HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Ville Koistinen?

Old
07-01-2009, 01:29 PM
Clint

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Clint
Ville Koistinen?

Panther fan here. There's a rumor going around that the Panthers have signed Ville Koistinen. In response, the general consensus from Panthers' faithful was:

"Who?"

Can you shed light on the strengths and weaknesses of Koistinen's game?

Thanks.

Clint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2009, 01:34 PM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clint View Post
Panther fan here. There's a rumor going around that the Panthers have signed Ville Koistinen. In response, the general consensus from Panthers' faithful was:

"Who?"

Thanks.
great signing, if you like offensive defensemen who are slow to react, slow of foot, and have inaccurate shots. in short, offensive defensemen who aren't very good offensively

Was supposed to be the heir apparent to Zidlicky, just didn't happen. Terrible defensively, not very good offensively.

He'll surprise you in a shootout here or there, though. Requested a trade after getting benched about halfway through the season, no takers to be had.

barrytrotzsneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2009, 01:56 PM
DManPreds11

All of his grades as a d-man was D or F IMO unless he was on the PP where it jumped up to a C in some catagories like passing and ..... passing. Glad he's gone good luck in Florida especially even strength hockey. Watching him defend against bigger forwards was frustrating to watch, it will be hilarious now.

DManPreds11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2009, 02:08 PM
predfan24

Quote:

"Who?"

Thanks.
IMO and I know I'm in the minority here but I think he never got a fair shake. He was on a short leash and had a subpar year and that spelled out his demise in nashville.

His biggest problem was mental brainfarts with the puck and being able to handle bigger forwards. He has some skills though and he could be effective in the right situation. A project for sure but if he is cheap and on a one year contract I don't think the signing is too bad. No real risk if that is the case.

predfan24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2009, 02:57 PM
DManPreds11

Quote:
Originally Posted by predfan24 View Post
IMO and I know I'm in the minority here but I think he never got a fair shake. He was on a short leash and had a subpar year and that spelled out his demise in nashville.

His biggest problem was mental brainfarts with the puck and being able to handle bigger forwards. He has some skills though and he could be effective in the right situation. A project for sure but if he is cheap and on a one year contract I don't think the signing is too bad. No real risk if that is the case.
Yeah I agree, anbody that's in Trotz so called "system" could really be great in any of the other 29 teams, so he may suprise us all. I like Florida because they have 2 of my all time favorite Preds Vokoun and Skrastins. I hope we sign Skrastins back to replace one of our d-man, now that would be awesome.

DManPreds11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2009, 06:32 PM
Jarnberg

Koistinen is an offensive defenseman who has a good pass, but has a hard time getting his shot on goal. He had a very bad habit of turning the puck over in his time in Nashville. He has a knack for getting beat to the puck because of his speed. He is great in the shootout.

Hopefully for you and for himself a change of scenery does him well.

Jarnberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2009, 05:22 AM
worstfaceoffmanever
What's the Pred say?

Quote:

"Who?"

Thanks.
You wanna hear a joke?

Ville Koistinen!

He's slow, turns the puck over too much, and constantly gets dominated by bigger forwards in front of the net. As long as he doesn't get matched up against powerforwards, he's not that bad defensively. He likes to play the body and he has a strong work ethic, but his lack of forward foot speed is pretty damning.

His shot is okay. Low and hard, but he misses the net a lot. He's not afraid to let it rip, though. He's a good puck handler and distributes it fairly well once in the offensive zone.

I have a feeling you will be disappointed, but VK may shine under a coach like DeBoer, who likes to have defenders join in the attack and be aggressive in the offensive zone.

worstfaceoffmanever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2009, 10:47 AM
jstreet

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by DManPreds11 View Post
Yeah I agree, anbody that's in Trotz so called "system" could really be great in any of the other 29 teams, so he may suprise us all. I like Florida because they have 2 of my all time favorite Preds Vokoun and Skrastins. I hope we sign Skrastins back to replace one of our d-man, now that would be awesome.
I liked Scratch too but he signed in Dallas.

jstreet is offline   Reply With Quote