HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Oilers sign Khabibulin (4 years $3,750 per)

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
07-01-2009, 03:48 PM
  #151
Ticonderoga
Registered User
 
Ticonderoga's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: North Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,387
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DisgruntledHawkFan View Post
Edmonton and Chicago are on two entirely different levels when it comes to temperature. Khabi is a solid starting goalie, but he definitely didn't steal a single playoff game for us. Was solid throughout sure, but I'm comfortable going with Huet next year.
Yeah this is not the Khabi of 4 years ago...and Edmontons D will give up alot of shots and is no where near as good as Chicago's.

Also I am glad that he is no longer the Flame killer he used to be...what did we average against him 3.5 goals per game??

Good signing for Edmonton however as they got a solid goaltender...better then Roloson IMO, but not by much.


Last edited by Ticonderoga: 07-01-2009 at 04:11 PM.
Ticonderoga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2009, 03:49 PM
  #152
GDU
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 1,375
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DisgruntledHawkFan View Post
Edmonton and Chicago are on two entirely different levels when it comes to temperature. Khabi is a solid starting goalie, but he definitely didn't steal a single playoff game for us. Was solid throughout sure, but I'm comfortable going with Huet next year.
wow.... what games were u watching, cause he basically stole the calgary series for u and seriously outplayed luongo

GDU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2009, 03:51 PM
  #153
cptjeff
[insert joke here]
 
cptjeff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Washington, DC.
Country: United States
Posts: 8,448
vCash: 501
Quote:
Originally Posted by CMacdonald View Post
Chicago is called the windy city because of politics, not because it's really windy.
It's actually really windy there, but you're right in that it was because of the politicians. But it works really well both ways. The wind blowing off lake michigan is nothing to scoff at, and is rather famous for being cold, strong and screwing with balls hit at Wrigley.

cptjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2009, 03:51 PM
  #154
Teemu
Moderator
 
Teemu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Palatine
Country: United States
Posts: 20,414
vCash: 500
It's a good thing the Oiler brass chose to forget the three years of suckage he gave us before having one good season.

Teemu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2009, 03:51 PM
  #155
Klaus*
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: dead
Country:
Posts: 15,014
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Classy Iggy View Post
Yeah this is not the HKhabi of 4 years ago...and Edmontons D will give up alot of shots and is no where near as good as Chicago's.

Also I am glad that he is no longer the Flame killer he used to be...what did we average against him 3.5 goals per game??

Good signing for Edmonton however as they got a solid goaltender...better then Roloson IMO, but not by much.
He completely stole the Calgary series.

And Edmonton has a fine D.

Klaus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2009, 03:54 PM
  #156
Respect Your Edler
Thank You 52
 
Respect Your Edler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: China
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,221
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Classy Iggy View Post
Yeah this is not the HKhabi of 4 years ago...and Edmontons D will give up alot of shots and is no where near as good as Chicago's.

Also I am glad that he is no longer the Flame killer he used to be...what did we average against him 3.5 goals per game??

Good signing for Edmonton however as they got a solid goaltender...better then Roloson IMO, but not by much.
That's the thing. Chicago might have won those series, but it wasn't because Bulin was shutting the door. He was letting in alot of weak goals but Chicago was able to keep scoring. I'm not sure Edmonton can do that.

Respect Your Edler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2009, 03:56 PM
  #157
DisgruntledHawkFan
Moderator
 
DisgruntledHawkFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Chicago
Country: United States
Posts: 21,569
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to DisgruntledHawkFan
He hardly stole the Calgary series. That series was won due to your offense not doing much, Kipper playing mediocre and a defense that was way too slow for our forwards. Khabi is a solid goalie, and he definitely didn't cost us any playoff games, but he didn't win that series single handedly by any stretch.

DisgruntledHawkFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2009, 03:57 PM
  #158
GDU
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 1,375
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Respect Your Edler View Post
That's the thing. Chicago might have won those series, but it wasn't because Bulin was shutting the door. He was letting in alot of weak goals but Chicago was able to keep scoring. I'm not sure Edmonton can do that.
so if chicago had say.... luongo or kipper in goal they would have swept those series right..... LOL cause neither of those guys let in soft goals

GDU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2009, 03:57 PM
  #159
Central PA Hawk Fan
Registered User
 
Central PA Hawk Fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: York, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 1,896
vCash: 500
Wow, that's quite a paycut, I make more than 4 grand in a month...

Central PA Hawk Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2009, 03:58 PM
  #160
Klaus*
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: dead
Country:
Posts: 15,014
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DisgruntledHawkFan View Post
He hardly stole the Calgary series. That series was won due to your offense not doing much, Kipper playing mediocre and a defense that was way too slow for our forwards. Khabi is a solid goalie, and he definitely didn't cost us any playoff games, but he didn't win that series single handedly by any stretch.
The Blackhawk defense isn't that great either. Left Khabby hanging out to dry many times.

Klaus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2009, 03:58 PM
  #161
Ticonderoga
Registered User
 
Ticonderoga's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: North Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,387
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GDU View Post
wow.... what games were u watching, cause he basically stole the calgary series for u and seriously outplayed luongo

No and No.

Ticonderoga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2009, 03:59 PM
  #162
Ticonderoga
Registered User
 
Ticonderoga's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: North Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,387
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stars and Stripes View Post
The Blackhawk defense isn't that great either. Left Khabby hanging out to dry many times.
Much, much ,much better then the oilers.

