HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

** Free Agency 7/1/09 **

Closed Thread

Old
06-30-2009, 11:05 PM
Zad
HFB Partner

vCash: 500
http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=283356

Looks like Heatley is an Oiler.

Hope Dean isn't sleeping on the job. If the goal is, as he states, the playoffs THIS SEASON, he needs to make a big move to get us a chance. Good grief, how many times do we face Heatley now?

Old
06-30-2009, 11:08 PM
Captain Ron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zad View Post

Hope Dean isn't sleeping on the job. If the goal is, as he states, the playoffs THIS SEASON, he needs to make a big move to get us a chance. Good grief, how many times do we face Heatley now?
So add Bouwmeester to the Flames and Heatley to the Oilers....but the Kings will be better because their guys have matured one year.

Old
JDM
HFB Partner

Quote:

4?

Dany Heatley, meet Drew Doughty.

Old
Belanger25
ZUES!

TWITTER TRACKER! I call BS!

Old
06-30-2009, 11:09 PM
Telos
In Dean We Trust

vCash: 424
Send a message via ICQ to Telos Send a message via AIM to Telos Send a message via MSN to Telos Send a message via Yahoo to Telos
The wheels are turning. According to Hammond, it sounds like Dean is ready to go. Here's hoping...

“This is for you Kings fans wherever you may be. All the frustration and disappointment of the past is gone. The 45 year drought is over. The Los Angeles Kings are indeed the Kings of the National Hockey League. They are the 2012 Stanley Cup Champions!” - Bob Miller
Old
06-30-2009, 11:10 PM
JDM
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Ron View Post
So add Bouwmeester to the Flames and Heatley to the Oilers....but the Kings will be better because their guys have matured one year.
Well, the Flames were already way ahead of us. The Oilers were what I saw as pretty on par, but while Heatley is great, let's see how they fill the 2 extra holes they just created. Granted I think the trade makes them better, but they loved the Visnovsky trade too, and then proceeded to whine and complain and suck at all the things they lost in Stoll and Greene.

Still... I am kind of pissed Heatley didn't atleast stay in the east.

Old
06-30-2009, 11:15 PM
The Tikkanen
Pest

Send a message via AIM to The Tikkanen
Quote:

That's certainly an area King fans don't seem to realize-there are only 8 playoff spots avaialable. Detroit, Anaheim, San Jose and Chicago are locks leaving 4 more spots. Then you have Calgary, Columbus and Vancouver but tomorrow is a big day for the Canucks. In order for the Kings to make the playoffs not only do they have to get better from within they need to either start taking pieces away from the teams ahead of them or block teams like Edmonton from acquiring Heatley. Having the most prospects on the planet doesn't mean squat unless you can leapfrog some of the big boys which seems like years from now if ever if Deano stands pat. The Kings need more talent, the talent wants to get paid, the Kings have the money-it's that simple. Either Dean Lombardi wants to win or he doesn't, there are no other excuses.

Old
06-30-2009, 11:15 PM
Zad
HFB Partner

Quote:
I will put it this way.

If Dean doesn't make a big move in free agency because he didn't find the right "character" player, I will flip. This character prerequisite to signing a star has reached the absurdity level. Stars have egos. Match strong personalities with innate talent and a "team" environment in any sport and you're not going to get a circle jerk. Chemistry, I understand, is important and critical to winning but character, by Dean's definition someone that tows the line and doesn't talk back, is total unrealistic ********. Dean, if he was GM of a basketball team, would never trade for Kobe. Shaq and Kobe would never have been together. Take football, basketball, baseball, hockey, they are no different. You are going to get egos that are out of control and, in the end, the team with a combination of talent, luck and chemistry in that order is going to win it.

Dean can either sign talent or he cannot. It's that simple. He fails, the Kings fail and no playoffs for you or me.

Old
06-30-2009, 11:19 PM
ukyo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chazz Reinhold View Post
MH. Martin Havlat? Marian Hossa? He's friends with both right?

Who knows if that's really Gaborik's account or not, but it's sure fun to imagine.
http://twitter.com/Trencin10

If you check the full Twitter feed, he previously tweeted to @martinhavlat (who has a few thousand Blackhawk fans following him), so I would assume MH is Havlat. The feed looks legit, but you can never tell.

Old
06-30-2009, 11:19 PM
DeeMeck

Quote:
I will put it this way.

If Dean doesn't make a big move in free agency because he didn't find the right "character" player, I will flip. This character prerequisite to signing a star has reached the absurdity level. Stars have egos. Match strong personalities with innate talent and a "team" environment in any sport and you're not going to get a circle jerk. Chemistry, I understand, is important and critical to winning but character, by Dean's definition someone that tows the line and doesn't talk back, is total unrealistic ********. Dean, if he was GM of a basketball team, would never trade for Kobe. Shaq and Kobe would never have been together. Take football, basketball, baseball, hockey, they are no different. You are going to get egos that are out of control and, in the end, the team with a combination of talent, luck and chemistry in that order is going to win it.

