HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Cammalleri, Gomez & Gionta VS Koivu, Kovalev & Tanguay? (From July 2009)

View Poll Results: Which one?
Cammalleri, Gomez, Gionta 169 73.16%
Koivu, Kovalev, Tanguay 62 26.84%
Voters: 231. You may not vote on this poll

Old
07-02-2009, 10:10 AM
Habsfan18
Global Moderator
The Future

vCash: 500
Cammalleri, Gomez & Gionta VS Koivu, Kovalev & Tanguay? (From July 2009)

Right now, which trio would you rather have playing for your team?

Last edited by Habsfan18: 07-02-2009 at 01:48 PM.
Habsfan18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2009, 10:12 AM
TheCH*

Obviously people are gonna vote for the new line, but we payed dearly for it and its just barely an upgrade imo..

So small..

TheCH* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2009, 10:12 AM
HomaridII

Cammalleri - Gomez - Gionta

Kovalev played 1 out of 4 games and he is 36, Koivu lost a lot of his step last year, he isn't a no.1 center anymore, he is 35 and has gone through a lot. Tanguay I like, but I didn't like that he seemed to be floating out there, didn't like the corners, didn't like the front of the net. He is a finesse player .. Gionta and Cammalleri are smaller, but just wait until you watch them day in and day out ...

HomaridII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2009, 10:14 AM

The disturbing part is some people will pick the Koivu/Kovalev/Tanguay trio...

The only argument against the other group, is the amount of money committed to them, but even at that, I think the Cammalleri/Gomez/Gionta trio is a clear upgrade.

Cammalleri even in a tough year is good for 30 goals, can't say the same about anyone in the other group

Nothing against Tanguay/Koivu/Kovalev...all good players, but they're no longer Habs and I like the new players we have and the new identity

417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2009, 10:15 AM
Monsieur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsfan18 View Post
Right now, which duo would you rather have playing for your team?
Trio you mean.

There is a chance of Cam - Gom - Gio to crash and fail. It's possible but I'm really confident with this line and I take that one over the old one.

Monsieur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2009, 10:17 AM
Habsterix*
@Habsterix

I've been saying for a while now that we needed a change in leadership. Those might not have been the players that I would have chosen as I'm a prominent fan of rough and tough play, but between the two groups, I pick the new one.

Having said that, I really would have liked to see Tanguay back. Local product, wanted to come back, a great player as well. That to me is the most disappointing.

Habsterix* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2009, 10:18 AM
exile550

I want Tangs and Kovy back.

exile550 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2009, 10:23 AM
giovannicanella

Look at the median age of each of those lines...

Look at the median speed of each of those lines....

Look at the median durability of each of those lines...

Tanguay, Koivu, Kovalev...good players...never really all played together...

Cammy Gomez Gio has the making of a very good line, very speedy high tempo hockey...me likes....

Kovalev would try to stickhandle into the zone...at medium speed...our new top line with their uber speed...OMG ownagegasm

giovannicanella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2009, 10:27 AM
Joe Malone

Cam, Gom and Gio are younger, faster and tougher. Tougher in the sense of durability and knocking them off the puck. (Lower center of gravity...)

Kovalev the enigma, Tanguay the skilled and soft are gone.

Still can't get used to Koivu the Lion-Hearted leaving though......one of my last memories of Saku in a Habs uniform will be him going into the corner and hitting Chara.

Joe Malone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
la25ecoupe

Gainey said that Tanguay doesn't fit our new style of hockey.

la25ecoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Pascal

Cammy = scorer
Gomez = passer, won 2 cups
Gionta = scorer, decent on PK, won 2 cups

perfect fit imo, even if they're a bit overpaid.

Pascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2009, 10:28 AM
supertzar

I vote for the new trio.

We got younger, faster, more consistent in the goal scoring department, and I think gritter, albeit smaller.

I would still like to bring Kovalev back-somehow, or a Beauchemin. Both are probably unlikely.

So what is TSN going to say now? Yesterday before Gionta it was,"they better have chemistry." Well, we know Gionta and Gomez can have chemistry. Now it's going to be that we're too small. I don't think these players play small, which makes a difference. Just tell the third and fourth line to go out and hit everything they see. And let our first line go around the pylons in Toronto and Boston.

Plus I like this because now Akosty can develop even more without the pressure of needing to be a 30 goal man..maybe now he will slide into that easier with the first line being the target of other teams.

I'm excited! One more of -Kovalev, D man or bottom 6 grit would be great.

supertzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2009, 10:29 AM
Ross MacLochness

Last year Tanguay-Koivu-Kovalev cost 15 million. You want to go on the open market and get 3 guys who are younger, better, and more durable... do you actually expect to pay the same amount?

