HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Line Predictions (2009/10 Season)

Closed Thread

Old
07-01-2009, 07:16 PM
ORYX

vCash: 500
I don't think getting rid of carle is the answer.

Jones however i believe is expendable. Carle should develope and improve well beside Pronger, i think they will complement eachother. If Carle proves he cannot handle those minutes, or play responsibly then yea, change it up.

I'd like to see Jones gone and a P.J Axellson, Malhotra type, and im not sure who will fill in on D though.

Old
07-01-2009, 08:37 PM
mikedifr

Quote:
Originally Posted by claude boivin lives View Post
Well, I guess it may finally be time to give up the idea of going with three scoring lines. It was my favorite thing about this team for a while, but with some of the recent changes, it looks like it'll likely make more sense to stack the top two and go with a more traditional checking third.

If we're not signing anyone else...

Gagne-Richards-Briere
Hartnell-Carter-Giroux
Asham-Powe-Carcillo/Laperriere
Cote-Kalinski-Carcillo/Lapperriere

Not sure exactly where we stand now with the cap, but if we can squeeze in another forward signing...

Gagne-Richards-Briere
Hartnell-Carter-Giroux
Asham-FA signing-Powe
Carcillo-Kalinski-Laperriere
Cote

I struggle a little bit with moving Giroux to wing, just cuz I think he did such a fantastic job as a center...he even did pretty well on face-offs. However, I guess I should just chalk that up to the fact that he is ****ing awesome, and realize that he may be better off on the wing.

Maybe Nodl would be ready to secure a spot on the third line...I don't know though. I'm not too high on him. He's a pretty smart player and does some good things, but I'll be shocked if he develops any real offensive threat. He's not incredible defensively and doesn't bring any physical presence either.

I'm a bit unsure about how the bottom six should stack up overall. Quite frankly, I have little use for Carcillo...especially now that we have Laperriere. I just don't think Carcillo is much of a player, in any regard really. How about they move him for the rights to Upshall? I'll be anxious to see what Scottie signs for.
He is a natural RW....Although he plays well at center, the only way I want to see him at center is if he is paired with Briere....Otherwise he should be a RW, especially considering the only players we currently have on the roster listed as RWs are Lappy and Asham

Quote:
Originally Posted by ORYX View Post

Jones however i believe is expendable. Carle should develope and improve well beside Pronger, i think they will complement eachother. If Carle proves he cannot handle those minutes, or play responsibly then yea, change it up.

I'd like to see Jones gone and a P.J Axellson, Malhotra type, and im not sure who will fill in on D though.
Carle needs to go for cap reasons....You cant go into the season with that much money spent on your defense and not enough depth in your bottom 6 forwards. Plus, we need to re-sign Coburn next year and it would be a slap in the face to Parent to go from playing on the top pairing to the bottom....Although I am sure Stevens wouldnt mind doing that since he seems to have a crush on Carle.

Old
07-01-2009, 09:09 PM
DenverBoone

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikedifr View Post
He is a natural RW....Although he plays well at center, the only way I want to see him at center is if he is paired with Briere....Otherwise he should be a RW, especially considering the only players we currently have on the roster listed as RWs are Lappy and Asham

Carle needs to go for cap reasons....You cant go into the season with that much money spent on your defense and not enough depth in your bottom 6 forwards. Plus, we need to re-sign Coburn next year and it would be a slap in the face to Parent to go from playing on the top pairing to the bottom....Although I am sure Stevens wouldnt mind doing that since he seems to have a crush on Carle.
Parent isn't a top four defenseman, Carle is. If he gets paired with Pronger watch how quickly he starts racking up points. Believe me, nobody will be *****ing about his salary come mid-season. He was also or best defender in the playoffs last year.

Old
07-01-2009, 09:14 PM
mikedifr

Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverBoone View Post
Parent isn't a top four defenseman, Carle is. If he gets paired with Pronger watch how quickly he starts racking up points. Believe me, nobody will be *****ing about his salary come mid-season. He was also or best defender in the playoffs last year.
What the hell are you watching??? Ummm, did you not see Parent playing on our top pairing last year??? The guy is already a top 4 and is only going to get better.