Dean can either sign talent or he cannot. It's that simple. He fails, the Kings fail and no playoffs for you or me.
This.

Winning breeds chemistry regardless of ego.

Old
06-30-2009, 11:21 PM
DaAnimal

naked pics if we can land a blockbuster deal this weekend

Old
06-30-2009, 11:22 PM
Captain Ron

Quote:

I couldn't agree more.

What I do not like though is that if Dean does fail there will be dozens crawling out of the woodwork praising him for the chutzpah to resist signing an overpriced guy....even if that means another top 5 draft pick.

Old
06-30-2009, 11:22 PM
Telos
In Dean We Trust

Send a message via ICQ to Telos Send a message via AIM to Telos Send a message via MSN to Telos Send a message via Yahoo to Telos
Quote:
Originally Posted by ukyo View Post
http://twitter.com/Trencin10

If you check the full Twitter feed, he previously tweeted to @martinhavlat (who has a few thousand Blackhawk fans following him), so I would assume MH is Havlat. The feed looks legit, but you can never tell.
I am going to ****ing die from angst... This team is going to be the end of me. I am actually like heart shaking nervous about tomorrow... Please be Gaborik! Then acquire Phaneuf to appease Zad! Do it Deano!

Old
06-30-2009, 11:24 PM
Zad
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaAnimal View Post
naked pics if we can land a blockbuster deal this weekend
lol

Is that a threat?

Old
06-30-2009, 11:24 PM
DaAnimal

Time to stalk gabby,gonna call all the major expensive hotels in LA

Old
06-30-2009, 11:25 PM
JDM
HFB Partner

Quote:
I will put it this way.

Well put.

I will say though that I think people mock the "Kopi needs to get better" stuff a little too much. I agree that to secure a realistic shot at the playoffs, we need to add a star. However at the same time, even if the Kings add a star, if Kopi and Brown don't step it up, we still are not going to be a very good team. Let's not pretend like one star players = playoffs. One needn't look further than the Thrashers for that one. Hell, with Kovie and Heatley or Kovie and Hossa, still mass suckage abound.

So while we do need to sign a star, and worrying about Kopitar not improving is NO EXCUSE for not adding a much needed forward, that does not discredit the point that without Kopitar advancing to the next stage of his development, we aren't going to be that much closer to a playoff spot, and still hellishly far away from contention.

Obviously there are needs that need to be addressed. I do believe that no matter whether we add Hossa or Gaborik or Havlat or Phaneuf, barring a major overhaul of the team (which I don't think anyone is expecting or hoping for), Kopitar and his development is absolutely the single most critical thing to our future success.

We knew he was our future when he first burned Pronger. That hasn't changed.

Old
06-30-2009, 11:25 PM
The Tikkanen
Pest

Send a message via AIM to The Tikkanen
Quote:
Originally Posted by Telos View Post
I am going to ****ing die from angst... This team is going to be the end of me. Please be Gaborik! Then acquire Phaneuf to appease Zad! Do it Deano!
This is a low point in my life, I just read my first tweet thanks to Telos.

Old
06-30-2009, 11:26 PM
sweatypickle

Quote:
I couldn't agree more.

What I do not like though is that if Dean does fail there will be dozens crawling out of the woodwork praising him for the chutzpah to resist signing an overpriced guy....even if that means another top 5 draft pick.
did i hear my name?

Old
06-30-2009, 11:27 PM
BigKing
Spot Picker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tikkanen View Post
This is a low point in my life, I just read my first tweet thanks to Telos.
That's how I felt.

I feel dirty.

Dirtier than usual.

Old
06-30-2009, 11:28 PM
Sydor25
LA Kings

Send a message via ICQ to Sydor25
If any of that twittering is true, I can see many agents cancelling their players twitter accounts. I thought you couldn't negotiate until July 1st?

Old
06-30-2009, 11:29 PM
sweatypickle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydor25 View Post
If any of that twittering is true, I can see many agents cancelling their players twitter accounts. I thought you couldn't negotiate until July 1st?
you can't make an offer...

Old
06-30-2009, 11:30 PM
Captain Ron

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweatypickle View Post
did i hear my name?
If you fit the criteria.....then yes you can be one of those crawling from the woodwork.

Old
06-30-2009, 11:30 PM
Telos
In Dean We Trust

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydor25 View Post
Either that or he is dead set on getting a deal done with LA for whatever reason (which I care little, give him women, beaches, anything...), but of course, we could be talking about some 13 year old in his basement snickering over his new Gaborik screenname...

Old
06-30-2009, 11:31 PM
TonySCV
Two Timer!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigKing View Post
That's how I felt.

I feel dirty.

Dirtier than usual.
It's OK if you don't register an account.

Old
06-30-2009, 11:31 PM
Captain Ron

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweatypickle View Post
you can't make an offer...
Technically Sydor25 is correct....but there are probably negotiations going on in secret....if those involved are caught however, they could face still penalties.

Closed Thread