HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Breakaways

Old
06-19-2009, 09:07 PM
icombas

vCash: 500
some goalies watch your eyes, everytime im on the ice, i don't shoot where im looking because then it gets predictable. Don't aim or try to be fancy, just get it at the net

icombas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2009, 09:11 PM
Leafidelity
Compete Level

vCash: 1775
Quick shot low stick side would be your best bet as a new player. The faster you can set up to release the better.

Leafidelity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2009, 04:09 AM
hkyplayer03

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZMachine View Post

hkyplayer03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2009, 06:07 AM
paulster2626

I play net and forward. When I was playing net I noticed a guy that did this shoulder-fake tricked me every time. Now I do it when I'm on a breakaway - skate in, big shoulder-fake to the right, then move the puck to the left and backhand 'er in. Usually dont' even have to lift it.

The fake move just has to make the goalie put his weight on that one foot. Once he's done that, you've got him.

Trick only works once though - next time you're comign in just rip one past him in the net. The goalie will hate you for the rest of the game.

paulster2626 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2009, 09:20 AM
Badwolf

Send a message via MSN to Badwolf
we goalies are a hateful bunch...

Badwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2009, 09:54 AM
gojacketsgo61
Fire the Refs!

normally I find double-dekes work perfectly. Go in with lots of speed fake to forehand last second cut in and go backhand. If done right goalie left a huge hole open on the backhand side.

gojacketsgo61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2009, 11:08 AM
cptjeff
[insert joke here]

The one I've been using to pretty good success recently is to pull up right before I get to where you would normally make a move, and just wait for the goalie to make the move. You'll find yourself with a lot of shooting area, and the change of speed throws them off, especially if you have him moving laterally some.

cptjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2009, 03:07 PM
Saved*

My latest breakaway move:

Skate as hard as you can, but be very tired so the defense can catch up to you. Then allow them to give a nice 2 hander to your arm, and another to your right wrist. Then let one defender stick his stick between your legs while the other slashes your stick into two pieces.

While falling down, push the left defenders blade to hit the stick and that extra bit of speed propels the puck into the cage as you fall into the goaltender.

Saved* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2009, 05:14 PM
Headcoach

Send a message via AIM to Headcoach Send a message via MSN to Headcoach Send a message via Yahoo to Headcoach
Quote:
Originally Posted by madmutter View Post
So I am fairly new rec league player and have been playing in a 3 on 3 summer league and working on my skating at open skates and an adult powerskating class. The good part of this is that I've had 5 breakaways in the last 2 games. The bad part is I'm 0 for 5 on breakaways. I need help.
Well, lets talk about this for a second.....

Here's what I want you to do, and what I want you to asks several of your friends on your team including the goalie and then let compair notes.

Here's the question I want you to ask them....

Why do goalies come out on a break-a-way?

Goalies will tell you to make themselves look big in the net and cut down the angle.
Forwards will tell you that the minute this happens the only thing on there mind at this time is to deke because the goalie has all of this space behind them....

Well, here's what I would like for you to stop and think about for just a second....

In a regulation game and you get a break-a-way, there are a lot of things going through a players mind, especially when the game is close. here are the things that go through their mind as they get that puck and head to the blue line to enter the zone....

1. If I score, I will be the hero
2. If I score, I might get to go to McDonalds (12 and below)
3. If I score, I might get lucky tonight. (15 and above)
4. etc......

So as you can see the shooter is in a lot of pressure to get the job done. So when the goalie comes out, his one job only in doing this is to mind set the shooter to deke.

Once he gets the shooter to deke...the goalie has a higher percentage of making the save then if the shooter shots in the slot.

Here, do this little drill....

This drill takes two people. One person had the puck and the other person has their hand up in front of them like they are going to shake hand, but with his thumb in position like he is making a letter "C" with his hand.

Now, the second guy places the puck between the finger and thumb and wiggles the puck back and forth and then let's go of the puck. The other person needs to catch it before it leaves his hand. The odds are really good that he can't. Why? Reaction time. The puck is too close.

This little drill holds true to a shooter and a goalie. If you come close to the golaie and he comes out, as you approach you close the distance rate and then the goalie has less reaction time to make the save....get it!

So, when you come into the slot, I don't care how much room the goalie gives you behind for the deke, you shoot in the slot with a "NO" communication shot. Like a snap shot!

If you drop your shoulder, it looks like a wrist shot and this might get him to drop in a butterfly. But there are a lot of great goalies that will not fall for this.

However, the minute you come down on a goalie, while you stick handle, the goalie will know that you can not score until you open up the face of the blade so it is facing him, then it's time to dance.

So, if you come down the ice with you stick face open towards him, then it will freeze him in this tracks. Why?

If he continues to move backwards, he has to shift his weight from leg to leg as he moves back. If you can see this shift, wait until he shifts and then shoot towards the leg that he is place the weight on.

But a lot of goalie, once they see that stick open, will stop and get ready for the shot. So a nice snap shot does the trick right in the slot.

Remembers the puck trick, you will have the reaction time on the goalie.

