supposed to be mind readers?
Why yes! Of course they are.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianFlyer88 View Post
Tea > Coffee

This subject has been beaten to death, and the finger pointing is comical. I swear, if somebody didn't know better and read the board...they'd think we were mass firing away from a dynasty. At some point, the players need to be held accountable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by UseYourAllusion View Post
Maybe he did. But I still felt like that after mine.
...hours later, I still feel the same way.

*sigh*

Opus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2009, 02:24 PM
Jester

Quote:
Speaking of which, do you have any idea what curve he uses? Toe, mid or heel?
None...I'm not sure I've ever seen a close-up of his stick, but I'm sure there is someone out there that could tell you exactly what he's got.

Heh...check this out:

That definitely explains the high and wide some.

Old
06-30-2009, 02:42 PM
Opus

Quote:
None...I'm not sure I've ever seen a close-up of his stick, but I'm sure there is someone out there that could tell you exactly what he's got.

Heh...check this out:

<pic>

Good lord, that's nasty.

Heel curve with an open toe? That's what it looks like to me, but it's an odd angle.

As you mentioned, THAT definitely explains the high and wide some.

Opus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2009, 02:54 PM
CantSeeColors

Quote:
I just think it's funny because of the ritual of pre-game/practice stretching I went through every damn day...now I hear this stuff later in life when it doesn't really matter.

I definitely do post-workout/game stretching, to keep myself loose, but no more of the pre-stretching. It definitely makes a difference the next day though, particularly for my lower back if I stretch out my hammys and whatnot.
Yeah for sure. My entire life people have always looked at me funny for doing like ten seconds worth of stretching and jumping out on the ice. I've heard so many times that I'm going to pull something but it's never happened. I feel somehow validated by the recent studies actually, but it was really just laziness all along that kept me from stretching more.

CantSeeColors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2009, 03:00 PM
ToTheNet

Send a message via AIM to ToTheNet
Quote:
Originally Posted by CantSeeColors View Post
Yeah for sure. My entire life people have always looked at me funny for doing like ten seconds worth of stretching and jumping out on the ice. I've heard so many times that I'm going to pull something but it's never happened. I feel somehow validated by the recent studies actually, but it was really just laziness all along that kept me from stretching more.
I'm with you man. I NEVER stretch before games. Maybe a light jog or what not just to get loose, but little to no stretching.

ToTheNet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2009, 05:36 PM
FlyHigh

Send a message via AIM to FlyHigh Send a message via MSN to FlyHigh
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToTheNet View Post
I'm with you man. I NEVER stretch before games. Maybe a light jog or what not just to get loose, but little to no stretching.
I know this is dumb, but it actually works for me psychologically. I started running a little more seriously last year (I probably do 4 miles per day about 4-5 times per week) and stretching for me is just a good ritual before the run even though my flexibility is relatively pathetic.

I feel like if I don't stretch, it takes me longer to get in rhythm when I'm running.

Always stretch afterward though, you feel it when you don't.

FlyHigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2009, 05:39 PM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyHigh View Post
I know this is dumb, but it actually works for me psychologically. I started running a little more seriously last year (I probably do 4 miles per day about 4-5 times per week) and stretching for me is just a good ritual before the run even though my flexibility is relatively pathetic.

I feel like if I don't stretch, it takes me longer to get in rhythm when I'm running.

Always stretch afterward though, you feel it when you don't.
Well, scientifically stretching without warming up (jogging) does you almost no good based on what I've read/heard. You want to raise your body temperature a bit before you stretch...thus why post-jogging stretching is really important, as you'll get real effect as far as flexibility out of it.

Old
06-30-2009, 05:43 PM
FlyHigh

Quote:
Well, scientifically stretching without warming up (jogging) does you almost no good based on what I've read/heard. You want to raise your body temperature a bit before you stretch...thus why post-jogging stretching is really important, as you'll get real effect as far as flexibility out of it.
Well, what I do is kind of bounce around my room (jumping jacks, bounce around, shake myself out) for a few minutes, then go into the stretching routine which is about 5-6 minutes, and then walk pretty quickly to a trail and start the run.

Old
06-30-2009, 05:57 PM
Ex Storm
Dig out your soul...

Quote:
This is true. You have to do a warm-up before stretching.

Ex Storm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2009, 06:18 PM
PhillyFan4Ever

Quote:

----> Link

PhillyFan4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2009, 06:43 PM
kicksave27

Quote:

Sweet jesus, how does he have a backhand with that curve. Kinda reminds me of Hexy's curve, pitching wedge heel curve.

kicksave27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2009, 06:56 PM
FlyHigh

Quote:
Originally Posted by kicksave27 View Post
Sweet jesus, how does he have a backhand with that curve. Kinda reminds me of Hexy's curve, pitching wedge heel curve.
He doesn't, when have you ever seen Carter use his backhand?

Old
06-30-2009, 07:15 PM
kicksave27

Quote:
It's his favorite shootout move. Which pains me to no end, with his wrist shot he'd embarrass goalies, much like Sakic does on breakaways.

kicksave27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2009, 07:34 PM
Ex Storm
Dig out your soul...

Quote:
He goes backhand every single breakaway. His only playoff goal was on the backhand.

Ex Storm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2009, 09:10 PM
JLHockeyKnight
IMA Real American

Quote:

Heh...check this out:

Actually I was looking at pictures after I read your comment before on his curve. He could definitely get a more closed face, but I don't think it's that bad.

JLHockeyKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2009, 09:12 PM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLHockeyKnight View Post
Actually I was looking at pictures after I read your comment before on his curve. He could definitely get a more closed face, but I don't think it's that bad.
I don't know, that's one of those flares that just completely explains why so many of his shots go high and right. Clearly it's an advantage for the getting the puck up under the bar, but it does explain his missing the net problem (specifically WHERE he misses the net).

I know if I was using that stick my shots would be way up and out of there.

Old
06-30-2009, 09:45 PM
FlyHigh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dig Out Your Soul View Post
He goes backhand every single breakaway. His only playoff goal was on the backhand.
Meh, outside of deking, when does he ever use it? I dunno, the backhander in general is kind of a dying art, but that stick is designed for one thing and one thing only: wrist shots.

EDIT: I'm not saying that's a bad thing.

Old
07-01-2009, 07:51 AM
JLHockeyKnight
IMA Real American

Quote:
I don't know, that's one of those flares that just completely explains why so many of his shots go high and right. Clearly it's an advantage for the getting the puck up under the bar, but it does explain his missing the net problem (specifically WHERE he misses the net).

I know if I was using that stick my shots would be way up and out of there.
I use the Lindros (closed face) and I could easily hit the crossbar while standing in the goalie crease. I understand it's preference, but he IS an NHL player. Maybe he should look into it...

JLHockeyKnight is offline   Reply With Quote