HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

** Free Agency 7/1/09 **

Closed Thread

Old
06-30-2009, 10:32 PM
Zad
HFB Partner

vCash: 500
You guys know what a jack in the box is right? Not the fast food place, but the box with the handle. You turn the handle in a circle and you hear "dun dun dun, dundundundundun, dun, dun, dun, dun..." and so forth. So, that is what I am reminded of with this offseason. We're all little kids with the box, and we keep turning that wheel. It plays the sound with each turn of the wheel and we know, any minute, it will hit the last note and POP, we got a trade...and we will either laugh at the super star that jumps out...or cry...

Old
Sydor25
LA Kings

Send a message via ICQ to Sydor25
Maybe Hammond should start twittering. Or is that Tweeting?

Old
LeanSixSigma

Winning takes talent, to repeat takes character. Please Deano, pull the trigger and aquire a gamebreaker.

Old
06-30-2009, 10:34 PM
aegwillnotwinthecup*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zad View Post
I will put it this way.

If Dean doesn't make a big move in free agency because he didn't find the right "character" player, I will flip. This character prerequisite to signing a star has reached the absurdity level. Stars have egos. Match strong personalities with innate talent and a "team" environment in any sport and you're not going to get a circle jerk. Chemistry, I understand, is important and critical to winning but character, by Dean's definition someone that tows the line and doesn't talk back, is total unrealistic ********. Dean, if he was GM of a basketball team, would never trade for Kobe. Shaq and Kobe would never have been together. Take football, basketball, baseball, hockey, they are no different. You are going to get egos that are out of control and, in the end, the team with a combination of talent, luck and chemistry in that order is going to win it.

Dean can either sign talent or he cannot. It's that simple. He fails, the Kings fail and no playoffs for you or me.
I think this is the first time in years everyone on this board is united in this one simple truth. From a longstanding Lombardi supporter, I appreciate this post, Zad.

Old
06-30-2009, 10:38 PM
ukyo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydor25 View Post
If any of that twittering is true, I can see many agents cancelling their players twitter accounts. I thought you couldn't negotiate until July 1st?
If you look at Gaborik's Twitter feed, it looks like his agent is none too happy about his tweeting.

Old
The Tikkanen
Pest

Send a message via AIM to The Tikkanen
Quote:
You guys know what a jack in the box is right? Not the fast food place, but the box with the handle. You turn the handle in a circle and you hear "dun dun dun, dundundundundun, dun, dun, dun, dun..." and so forth. So, that is what I am reminded of with this offseason. We're all little kids with the box, and we keep turning that wheel. It plays the sound with each turn of the wheel and we know, any minute, it will hit the last note and POP, we got a trade...and we will either laugh at the super star that jumps out...or cry...
I have a feeling I'll be doing a lot of drunken crying tomorrow as usual (every July 1st I mean, not every day, although that doesn't sound that bad).

Old
Sydor25
LA Kings

Tomorrow will be Lombardi's most important day as the Kings GM.

Old
06-30-2009, 10:39 PM
Telos
In Dean We Trust

vCash: 424
Send a message via ICQ to Telos Send a message via AIM to Telos Send a message via MSN to Telos Send a message via Yahoo to Telos
Quote:
lol.

*crawls into his corner*

Please be Gaborik!

Bow to the video! Bow to it I am losing my mind.

“This is for you Kings fans wherever you may be. All the frustration and disappointment of the past is gone. The 45 year drought is over. The Los Angeles Kings are indeed the Kings of the National Hockey League. They are the 2012 Stanley Cup Champions!” - Bob Miller
Old
06-30-2009, 10:40 PM
DaAnimal

For the LOVE OF GOD PLEASE LET THIS BE TRUE

Old
06-30-2009, 10:42 PM
Sydor25
LA Kings

I wouldn't know what to do if the Kings actually signed both Havlet and Gaborik.

I'm sure I will be disapointed tomorrow though.

Old
06-30-2009, 10:42 PM
hans

Send a message via AIM to hans
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Ron View Post
I couldn't agree more.

What I do not like though is that if Dean does fail there will be dozens crawling out of the woodwork praising him for the chutzpah to resist signing an overpriced guy....even if that means another top 5 draft pick.
What I'm really curious about is who will crawl out of the woodwork if he gives Gaborik or Havlat 10 years/80 million or something. Can we count on the support of the "we need to go all in now" crowd no matter what the contract is? Is "success" merely defined as inking a marquee player, any player, as long as the money and name is sufficiently big enough? Logically speaking it ought to be, if "failure" is defined as not inking said player regardless of circumstance.

I don't see any black and white about tomorrow's possibilities. Lombardi can fail with or without signings, or succeed with/without. It's going to take context to determine that and until I can see that context I'm not setting any hard-and-fast rules.

Old
06-30-2009, 10:43 PM
DaAnimal

Quote:
I wouldn't know what to do if the Kings actually signed both Havlet and Gaborik.

I'm gonna smack you with my wang if you keep thinking like that

Old
06-30-2009, 10:44 PM
Scottkmlps

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper45 View Post
So much for Ottawa fans thinking they were going to get the world for Heatley.
Yup. Just makes them look even more silly when they were proposing something from the Kings that had Brown involved in any deal for Heatley.

Old
06-30-2009, 10:44 PM
Telos
In Dean We Trust

Send a message via ICQ to Telos Send a message via AIM to Telos Send a message via MSN to Telos Send a message via Yahoo to Telos
http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=646503&page=2

Oh god oh god... :O Who knows. I think we are going to end up with Havlat. They are both in LA and it looks like this account is real. That is Havlat's account according to Hawk fans.

