HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Are you Happy with the Moves Today?

Old
07-01-2009, 06:00 PM
odishabs

vCash: 500
Agree On everything I like the team as is and mark my words Price will step it up this year with a beeter defence in front of him!

odishabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
GoHabsGO252006

According to my calculations after RFAs we still have 10 - 11 million to spend. That means we might be able to squeenze in 4.5 for Beauchemin and 5.5 - 6.5 for Havlat / Gaborik.

One can hope, then I will feel very confident about this team.

GoHabsGO252006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Jakomyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr_Hook View Post
yeah congratulation to us ! We finally are the smallest softest team in the league
Sure, we didn't get any bigger, but we have basically replaced Tanguay & Koivu with Cammalleri and Gomez. If anything, we stayed about the same size, got faster, grittier and younger.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nittany View Post
We NEED at least 2 more wingers.
Two would be nice, but I think we only really need 1.

We have Cammalleri & A. Kostitsyn that are top 6 for sure. Then we have guys like Pacioretty, S. Kostitsyn, Latendresse & D'Agostini would could step up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mabus View Post
Perhaps, until next year when Gainey waits until the very last second to offer contracts again and lets ANOTHER 2 or 3 core players go (as he seems to do EVERY season). And this time with 12 mill tied up in Gomez and Spacek, preventing us from replacing then.
Ugh... would you get over yourself. Every team loses FAs every year. If they didn't, there wouldn't be any UFA on the market right now. We made our offers for guys like Souray, Streit & Ryder and they didn't fit into the team's plans.

Its funny how most people on these boards were waving goodbye to these guys at the time, but now are all pissed off for some reason. Keep in mind that it was partly their decision too. Just because Gainey might want to sign someone, doesn't mean they want to stay. I think Komisarek is a good example of this.

Last edited by Jakomyte: 07-01-2009 at 06:06 PM.
Jakomyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2009, 06:02 PM
JGRB
#EllerThugLife

Absolutely agreed on all counts!

If we can sign Havlat to top this off, I will be absolutely FLOORED.

I'd like to see Kovy back, but if we can get Havlat for 6.5-7 over Kovy at 4.5-5... I'd do it.

Kovy is an excellent Plan B though, or Plan A/B.

JGRB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2009, 06:03 PM
odishabs

Personally I think our best bet to add another forward is one of Havlat and Gionta.

Havlat- lives in Montreal in the off-season and is good friends with Tomas Plekanec
Gionta- Would complete the smallest line in the league (cammy,gomer,gio) , and we all know he has great chemistry with Gio

Which one do you like better

Camalleiri - Gomez - Gionta
Kostitsyn- Plekanec - Havlat

or

Camalleiri - Gomez - Kovalev
Kostitsyn - Pleks - Kostitsyn

Old
07-01-2009, 06:04 PM

I love what Gainey's done so far...

I loved the Gomez move (though the contract will always be difficult to accept), loved the Spacek/Cammalleri signing, Gill i've never been a big fan of but I understand the need, brings some toughness we're losing with Komi.

I wanted a change to the core of this team and that's what happened...good

417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2009, 06:04 PM
King Woodballs
MVP! MVP! MVP!

vCash: 50
I think Gainey has done a resonable job today.
No huge name UFA's ever want to sign in Montreal, so he has done what he can.

King Woodballs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2009, 06:05 PM
odishabs

Quote:
Originally Posted by JGRB View Post
Absolutely agreed on all counts!

If we can sign Havlat to top this off, I will be absolutely FLOORED.

I'd like to see Kovy back, but if we can get Havlat for 6.5-7 over Kovy at 4.5-5... I'd do it.

Kovy is an excellent Plan B though, or Plan A/B.
If we get Havlat I would have to believe he plays along side Pleks and AK46

Kostitsyn- Plekanec -Havlat
Camalleiri- Gomez -D'Ago

Old
07-01-2009, 06:06 PM
mlandry

If we can sign/resign another good forward I think we are going to have a good year. I'm pretty happy with the signings overall. Some people are just never happy.

