HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Glen Sather appreciation thread

Old
07-01-2009, 12:17 AM
Radek27

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Radek27
Don't get me wrong, i'm loving the man right now but tomorrow comes his most dangerous time of year.

Radek27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2009, 12:28 AM
gravytrain6t

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubiSnacks17 View Post
Brian Leetch would have looked awfully good on the Rangers blueline in 05-06 & 06-07 with Jagr up front dominating teams and Hank in goal.
And what about Zubov right next to him? That was a dumber trade than the Leetch trade. Zubov was in his prime.

gravytrain6t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2009, 12:58 AM
gravytrain6t

Quote:
Originally Posted by puckhead94 View Post
I think that the Scott Gomez to Montreal trade needs to be highlighted on the next episode of the 50 Greatest Moments at Madison Square Garden.
Is this why many fans from other forums claim to hate our fan base more than any other fan base. Is it because we don't appreciate talented players coming over here to bleed blue for two years and read a statement like this? It's a friggin disgrace how we get on players who don't warrant it. If you don't like Gomez fine. But why blame Scotty. We cannot blame his effort because his stats do not show a lack there of.

Sather offers you a huge contract, not one person here would say nahhh, no thanks, but thanks.

We're hating on Sather for two years now because of bringing in Gomez who came here to do what he's supposed too, no? Who else in the past two seasons of Sather's constant revolving door of player personnel has put up as many assists as Scotty? "But Gomez suuucks." (not me. i wouldn't say that). Instead of giving up on Gomez he'll recognize (Gainey) that he can play with the right guys around him.

See Gainey isn't dumb. Instead of going out and grabbing Drury and Redden, he'll find wingers for Gomez and it is plausible we haven't seen the best of Gomez yet. Montreal fans appreciate fast skating with finesse. I wouldn't be a bit surprised he has his best years in a Canadians uniform. So fine laugh all you want about the Gomez trade. But we still don't know who got the better of the deal yet do we? If so. How? While other teams build, we always look for the next best thing who is now...Heatley?? He's our savior this year??

I agree the trade had to be done though because Sather finds it necessary to sign any big hockey name for a multi million, multi year contract.

Anyway, this imo.

Old
07-01-2009, 01:39 AM
Radek27

Send a message via AIM to Radek27
Quote:
Originally Posted by gravytrain6t View Post
Is this why many fans from other forums claim to hate our fan base more than any other fan base. Is it because we don't appreciate talented players coming over here to bleed blue for two years and read a statement like this? It's a friggin disgrace how we get on players who don't warrant it. If you don't like Gomez fine. But why blame Scotty. We cannot blame his effort because his stats do not show a lack there of.

Sather offers you a huge contract, not one person here would say nahhh, no thanks, but thanks.

We're hating on Sather for two years now because of bringing in Gomez who came here to do what he's supposed too, no? Who else in the past two seasons of Sather's constant revolving door of player personnel has put up as many assists as Scotty? "But Gomez suuucks." (not me. i wouldn't say that). Instead of giving up on Gomez he'll recognize (Gainey) that he can play with the right guys around him.

See Gainey isn't dumb. Instead of going out and grabbing Drury and Redden, he'll find wingers for Gomez and it is plausible we haven't seen the best of Gomez yet. Montreal fans appreciate fast skating with finesse. I wouldn't be a bit surprised he has his best years in a Canadians uniform. So fine laugh all you want about the Gomez trade. But we still don't know who got the better of the deal yet do we? If so. How? While other teams build, we always look for the next best thing who is now...Heatley?? He's our savior this year??

I agree the trade had to be done though because Sather finds it necessary to sign any big hockey name for a multi million, multi year contract.

Anyway, this imo.
Hmmmm why do Ranger fans dislike Scott Gomez?

An ex-devil coming in making big bucks playing way under expectations and he's on the air cracking jokes and being funny. The guy rubbed a lot of fans the wrong way to be honest and nothing through his 2 years here made me believe Scott Gomez bled Ranger blue, nothing. Add in the little coupe he had in his hand with getting Renney canned and the writing was on the wall..........SEE YA SCOTT!

