HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

BG handed Gaborik to the Rags

Old
07-02-2009, 03:16 AM
Artyukhin*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seb View Post
^^ If them getting Gaborik means us getting a legit 70-80pts player and a true first line. I wouldn't be more happy.
we just acquired 3 players with 80 pts a year potential ..3 guys who have all scored 30 to 48 goals a year .i cant see why some are so down .....

Artyukhin* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2009, 03:21 AM
Seb
Unregistered User

Send a message via MSN to Seb
Quote:
Originally Posted by doug mckenzie View Post
we just acquired 3 players with 80 pts a year potential ..3 guys who have all scored 30 to 48 goals a year .i cant see why some are so down .....
Their contract I guess, even tho I don't have any problem overpaying any UFAs since we can't bring them here other than that.

Also the loss of Koivu, Tanguay and Kovalev. Most people liked these 3 guys.

Yesterday's trade sure didn't help. Sure, getting Gomez helped us attracting more UFAs, but no one can deny the trade is god aweful.

Seb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2009, 03:27 AM
WhiskeySeven
Mr. Worldwide

Quote:
Their contract I guess, even tho I don't have any problem overpaying any UFAs since we can't bring them here other than that.

Yesterday's trade sure didn't help. Sure, getting Gomez helped us attracting more UFAs, but no one can deny the trade is god aweful.

I deny that. When I heard it I was surprised that Mcdonagh was thrown in but I was happy.

We have room, we need an actual 1st line centerman who can make (and take) a pass and there were NO viable options other than Gomez.

Higgins was miscast in Montreal and will be in New York. He's a third liner who can be bumped up to second when he's hot. We had too many wingers, there was no need or room for him.

Mcdonagh could very well become the next Pronger. He could very well become the next Alexei Semenov. He's a prospect that Gainey judged as not vital.

Valentenko could go to NYR but it's a stretch and the organization would never welcome him back after his illegal ditching.

Gomez's salary hit and years left is pretty gross but remember that we can always trade him

WhiskeySeven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2009, 03:30 AM
Artyukhin*

Quote:

unless......Gio and Gomez hit it off again ...then what?..

we dont know and thats why we need to let the season play out.....and even then they got 5 years together possibly so if we got 75 pts players on average for another 5 years and we can improve in the playoffs then no complaints here.....we need a Stanley cup appearance in the next 5 years and i say today set us down that road.

AGAIN i see Gomez rated over the years in the top 38 to 50 player in the NHL according to hockeynews....where is/was Higgins ranked? guess another way to loook at it ....

....Gomez is a top talent we just gotta let the season start before making the judgment

Artyukhin* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2009, 03:34 AM
dre2112

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs13 View Post
Without the Gomez deal, the Rangers wouldn't have had the cash to sign Gaborik... who, by the way, cost LESS than Gomez... there was no mention of it, so thought I'd say it.

Rangers got a REAL star... we got their pink elephant contract.
How exactly does the $7.5m of Gaborik cost less than the $7.3m of Gomez?

dre2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2009, 03:44 AM
Prudentius

I'll make 2 statements in this thread

1) I don't care about a player that averages 30 games a season and is constantly whining about the coaching system.

2) I did not read a single post in this thread, including the OP's.

Prudentius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2009, 03:59 AM
keepcalmandbeninja

Cammy, Gomez, Gionta and Spacek have missed very little hockey in the past....

Marian Gaborik...albeit a formidable hockey player, has never played a full 82 games once his career of 500 or so....

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/p....php?pid=51238

Gainey is weary of the injured....then again I am not convinced that MG is done for life...

Edit:

All this talk of Gomez's contract...is it not front loaded? first few years is "bad" however at 34 it ends up at 4.5 per season...same as kovy,kovalev...at the same age....

keepcalmandbeninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2009, 04:18 AM
peperebougon*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Tricolore View Post
Without Gomez the Habs don't sign Cammalleri and Gionta, and definitely don't get Gaborik anyway.
Bang on! And all the players we got in the last days are NOT INJURY PRONE. I prefer Gomez on the ice over Gaborik on IR for more than half a season...this guy is made of already broken glass glued together by a mixture of flour and water.sather just screwed himself back up. He had a chance to free himself up a bit but made it even worse in the end. Don't kid yourselves...he WILL be injured for half his contract game-wise. I am soooo glad we did not pick him (or Havlat) up. we finished first when we had no injuries. The guys we picked up have a very good chance of playing 78-82 games next year. That will be a factor.