Old
06-30-2009, 10:46 PM
JMFJ 3

Quote:

Me too, I'm keeping my expectations low so when we don't sign anyone I don't feel like crap.

Old
06-30-2009, 10:46 PM
Sydor25
LA Kings

Where's CBGB when you need him.....

Old
06-30-2009, 10:48 PM
TonySCV
Push to the 8th Seed

Per Quisp on Hammond's blog...

"The Havlat twitter account is real. The Gaborik one is fake. Notice that fake Gaborik tweets @havlat but not the other way around. and havlat doesn't follow fake gaborik, though he follows the other real NHL-ers on twitter, e.g. Dan Boyle."

Old
06-30-2009, 10:49 PM
Zad
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by hans View Post
What I'm really curious about is who will crawl out of the woodwork if he gives Gaborik or Havlat 10 years/80 million or something. Can we count on the support of the "we need to go all in now" crowd no matter what the contract is? Is "success" merely defined as inking a marquee player, any player, as long as the money and name is sufficiently big enough? Logically speaking it ought to be, if "failure" is defined as not inking said player regardless of circumstance.

I don't see any black and white about tomorrow's possibilities. Lombardi can fail with or without signings, or succeed with/without. It's going to take context to determine that and until I can see that context I'm not setting any hard-and-fast rules.
You cannot BEGIN to succeed without calculated risks and tremendous talent in your hockey team. There is a threshold that must be reached before the Kings are legitimate contenders for the Cup. Without it, failure is guaranteed. Your analysis is, respectfully, off. Success is not "merely" defined as inking a marquee player. Hockey is a team sport, not a bad chemistry experiment whereby you randomly add something other than an O to a couple of H and voila, water. However, you cannot begin to create water without the first H.

Old
sweatypickle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Ron View Post
Technically Sydor25 is correct....but there are probably negotiations going on in secret....if those involved are caught however, they could face still penalties.
it's not really a secret... but I still am not sure to where the line is drawn with the NHL... I've listened to an agent, whom I'm fairly cordial with by now, call their player two days before July first with a list of teams that are interested... Curiosity eventually got the best of me so I asked when he was in town one day... Orr basically said "well they didn't make any offers"...

I'm assuming that's basically where it is as to what they let slide, let alone the task of trying to prove anything... you wouldn't see nary the deals that happen within the first hours without a knowledge of who was interested otherwise...

personally I think they should go NBA style where they hit FA but can't sign for like a week... let's bring Kovy on Anshutz's jet for a couple days...

Old
Telos
In Dean We Trust

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonySCV View Post
Per Quisp on Hammond's blog...

"The Havlat twitter account is real. The Gaborik one is fake. Notice that fake Gaborik tweets @havlat but not the other way around. and havlat doesn't follow fake gaborik, though he follows the other real NHL-ers on twitter, e.g. Dan Boyle."
Heh, I was just coming back here to quote Quisp lol and you beat me to it. Good, I am glad, since that probably fake Gaborik said we were getting Havlat instead of him... I want Gaborik!

Old
06-30-2009, 10:51 PM
Legionnaire
Kill! Jeff, Kill!!!

Quote:
I will put it this way.

If Dean doesn't make a big move in free agency because he didn't find the right "character" player, I will flip. This character prerequisite to signing a star has reached the absurdity level. Stars have egos. Match strong personalities with innate talent and a "team" environment in any sport and you're not going to get a circle jerk. Chemistry, I understand, is important and critical to winning but character, by Dean's definition someone that tows the line and doesn't talk back, is total unrealistic ********. Dean, if he was GM of a basketball team, would never trade for Kobe. Shaq and Kobe would never have been together. Take football, basketball, baseball, hockey, they are no different. You are going to get egos that are out of control and, in the end, the team with a combination of talent, luck and chemistry in that order is going to win it.

Dean can either sign talent or he cannot. It's that simple. He fails, the Kings fail and no playoffs for you or me.
What if that character flaw happens to be laying out for lengthy periods of time with mysterious injuries? Are you willing to give up that much cap space for a guy who is hardly going to be in the lineup and not going to give a crap when he is.

It makes a difference.

This team needs goal scoring, yes, but at what cost? The playoffs next year at what cost? This team should only improve even without a star. It's just going to take a little patience.

Old
06-30-2009, 10:53 PM
VictoryRose

I'm not one to sit here and dissect this twitter ****, but Havlat doesn't seem to have been posting much the last two days, if at all, and Gaborik has only been on since yesterday morning.

Old
06-30-2009, 10:53 PM
saintsnsoldiers
The Nolanator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telos View Post
http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=646503&page=2

Oh god oh god... :O Who knows. I think we are going to end up with Havlat. They are both in LA and it looks like this account is real. That is Havlat's account according to Hawk fans.
Heh that's funny if this Twitter stuff is real. Ok boy's I'm going to have sex with my wife for 3 MINUTES so i can take my mind off of tonight.....

Old
06-30-2009, 10:54 PM
Zad
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legionnaire View Post
What if that character flaw happens to be laying out for lengthy periods of time with mysterious injuries? Are you willing to give up that much cap space for a guy who is hardly going to be in the lineup and not going to give a crap when he is.

It makes a difference.

This team needs goal scoring, yes, but at what cost? The playoffs next year at what cost? This team should only improve even without a star. It's just going to take a little patience.
You sound like a Guns N Roses song.

Old
06-30-2009, 10:54 PM
Zad
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by saintsnsoldiers View Post
Heh that's funny if this Twitter stuff is real. Ok boy's I'm going to have sex with my wife for 3 MINUTES so i can take my mind off of tonight.....
Put in a couple of pumps for me.

Closed Thread