Radek27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2009, 05:42 AM
Duponttime*

It's beyond funny to see the egg on the faces of the countless posters who spent months telling the few of us how players like Gomez were untradeable unless we threw in high picks and top prospects to dump their salary. Yet, Sather got a good player in Higgins and Montreal's top prospect. Especially one poster who spent months hinting that almost every Rangers player was worthless and had no trade value. Sure would be nice if one of those posters started up a thread stating how completely clueless they were.

Last edited by Duponttime*: 07-01-2009 at 05:54 AM.
Duponttime* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2009, 06:51 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Lets see reserve the Sather accolades. Lets see what Glen does in free agency. No stupid trades please.

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2009, 07:31 AM
Jersey Girl

If Sather finds a way to trade Wade Redden I'll be really impressed.

Jersey Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2009, 07:32 AM
Mr Bojanglez
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 50
Quote:

Anyway, this imo.
I agree with you. Gomez, while overpaid, is still very talented. He might thrive in a pressure situation like Montreal. I know New York is similar, but lets face it is not Montreal. Gomez needs a push, this could be it.

But I agree, I think Gomez' better years are coming. Sather went in with a 7-year plan on Gomez... abandoned him after 2. He didn't surround him with enough talent. Everyone just assumed him and Jagr would make it work. Forgetting both guys love puck possession.

This is a trade that definitely won't bite the Rangers. They free up space, get Higgens who (in my opinion) is on the bubble. Although He looks to be at least a 20 goal, 50 point guy (at worst).

But to give Sather praise? For what? Fixing his mistake?

Mr Bojanglez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2009, 07:38 AM
Levitate

Quote:
There's some merit to this, but I think the situation isn't completely clear cut.

For one, the Rangers also grabbed Drury because they needed centers. It was a huge hole for the previous two years, as the Rangers struggled to get any secondary scoring because their second line center was more like a third liner. So they got arguably the best two centers available.

When Redden was signed, it was because everyone had been saying for years "the Rangers need a big name defenseman to run the defense and PP", it was another attempt to address a big weakness.

The ideas behind these moves were smart, the results just weren't there. THat's what I'd criticize Sather for, instead of criticising the reasoning behind signing these players.

So, it's not that the Rangers were dumb and didn't get good wingers for Gomez. It's that they used up most of their cap space trying to fill other holes. They didn't have much room to get good wingers for him (and their major hope for a scoring winger within the organization proceeded to die during the season).

Now if Montreal has the cap space/already has the wingers for Gomez, good for them. It doesn't mean that it was a bad deal for the Rangers to move him now. If it works out well for Montreal, great! It can work out well for the Rangers too by allowing them to sign a better offensive player, and the extras like Higgins and McDonagh are nice as well.

This is something that can work out well for both teams, but I think it's already a win for the Rangers because of the cap space issue.

As for Glen Sather appreciation...I appreciate his trades (unless he blows one going for Heatley). Damn good trader. Just keep the checkbook away from him

Levitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2009, 08:14 AM
94now

Quote:
Originally Posted by puckhead94 View Post
I think that the Scott Gomez to Montreal trade needs to be highlighted on the next episode of the 50 Greatest Moments at Madison Square Garden.
This is the best trade in Rangers history.

94now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2009, 08:18 AM
Mr Bojanglez
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by 94now View Post
This is the best trade in Rangers history.
i assume you're just being a little excited at the moment, right?

Mr Bojanglez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2009, 08:19 AM
qwertyaas
LGR@

Glen Sather: The true story of Jeckel and Hyde. A genious in trades, a trainwreck if FA signings.

Here's to hoping he doesn't bring in the next big FA at a huge and long term contract. Funny if now Sather signs an elite winger with no playmaker to center him.

