HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Flyers sign Ian Laperriere 3 years $1.167M per

Old
07-01-2009, 04:55 PM
Lab Monkey

vCash: 500
I like this signing Laperriere is a tough cookie and will bring even more heart to this team. As mentioned in other posts though I hope to not see Giroux playing with him. Hopefully Claude gets a chance in the top 6

Lab Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2009, 05:08 PM
TheDrizzle81

Send a message via AIM to TheDrizzle81
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lab Monkey View Post
I like this signing Laperriere is a tough cookie and will bring even more heart to this team. As mentioned in other posts though I hope to not see Giroux playing with him. Hopefully Claude gets a chance in the top 6
I dont like Claude as a center anyway. Wouldnt mind seeing him in Lupuls spot on the Carter line. Maybe move a defencman (carle/jones) and pick up a 3rd line center. Wont hear me *****!

TheDrizzle81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2009, 05:14 PM
dedhed

Welcome to Philly, Lappy!!

We're gonna love this guy!!

Now can we say goodbye to Cote?

dedhed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2009, 05:17 PM
miltons rules

He also has the best nose (or what's left of one) in the NHL

miltons rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2009, 05:21 PM
claude boivin lives
flat out spectacular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milton rules View Post
He also has the best nose (or what's left of one) in the NHL
His nose is hands down the best in the league. Thing looks like a dog's hind leg. It's better than Brindy's.

claude boivin lives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2009, 05:27 PM
Foppa2118

vCash: 50
You guys will love Lappy. Heart and soul type player, that will give everything he has to a team. He's getting up there in age, but still plays very well defensively, and can chip in some points with the right linemates.

Depending on your depth, he's probably better suited for a 4th line role, but he has the hockey smarts in all three zones to possibly play wing on the 3rd line. If not, he can play all three forward spots on the 4th line, and be an efficient penalty killer.

He's good for around 20 points, but if he's put in a bit more of an offensive role, he could contribute more. He put in a 21 goal, 24 assist season his first year in Colorado, but then was snakebit at the begining of the following season, despite still getting numerous chances, so he kinda settled back into a more traditional defensive checking role. If he does end up scoring more, expect to hear him sarcastically brag about being a big scorer in junior.

He's also very active in the community, and is one of the best interviews you'll get from your players. Very funny, up beat, and smiling all the time, and always seems like the kind of guy who could get along with anyone. He'll become a fan favorite pretty quickly, especially given the fact that he's the first guy to stick up for a teammate. He doesn't really fight heavyweights, but he usually fights guys bigger then him, and does pretty well given he's a pretty smart fighter.

The rumored three years may be a bit too long, but the value is ok at $1,166,667. He'll be 37 going into his last year, and with his smart play, and leadership, it's possible he could still be worth it by then, depending on the cap, and how up against it you guys are. Enjoy him in Philly, he'll be missed by Avs fans.

Foppa2118 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2009, 05:29 PM
TheDrizzle81

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foppa2118 View Post
You guys will love Lappy. Heart and soul type player, that will give everything he has to a team. He's getting up there in age, but still plays very well defensively, and can chip in some points with the right linemates.

Depending on your depth, he's probably better suited for a 4th line role, but he has the hockey smarts in all three zones to possibly play wing on the 3rd line. If not, he can play all three forward spots on the 4th line, and be an efficient penalty killer.

He's good for around 20 points, but if he's put in a bit more of an offensive role, he could contribute more. He put in a 21 goal, 24 assist season his first year in Colorado, but then was snakebit at the begining of the following season, despite still getting numerous chances, so he kinda settled back into a more traditional defensive checking role.

He's also very active in the community, and is one of the best interviews you'll get from your players. Very funny, up beat, and smiling all the time, and always seems like the kind of guy who could get along with anyone. He'll become a fan favorite pretty quickly, especially given the fact that he's the first guy to stick up for a teammate. He doesn't really fight heavyweights, but he usually fights guys bigger then him, and does pretty well given he's a pretty smart fighter.