Gomez : C+: overpaid, but we had the money
Cammaleri : A, we needed this type of player, that can score more than once every 10 games
Gill : B- : Not a great player but I think he isn't as bad as people make him out to be.
Spacek : B+ : Good D, age might get an issue

mlandry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2009, 06:07 PM
milkshow

I'm extremely happy because yesterday I didn't think we'd get plays like Gomez or Cammy

milkshow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Little Nilan

Send a message via AIM to Little Nilan
Quote:
Originally Posted by 417 View Post
I love what Gainey's done so far...

I loved the Gomez move (though the contract will always be difficult to accept), loved the Spacek/Cammalleri signing, Gill i've never been a big fan of but I understand the need, brings some toughness we're losing with Komi.

I wanted a change to the core of this team and that's what happened...good
The team will be completely different that's for sure. Now, let's see how Captain Lecavalier does in Montreal .

Little Nilan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Ape Clutch

Send a message via MSN to Ape Clutch Send a message via Yahoo to Ape Clutch
Quote:
Originally Posted by odishabs View Post
If we get Havlat I would have to believe he plays along side Pleks and AK46

Kostitsyn- Plekanec -Havlat
Camalleiri- Gomez -D'Ago
Camalleri-Gomez-Havlat
S. Kost/Patches/G. Lats - Pleky - A. Kost

Ape Clutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Vasculio
Booya !

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoHabsGO252006 View Post
According to my calculations after RFAs we still have 10 - 11 million to spend. That means we might be able to squeenze in 4.5 for Beauchemin and 5.5 - 6.5 for Havlat / Gaborik.

One can hope, then I will feel very confident about this team.
We would have Markov, Hamrlik, Beauchemin, Spacek, Gorges, Gill... then we have O'Byrne, Weber, perhaps Subban and Carle as youngsters...

Assuming we do sign Beauchemin (which would be great IMO), I wouldn't be against trading Hamrlik (does he have a NTC ?), to an overpaid forward... dunno, like Penner ? It would upgrade our size up front, which is kind of laughable right now...

Penner is just a name I saw earlier on Habs board, just an idea...

I still hope for Havlat !

Vasculio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
7th Player

Again, I would love Gaborik!
But I don't know if the effect of the cap next year will come back and haunt us :s

7th Player is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2009, 06:08 PM
dcyhabs

Saw a report that Kovalev was close to signing 9 mil/ 2 years. Forget the source (here?) so may or may not mean anything.

I guess Komi chose one of:
1. Hates Montreal fans, signed to piss them off
2. Pissed off that Gainey chose not to resign him, signed to piss him off
3. Could not get 4.5 mil long term anywhere else

If it was option 1. it explains him and the team tanking last year, and also why Gainey chose to clean house so completely.

Next year is likely a development year as all these guys learn to play together. The following year, when they may add Maxwell and Subban (and maybe others) will be the real deal.

dcyhabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2009, 06:08 PM
milkshow

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlandry View Post
If we can sign/resign another good forward I think we are going to have a good year. I'm pretty happy with the signings overall. Some people are just never happy.

Gomez : C+: overpaid, but we had the money
Cammaleri : A, we needed this type of player, that can score more than once every 10 games
Gill : B- : Not a great player but I think he isn't as bad as people make him out to be.
Spacek : B+ : Good D, age might get an issue
Agree, hopefully Gomez can bring that up to a B even with that contract.

milkshow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2009, 06:09 PM
mytor4*

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeg View Post
With a lot of the negativity around here, and some positive threads I wanted to add to the flow and post something positive about why I am giddy right now.

1) I don't think I have ever, in my 32 years of existence witnessed a July 1st where we were so active. It's nice to see your team making headlines as opposed to being beaten to the punch on every signing.

2) I love the fact that we finally took a risk and traded an asset to get an upgrade. Gainey did it in Dallas when he traded Iginla for Nieuendyk and it got him a cup. This is by no means the same situation, but it's things that teams who want to contend must do.

3) I think pairing Cammilerri with Gomez might work well. You get two proven guys, one who is a good setup guy, and one guy who has proven he can finish.

4) I love what he's done with the D. We've gone from having shrimpy depth, to veteran depth. Spacek will be a workhorse, who will put up points and not be a liability, and Gill gives you a big (yes slow) and reliable defesensive defenceman. He can do what Komi did, at 1/2 the price.

5) On paper we are a better team than last year. Say whatever you want about McDonaugh, the kid has yet to prove himself at a professional level. All you can ask from your GM is that he improve upon what was done last year, and like it or not, Gainey has done just that.