But still, getting that cap relief was necessary.

qwertyaas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2009, 08:25 AM
captain9nyr
@captain9nyr

Send a message via AIM to captain9nyr
Quote:

Anyway, this imo.
There is a Scott Gomez jersey hanging in my closet right now that will never again see the light of day. This has nothing to do with my feeling for or against Scott Gomez and everything to do with the fact that this team was between a rock and a hard place with the salary cap, with nowhere to turn, and this guy was able to do what no one thought he could do.

He moved $7.357 Million in salary for the next 5 years AND received what can be perceived as value in return in a young wing and the other team's #1 prospect. Montreal fans are contemplating a mass suicide today because Glen Sather destroyed ther GM in this deal.

That is why this deserves to be held in such regard as to be on the 50 Greatest Moments in Madison Square Garden. Scott Gomez is a great player, but his contract was keeping the team down. We're not better right now because we don't have Scott Gomez. If we use the cap space right, maybe we will be. But what Glen Sather accomplished yesterday is nothing short of a miracle.

captain9nyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2009, 08:39 AM
pld459666

vCash: 873

One of the biggest Sather haters on this board.

Geez did he really do that to Montreal?

We moved an albatross of a contract and snagged a very serviceable winger on Higgins while also snatching their crown jewel of a prospect (according to HF anyway).

Credit where credit is due.

That was an AWESOME job on his part.

pld459666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2009, 09:08 AM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Awesome job or lucky enough to have a desperate Montreal go for it?

This was not Wade Redden he traded, it was the best player out of the high contracts we needed to move. If he moves Redden then maybe some credit is due, but lets see what he gets don the rest of the summer.

And still, the reason we were in that mess to begin with was El Cigaro himself and his outrageous contracts.

Bluenote13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2009, 12:58 PM
gravytrain6t

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radek27 View Post
Hmmmm why do Ranger fans dislike Scott Gomez?

An ex-devil coming in making big bucks playing way under expectations and he's on the air cracking jokes and being funny. The guy rubbed a lot of fans the wrong way to be honest and nothing through his 2 years here made me believe Scott Gomez bled Ranger blue, nothing. Add in the little coupe he had in his hand with getting Renney canned and the writing was on the wall..........SEE YA SCOTT!
Again back to Renney? Gomez is at fault for everything that was wrong with the organization? He rubbed people the wrong way by by being their top point getter in both the regular season and playoffs the past two years (if not number one than he was right behind Jagr in total offense). It's not like he was a big contract guy who didn't produce. He was one of the few who did. So yea I think he was in it for the long haul as far as bleeding Rangers Blue. Who cares if he's a former Devil??? IMO, that's so silly. If he would have stayed throughout the remainder of the contract, he would be just as much a Ranger.
But yet it's all Scotty's fault we couldn't win a Cup. Over the past 10 years, was it Gretzkys fault as well? If not, were any of these other not so house hold names who were brought in, at fault?

How about having two of the greatest centers to ever play the game on the same team (Gretzky/Messier)? Robitaille? Verbeek? Lafontaine? Holik? Nedved? Or what about Bure, Lindros, Kovalev, Kevin Stevens, Kamenky, Daigle, Maclean, and Theo Fleury? Was Skrudland and Keane at fault? Jagr and Shannahan were here. Got us passed the first round but that's about it. As a matter of fact, Gomez is so horrible he was part of a team that swept us 4 straight games in the 06' playoffs.

Okay, many seasons later....Gomez and Drury come in. I shouldn't mention Drury because of course he's not the problem. He's what's right with this team compared to Gomez. We even had a poll to "prove" this, correct?

I'm sure i missed some key names up there. But I listed some good ones. Even "the great one" himself. Over the span of 15 years we've brought in all of these guys and more (and i didn't get to the defense men yet) and we're celebrating Gomez's trade like we just one the Stanley Cup!! Now who's next?? Heatley? He should do it!!

Is getting rid of Gomez the best thing that's happened to this franchise in over 10 years?? We should make that a poll? Or say since 1995-96'?