Old
07-01-2009, 09:16 PM
DenverBoone

Quote:
What the hell are you watching??? Ummm, did you not see Parent playing on our top pairing last year??? The guy is already a top 4 and is only going to get better.
Carle > Parent. That is all.

Old
07-01-2009, 09:19 PM
mikedifr

Quote:
Carle > Parent. That is all.
Get over yourself.....They are not even close defensively....Parent will be an elite shut down dman, already is very good. With Pronger and Timonen we dont need Carle's turnovers and suspect defensive play.....Get over your mancrush.

FlyHigh defended Carle left and right last year and even HE understands that now with two $6 million dollar elite dmen on the team, a young proven guy needing to be re-signed in a year in Coburn and a cheap guy capable of playing on your top pairing in Parent makes Carle too expensive when we need a forward or two.

The fact that Parent was on the top pairing last year after coming off an injury speaks for itself.

Old
07-01-2009, 09:29 PM
DenverBoone

Quote:
Get over yourself.....They are not even close defensively....Parent will be an elite shut down dman, already is very good. With Pronger and Timonen we dont need Carle's turnovers and suspect defensive play.....Get over your mancrush.

FlyHigh defended Carle left and right last year and even HE understands that now with two $6 million dollar elite dmen on the team, a young proven guy needing to be re-signed in a year in Coburn and a cheap guy capable of playing on your top pairing in Parent makes Carle too expensive when we need a forward or two.

The fact that Parent was on the top pairing last year after coming off an injury speaks for itself.
LOL. Carle haters unite!

Old
07-01-2009, 09:33 PM
DenverBoone

Quote:
Originally Posted by ORYX View Post

It's not the answer. Holmgren traded for him for a reason, and Stevens likes him for a reason. His even-strength production was very strong, makes smart decisions and isn't panicked with the puck. Pronger and Carle will be the best second pairing in the league. Parent needs to prove he can survive without Timonen, which he has yet to do. Parent is too young and unproven to be anointed the second coming like he is around here.

Old
07-01-2009, 09:38 PM
FlyHigh

Send a message via AIM to FlyHigh Send a message via MSN to FlyHigh
Quote:

Ouch.

But yeah, as I've said, I'm surprised and disappointed that Carle isn't gone even more angry that Jones isn't gone.

Who would you guys rather have, Jones at 2.75 or Madden at 2.75? If you said Madden, there might be a slight problem.

EDIT: The only real reason to keep Carle is as a temporary insurance policy and until we have a 3rd line, I'm not too comfortable with that.

Old
07-01-2009, 09:43 PM
mikedifr

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyHigh View Post
Ouch.

But yeah, as I've said, I'm surprised and disappointed that Carle isn't gone even more angry that Jones isn't gone.

Who would you guys rather have, Jones at 2.75 or Madden at 2.75? If you said Madden, there might be a slight problem.

EDIT: The only real reason to keep Carle is as a temporary insurance policy and until we have a 3rd line, I'm not too comfortable with that.
I didnt mean anything by that....Just being literal

I rather have Madden than Jones the way this team is set up cause he is exactly what we are missing.

I agree with you, if we could fill up the rest of the roster sufficiently without giving up Carle I wouldnt care, but he is redundant at this point and we need another good defensive dman to replace him. He is going to have to go next year anyway cause that money needs to be used for Coburn

Old
07-01-2009, 09:51 PM
mikedifr

Quote:
It's not the answer. Holmgren traded for him for a reason, and Stevens likes him for a reason. His even-strength production was very strong, makes smart decisions and isn't panicked with the puck. Pronger and Carle will be the best second pairing in the league. Parent needs to prove he can survive without Timonen, which he has yet to do. Parent is too young and unproven to be anointed the second coming like he is around here.
He can survive without Timonen, he can play with Pronger

Besides, he played fine with Smith the year before as a rookie.

And Carle does panic with the puck, other than Jones, he probaby made some of the dumbest passes I have seen.....Now it isnt all his fault, he is the kind of player that would be much better in a steady system, and he offers some good offensive skill, but he is very average in his own end.

Old
07-01-2009, 09:53 PM
mikedifr

Quote:
LOL. Carle haters unite!
First off...did you not read where I said defended him???

