HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Are you Happy with the Moves Today?

Old
07-01-2009, 08:13 PM
MicroFracture

vCash: 500
Is it weird that I'm not very happy?
I mean I'm not mad, Bob was able to sign big names and everything.
But right now, I'm not excited at all to be a Habs fan.It feels a bit empty.

MicroFracture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2009, 08:14 PM
snoozy

I dont understand why so many are complaining. We got younger, we got 3 guys that can possibly play for .80 per game or more...the same age as the sedins...and the same average....we were willing to spend 12 mill for the 2 players for 5 6 years..we pay 11 for camm and gionta. We got a good speedy center..and we got a big D (slow but big ) who can actually drop the gloves and put fear along with stewart and Laraque. We have a 2 guys that can put 40 goals with Gomez. We have a second line who was on fire 2 years ago..minus Kovi (but I think they will surprise this year)...We also got Spacek who can play off and def on D and can support our PP especially if Markov gets hurt again...If you ask me...we are 10 time btter than last year. Who the ^%&^ cares abou their height?? Does St-louis still play on fire and plays well??? This guys are players..not fragile. I am french canadian and I am sooo tired about peoploe complaining about the language french players and size of the players. I cant wait till this guys play and make us a top team in the NHL and we go far in the playoffs and alll these guys come back and say we are good and we know we were even though they coplaining now. Thgis is sooooo full...especially CKAC talking and complaining...Anyways, I am happy with what they didthis year. By the way..i Detroit 6'5 250 pound average? I wish people would thik before they talk. OK>>I am sorry guys..just needed to vent..

snoozy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2009, 08:27 PM
theboss*

smurf Team

theboss* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2009, 08:28 PM
LeMAD

bad team

LeMAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2009, 08:28 PM
MathMan

Hell of a makeover. This is not the same Canadiens at all. It's a completely different team.

In two days, Gainey went out and got himself an entire first line with three guys with 30-goal, 80-point seasons on their resumes. Odds are they won't all get that, but it's still a lot of talent. So much for Gainey sleeping on UFA day.

In isolation the moves don't all look good. As a group, on the other hand...

Take Gomez. I hated that move. I'm still skeptical. But the Habs got Cammalleri and Gionta out of it, both of whom Gomez has to have factored in. If Gomez is good enough to incite UFAs to come to Montreal, I'll have to admit that a- the deal was useful beyond getting Gomez for a huge cap hit and b- Gomez might well be significantly better than I give him credit for.

Now add Gionta. By himself, a 25-goal smurf. With Gomez? He just might be a 48-goal smurf, and I could live with that. It's been known to happen. At the very least, we've got ready-made chemistry.

Cammalleri is just a great young player, a fine sniper to go with playmaker Gomez. That signing is good on his own, but Gionta is enough of a threat that opponents can't just key on him and neutralize the entire line.

Three notable things about the signings today:
- The Habs added talented players who CHOSE to come to Montreal.
- The Habs got younger up front. Gionta is 30, Gomez 30, Cammy 27. Added to Pleky, Lats, and the Kostitsyns, this is a good young core.
- The Habs got durable players. Most of these guys don't get hurt much.

I'm worried about size... but Gainey went out and got talent. And speed. Sooooo much speed.

The Habs were supposed to be a fast team? They're gonna look like lethargic snails compared to this bunch.

MathMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2009, 08:29 PM
elsubz

I was happy until we signed Gionta. Thats plain horrible.

elsubz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2009, 08:30 PM
Cyrrus147

I'm extremely happy ! Our core is now much more talented and the clean up is finally done.

Cyrrus147 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2009, 08:32 PM
Vlad The Impaler

Quote:
Originally Posted by snoozy View Post
I dont understand why so many are complaining. We got younger, we got 3 guys that can possibly play for .80 per game or more...the same age as the sedins...and the same average....we were willing to spend 12 mill for the 2 players for 5 6 years..we pay 11 for camm and gionta.
You don't see how that sucks?

