HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Brian Boucher signs 2 year, $1.8 million (appx. $900k per year)

Old
07-01-2009, 03:26 PM
mikedifr

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson 514 View Post
Funny how Eminger got traded again and then wasn't even given a qualifying offer.
He barely played in Florida, he was brought in as depth...They had one of the better defensive groups in the league. When he was actually given playing time in Tampa he played well.

mikedifr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2009, 03:26 PM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikedifr View Post
Khabibulin just signed for 3.75 per year....We couldnt get Biron for less than that???
We're all going to be pretty pissed when we see the contract Biron gets...and if Emery sucks, then Holmgren is going to have big time egg on his face.

Quote:
As for Eminger, funny how he played pretty well after leaving here.....
So well that he got dumped by Tampa Bay on FLA and was watching games from the press box?

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2009, 03:28 PM
mikedifr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
We're all going to be pretty pissed when we see the contract Biron gets...and if Emery sucks, then Holmgren is going to have big time egg on his face.

So well that he got dumped by Tampa Bay on FLA and was watching games from the press box?
See my post above....Tampa was dumping everyone. He played well in Tampa when given playing time. Florida he didnt do anything.

Dont get me wrong, he is still a 3rd pairing dman, but of all the stupid things this organzation is doing, Eminger is the last one that comes to my mind.

Old
07-01-2009, 03:29 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 1045
Quote:
We could have competed for Anderson, but we signed Emery...the ship had sailed.

And the problem with the final point is that free agency is like musical chairs, you don't want to get caught with nothing at the end of the day...and this wasn't a "risky" signing against the cap, so whatever.

Look no further than Biron to see how cruel free agency can be.
Well, that's fine. If it's the only option then it's the only option. I would have rather seen all the scenarios settle. There seems to be more goalies than teams who want goalies.

Quote:
He showed himself to be an adequate backup in the NHL last season...that's going to earn you at least 925K, which is nothing considering how important the goaltending position is...which is why going cheap as a matter of philosophical approach is such a dumb move by Holmgren.
We'll just have to agree to disagree on how good he actually is. He played on a great team that may or may not have made him look better. He was also pretty bad for a couple of other teams which led him to settling on a AHL contract to begin with.

Stop Feeding the Rumor-Monger

"I wonder if Norstrom has Forsberg's spleen mounted on his wall." - KINGS17

My 50 Favorite Albums of 2014 (sorry it's late)
GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2009, 03:29 PM
DrHamburg

Also have to take into consideration Flyers defense should be much better this year with pronger. With Pronger, Kimo, Parent, and Coburn they should help out a lot and in theory could save the flyers money by not signing a higher priced goalie.

DrHamburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2009, 03:30 PM
bennysflyers16

Quote:

No, you know who is going to be pissed, Marty Biron for being a greedy SOB , He may get less than 1.5 mill this year and it ****ing serves him right,

bennysflyers16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2009, 03:30 PM
TheTaekster

Quote:
Khabibulin just signed for 3.75 per year....We couldnt get Biron for less than that???

As for Eminger, funny how he played pretty well after leaving here.....
Played well...as in got traded again (for the third time that season) to the other Floridian hockey team, only to be a healthy scratch in most games after?

TheTaekster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2009, 03:31 PM
mikedifr

Quote:
Well, that's fine. If it's the only option then it's the only option. I would have rather seen all the scenarios settle. There seems to be more goalies than teams who want goalies.

We'll just have to agree to disagree on how good he actually is. He played on a great team that may or may not have made him look better. He was also pretty bad for a couple of other teams which led him to settling on a AHL contract to begin with.
I disagree with you GKJ that Boucher isnt worth signing. I think he is more than an adequate backup and can get on some crazy hot streaks for you at times....

However, I do agree that they could have waited a bit to see what the big name goalies signed for, especially in hindsight with Khabi signing for only $3.75 per year.

Old
07-01-2009, 03:32 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

Quote:
He barely played in Florida, he was brought in as depth...They had one of the better defensive groups in the league. When he was actually given playing time in Tampa he played well.
Oh ok, when I made that argument when Vaananen left it was "see he sucks, he's not even playing for the Canucks"

Which is fine, but if he's that good I'd think he could force his way into the lineup since he actually has a small bit of big game experience. Florida came close to waiving Nick Boynton because they just wanted him gone also.

Quote:
I disagree with you GKJ that Boucher isnt worth signing. I think he is more than an adequate backup and can get on some crazy hot streaks for you at times....