Also, I am not a hater either....I am just not a nuthugger

Old
07-01-2009, 10:15 PM
DenverBoone

Quote:
First off...did you not read where I said defended him???

Also, I am not a hater either....I am just not a nuthugger
I did not, you mentioned Flyhigh defended him. I must have missed it.

Old
07-01-2009, 10:37 PM
HoverCarle*

Send a message via MSN to HoverCarle*
I like Carle, But I just think our team would be better with his money used on Forwards. I do agree that with Pronger Carle will rack up points

Quote:
Huh? who wouldnt rather Madden?

Old
07-01-2009, 11:36 PM
Kaktus*

Madden one year deal or Jones one year deal?

wtf is Homer thinking?

Old
07-01-2009, 11:45 PM
HoverCarle*

I am hoping he is in talks wil Malhotra, otherwise missing Madden and Pahlsson sucks

Old
07-01-2009, 11:48 PM
Kaktus*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hovercraft View Post
I am hoping he is in talks wil Malhotra, otherwise missing Madden and Pahlsson sucks
Wanted him from the beginning.

Old
07-01-2009, 11:58 PM
mikedifr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaktus View Post
Wanted him from the beginning.
I have heard next to nothing about Malhotra, not that he is high profile enough to hear much....Maybe, if we are lucky, they have a verbal agreement with him and are just trying to move Carle or Jones first!!

Old
07-02-2009, 12:11 AM
Kaktus*

Quote:
I have heard next to nothing about Malhotra, not that he is high profile enough to hear much....Maybe, if we are lucky, they have a verbal agreement with him and are just trying to move Carle or Jones first!!
He is not really high profile but he is good on face offs and he can play some D and he has size. He is soft imo tough

Jones gone Malhotra and McKee and Bodrov in. Bodrov spends 40 games in AHL. I am aware, I am dreaming.

I honestly can not wait to play NYR. Made out of glass Gaborik as well as small Drury, moody Zherdevs semi injured Higgins... All they have is aging but still good Brash and Voros as well as pain in the ass SLASH model Avery.

I think NYR will make another trade tough.

Old
07-02-2009, 12:11 AM
IrishSniper87

Quote:
This would be the ideal situation. However, the Flyers need to move Carle and Briere by next July 1st or else we lose quality young guys.

Coburn, Parent, then Carter or Giroux or Gagne.

Getting rid of Carle rids us of another longterm deal. We would re-sign Coburn with Carle's money.

Jones will not be here next year, but I bet we just let him walk.

Old
07-02-2009, 12:40 AM
FLYERSFAN18

You guys think Barring another acquisition of a forward that the flyers might try to have three good lines again? They could keep the pairings of Hartnell-carter, Richards-Gagne, and Giroux-Briere and just add one of the scrappy energy type players to the other wing. They alos could add JVR depending on what he does in camp or how well he plays for the Phantoms.

Something like

Gagne-Richards-Laperriere
Hartnell-Carter-Carcillo/JVR/Nodl
Powe-Giroux-Briere
Cote-Ross/AHL Prospect-Asham

Last edited by FLYERSFAN18: 07-02-2009 at 12:48 AM.
Old
07-02-2009, 01:05 AM
Amateur Hour

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYERSFAN18 View Post
You guys think Barring another acquisition of a forward that the flyers might try to have three good lines again? They could keep the pairings of Hartnell-carter, Richards-Gagne, and Giroux-Briere and just add one of the scrappy energy type players to the other wing. They alos could add JVR depending on what he does in camp or how well he plays for the Phantoms.

Something like

Gagne-Richards-Laperriere
Hartnell-Carter-Carcillo/JVR/Nodl
Powe-Giroux-Briere
Cote-Ross/AHL Prospect-Asham

Gagne-
Laperriere on the first line would be a disaster. Come on, you're ******** me, right? I'm fine with the way the forward group is rounding out, although I do want to add one more player to the bottom-6 (I keep pushing for Malhotra). Our top-6, while thin, is pretty much set with Richards, Giroux, Carter, Gagne, Hartnell, and Briere. Right now our bottom-6 only has 4 legit players (Laperriere, Asham, Carcillo, Powe) and still needs to be upgraded.

