HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Capitals sign Knuble 2yr $2.8per

Old
07-01-2009, 04:29 PM
Gustavo Fring
Analytics R4 nerds

vCash: 500
I really want(ed) Kommaserik (sic)!!!!

Gustavo Fring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2009, 04:32 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

Caps fans everywhere are rejoicing. $2.8 mil is perfect to replace Kozlov. Knuble parks his ass in front of the net and cleans up Ovechkin, Semin, Backstrom and Green rebounds. Me likey a LOT. We needed that kind of grit and ability to finish. Awesome signing by McPhee.

CapitalsCupFantasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2009, 04:50 PM
mm6492

Loved him in Philly. A bit much for us, its stinks we will have to play aginst him now....

Good signing by the caps

mm6492 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2009, 05:37 PM
jcflyy97

You will be missed Mike. Good deal for the caps

jcflyy97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2009, 05:51 PM
Giroux tha Damaja

Send a message via AIM to Giroux tha Damaja
Flyers get worse, Caps get better.

Oh well, at least we got Boucher.

Giroux tha Damaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2009, 05:53 PM
Winston Wolf

Good signing for Washington, he'll be a solid addition to their PP, but as someone who's seen quite a bit of Knuble over the last several years, I don't think he makes much sense playing with a guy like Ovechkin even strength, unlike what some people have said here. He worked so well with Mike Richards because Richards is all about slowing the game down in the offensive zone, whereas Ovechkin is all about speed off the rush. That was why outside of short stints, Knuble was never very successful with Carter as his center. When Ovechkin cycles the puck, Knuble will have a lot of success, but outside of that, there'd be too many disadvantages of him playing with Ovechkin even strength. He's too slow to play with a player like Ovechkin outside of the PP, IMO.

Good luck to Knuble in Washington. My favorite Knuble moment was seeing him score the 2OT goal against Washington to put the Flyers up 3-1 last year.

Winston Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2009, 06:21 PM
ph

With the number of shots Ovechkin takes though Knuble is the perfect player to pick up all the rebounds.

I think he will easily score 25-30 again with the caps.

ph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2009, 06:23 PM
Ducksforcup

vCash: 50
Really good value here for the Caps. Great signing for GMGM.

Ducksforcup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2009, 06:25 PM
TransatlanticIce

This is a great addition to the team. IMO, Knuble will be great for getting those "dirty goals" that we seem to never get. With this capacity, we should become a higher-scoring team, and the PP will get a major boost.

TransatlanticIce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2009, 07:01 PM
Ladyfan
Miss you Savvy !

Really Liked Mike K. when he was on the B's.

Good Luck Mike Knuble .

Ladyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2009, 08:26 PM

He's a class player, excellent in front of the net, but don't expect to finish a PP. There's a reason cancelling out a call has become a 'Knuble' in Flyerland.

1865 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2009, 08:29 PM
Backstrom #19
Fire them all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cannon View Post
He's a class player, excellent in front of the net, but don't expect to finish a PP. There's a reason cancelling out a call has become a 'Knuble' in Flyerland.
Don't worry. We have Alex Semin to do that for us.

Backstrom #19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2009, 11:13 PM
WetHog
Out to Lunch

Send a message via MSN to WetHog
Quote:
Originally Posted by MilwaukeesBestIce View Post
Perfect time for one of our GMGM photos.
Saw a good one today in the Washington Post I believe:

The camera does not love good old GMGM.

WetHog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2009, 11:18 PM
Jill Sandwich
Master of Unlocking

Send a message via MSN to Jill Sandwich
Knuble is going to get a ton of goals, both by screening, cleaning up the garbage, and running picks on defenders.

I'll say though, with the lack of discipline I saw from Boudreau's squad this year, I fear for what happens when Knuble heads in there. He's prone to doing really worthless stuff and getting called on it every time. If you're a fan of his team you want to tell him to at least make it worth it. At very least learn to do it away from the ref.

Jill Sandwich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2009, 01:41 AM
Alex28*

Quote:
Originally Posted by init2winit View Post
He will definitely get the first look at the top line, but Bruce doesn't mind switching it up so it doesn't really matter.

But I think people are forgetting how slow Kozlov is. It is not like Ovie hasn't played with a slower RW before. And the patient, slowing the game down style is how Backstrom plays. Backstrom controls the game just as much as Ovie does on that top line and they mesh very well together. It has potential and gives the Caps leadership and net presence that they didn't have before.
Kozlov was actually deceptively fast. Well, not fast, but average to above average at least. He just has a really lazy looking stride but somehow managed to get to the at the right place in the right time and outmaneuver half a team while doing so. More than adequate at board work, very good at carrying the puck through high traffic areas (something that line really needs), good vision. He was the perfect complementary player technique-wise, though lacked the heart to carry a team.