Keith, Seabrook, Barker > All the Oilers D

Ticonderoga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2009, 03:59 PM
  #163
Respect Your Edler
Thank You 52
 
Respect Your Edler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: China
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,221
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GDU View Post
so if chicago had say.... luongo or kipper in goal they would have swept those series right..... LOL cause neither of those guys let in soft goals
What's your point, that Chicago was a better team than Calgary or Vancouver in those series? That's still doesn't make Bulin good, which is who you guys signed.

Respect Your Edler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2009, 04:00 PM
  #164
Ticonderoga
Registered User
 
Ticonderoga's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: North Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,387
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Respect Your Edler View Post
That's the thing. Chicago might have won those series, but it wasn't because Bulin was shutting the door. He was letting in alot of weak goals but Chicago was able to keep scoring. I'm not sure Edmonton can do that.
He let alot of weak goals in against Cgy as well.

Good goalie, but not the same goalie as 2004.

Ticonderoga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2009, 04:01 PM
  #165
Vomiting Kermit*
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Edmonton, AB
Country: Canada
Posts: 17,562
vCash: 500
lol @ Flames/Canucks fans coming in here.

What exactly are you trying to accomplish with your posts? We're happy Khabibulin is an Oiler, so you decide to just come in and say he's not good? Durr

Vomiting Kermit* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2009, 04:03 PM
  #166
Ticonderoga
Registered User
 
Ticonderoga's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: North Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,387
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny View Post
lol @ Flames/Canucks fans coming in here.

What exactly are you trying to accomplish with your posts? We're happy Khabibulin is an Oiler, so you decide to just come in and say he's not good? Durr
I said he was good, and he can still compete...better then Roli.

I see your point however as it the same with Oiler/Canuck posters saying Jbo is overrated.

His health is a concern as well.

Ticonderoga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2009, 04:04 PM
  #167
PeterTheGreat
Registered User
 
PeterTheGreat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 7,035
vCash: 500
Pretty good price tag, but 4 years is way too long. I wouldn't have gone more than 2 years, especially since even if he retires it counts against the cap.

PeterTheGreat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2009, 04:04 PM
  #168
Respect Your Edler
Thank You 52
 
Respect Your Edler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: China
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,221
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny View Post
lol @ Flames/Canucks fans coming in here.

What exactly are you trying to accomplish with your posts? We're happy Khabibulin is an Oiler, so you decide to just come in and say he's not good? Durr
We're discussing it in the main forum, it's not like we're in the Oilers forum. It's not terrible, but it's not a step up from Roloson either. The length has potential to be pretty terrible as well if he doesn't work out, because he is over 35.

Respect Your Edler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2009, 04:06 PM
  #169
I Hate Chris Butler
Backlund Fan Club
 
I Hate Chris Butler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Saskatchewan
Country: Canada
Posts: 15,208
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny View Post
lol @ Flames/Canucks fans coming in here.

What exactly are you trying to accomplish with your posts? We're happy Khabibulin is an Oiler, so you decide to just come in and say he's not good? Durr
Did you not see my post the other day?

One Canadian NW team makes a move, the other two criticize it. It's just the way it goes.

I Hate Chris Butler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2009, 04:09 PM
  #170
enthropi
Hiss Hiss (TKA) Hiss
 
enthropi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Beijing, China
Posts: 3,870
vCash: 500
I don't see what's the big deal with the age. Hopefully, Tambellini planned this as front loaded, so the last 1-2 years is no more than 2M per, which makes a buyout around 1-1.25M cap hit for 2-4 years (it is based on the remaining SALARY, not cap hit), sonot the end of the world. Or he can go to the KHL and Oilers suspend him for not showing up. I believe these 2 situations are within the rules, though I'm no CBA specialist.

enthropi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2009, 04:10 PM
  #171
Ticonderoga
Registered User
 
Ticonderoga's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: North Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,387
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stars and Stripes View Post
He completely stole the Calgary series.

And Edmonton has a fine D.
Did you watch that series...even Hawk fans say that wrong.

Ticonderoga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2009, 04:12 PM
  #172
Reality Check
Registered User
 
Reality Check's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 11,070
vCash: 500
So much for Chicago being able to unload Huet's contract on some poor team

Reality Check is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2009, 04:12 PM
  #173
Philly85
Moody'
 
Philly85's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 12,078
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teemu View Post
It's a good thing the Oiler brass chose to forget the three years of suckage he gave us before having one good season.
Hoping for the best I guess.

Philly85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2009, 04:13 PM
  #174
Lounge Act*
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Country:
Posts: 4,282
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by C For Choke View Post
Did you not see my post the other day?

One Canadian NW team makes a move, the other two criticize it. It's just the way it goes.
Exactly, but I had nothing but praise for the Flames signing JayBo so it's a little sad to see certain Canucks/Flames fans crapping all over it. Always the usual suspects too, it's pathetic. Got nothing better to do?

Lounge Act* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2009, 04:19 PM
  #175
Wheatking
Registered User
 
Wheatking's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Country: Canada
Posts: 15,234
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Classy Iggy View Post
Yeah this is not the Khabi of 4 years ago...and Edmontons D will give up alot of shots and is no where near as good as Chicago's.

Also I am glad that he is no longer the Flame killer he used to be...what did we average against him 3.5 goals per game??

Good signing for Edmonton however as they got a solid goaltender...better then Roloson IMO, but not by much.
I don't think anyone will say Roloson didn't play well for the Oilers down the stretch last season but I think most would agree that it was a bit of a hot streak. I would say Roloson on a hot streak is as good as Khabibulin in general.

Wheatking is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:56 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.