The rumored three years may be a bit too long, but the value is ok at $1,166,667. He'll be 37 going into his last year, and with his smart play, and leadership, it's possible he could still be worth it by then, depending on the cap, and how up against it you guys are. Enjoy him in Philly, he'll be missed by Avs fans.
Nice assesment dude, and 22 acacia avenue is EPIC.

Old
07-01-2009, 05:50 PM
Juicy Couturier*
CannonGoBoom

Send a message via AIM to Juicy Couturier*
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikedifr View Post
Is that even strength time, or total ice time??? A lot of that could have been PK time....

He is 35 years old, and a guy who has palyed his ass off night in and night out for years.....regardless of what he did the past couple years his numbers are going on the downside, not up If this signing was 2-3 years ago I would have said definite 3rd liner....Now, I rather see Carcillo on the third line and Lappy with Asham on the 4th.

It also depends on how they structure their lines. If the 3rd line is more of a defensive line, he isnt putting up much more than that, if it includes one of Carter/Richards/Grioux....maybe.
I dont know how much PK time he had but I doubt he was a primary PKer since he was the one in the box pretty often. Either way, 14 minutes a game isnt a 4th liner.

I think we will see him as well as a few others playing both 3rd and 4th line roles. I think whoever is the hot hand between Laperriere, Carcillo, Asham and Powe will be taking up some time on the 3rd line.

I wouldnt be surprised to see the top 2 lines stay the same for the most part all season but the bottom 2 changing depending on whos playing well and whats working at the time. maybe something like.

gagne-Richards-briere
Hartnell-Carter-Giroux
Carcillo-Laperriere-JVR
Cote-Powe-Asham

Pronger-Coburn
Kimmo-Parent
Carle-Jones/Alberts

either way it seems like Homer is trying to fix the leadership problems of last year and bring in some good vets to smack the kids around a little bit when they decide to stay out until 3am when they have a sunday afternoon game the next day. With Pronger and now Laperrier we just picked up 2 more vets that have been wearing letters on their jerseys which is a good thing.

Last edited by Juicy Couturier*: 07-01-2009 at 05:56 PM.
Juicy Couturier* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2009, 06:09 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 5792
Quote:
Originally Posted by CannonGoBoom View Post
I dont know how much PK time he had but I doubt he was a primary PKer since he was the one in the box pretty often. Either way, 14 minutes a game isnt a 4th liner.
Laperriere led all Avs forwards in SH TOI/G by a good 30 seconds. Although that's not saying much looking at some of the guys behind him.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2009, 06:10 PM
teegale
Hartnell Down!

There won't be a single NHL fan that roots for the Flyers outside of Philadelphia next year...at least that's for sure.

teegale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2009, 06:12 PM
Foppa2118

Quote:
Originally Posted by CannonGoBoom View Post

I think we will see him as well as a few others playing both 3rd and 4th line roles. I think whoever is the hot hand between Laperriere, Carcillo, Asham and Powe will be taking up some time on the 3rd line.

I wouldnt be surprised to see the top 2 lines stay the same for the most part all season but the bottom 2 changing depending on whos playing well and whats working at the time. maybe something like.

gagne-Richards-briere
Hartnell-Carter-Giroux
Carcillo-Laperriere-JVR
Cote-Powe-Asham

Pronger-Coburn
Kimmo-Parent
Carle-Jones/Alberts

either way it seems like Homer is trying to fix the leadership problems of last year and bring in some good vets to smack the kids around a little bit when they decide to stay out until 3am when they have a sunday afternoon game the next day. With Pronger and now Laperrier we just picked up 2 more vets that have been wearing letters on their jerseys which is a good thing.
He was on the Avs 1st PK unit, during most if not all of his tenure in Colorado. While not a speedy guy, he relies more on his smarts, and ability to time shot blocks, get in shooting lanes, and win one on one battles for the puck. Not sure how he ranks in terms of what your PK options are already though.

He was used mainly as a 4th liner in his last couple seasons, but his PK time, and the amount of injuries the Avs faced last year increased his ice time.

Foppa2118 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2009, 06:17 PM
Opus

Laperriere is an awesome shot blocker.

Opus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2009, 06:20 PM
shamski7

Send a message via AIM to shamski7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opus View Post
Possible line?

