HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Eric Lindros - Edmonton Journal

Closed Thread

Old
10-18-2004, 11:29 AM
choppystride

vCash: 500
I think it'll depend on the insurance.

Let's say he gets a base of 2 mil & is injured for the season in the first game, how much of that 2 mil will be covered by insurance?

If the insurance can cover a significant part of it, I don't mind him coming to Edm.

However, if he were to settle for such a contract (small base + incentives), somehow I think he'll end up with the Leafs...

Old
10-18-2004, 03:00 PM
Master Lok

Lindros is not a longterm solution, but if asked, yes I would sign Lindros to a $2 million plus incentives (say another million based on games completed) to be the first line centreman for the Oil. For ONE YEAR.

Same thing if someone asked me about Jason Allison.

Providing that BOTH passed medicals AND if they get concussed, that their salaries would be paid for by insurance.

If the year looked good, then maybe a longer term could be discussed.

But let's look at it logically. Oilers need a #1 centreman. York is a great #2. Horcoff is an OK #2. But we don't have a bonafide #1 centreman. Sure Lindros and Allison have injury plagued histories, but name me another #1 centreman available to picked up? For no player transactions, just money.

Anyone? Beuller? Beuller?

We can talk Stephen Weiss or Olli Jokinen or Jason Spezza but realistically, they are not trades that the other team would want to make unless we OVER PAY big time. If I was Keenan, I wouldn't trade Stephen Weiss for Torres, not unless Moreau was included as well.

Old
10-18-2004, 03:19 PM
LoudmouthHemskyfan#1

Quote:
Originally Posted by neogeo69

But let's look at it logically. Oilers need a #1 centreman. York is a great #2. Horcoff is an OK #2. But we don't have a bonafide #1 centreman. Sure Lindros and Allison have injury plagued histories, but name me another #1 centreman available to picked up? For no player transactions, just money.

But see here's the problem, York isn't a great #2 center. He's a good 2nd line LW who can play center if forced, but we need him at worst playing 2nd line LW to have a team to be reckoned with. After the CBA is signed, there's gonna be guys like Allison (who I much prefer to Lindros if we're going that route) and there's also going to be guys odds are that teams will trade for financial reasons, with the Oilers in a position to take-on, rather than off-load. So the options open up that way. After that it's a whole new bag of marbles. So now we get into lines. Odds are Marty will be ready to go, Jarret will have progressed as well, so maybe we're not even in a position to have to get a new 2nd line center, although if not I'd say go after a winger at least. Our forward core isn't good enough yet, despite the fact that we probably have a couple good prospects coming along (but only a couple most likely). If we get desperate, give Stoll the job and put a couple really good wingers on his sides. He's at least smart enough to do the job. Marty it kind of depends, but I'd almost rather have him anchoring our 3rd scoring line that capitalizes on the other team's defenders keying on our first two.

Old
10-18-2004, 03:31 PM
gr8haluschak

See this is why I think Nedved leaving can be a blessing because we could get the following for a little more than it would have cost for Nedved:

Lindros - With his injury history he will NEVER be paid at the top of the league anymore. He is still a great producer, when he plays, and if we reunite him with York he doesn't have to worry about going into the corners or carrying the puck over the lines thus preventing some injuries. He will not be on a team where fans demand the team to be a cup contender, and contrary to what some thing when we do ridicule it is because they are not doing anything.

Allison - He will be in the same boat as Lindros except he has been out for over a year, however, it was NOT a concussion (since some question if he will be prone). If he comes here it gives him a chance to rejuvinate his career with a wingers that honestly will make him look very good.

Both can be had for around two mill each and the Oilers will find the extra money since they could get two centres for what they were close to paying for one. The only thing is to make it more attractive the contracts should be loaded with good bonuses (not the Comrie specials). The is no worry if either get hurt for the season since it is insurance that pays for most of it. It works for both players since they are able to rejuvinate careers where they have been questioned.

Old
10-18-2004, 03:41 PM
choppystride

While I don't mind Lindros or Allison, but realistically I'm not sure if they're really that affordable.

So far the talk is that they'll be offered 2 mil base + incentives. But if they make it thru the season unscathed I think we could be looking at around 5 mil in final payment.

Old
10-18-2004, 04:48 PM
copperandblue

There is a number reasons that I don't really care to see Lindros in Edmonton but in respects to the thread discussion....

I don't see the advantage of getting Lindros inpart because of his chemistry with York. It seems to me that York has developed into a pretty darn good 2nd line center for the Oilers and if Lindros did come here and the idea was to play him with York on the wing, it doesn't really fill the need. You fill the first line center position and expose the second line center position.

Just my thoughts.

Old
10-18-2004, 05:07 PM
misfit

vCash: 50
I don't think aquiring lindros was suggested so that he could play with York. I think that was a seperate point brought up after the whole thought of signing Lindros came up. Unless of course it was stated in the article (which I didn't read), and in that case just disregard this post. But you're exactly right. A team that needs a center to fill the 1/2 spot doesn't aquire on just so they can put the 1/2 center they do have on the wing. It just doesn't make any sense.

Old
10-18-2004, 07:53 PM
Oilers1*

MacT would probably play York on LW with Lindros and move Smyth into the second-line center spot.

Old
10-18-2004, 09:50 PM
gr8haluschak

Quote:
Originally Posted by choppystride
While I don't mind Lindros or Allison, but realistically I'm not sure if they're really that affordable.

So far the talk is that they'll be offered 2 mil base + incentives. But if they make it thru the season unscathed I think we could be looking at around 5 mil in final payment.
So, if their contracts are loaded with team performance bonuses, such as making it to round 1,2,3,4 etc it would be well worth paying that for both. We have the money to make most of that up and any difference can be made up with the money recieved for the playoff games.

Old
10-18-2004, 10:39 PM
thome_26
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via ICQ to thome_26
No way does Smyth get tried at center again. York would play center before Smyth. Smytty, in fact, could be perfect on Lindros' wing (despite the Salt Lake games, where they really didn't play much anyways).

10-19-2004, 12:23 PM
Master Lok

Quote:
Originally Posted by choppystride

True enough. More than likely, both of these players will probably be offered more by another team than what we can offer, but in a hypothetical situation, if I were GM, I wouldn't want to pay either one the $4 - 5 million that they were expecting. It just doesn't make sense from a small market economy.

Also, it would really skew the salaries already on the team who have signed for lower than expected (Moreau, Smyth etc.)

Old
10-19-2004, 12:32 PM
misfit

vCash: 50
I doni't think there's a team in the league who would give either Lindros or Allison a $4/5 million contract right now (or any time in the future) given their health concerns, small market or not. Especially if the CBA ends up with some sort of "cost certainty".

Old
10-19-2004, 10:24 PM
barto

Quote:
Originally Posted by misfit
I doni't think there's a team in the league who would give either Lindros or Allison a $4/5 million contract right now (or any time in the future) given their health concerns, small market or not. Especially if the CBA ends up with some sort of "cost certainty".
You're probably right, although I would think many other teams could offer a higher contract overall, still. Either a higher base salary or else a higher salary with all bonuses (bonii?? ). I guess I'm pessimistic that if there's a cap it'll be anything under $40M (which will still help the Oilers a little) or else it'll be a luxury tax, which means the high-end players can still get signed by the richer teams who might then have to cough up some tax that will then also help the Oilers a little.

I just hope it's *enough* to really help the Oilers compete...

But more on-topic, I wouldn't mind seeing Lindros here, depending on the contract. I think Allison's less likely, as his potential is greater than Lindros's, in my opinion, so another team will be willing to take a chance on him with a higher salary.

Bart

Closed Thread