Quote:
We got a good speedy center..and we got a big D (slow but big ) who can actually drop the gloves and put fear along with stewart and Laraque.
The only place Hal Gill will put fear is in the heart of Montreal fans when players fly by that pylon. Yes, Hal Gill can drop the gloves... and more often than not gets embarassed by people 50 pounds lighter and much shorter than him.

Hal Gill is a poor fighter and a poor hitter. You can't hit very well if you can't skate.

Quote:
Who the ^%&^ cares abou their height?? Does St-louis still play on fire and plays well??? This guys are players..not fragile.
Players with all sorts of qualities are needed. There are lots of amazing small players in this league. But that doesn't mean you take a team that has struggled with intensity and size and make it even smaller!

The Tampa Bay Lightning were very happy with St.Louis the year they won the cup. But that doesn't mean they had a team full of smallish guys. Look at their roster at the time if you don't believe me.

Vlad The Impaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2009, 08:33 PM
Dogbert*

Send a message via MSN to Dogbert*
Quote:
Originally Posted by MathMan View Post
Hell of a makeover. This is not the same Canadiens at all. It's a completely different team.

In two days, Gainey went out and got himself an entire first line with three guys with 30-goal, 80-point seasons on their resumes. Odds are they won't all get that, but it's still a lot of talent. So much for Gainey sleeping on UFA day.

In isolation the moves don't all look good. As a group, on the other hand...

Take Gomez. I hated that move. I'm still skeptical. But the Habs got Cammalleri and Gionta out of it, both of whom Gomez has to have factored in. If Gomez is good enough to incite UFAs to come to Montreal, I'll have to admit that a- the deal was useful beyond getting Gomez for a huge cap hit and b- Gomez might well be significantly better than I give him credit for.

Now add Gionta. By himself, a 25-goal smurf. With Gomez? He just might be a 48-goal smurf. It's been known to happen. And it would be a lot better.

Cammalleri is just a good young player, a fine sniper to go with playmaker Gomez. That signing is good on his own, but Gionta is enough of a threat that opponents can't just key on him and neutralize the entire line.

Three notable things about the signings today:
- The Habs added talented players who CHOSE to come to Montreal.
- The Habs got younger up front. Gionta is 30, Gomez 30, Cammy 27. Added to Pleky, Lats, and the Kostitsyns, this is a good young core.
- The Habs got durable players. Most of these guys don't get hurt much.

I'm worried about size... but Gainey went out and got talent. And speed. Sooooo much speed.

The Habs were supposed to be a fast team? They're gonna look like lethargic snails compared to this bunch.
The forwards are shaping up nicely, but that defense looks ugly. Spacek's not great in his own end, and Gill is completely useless. Add that to offensively-minded Markov, aging Hamrlik, and who knows what else... It really looks bad. I also wanted to deal one of our goalies and get a veteran backup to mentor the one who stayed, but we've got time still.

I'll tell you this... If you could combine the two teams I cheer for, you'd have a hell of a lineup.

Dogbert* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2009, 08:36 PM
MathMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogbert View Post
The forwards are shaping up nicely, but that defense looks ugly. Spacek's not great in his own end, and Gill is completely useless.
I dunno, Dogbert. I suspect Martin will make these guys look a lot better than Carbo did. But yeah, another good D-man certainly wouldn't go amiss.

Quote:
I also wanted to deal one of our goalies and get a veteran backup to mentor the one who stayed, but we've got time still.
Goalies are worthless on the trade market. I'm fine with this tandem. I'd feel better if they had a goalie coach.

Quote:
I'll tell you this... If you could combine the two teams I cheer for, you'd have a hell of a lineup.
Well yeah, but then you have a 110 million cap.