Right now we are the laughinstock of whole HFboards. But hey we got a great passer and 2 scorers. We didn't have that next year. Ho! and for the size matter, Latendresse, Pac, Lapierre are not small, both Kost are not that small and play a big game physically. We draft bigger and tougher since a couple years and it will soon start to show with the young guys coming up. The size problem will solve itself because we have talent and speed signed for 5 YEARS. Let's get Tollefsen who did not receive a QO. This guy is tough as nails and is a young and pretty good stay at home D that will drop the gloves often. He will also be cheap.

We draft hard workers with some size most of the time and it will show soon enough.

peperebougon* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2009, 05:04 AM
Miller Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by doug mckenzie View Post
unless......Gio and Gomez hit it off again ...then what?..

we dont know and thats why we need to let the season play out.....and even then they got 5 years together possibly so if we got 75 pts players on average for another 5 years and we can improve in the playoffs then no complaints here.....we need a Stanley cup appearance in the next 5 years and i say today set us down that road.

AGAIN i see Gomez rated over the years in the top 38 to 50 player in the NHL according to hockeynews....where is/was Higgins ranked? guess another way to loook at it ....

....Gomez is a top talent we just gotta let the season start before making the judgment
ditto on that one...

but it's a little hard to feel optimistic about that when those same two guys each only got 75points or more once in their entire careers...

it helps that it was the one year they played together, but still... to bank on 5 years of ~75 points seems a tad bit wishful thinking, no? (though I certainly I share your desire to see it happen!

as for the trade... getting a guy ranked in the top 38-50 in the league is great, having to pay him like one of the top 5 in the league... not so great

Miller Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2009, 05:45 AM
Agnostic
11 Stanley Cups

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prudentius View Post
I'll make 2 statements in this thread

1) I don't care about a player that averages 30 games a season and is constantly whining about the coaching system.

2) I did not read a single post in this thread, including the OP's.
Good call. REading parts of this thread will rot your brain.

Gainey saw a need for an extreme makeover. Coaches and players alike have been the cracked eggs that are part of this new omelette. Bob bought himself some players that have proven to work well together and will have given them new challenges.

Bob made things happen yesterday, which refutes the complaints that he can't get certain things done. helluva job .

Agnostic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2009, 05:52 AM
shutehinside

Quote:
Originally Posted by peperebougon View Post
Bang on! And all the players we got in the last days are NOT INJURY PRONE. I prefer Gomez on the ice over Gaborik on IR for more than half a season...this guy is made of already broken glass glued together by a mixture of flour and water.sather just screwed himself back up. He had a chance to free himself up a bit but made it even worse in the end. Don't kid yourselves...he WILL be injured for half his contract game-wise. I am soooo glad we did not pick him (or Havlat) up. we finished first when we had no injuries. The guys we picked up have a very good chance of playing 78-82 games next year. That will be a factor.

Right now we are the laughinstock of whole HFboards. But hey we got a great passer and 2 scorers. We didn't have that next year. Ho! and for the size matter, Latendresse, Pac, Lapierre are not small, both Kost are not that small and play a big game physically. We draft bigger and tougher since a couple years and it will soon start to show with the young guys coming up. The size problem will solve itself because we have talent and speed signed for 5 YEARS. Let's get Tollefsen who did not receive a QO. This guy is tough as nails and is a young and pretty good stay at home D that will drop the gloves often. He will also be cheap.

We draft hard workers with some size most of the time and it will show soon enough.
Well size wise, we're already bigger then the bruins so I don't know why HFBoardds would be laughing at us?
Look at savard-kessel-kreci compared to gomez-gionta and camalleri and I think it's we're doing just fine talent wise. Add to that we're bigger as a team and have a more mobile defence and Im beginning to like what I see.

shutehinside is offline   Reply With Quote