HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Carolina Hurricanes
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

JR on 99.9 right now

Old
07-01-2009, 11:25 AM
Gotta Catch Em Staal
The Red Scare of '14

vCash: 500
Ruutu will be $3 or $3.5 million I believe.

07-01-2009, 11:26 AM
Guerzy
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmonk View Post
right, but if you don't pay babchuk 1,5-2 mil he is worth, you'd have to spend $3+ mil for another D who's capable to play in your top 4 or face possibility to have Kaberle and Wallin playing in your top 4.

We already have to potentially pay a defenceman a certain amount of dollars for a top 4 role.

I would rather have Kaberle/Wallin on the bottom pairing, use Babchuks salary in order to put towards a defenceman, whether it is McKee or Leopold or Zanon, its a hell of a lot better than Babchuk. Atleast it would solidify out top 4.

Guerzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
AntonFromAppState
hockeytalkuncensored

Quote:
triangle is actually in a much better shape than most of the country.

Wasn't it in the news that this area was one of the least affected areas in the nation.
I read that our unemployment rate is increasing steadily while others are leveling off.

AntonFromAppState is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Cardiac_Canes

Send a message via MSN to Cardiac_Canes
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleCooper View Post
Ruutu will be $3 or $3.5 million I believe.
Yup, look what Bolland just got.

Cardiac_Canes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2009, 11:59 AM
Sasha Cares
28 mph!!!!!!!

I liked Babs this season, but I think once the light around the league turned on and they starting concentrating on him on the PP and pressuring his point shot and taking advantage of his lack of mobility, he became a bigger liability than asset... You just can't give a man a raise that couldn't even manage to avoid being a healthy scratch 50% of the time in the playoffs...

He is probably the most selfish player on the team, and while JR has not always handled him right, I agree with him on this one... Sign for $1 mil or we'll trade your rights or you can go back to Russia for all I care

Sasha Cares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2009, 12:02 PM
DaveG
Mod Supervisor
How's the thesis?

vCash: 562
And have to spend 3 million per to replace him or go with one of Kaberle, Wallin, Carson or McBain in the top 4. Just a flat out bad idea. I still say offer him 1.5 per on a one-year deal, maybe a two-year. Then if he rejects it wait for someone to hit him with an offer sheet. If it's anything less then a 2nd rounder match.

DaveG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2009, 12:08 PM
Guerzy
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveG View Post
And have to spend 3 million per to replace him or go with one of Kaberle, Wallin, Carson or McBain in the top 4. I still say offer him 1.5 per on a one-year deal, maybe a two-year. Then if he rejects it wait for someone to hit him with an offer sheet. If it's anything less then a 2nd rounder match.
I definitely see what you are saying.

Budget wise, this is how I look at it.

If we are going to spend approx. 1.2 - 1.5 to replace Seidenberg (which I hope we can do) then we should use Babchuk's 1-1.5 and have a total of 2.5-3 to spend on a top 4 defenceman. If we can use some of that money to sign McKee, Leopold, Zanon, etc, etc.. In my mind, that solidifies our top 4. That is more important to me than having one of Babchuk, Kaberle or Wallin in our top 4. That is just ugly in my mind and if we can solidify things there, I would be pleased.

Honestly, I dont think Babchuk will be in this organization for much longer. Maybe not entering this season in October, maybe he won't be here to finish this season next April. If we can get a defenceman on a 2-3 year deal to help solidify our top 4, call me sold.

I just believe budget wise, it is better off. If we spent to the cap than this conversation probably wouldn't be happening. But when dollars and cents can add up to solidify a position within your budget, than it sometimes has to be the choice made. You rid yourself of a question mark to securely fill a void of need. That's just me though.

Old
07-01-2009, 12:11 PM
Sasha Cares
28 mph!!!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guerzy View Post

If we are going to spend approx. 1.2 - 1.5 to replace Seidenberg (which I hope we can do) then we should use Babchuk's 1-1.5 and have a total of 2.5-3 to spend on a top 4 defenceman. If we can use some of that money to sign McKee, Leopold, Zanon, etc, etc.. In my mind, that solidifies our top 4. That is more important to me than having one of Babchuk, Kaberle or Wallin in our top 4. That is just ugly in my mind and if we can solidify things there, I would be pleased.

Honestly, I dont think Babchuk will be in this organization for much longer. Maybe not entering this season in October, maybe he won't be here to finish this season next April. If we can get a defenceman on a 2-3 year deal to help solidify our top 4, call me sold.

I just believe budget wise, it is better off. If we spent to the cap than this conversation probably wouldn't be happening. But when dollars and cents can add up to solidify a position within your budget, than it sometimes has to be the choice made. That's just me though.
Completely agree... Combine the Seids money with the Bab money and get a top 4 D... If Kab opts out then use that money for a 5-6 D man or rely on the young kids and push that money up to combine with Cole or LaRose money if they walk and get a scoring winger to play on the top 2 lines

Sasha Cares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2009, 12:13 PM
faulkingdynamic
J Troll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guerzy View Post

I just believe budget wise, it is better off. If we spent to the cap than this conversation probably wouldn't be happening. But when dollars and cents can add up to solidify a position within your budget, than it sometimes has to be the choice made. You rid yourself of a question mark to securely fill a void of need. That's just me though.
I agree whole heartedly!!!! viva la Guerzy! Bring on a legit top 4 guy!!!!