Carcillo - Richards - Laperriere

Solid defensive line, and they would surprise some with the offense they would provide. Biggest issue with this line would be size, Lapperiere being the biggest man at 6'-1".
i dont want carcillo anywhere near a checking role

shamski7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2009, 06:21 PM
Jules801
Just Some Broad

I put this in the other thread, but now I remember why I was familiar with his name..

Jules801 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2009, 06:24 PM
Opus

Quote:
Originally Posted by shamski7 View Post
i dont want carcillo anywhere near a checking role
He's better than what we saw from him last season. He cycles the puck well along the boards and is a decent skater. He's also got decent speed and will always finish his checks.

The key to Carcillo, is him keeping his head.

Old
07-01-2009, 06:25 PM
Hockeypete49
How you like me now!

Quote:
Originally Posted by silver surfer View Post
I love this signing. A guys who plays every shift and has a lot of grit...I think this is a great move.
I agree with you 100% He will be a fan favorite. Man this team will be tough to play against next year.

Hockeypete49 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2009, 06:28 PM
jfc64

Wow, he settled for 3.5/3...could have got way more. He must love Philadelphia. Quality player, quality guy. Yep, fan fav in Denver.

jfc64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2009, 06:30 PM
Freudian
Patty likes beef

Lappy is great. He works hard. He is a leader. He will always fight to stand up for his team mates even though he isn't all that great at it. He is very useful at cycling the puck down low.

He will be a fan favourite.

Last edited by Freudian: 07-01-2009 at 06:39 PM.
Freudian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2009, 06:38 PM
Cleary84

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jules801 View Post
I put this in the other thread, but now I remember why I was familiar with his name..

First thing I thought of after the signing!

I hope he moves to Philly quickly so he can see that billboard! He'll probably laugh, he seems like a cool cat.

Cleary84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2009, 06:40 PM
Opus

Quote:
Originally Posted by claude boivin lives View Post
His nose is hands down the best in the league. Thing looks like a dog's hind leg. It's better than Brindy's.
Ian Laperriere screams 'hockey player'...

What a stud.

Old
07-01-2009, 06:41 PM
jfc64

Probably the most rock solid team I seen the last couple of seasons, except in goal. Now the top players must show some flair.

Gagne - Richards - Giroux
JVR - Carter - Hartnell
Carcillo - Briere - Nodl
Cote - Powe - Lappy

Parent - Pronger
Kimono - Jones
Carle - Coburn

jfc64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2009, 06:43 PM
Cleary84

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfc64 View Post
Probably the most rock solid team I seen the last couple of seasons, except in goal. Now the top players must show some flair.

JVR - Carter - Hartnell
Carcillo - Briere - Nodl
Cote - Powe - Lappy

Parent - Pronger
Kimono - Jones
Carle - Coburn
I'd replace Cote with Asham, and I don't want Coburn anywhere near the 3rd pairing.

Cleary84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2009, 06:55 PM
TheDrizzle81

I remeber why I signed up for this forum. people on facebook on the Flyers group are dumbasses. Everyone here atleast has a damn brain lmao.

Old
07-01-2009, 06:56 PM
mm6492

Quote:

JVR - Carter - Hartnell
Carcillo - Briere - Nodl
Cote - Powe - Lappy

Parent - Pronger
Kimono - Jones
Carle - Coburn
As of now IMO......

Gagne-Richards-Giroux
Hartnell-Carter-Briere
Nodl-Powe-Carcillo
Lappy-Kalinski-Asham

Timonen-Parent
Pronger-Coburn
Carle-Jones

I think we need to get rid of Jones and add a new d-man. And a 3rd line center

mm6492 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2009, 06:59 PM
teegale
Hartnell Down!

Quote:

JVR - Carter - Hartnell
Carcillo - Briere - Nodl
Cote - Powe - Lappy

Parent - Pronger
Kimono - Jones
Carle - Coburn
Someone getting paid 6+ million a season should not be anywhere near the 3rd line... If they put Briere with Carcillo and Nodl I'll shoot myself in the face.

teegale is offline   Reply With Quote