Old
07-01-2009, 08:37 PM
Artyukhin*

Quote:
The forwards are shaping up nicely, but that defense looks ugly. Spacek's not great in his own end, and Gill is completely useless. Add that to offensively-minded Markov, aging Hamrlik, and who knows what else... It really looks bad. I also wanted to deal one of our goalies and get a veteran backup to mentor the one who stayed, but we've got time still.

PK Subban as a number 7 Chelios as a number 6....then tinker with the rest as you like .

Is Gill worse than Brezzer? if the answer is no then its an upgrade..Gill managed to make it to the cup 2 years in a row ...he must have been doin something right

Artyukhin* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2009, 08:38 PM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

The Gomez deal was heavily in the Rangers favor...until you add Gionta...its a good move.

They have shown excellent chemistry in the past

Cammy....some tweaks.....

Fun day

07-01-2009, 08:38 PM
MonacoBlue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Souvenirs View Post
Is it weird that I'm not very happy?
I mean I'm not mad, Bob was able to sign big names and everything.
But right now, I'm not excited at all to be a Habs fan.It feels a bit empty.
You're not alone...I feel the same way. It's going to take time to grow fond of the new smurfs.

MonacoBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2009, 08:41 PM
LeMAD

I'm really ****ing pissed off, this team sucks.

A decent first line, a bad second line, an average at best 3rd line, a bad fourth line, a bad defense and two young goalies.

We won't make the playoffs with this team, not this year, and not five years from now either.

LeMAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2009, 08:42 PM
ToysInTheAttic

I'd have to say I'm happy, I think. This is definitely a new team.

ToysInTheAttic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2009, 08:42 PM
Oleg Petrov

If Jacques Martin can instill a system where the puck is moved to the forwards while in full flight, Montreal will be very dangerous. If they get hemmed in their own zone, it will be a disaster. The whole season will depend on Markov, Spacek and Hamirlik's ability to clear the zone cleanly with speed.

Oleg Petrov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2009, 08:44 PM
Maximus Taylor

I don't know. It's weird, but I don't know.

It's gonna be weird when guys like Markov and Latendresse are the Montréal vets (in the sense that they've been here the longest). Nobody will know each other, will be make or break.

Feels somewhat like Gainey was playing NHL 2009.

Maximus Taylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2009, 08:45 PM
beowulf
Not a nice guy.

Send a message via MSN to beowulf
I don't like it, I am willing to give it a chance but I just don't see how this team is going to compete with the bigger, harder hitting teams. This might be on of the smallest teams in the last 10 years if not longer.

beowulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
MathMan

Here's another bit too. Teams that rebuild through UFA like that often end up with mismatched pieces that don't gel well.

But by getting Gionta and Gomez, Gainey has at least one piece of ready-made chemistry. The risk of mismatch is far lessened.

Old
Habs514

I want Kovalev or Koivu back.

Habs514 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2009, 08:46 PM
Capitano

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeMAD View Post

A decent first line, a bad second line, an average at best 3rd line, a bad fourth line, a bad defense and two young goalies.

We won't make the playoffs with this team, not this year, and not five years from now either.
I think the team is better than it was last year, and we made the playoffs after a horrible second half.

Not saying we're instant cup contenders or anything, but we've got a lot more speed and guys that put points up.

Capitano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2009, 08:47 PM
Gustave

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeMAD View Post

I'll bet you 100$ that we make it.

Gustave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2009, 08:48 PM
Franky Gee

Very happy with the moves and this day shows that Habs fans will always have something to whine about.

Franky Gee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2009, 08:52 PM
Shabutie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gustave View Post
I'll bet you 100$ that we make it.
I'd bet him 100$ per year that we'll make it every year in those 5...

Shabutie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2009, 08:52 PM
Kimota
Three Bananas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs514 View Post
I want Kovalev or Koivu back.
Hell no. If there is anything positive about these changes is the whole culture change. A fresh start with new offensive leaders.

I'm pretty positive about the additions of Cammlieri and Spacek. Spacek is a better #2 defenseman than Komisarek for one thing.

Kimota is offline   Reply With Quote