HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Canucks sign Aaron Rome

Closed Thread

Old
07-01-2009, 02:59 PM
SedinFan*

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to SedinFan*
No issue with him being the #7. A more mobile Davison.

Can't go wrong with defensive depth. Minimal cap hit as well.

Old
07-01-2009, 03:06 PM
Whale

He is just 25, which is young for a defenceman. One year deal, seemed sharp in the interview, if a bit cliche. We need more tweeners (23-26 year olds with something to prove) on this team, and there are other good ones available.

Really want to see us sign Eminger, who is also 25, lots of international and NHL experience, has more potential than anyone defenceman the team has to run the PP. There is also Johnny Boychuk, AHL defenceman of the year last year.

Lukas Kaspar is also available. 23, big body winger with some playmaking skill. Either him or Stewart would be a great younger cheaper Pyatt.

Young players don't know how good they can be, and when you get a group of them believing in each other they make each other better. I hope Gillis targets more young UFA's.

Old
07-01-2009, 03:07 PM
orcatown

Bad Move

Very marginal NHL player. Decent in the AHL. No way he should be a one way deal

Takes money away from getting a legit NHL defenseman,such as Beauchemin and Canucks need every bit of cap room they can get.

Old
07-01-2009, 03:08 PM
Lucbourdon
Kefka cheers for Van

vCash: 50
Honestly wtf gillis do something for gods sakes.

Old
07-01-2009, 03:11 PM
SedinFan*

Send a message via MSN to SedinFan*
Quote:
Originally Posted by orcatown View Post
Bad Move

Takes money away from getting a legit NHL defenseman,such as Beauchemin and Canucks need every bit of cap room they can get.
He's brought in to be the #7. He can be sent down to the AHL. It's a low risk move. A good organizational depth move.

That's it...nothing more to read into.

Old
07-01-2009, 03:15 PM
Slashy McSlewfoot

Quote:
Bad Move

He replaces Davison. Who cares if it's a one-way deal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucbourdon View Post
Honestly wtf gillis do something for gods sakes.
Half way through day ONE of free agency and look at you. This team has some of the worst fans in the league.

Old
07-01-2009, 03:16 PM
Agent007

Quote:
Bad Move

The one way contract is just a gaurantee that he'll get paid 525k for next season. If he get's beat out by someone else for the 7 and 8 spot on the team then he'll go to the Moose.

Old
07-01-2009, 03:17 PM
Outside99*
Sedins off Kas

vCash: 796
Quote:
Originally Posted by YogiCanucks View Post
From Hockey Future

Talent Analysis

Rome is a self-described stay at home defenseman who can add a little offense. He is a strong skater with great positioning and solid puck-handling and passing skills. With his exceptional vision and awareness he can anticipate the play. His offensive game and shot from the point has improved as he has seen increased powerplay time. He can be physical when necessary and plays with a bit of an edge.

Future

His window of opportunity is quickly closing.
This report borders on delusional. How can a guy with no glaring weakness be in the AHL for so many years?

Old
07-01-2009, 03:26 PM
TheCanuckInOttawa

If Aqua family has enough cash to pay minor leaguer a big league money, I would rather want them to spend that cash on front-loaded contacts to sign star players.

Old
07-01-2009, 03:28 PM
maruk14

Quote:
Bad Move

The cap doesn't come into play until final rosters are set so it's too early to make that call.

This move is more of a "meh". No big impact either way. He is either a fill in defenseman up here or making good coin and playing a larger role for the Moose. Whoever said this is like the Krog deal from last year was spot on. How much impact did that move have on our cap?

Old
07-01-2009, 03:40 PM
F A N

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outside99 View Post
This report borders on delusional. How can a guy with no glaring weakness be in the AHL for so many years?
Because he has no overwhelming strengths. A guy who is not good at anything but not bad at anything will likely be a fringe NHL player.

Old
07-01-2009, 03:40 PM
orcatown

Quote:
Originally Posted by BornToBeVanFan View Post
If Aqua family has enough cash to pay minor leaguer a big league money, I would rather want them to spend that cash on front-loaded contacts to sign star players.
Good comment.

Old
07-01-2009, 03:42 PM
Barney Gumble

This move is as bad as Nonis giving Isbister a one way deal. Don't like it at all.

Old
07-01-2009, 03:46 PM
brownbello

Its not terrible. He's a lot more mobile than Davidson. He's actually a great skater for his size. The one way deal means nothing, if they send him to the minors he might be picked up. I think his problem was more development than anything. He's not going to blow you away, but truthfully he's not going to hurt you on the blue line if someone goes down. He's truly a smart hockey player. I've only seen him play in the AHL but I don't think I've ever seen him make a mistake. He doesn't stand out either way. Which isn't bad for a 7th defenseman.