6) Despite my giddiness, we are still missing 2 or 3 key ingredients to being a legitimate contender. We depserately need a big centre, a reliable defenceman to play on the right hand side

7) We still have lots of cap space to sign our RFA's, and another guy like Havlat, Gaborik, etc. However if we sign Kovalev, then we can pretty much forget those guys. That, ultimately is going to be one tough choice.

Mike
Does anybody know how many players are actually signed and how much cap space we have left.

mytor4* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2009, 06:12 PM
supertzar

I'm excited that Gainey did show the vision to bring in a playmaking center and a pure sniper for finishing purposes. I have to say I was pissed yesterday, but now we absolutely have a better first line than last year.

However, as everyone points out-We need one more winger for the second line. Likely will be Kovalev. It would be awesome to get Havlat though!

supertzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2009, 06:30 PM
mikeg

It feels like we are done for today.

I hope tomorrow is just as exciting. There are still some big names out there!

mikeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2009, 06:32 PM
BaseballCoach

Quote:
Originally Posted by geeman View Post
I warned all of you , this team will be ripped up , and it has so far .

Bob has a few more tricks up his sleeve, our skill level is much improved , now we need some ballz to fill in the skill.

will it work who knows , but clearly Gomez and Cams are a huge HUGE UPGRADE

to the crap we had last year , we may have our first 80 point players since when Damphousse ???

Spacek and Gill are better than Komi at 4.5 hands down .

All we need now is Max, the kosty boys , and Dags to take it up one notch
I'm generally ready to see how it will work out, especially if Kovy comes back.

By the way, he is the answer to your "???" It was 84 points in 2007-2008

BaseballCoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2009, 06:33 PM
Pascal

Yea we got Spacek and Cam and Gomez but we also lost Koivu/Tanguay/Komi/Higgins/Schneider/Lang and maybe even Kovalev. So it's not all straight up upgrades.. it's almost sideways in a lot of ways. I don't think we're that much better than last season if at all.

Pascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2009, 06:38 PM
MM425

Quote:
Originally Posted by lillypad33 View Post
I wonder about some things...

1) Is Gomez that much better than Saku? Would 4.5 have gotten Saku signed? 3 million is a good player now a days...

2) Is Cammalieri that much better than Alex Tanguay? I'm sure that AT would have signed for long term at 4.5....

3) Can the Habs fill the muscle void left by Komisarek. I am sure that the D can clear the zone better now....but they need some muscle...
I can help you out!

1) Yes. I love Saku to death but realistically he's been on the decline now for a while. Player for player, Gomez is much better.
2) Yes... for the fact that Cammalieri can actually put the puck in the net and isn't afraid to go into the corners.
3) Hal Gill pretty much fills Komi's void in the muscle/shot blocking department. Perhaps not as good as Komi but they'll play the same role essentially. Up front is a different story.

MM425 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2009, 06:41 PM
les Habs

Horrible 24 hours. We went sideways at best. Should have seen it coming.

les Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2009, 06:41 PM
Shabutie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pascal View Post
Yea we got Spacek and Cam and Gomez but we also lost Koivu/Tanguay/Komi/Higgins/Schneider/Lang and maybe even Kovalev. So it's not all straight up upgrades.. it's almost sideways in a lot of ways. I don't think we're that much better than last season if at all.
Again....said it about 100 times today. It is not October yet...this is NOT our final roster.

Shabutie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2009, 06:42 PM
fredez

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pascal View Post
As much as I love Koivu and Lang, a center depth of Gomez-Cammalleri-Plekanec-Lapierre is better than Koivu-Plekanec-Lang-Lapierre

I thought the Gomez trade was horrible but Bob made up for it in a big way today and if we had to give up McDonagh to get Gomez and lure Cammalleri in the process, than goodbye Ryan!

Spacek will solidify our Top-4 and replace Schneider on the PP and Gill will replace one of Bouillon or Dandy (2.4M is bit too much for Gill though). The loss of Komisarek will certainly hurt and his physical presence will have to be replaced which can be done by bringing in Beauchemin (who has more offensive upside than Komi).

My wishlist for the rest of free agency = A top winger (Kovalev) and a solid top-4 D (Beauchemin).

fredez is offline   Reply With Quote