And I fail to see how we lose anything in the toughness department. Tanguay is a complete wimp, Gomez has less heart but is more powerful and durable than Saku. Over the last couple years there have been games where Koivu looks gassed after the 1st period. And Kovalev? Yeah he's big and strong when he feels like it.

Ross MacLochness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
FrankMTL

I don't know why Tanguay has so many fans around here. Sure he was a pretty good playmaker and offensive player, but the guy was as soft as cottonelle. We need players with more drive...

FrankMTL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Le depisteur

18.5M$ or 14.5M$???

Le depisteur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2009, 10:32 AM
Habsterix*
@Habsterix

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankMTL View Post
I don't know why Tanguay has so many fans around here. Sure he was a pretty good playmaker and offensive player, but the guy was as soft as cottonelle. We need players with more drive...
If you think that Gomez, Cammelleri and Gionta will bring you toughness and grit, you're up for a bad surprise.

Old
07-02-2009, 10:35 AM
FrankMTL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asterix View Post
If you think that Gomez, Cammelleri and Gionta will bring you toughness and grit, you're up for a bad surprise.
Did I say they would? I just said that Tanguay was soft and was surprised he had that many fans...don't add things that aren't there.

Old
07-02-2009, 10:40 AM

One more thing to add...Kovalev led our team in shots last year with 209 shots on goal

Gomez, Gionta and Cammalleri all had over 240 shots on goal

Gomez (271) Gionta (248) Cammallerri (255)

I think it's going to be great having a team that shoots as opposed to a team that looks for the perfect play almost everytime before they shoot

417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2009, 10:44 AM
Habsterix*
@Habsterix

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankMTL View Post
Did I say they would? I just said that Tanguay was soft and was surprised he had that many fans...don't add things that aren't there.
And I'm saying that like others here, I would have liked to keep him here. Local boy, great player, great attitude. No softer than what we've signed and/or traded for...

Old
07-02-2009, 10:45 AM
GoHabs20

I still have hope Kovy will be back!!

GoHabs20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2009, 10:46 AM
GoodKiwi

I like how our new trio fits the playmaking center and two goal scoring wingers mold. I like Cammalleri, I think he will do fine here. I am not so sure about Gomez-Gionta combo. Both seem more like they had one great fluke of a year, but neither has proven much since. Both seem grossly overpaid to me. Now I'd be fine if they returned to their 80+ point form, but it seems unlikely and the most I would realistically expect out of each is around 65-70 points. Gionta's goal to assist ratio seems a bit worrisome. He should be more of a goal scorer in my mind than someone to dish out assists, especially with Gomez being there.

GoodKiwi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2009, 10:47 AM
Kafka

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsfan18 View Post
Right now, which duo would you rather have playing for your team?
Not only is it an upgrade, but those players are owned for the next FIVE YEARS. Koivu and Kovalev are on the downard slope, and won't play for more than two other seasons. Kovalev might even not play anymore game in the NHL in fact.

Kafka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2009, 10:49 AM
FrankMTL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asterix View Post
And I'm saying that like others here, I would have liked to keep him here. Local boy, great player, great attitude. No softer than what we've signed and/or traded for...
Thats fine, you're entitiled to your opinion. Mine is that i wasen't a big fan and didn't think he had much character. Do our new players?? Honestly, i don't know..but we needed a few players who can score and I think Gionta and Cammalleri are better scorers then Tanguay who is a playmaker like Gomez.

Old
07-02-2009, 10:52 AM
Bitterman

Now we just need to upgrade on Pleks to add size and grit down the middle... please?

Bitterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2009, 10:53 AM
marvelousmotion

You guys have short memory.. Koivu, Tanguay and Kovalev played great together during the last few strides of the season and they formed a pretty solid line, racking up points like crazy. The 3 of them had a lot of skills too, no doubt about it.

If the question is, are Gomez, Gionta and Cammalleri more skilled? I am not going to say yes. I'll wait and see what Gomez, Gionta and Cammalleri will be able to do first. Honestly, I think it's pretty close in terms of skills; I don't see them as a huge upgrade, nor as a downgrade. Of course, you could factor in other things like age, salary etc... But judging in terms of pure talent, it is hard to pick one over the other.

I don't know why a lot of people here automatically assume Gomez is going to play with Gionta and Cammalleri. IMO, there is a good chance they won't play on the same line. It is likely that Gomez will be paired with Gionta, but their line could very well be completed with a heavier guy like A.Kostitsyn.

marvelousmotion is offline   Reply With Quote