One thing I will say, is I'm glad Tortorella is here. It's finally a start. Oh yea hall of famer Jari Kurri! Why couldn't he fix the Rangers mess.

Last edited by gravytrain6t: 07-01-2009 at 03:06 PM. Reason: Super Stars not so super in NY
Old
07-01-2009, 01:02 PM
bumrusherer

Sather has a magic wand, nothing more to be said.

bumrusherer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2009, 01:11 PM
HockeyBasedNYC

Not happy if the Brashear rumors are true

HockeyBasedNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2009, 02:18 PM
KreiMeARiver
Have Confidence

premature thread alert!!!!

Brashear? Yeah no

KreiMeARiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2009, 02:46 PM
94now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Bojanglez View Post
i assume you're just being a little excited at the moment, right?
No, it's the best trade in NYR history because we have the history of mostly bad trades. Sather is the best GM in that area (so-so in other crucial aspects). That is the best trade of his tenure here.

94now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2009, 03:15 PM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by youarentobjective View Post
It's beyond funny to see the egg on the faces of the countless posters who spent months telling the few of us how players like Gomez were untradeable unless we threw in high picks and top prospects to dump their salary. Yet, Sather got a good player in Higgins and Montreal's top prospect. Especially one poster who spent months hinting that almost every Rangers player was worthless and had no trade value. Sure would be nice if one of those posters started up a thread stating how completely clueless they were.
I can only hope you mean me. So how exactly am I wrong? I said Gomez was untradeable, and by multiple reports from reliable sources, Gomez was being offered league-wide for months, and then finally, one team traded for him out of pure desperation in a move that is widely regarded as one of the worst trades in recent history. A move that the other team's fan base is livid over, a move that beat writers and analysts are panning.

Funny that you would call someone clueless. I've been reading this board for a long time. I can count the number of posters I have absolutely no respect for on one hand. You're one of them. Your lack of knowledge of the actual on-ice aspects of the sport, not to mention the league in general is alarming. I'd bet anything you've been banned from this board before under a different user name.

NYR Sting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2009, 05:11 PM
Ola

Gomez was never untradeble -- why would he be? Gomez might have been shopped for month, but how on earth would we know if Slats got any offers or not? Gomez was our 1st line center and probably our top forward all season long, Slats wasn't exactly gooing to give him away for a worse player in the middle of a PO hunt just to cut salary.

There is plenty of teams who have hunted a player like him for years and never been able to sign someone to a "bad contract". Gomez scored more then Koivu last season. Montreal wants to move on from Saku and what were their options? LeCav wasn't gooing to happend. The Sedins? They make like twice as much as Gomer and never hit the market.

Heck its definitly not impossible in any way or form that Montreal is declared the winner of this trade 12 month from now. Just like CBJ probably "won" the Toots for Zherdev trade.

Ola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2009, 07:12 PM
chosen

Quote:
Originally Posted by youarentobjective View Post
When did Higgins become good? Was it since the season ended? So far in his career he seems to be exactly what we already have: another highly touted guy who has failed to live up to expectations.

Yippee, another guy who might score 20 if he can stay in the lineup. Another player who will average 38 points.

The only thing good about the trade that we know of is that it frees salary. Now we'll see who he acquires.

Now no forward on the team can gain the offensive zone to go along with no player who can score goals. Who is Torts going to play his offensive strategy with?

Name the Rangers 1st line and tell me of a team that has a worse 1st line at this moment.

chosen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2009, 08:00 PM
t3hg00se

Send a message via AIM to t3hg00se
Glen, you turned Gomez into Gaborik Higgins and McDonagh.

Good job.

t3hg00se is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2009, 08:01 PM
HAPPY HOUR

Quote:
Originally Posted by t3hg00se View Post
Glen, you turned Gomez into Gaborik Higgins and McDonagh.

Good job.

HAPPY HOUR is offline   Reply With Quote