Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Calgary Flames
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Is Darryl Sutter a good GM?

Old
06-30-2009, 08:53 PM
bam09

vCash: 500
Since I'm a well documented Sutter hate I'll say this: I'm very excited about the Bouwmeester signing, and I'm looking forward to see what other moves he does this offseason.

BUT at the same time I'll reserve my judgment of him until Apr... er scratch that June hopefully

And I'd love to eat my words, and will man up to each and every poster here if we do indeed win with Sutter.

bam09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2009, 08:59 PM
saillias

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallas Flames Fan View Post
To be honest, it's all good now but if the team dont perform, his ass is still on the line. It's not like we have a perfect team....there are holes, lets see if all this work pay off.

PS: all it takes is Kipper sucks ass again.
It's pretty difficult for a goalie to suck when their defense is top-notch and the whole team is committed to a solid defensive system. Chris Osgood can win Cups and goalies like Turek and Mclennan can have .914 save percentages.

saillias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2009, 09:19 PM
OMA

I do have my issues with Sutter... but in the last 6 months he's managed to turn Matthew Lombardi, Jim Vandermeer, Ryan Wilson and a 2010 1st round pick into Jay Bouwmeester and Olli Jokinen

(I realize there are cap considerations and other stuff involved).. but that still looks damn good to me.

OMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2009, 09:31 PM
saillias

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by OMA View Post
I do have my issues with Sutter... but in the last 6 months he's managed to turn Matthew Lombardi, Jim Vandermeer, Ryan Wilson and a 2010 1st round pick into Jay Bouwmeester and Olli Jokinen

(I realize there are cap considerations and other stuff involved).. but that still looks damn good to me.
You have to add Leopold and a 3rd coming from us, but yes when you put it that way the overall transition is pretty stellar. Since you're mixing Florida and Phoenix together, I would like to see the Huselius and Langkow trades added in there just to see how much we've fleeced both teams in recent years.

saillias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2009, 10:10 PM
chriss_co

not much to say about sutter except that when he wants something, he'll get it done!

and thats what i love about the guy...

our coach sucked so he went out and got someone who fits this team perfectly...
when we lacked a big #1 center, he went out and got jokinen (still waiting for him to pay dividends)
and when he saw jaybo available, he snatched him up and signed him from out of 29 GM's noses

chriss_co is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2009, 10:27 PM
Flames 1st pick

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriss_co View Post
not much to say about sutter except that when he wants something, he'll get it done!
Yes he does. We may not win anything but as long as he is a GM, there will always be some excitement.

Flames 1st pick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2009, 12:17 AM
flamesfan12

Send a message via AIM to flamesfan12 Send a message via MSN to flamesfan12 Send a message via Yahoo to flamesfan12
Quote:
Originally Posted by chriss_co View Post

and thats what i love about the guy...
Agreed. One of the things I love about him too. Doesn't waste time either. Just look at the circus up north of us.

I've always been a Sutter supporter, but I really feel he is going in the right direction. Made some mistakes sure, but he's out there giving us a competitive team season after season. Just need to get the playoff wins now.

flamesfan12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2009, 07:50 AM
GoFlames

Yes. Sutter has seemed to really grow into the role since the trade deadline last year with risk taking, doing whatever it takes to makje the team better, try to gel the coach with players imo. I think this is even more the case as in the huge injury fiasco last year he saw many players come right in and play well. That gives him the leverage he needs to make such moves. I say hats off to him and I hope for post season success this year. Pending any major changes in the roster this is the best Flames team since the late 1980`s to early 1990`s.

GoFlames is offline   Reply With Quote