Old
07-02-2009, 03:20 AM
dawkins121

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hovercraft View Post
Are there any sources or references or even rumors that suggest Homer is talking to Malhotra? Or anyone else for that matter? Because I'm starting to think that Holmgren is looking at this roster and thinking that it's good to go.

Gagne-Richards-Briere
Hartnell-Carter-Giroux
Nodl-Powe-Laperriere
Carcillo-Kalinski-Asham

Timonen-Coburn
Pronger-Carle
Parent-Jones

Emery
Boucher

Thoughts:
1. So much for our vaunted forward depth...
2. I really like Powe and I thought Nodl played pretty well when he was up. If Laperriere brings whats advertised, I think that could be a very, very solid third line.
3. Reluctant to put Parent on the third pairing because he played well last season and it might screw with his development to go from call up, to top pairing minutes, to bottom pairing minutes from season to season, but Carle is talented and I want to see if pairing him with Pronger or even Timonen can bring out the Matt Carle of 2007.
4. That Boucher signing is really bothering me. There was an abundance of quality backups available this offseason and we end up with him. I'd rather have someone like Clemmensen or Anderson that has a small sample size of competence than a guy that has a proven track record of mediocrity. If Emery goes down, could Clemmensen or Anderson repeat what they did last year? Who knows? It's possible! Will Boucher be able to carry us to the cup if Emery goes down. Hell no. Plus I think Harding is the goalie of the future for some team and he's sitting there, waiting to get traded. Unfortunately, to quote GKJ, it looks like the goalie of the future will be playing for someone else.

Old
07-02-2009, 03:32 AM
ilovetheflyers8

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawkins121 View Post
Are there any sources or references or even rumors that suggest Homer is talking to Malhotra? Or anyone else for that matter? Because I'm starting to think that Holmgren is looking at this roster and thinking that it's good to go.

Gagne-Richards-Briere
Hartnell-Carter-Giroux
Nodl-Powe-Laperriere
Carcillo-Kalinski-Asham

Timonen-Coburn
Pronger-Carle
Parent-Jones

Emery
Boucher

Thoughts:
1. So much for our vaunted forward depth...
2. I really like Powe and I thought Nodl played pretty well when he was up. If Laperriere brings whats advertised, I think that could be a very, very solid third line.
3. Reluctant to put Parent on the third pairing because he played well last season and it might screw with his development to go from call up, to top pairing minutes, to bottom pairing minutes from season to season, but Carle is talented and I want to see if pairing him with Pronger or even Timonen can bring out the Matt Carle of 2007.
4. That Boucher signing is really bothering me. There was an abundance of quality backups available this offseason and we end up with him. I'd rather have someone like Clemmensen or Anderson that has a small sample size of competence than a guy that has a proven track record of mediocrity. If Emery goes down, could Clemmensen or Anderson repeat what they did last year? Who knows? It's possible! Will Boucher be able to carry us to the cup if Emery goes down. Hell no. Plus I think Harding is the goalie of the future for some team and he's sitting there, waiting to get traded. Unfortunately, to quote GKJ, it looks like the goalie of the future will be playing for someone else.
Homer did say they are still looking around but your right it doesn't kind of sound like this may be all the moves we make.

Quote:
Q: What do you plan on doing next?

PH: “We do have some young players in our system who we think are guys that are eventually are going to be offense type players. If that is the route we go, we would certainly feel comfortable starting the year that way. But we will continue to look over the next few days. There are still some players out there that we value,. We will see how it goes.”

Q: What is it you’d like to get?

PH: “We’d like to add one more offensive-type player if we could. Like I said, we lost 52 goals. I think the addition of Pronger is going to help in that regard from the back end but also provide better opportunities for a lot of guys to score out up front because of rebounds and what not from his shot from the point and also Danny playing a full year and Claude Giroux playing a full year on our team, we expect a little more from them.”

Old
07-02-2009, 08:53 AM
HoverCarle*

Trade Carle to Van for like O'Brien and Hansen/Raymond then waive Jones and sign MA Bergeron(He played well with Pronger in EDM)

Gagne-Richards-Hansen
Hartnell-Carter-Lap
Briere-Malhotra-Giroux
Carcillo-Powe-Asham

Pronger-Coburn
Timonen-Parent
SOB-MAB

Closed Thread