Hope this helps.
Head coach

Last edited by Headcoach: 06-21-2009 at 05:22 PM.
Headcoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2009, 07:59 PM
Badwolf

Send a message via MSN to Badwolf
that drill would probably work for the goalie's reaction time as well... I'm going to try that one out

Badwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2009, 08:50 PM
McMonster

(for a righty)
  1. skate in slow
  2. fake wrist shot
  3. deke left and put the puck on the back hand
  4. wait for the goalie to slide over
  5. pull it back to the forehand
  6. wait for the goalie to dive back towards the puck on his stomach
  7. put the puck top shelf

works every time.

McMonster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2009, 08:55 PM
Gunnar Stahl 30
...In The World!

as a goalie i like to fake a poke check, especially if know they are dekeing, it throws them off

Gunnar Stahl 30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2009, 09:19 PM
BoldNewLettuce
Esquire

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by HURAKAN View Post

Skate as hard as you can, but be very tired so the defense can catch up to you. Then allow them to give a nice 2 hander to your arm, and another to your right wrist. Then let one defender stick his stick between your legs while the other slashes your stick into two pieces.

While falling down, push the left defenders blade to hit the stick and that extra bit of speed propels the puck into the cage as you fall into the goaltender.

HAHA

BoldNewLettuce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2009, 12:26 PM
Pedagogue

Here is a clip from a sean skinner video.

Pedagogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2009, 04:15 PM
BadHammy*
MSL For Hart!

One quick tip, what you need to do is pick a spot across. Let's say I'm a lefty on the left side, I want to look at a spot across on the right, then make my move, but if he overslides and takes that away, go back left. A lot of this is proper body positioning.

BadHammy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2009, 04:54 PM
cptjeff
[insert joke here]

Quote:
Originally Posted by HURAKAN View Post

I had one similar the other week. Skate in more or less a straight line, powering to the net while two defenders are doing everything in their power to trip you and hold you back, get the puck caught under the blade of your stick, get it loose just tin time to get to the net, backhand it five hole, and go head over heels into the corner when the two D finally mange to trip you.

cptjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2009, 05:20 PM
Headcoach

Send a message via AIM to Headcoach Send a message via MSN to Headcoach Send a message via Yahoo to Headcoach
Quote:
Originally Posted by MistaWrista View Post
One quick tip, what you need to do is pick a spot across. Let's say I'm a lefty on the left side, I want to look at a spot across on the right, then make my move, but if he overslides and takes that away, go back left. A lot of this is proper body positioning.
Well, shooters have a tendency to get this one, just a little wrong...somethimes! Let me explain.

When you are coming down the ice on a goalie, some goalies will line up to the shooter and some goalies will line up to the puck.

A good shooter will learn which one is which and this little scoring tip will help you score a sh** load of goals. So here it comes....

If you are on a break-a-way, generally the goalie will line up with the shooter because the puck is in front of the shooter going side to side.

The minute the shooter opens up the blade of his stick, the goalie should align with the puck. Here's why...

If you are coming down the ice with the puck and you open up the blade to take the shot and if the goalie has the angle covered on you as you look at him, this means that he (the goalie) is aligned to you (the shooter) and not to the blade.

This means that if you were to step out side of your body and stand behind the blade of your stick, you will see that the angle has now changed on the goalie and now you will see that the side that your stick is on, is way open to shot on net.

This is known as the "Puck's Eye" and once you understand this concept, you will be scoring more goals.

Now, if you are coming down the ice and the goalie has aligned his body to the blade of your stick, you will see the side open on the opposite side of your blade. If you see this...DO NOT TRY AND SHOOT THERE. The goalie has the angle covered.

So what in the he** does all of this mean? If the goalie is aligned to you, I recommend that you use a snap shot low on the ice on your stick side and DO NOT DEKE. Why work harder then you have too.

You see, a snap shot gives little to no communications to the goalie that it is coming. And, if you look at my previous post on this thread about the hand and puck trick, the goalie will have less recation time due to the closure rate distance / or reaction time between you and the goalie. Which means you have the advantage over the goalie due to reaction time.

So, watch how the goalie stands in the net and then take advantage of his position.

Hope this helps

Head coach

Last edited by Headcoach: 07-01-2009 at 05:27 PM.
Headcoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2009, 09:24 PM
dirtydevs9

Send a message via AIM to dirtydevs9
I have a new, simple and effective move I have been working on lately.
Come in, for rights come down the right wing and for the lefties the left, fake a shot to the short side (slapshot works the best usually) and then pull the puck over to your backhand and go top shelf.

dirtydevs9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2009, 10:35 PM
The Kult

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedagogue View Post

ok the 5 hole one where he hits the goalies stick to lift it up, would that be legal to do in an actual shootout?

also the throwing of the glove?

The Kult is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2009, 10:43 PM
Giroux tha Damaja

Send a message via AIM to Giroux tha Damaja
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedagogue View Post
He made sure to get the worst goalie in the world to practice on didn't he?

Giroux tha Damaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2009, 10:53 PM
BadHammy*
MSL For Hart!

Head Coach is a wise man. If you stay forehand and make the one fake like you're going backhand, you can freeze the goalie and go low blocker side (lefty shooter on left glove goalie). The trick is to double clutch on the forehand and move your body slightly across to your backhand side, just a few inches does it.