However, I do agree that they could have waited a bit to see what the big name goalies signed for, especially in hindsight with Khabi signing for only $3.75 per year.
Khabibulin signed for 4 years also. That wasn't going to fly here. If it would have worked cap wise, I'd rather have him than not, but not for 4 years.

Old
07-01-2009, 03:32 PM
mikedifr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bennysflyers16 View Post
No, you know who is going to be pissed, Marty Biron for being a greedy SOB , He may get less than 1.5 mill this year and it ****ing serves him right,
Uhh, do you follow the news???? Biron fired his agent because he wouldnt negotiate with the Flyers. It was his agent being a greedy SOB, not Marty.

Old
07-01-2009, 03:33 PM
ilovetheflyers8

I just realized today that Niittymaki has two Is after the n... whoops

I hope he does well in Atlanta.

Who was Biron's agent?

ilovetheflyers8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2009, 03:36 PM
Jester

Quote:
Name me an unequivocal "backup" in the NHL that hasn't looked bad at times...They're backups for a reason...that's why Nitty is a "backup."

Old
07-01-2009, 03:36 PM
mikedifr

On the other hand, Roloson is getting $5 million per....Ridiculous. Although it was the Islanders

Old
07-01-2009, 03:37 PM
bennysflyers16

Quote:
Uhh, do you follow the news???? Biron fired his agent because he wouldnt negotiate with the Flyers. It was his agent being a greedy SOB, not Marty.
Yes, he fired his agent well before july 1st and still is not signed, So is he a great goalie or greedy ???

Old
07-01-2009, 03:37 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

Roloson is only getting $2.5. It's a 2-year deal.

Old
07-01-2009, 03:38 PM
bennysflyers16

Quote:
On the other hand, Roloson is getting $5 million per....Ridiculous. Although it was the Islanders
2.5 per, and that is a fair deal for Roli.

Old
07-01-2009, 03:38 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

Quote:
Name me an unequivocal "backup" in the NHL that hasn't looked bad at times...They're backups for a reason...that's why Nitty is a "backup."
Well certainly some backups are better than others. That's why they sometimes supplant the #1 goalie, whether it be for the balance of the season, or at times during the season.

Old
07-01-2009, 03:42 PM
mikedifr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bennysflyers16 View Post
2.5 per, and that is a fair deal for Roli.
Well, then sportsnet was wrong...the alert I got said averager annual $5 million

I agree that 2.5 is fair for him if that is the case.

Old
07-01-2009, 03:42 PM
Jester

Quote:
Well certainly some backups are better than others. That's why they sometimes supplant the #1 goalie, whether it be for the balance of the season, or at times during the season.
That doesn't really answer that question...and you have a lot of backups and starters who are in the fringe zone.

Old
07-01-2009, 03:46 PM
TheTaekster

Quote:
Agents work for players. I highly doubt Marty said "go negotiate with the flyers, it's where I'd prefer to be" and his agent said "no, **** that". Marty dug his own grave.

TheTaekster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2009, 03:50 PM
mikedifr

Quote:
Originally Posted by CannonMTG View Post
Agents work for players. I highly doubt Marty said "go negotiate with the flyers, it's where I'd prefer to be" and his agent said "no, **** that". Marty dug his own grave.
If you have a problem with the news, find the person that reported it and email him....I am just telling you what we were told happened.

And if you honestly think that agents always have the interest of their players as their #1 priority you are totally naive....They want money, money and money.

Old
07-01-2009, 03:51 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

Quote:
That doesn't really answer that question...and you have a lot of backups and starters who are in the fringe zone.
It's all a matter of opinion really. A lot of people here like Boucher. Obviously. I could name some guys that are a simple matter of preference and people would just tell me that he'd make more or isn't as better based on opinion. I could much easier name guys I wouldn't take over Boucher (LaBarbera, Fernandez, Gerber...).

Old
07-01-2009, 03:59 PM
BillyShoe1721
Terriers

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to BillyShoe1721
He wasn't my first choice, would've rather had Conklin, Anderson, or Clemmensen. Goaltending is a huge concern right now.

BillyShoe1721 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2009, 04:03 PM
Shoeny

Clemmensen only got 1.2 .....wish they signed him over bouch

BTW what would you rather have Roloson and have Backlund/league min goalie as your back up or Emery and Boucher

Similar money...I trust Roloson over Emery tho

Shoeny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2009, 04:09 PM
mikedifr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoeny View Post
Clemmensen only got 1.2 .....wish they signed him over bouch

BTW what would you rather have Roloson and have Backlund/league min goalie as your back up or Emery and Boucher

Similar money...I trust Roloson over Emery tho
Roloson is as old as dirt though!!