I'm happy for the signing but I honestly don't see him as a great fit with on the top line. Clark worked with OV and Zubrus because Hanlon was the coach back then. Nylander would probably be an 80 point player under him. Knuble seems like a good fit the line with Semin, to bring extra toughness and since Semin likes to slow the game down himself. At this point Kotalik seems like a better fit with OV and Backstrom, though maybe I'm wrong. Either way, we're now much closer to where we are last year and a 2nd line center is top priority.

Alex28* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2009, 02:11 AM
Miss Mess

Bah I'm bummed that he left the Flyers.

I'm sure he will be happy and kick ass in DC.

Miss Mess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2009, 02:31 AM
Alex28*

Quote:
Originally Posted by init2winit View Post
Kozlov is slow compared to Ovechkin, which is who people keep saying Knuble will be too slow to keep up with. My point was that no one would say Kozlov could keep up with Ovechkin's speed, but he still managed to put together a decent performance. (Can someone say something objective about a Russian player without trying to be corrected by you? ) Kozlov was great when he wanted to be, but that was too infrequent for the first line.

So would you have Semin switch back to LW? I think Knuble would be more effective on the first line since a lot more rebounds are probably produced on that line than the second. Semin is fancier and doesn't rely as much on just getting the puck to the net and letting a teammate clean it up. I guess it will come down to Clark and Knuble both getting a shot to see which one has better chemistry.
Hey what do you expect when you bash my homies? :p

I am completely for Semin switching back to LW. When he plays RW he plays as a more of a Kozlov like support player. When he plays LW on his own line he shows flashes of a player capable to offensively take it over a game and make it his *****. Probably has to do with his natural LW upbringing and having the boards to his left while stickhandling to the right gives him more protective curl and drag opportunities and makes it easier for him to cut through the center. Basically, the things Ovechkin does at LW that he can't do nearly as well at right. My master plan was to form a top 6 by getting Ovechkin a Koivu (Zubrus on crack) type center and a Kotalik (ideally Callahan but that's beyond a pipe dream) type RW, and Semin a Backstrom type center and a Knuble type RW. Then have 2 elite top 6's each of which can step in and produce like it's nobody's business. We're 1/3 of the way there.

The thing is, Kozlov was slightly faster than Knuble is, and has always been a pretty highly skilled player (poor man's Lemieux at one time before people found out he was a zombie of a poor man's Lemieux). His sole job was making life easy for Ovechkin and Backstrom, and it showed when he was with them as opposed to without them. Knuble is a great junkyard dog but it seems those players don't thrive at even strength under Boudreau due to his aversion to the cycling game and worship of the rush. I fear that next year we'll be accustomed to seeing Ovechkin tear into the zone, release one of his wristbombs, have it recovered and going the other way, and the Knuble arriving for backup. Hopefully I'm wrong.

If Hanlon was still the coach, Ovechkin Nylander Knuble would probably be the top line in the league. Though the rest of the team would suck.

Alex28* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2009, 06:27 AM
mja
Negative Creep

Good signing by the Caps. Knuble also is a master at deflections, so you have that going for you, too.

However, Knuble isn't a "tough" player. He's a gentle giant more than willing to expose his body to all sorts of punishment, but he doesn't dish it out himself.

mja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2009, 07:24 AM
brs03
Coo coo ca cha!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mja View Post
Good signing by the Caps. Knuble also is a master at deflections, so you have that going for you, too.

However, Knuble isn't a "tough" player. He's a gentle giant more than willing to expose his body to all sorts of punishment, but he doesn't dish it out himself.
If he does end up playing with Ovie that's obviously not an issue. We'd need him to take the abuse along the boards/in front of the net, but Ovie's the guy that would be dishing it out on that line regardless.

brs03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2009, 07:48 AM
Chimaera
same ol' Caps

vCash: 600
as far as needing to slow down the game to compliment Knuble, I think Backstrom does enough of that.

As long as Knuble can glide into the traffic areas and camp out front, he's going to be fine.

Chimaera is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2009, 09:12 AM
DUHockey9

Quote:
Originally Posted by mja View Post
For the most part that's true, but he also isn't afraid to mix it up and come to the aid of his teammates.

DUHockey9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2009, 04:16 PM
Professor Dangles

This is exactly what Washington needed and probably one of the top three signings of day one

Good signing.

Professor Dangles is offline   Reply With Quote