Old
07-02-2009, 12:35 AM
Killiecrankie*

I score like 70% on breakways during a game, yet I suck at the shootout. Dont think just do. I come up with all sorts of wierd **** during a game. During a shootout I (used) to overthink everything.

Now I just do a forhand to backhand move and either anothe combination or a quick shot for my shootout. I go fast and dont think.

During a game I dont have time to think so i usually score...

Killiecrankie* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2009, 01:25 AM
BadHammy*
MSL For Hart!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Culloden View Post
I score like 70% on breakways during a game, yet I suck at the shootout. Dont think just do. I come up with all sorts of wierd **** during a game. During a shootout I (used) to overthink everything.

Now I just do a forhand to backhand move and either anothe combination or a quick shot for my shootout. I go fast and dont think.

During a game I dont have time to think so i usually score...
Good point. Just look up, see open net and do it.

Old
07-02-2009, 02:36 AM
Giroux tha Damaja

Send a message via AIM to Giroux tha Damaja
Quote:
Originally Posted by Headcoach View Post
Well, shooters have a tendency to get this one, just a little wrong...somethimes! Let me explain.

When you are coming down the ice on a goalie, some goalies will line up to the shooter and some goalies will line up to the puck.

A good shooter will learn which one is which and this little scoring tip will help you score a sh** load of goals. So here it comes....

If you are on a break-a-way, generally the goalie will line up with the shooter because the puck is in front of the shooter going side to side.

The minute the shooter opens up the blade of his stick, the goalie should align with the puck. Here's why...

If you are coming down the ice with the puck and you open up the blade to take the shot and if the goalie has the angle covered on you as you look at him, this means that he (the goalie) is aligned to you (the shooter) and not to the blade.

This means that if you were to step out side of your body and stand behind the blade of your stick, you will see that the angle has now changed on the goalie and now you will see that the side that your stick is on, is way open to shot on net.

This is known as the "Puck's Eye" and once you understand this concept, you will be scoring more goals.

Now, if you are coming down the ice and the goalie has aligned his body to the blade of your stick, you will see the side open on the opposite side of your blade. If you see this...DO NOT TRY AND SHOOT THERE. The goalie has the angle covered.

So what in the he** does all of this mean? If the goalie is aligned to you, I recommend that you use a snap shot low on the ice on your stick side and DO NOT DEKE. Why work harder then you have too.

You see, a snap shot gives little to no communications to the goalie that it is coming. And, if you look at my previous post on this thread about the hand and puck trick, the goalie will have less recation time due to the closure rate distance / or reaction time between you and the goalie. Which means you have the advantage over the goalie due to reaction time.

So, watch how the goalie stands in the net and then take advantage of his position.

Hope this helps

Head coach
I agree with this 100%.

As a goalie I still have a bad habit of lining up to shooters and not the puck when guys break down their off wing. I give up a few goals a season over my far side shoulder like this, drives me nuts.

The snapshot is good advice too. I have always said that a quick release and a mediocre shot is Waaaay harder for me personally to stop than hard shot with a telegraphed release (in terms of both timing and location). Reason being I have to now pick up the puck in the air not on the blade, which makes perceiving the depth of it harder. Also if I can see the release I have a pretty good idea which quarter of the net the shots going to before the pucks even off the blade, so I almost have a save selected before the shot is even taken. With a quick release I know how to find the puck depth wise and direction wise, select a save and begin the motion to stop the shot all while its on it's way to me. If I see the release I only have to move to make the save while the pucks in the air.

Giroux tha Damaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2009, 12:16 PM
Mr Wentworth
Arch Duke of Raleigh

Ex-goalie here.

#1-Decide on where you are shotting when you are near the top of circles.
#2-DON'T LOOK THERE.
#3-Keep skating in
#4-Look someplace else.
#5-Shoot to where you decided to shoot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kovalchkin71

4.) I come down the right wing, keeping my stickhandle on my right side instead of across my body (forward and back, rather than side to side). As I cut towards the net, I drop the puck out wide on my forehand side (same side I've been handling the puck on) and as my body cuts across the front of the net I keep my hands in a shooting position, out wide. As the goalie follows me across the net and pulls away from the post I try to shoot up to the top corner that he just vacated.
I HATED THAT MOVE.
Then I learned how to poke check better.

The move explained in a different way...
I am the shooter. I come in with the puck on your forehand. I'm righthanded, so I'm coming up my rightwing. Try to skate between the face-off dot and portion of the circle that is closer to the rink. You want to be closer to the face off dot.
Cut to the net, body first, opened up, the puck being dragged behind you just a little bit. When the puck is about 4 inches inside the post, keep it still, cradle it, put it on your backhand for a split second (cradling is better, ya know, rotate your wrists.) Keep your body going for a split second, this should make the goalie commit to moving to his left and open up the right top corner. If you cradeled the puck, it should be easy to get under it and lift it into the top right corner.

See the lame drawing that is attached.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Breakaway.JPG‎ (53.2 KB, 10 views)

Mr Wentworth is offline   Reply With Quote