faulkingdynamic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2009, 12:14 PM
bleedgreen

id rather pay the extra couple of million to pay an outside guy who is a legit 3/4 guy than pay babs 1-2 mill to be forced into our top 4 whne he wasnt even good enough to suit up for some playoff games. how does that work? how can jr say babs can play in our top 4, when he got his butt sat i the playoffs? that means not only kaberle, but wallin is ahead of him.

i agree its a lowball (1 mill), but its hard to argue with the logic its hard to pay a guy more when he cant be counted on to even dress in a big game.

spend 3-4 mill on a guy we have no problem putting in the top four - lose babs and use the money saved on all these guys leaving. if we only had one guy we could pick up for next year who is ufa, id rather have a legit 3 mill D, over a 3 mill forward. i like knuble and what he could bring, other than him im not seeing anyone who would really help us in that range.

bleedgreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2009, 12:15 PM
dmonk
doughberle

Send a message via ICQ to dmonk
Quote:
Originally Posted by eerodynamic View Post
I agree whole heartedly!!!! viva la Guerzy! Bring on a legit top 4 guy!!!!
we are talking JR here, right? keep dreaming.

dmonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2009, 12:15 PM
Guerzy
HFBoards Sponsor

It is all about spending your dollars and cents correctly in my mind. Like I said, when you are a budget team in a cap world you have to make decisions to best solidify your team. When you are a team that spends to the cap... well, like I said, this conversation probably wouldn't be taking place.

It's just the way the world turns for me in a budget/cap world.

Spend wisely.

Old
07-01-2009, 12:24 PM
Guerzy
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
we are talking JR here, right? keep dreaming.

I don't know. I have a feeling JR knows what the team needs are here. I think it is evident JR knows he needs something within the 4 with solid defensive play and a bit of an edge. Regardless of if he says he thinks Babchuk or Kaberle can do it. Chances are he is only saying that to cover is ass if he can't get something done.

You would have to be a complete moron to think Babchuk and Kaberle can do it on a team in which JR believes and has stated can contend. I don't believe JR is that big of an airhead. Really... a bottom 3 of Babchuk, Wallin and Kaberle? Ugly.

With him being relatively shady in regards to discussing Babchuk this offseason and now the latest news, I wouldn't be shocked to see him moved in some capacity and his salary spent elsewhere.

Old
07-01-2009, 12:27 PM
dmonk
doughberle

Send a message via ICQ to dmonk
Well, JR thought it was okay to start last season with Kaberle Babchuk Melichar and Wallin.

what will change his mind this year?

He might spend salary elsewhere but it is not going to be true top 4 d-man.

dmonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2009, 12:30 PM
Guerzy
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Well, JR thought it was okay to start last season with Kaberle Babchuk Melichar and Wallin.

I don't know, maybe a playoff showing that made our glaring holes quite evident?

If you piss JR off enough he will throw you to the curb. If that happens and JR gets to a point with Babchuk where he no longer cares for him, I could see his salary spent elsewhere. That's all im sayin'.

Old
07-01-2009, 12:40 PM
bleedgreen

Quote:

i have a hard time arguing with this post, though i agree with you guerzy - the holes in the d shouldve been glaringly obvious to him. he is a bargain bin hunter - he thinks he can fill the four spot with guys like melichar. im still pissed about last year. promised three new dmen - and one of them is BABCHUK. that isnt new brother, bringing back a guy you own the rights to isnt "new". melichar was just the icing on the cake. at least we got pitts. i was so disappointed last year, not with pitts...but the rest.

Old
07-01-2009, 12:45 PM
Guerzy
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleedgreen View Post
i have a hard time arguing with this post, though i agree with you guerzy - the holes in the d shouldve been glaringly obvious to him. he is a bargain bin hunter - he thinks he can fill the four spot with guys like melichar. im still pissed about last year. promised three new dmen - and one of them is BABCHUK. that isnt new brother, bringing back a guy you own the rights to isnt "new". melichar was just the icing on the cake. at least we got pitts. i was so disappointed last year, not with pitts...but the rest.
Agree there Bleedgreen.

With that said however, I believe JR *may* have learned a small lesson there. Add to that, we went to the Eastern Conference Finals and JR has said himself he believes this team is a contender and he has high expectations for this team. Our glaring holes were tremendously evident in the playoffs and even though Seidenberg was a part of that group, losing him does not help. We now have to rely on a bottom 3 of Babchuk, Wallin and Kaberle and one of those guys will be in the top 4. I really don't know how JR can ice that. If he does, it will be complete trial and error. Hope it pans out.

I just think JR has to make a move here to solidify things and finally make them right. Or... close to it..

Old
07-01-2009, 12:47 PM
bleedgreen

well, his idea of "close to it" is usually where we all have the problems with.

Old
07-01-2009, 12:51 PM
Guerzy
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleedgreen View Post
well, his idea of "close to it" is usually where we all have the problems with.
Agreed. That is what is scary with JR. The moves he makes can sometimes really make you shake your head.

It's just our glaring holes seem to evident to ignore here.

I guess I am speaking more from my point of veiw in comparison to what JR is likely to do.. Wishful thinking I guess. Maybe sometimes I use to much common sense when talking about JR. Maybe I should notch it down a bit to his sometimes idiotic, headshaking level.

Old
07-01-2009, 01:00 PM
bleedgreen

well we would certainly be on the same page then! ive been there since 94'ish. its funny to watch fans here not see the patterns that have been evident since day one. the hopeful, just started following the last couple of years types. hope springs eternal.