Old
07-01-2009, 03:47 PM
Horrorshow

just because its a i way doesn't mean he can't play for the moose. He just has to clear waivers, and i don't think he has enough NHL experience to qualify for re-entry.

or am i dead wrong on this one? either way, if he stays with the big club then its only to replace davison.

Old
07-01-2009, 03:48 PM
Slashy McSlewfoot

Quote:
How is paying a depth dman "big league money" aka the league minimum comparable to front loading a star UFA several million dollars?

LOL @ "good comment". Because the half a million spent on needed depth is what is keeping Gillis from landing big-name UFA's.

Old
07-01-2009, 03:53 PM
CINCOM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judas View Post

Half way through day ONE of free agency and look at you. This team has some of the worst fans in the league.

I think the Canucks have the worst fanbase in all of sports actually.

Old
07-01-2009, 04:08 PM
The Pucks

I beleive this is officially the longest thread of Aaron Rome's career.

Old
07-01-2009, 04:15 PM
TheCanuckInOttawa

Quote:
How is paying a depth dman "big league money" aka the league minimum comparable to front loading a star UFA several million dollars?

LOL @ "good comment". Because the half a million spent on needed depth is what is keeping Gillis from landing big-name UFA's.
I'm not just talking about 1 signing. I'm just complaining on the fact that the team is reluctant to give out a front loaded contract.

Last year, we had multiple players getting paid NHL money while playing for the AHL team.

Oullette - about $1M
Cowen
Krog - I know that part of his contract was paid by Moose (which means another part was paid by Canucks)
Sanford - for the part of the year

So it seems like to me that the team has enough cash flows to pay over the cap and we all heard that Sedins were looking for a front loaded long term contract averaging $5.25M (63/12).

I know 12 years is just too long but what if they were offered something like 7-8 years front loaded contact averaging $5.5M. It makes the team more flexible dealing with the cap than $6.1M. What if the term is kept at 5 years but the salary is front loaded? It would've given Sedins more incentive to sign at lower cap hit.

Old
07-01-2009, 04:17 PM
pdefenestrator

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tripwyre View Post
On the plus side, it's gonna be awesome having Rome and Pope in the system at the same time.
Good luck not smirking next time you hear that "the Pope is in Rome" on the news.

Old
07-01-2009, 04:19 PM
PuckMunchkin

Quote:
I'm not just talking about 1 signing. I'm just complaining on the fact that the team is reluctant to give out a front loaded contract.

Last year, we had multiple players getting paid NHL money while playing for the AHL team.

Oullette - about $1M
Cowen
Krog - I know that part of his contract was paid by Moose (which means another part was paid by Canucks)
Sanford - for the part of the year

So it seems like to me that the team has enough cash flows to pay over the cap and we all heard that Sedins were looking for a front loaded long term contract averaging $5.25M (63/12).

I know 12 years is just too long but what if they were offered something like 7-8 years front loaded contact averaging $5.5M. It makes the team more flexible dealing with the cap than $6.1M. What if the term is kept at 5 years but the salary is front loaded? It would've given Sedins more incentive to sign at lower cap hit.
Now there I agree.

A team as financially secure as the Nucks should use this tactic.
Front load = player collects profits sooner from investing the money = more money for the player = he can take a smaller amount of cash.

Old
07-01-2009, 04:20 PM
Ernie

Quote:
What's obvious is that they don't want to sign for long terms.

For all we know, they did sign the Sedins to front loaded contracts.

Old
07-01-2009, 04:22 PM
Barney Gumble

Quote:
What if the term is kept at 5 years but the salary is front loaded? It would've given Sedins more incentive to sign at lower cap hit.
IMHO, that would be wishful thinking.

Old
07-01-2009, 04:24 PM
Ernie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barney Gumble View Post
IMHO, that would be wishful thinking.
Not really. It's all the same to them.

I really hope they did sign front loaded contracts. Makes it a bit easier to move them down the road should worst come to worst.

Old
07-01-2009, 04:27 PM
orcatown

Quote:

Spend some time looking at the cap situation and you will see every buck is critical and should be treated at such. Saying tossing around over half a mill. here and there is a non-consideration is idiocy.

We need to solidify this defense with legit NHL defensmen before we give a 1 way deal to 7th type players.

This dopey support for the idea of throwing away half a mill. on basically an AHL player while we are still needing a bona vide NHL player indicates the willingness of Canuck fans to justify any moves made by the team.

People should have a least have the critical facilities to criticize when criticism is obviously justified.

Closed Thread