HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Notices

Best off season addition to the Moose?

View Poll Results: Which player was the best off season pick up for the Moose?
Lee Goren 5 12.82%
Jeff Heerema 11 28.21%
Wade Flaherty 19 48.72%
Joe Dipenta 0 0%
Johnathan Aitken 4 10.26%
Voters: 39. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
10-16-2004, 08:25 AM
cyrisweb

vCash: 500
Best off season addition to the Moose?

Curious which player people feel will make the biggest impact with the Moose this season? Who was the best pick up?

Lee Goren - A big player with potential. Last season with San Antonio he was leading his team with 27 goals. Has already made a pretty nice impact with his hat trick last night and has found some solid chemistry with Kesler and Heerema.

Jeff Heerema - First round draft pick(11th??) Has some obvious talent and some potential to live up too. 4 assists in his second game with the Moose 5 points in 2 games so far.

Wade Flaherty - Was the #1 with the Milwaukee Admirals last season of the AHL and with them won the Calder Cup and was recognized as the MVP of the 2004 playoffs. Has thus far been gold making many huge saves. Supposed to be the backup to the young Auld but has more than enough skills to be the number 1.

Joe Dipenta - From what I've read was also a top prospect at one time. Played with the Chicago Wolves of the AHL. Also has some NHL experience. Could really be a good steady influence on the team.

Johnathan Aitken - Has yet to even play a game in the regular season with the Moose. Is widely know as the Canucks #7 dman. He is a big tough guy who is willing to defend his teammates. Has some NHL experience.

Anybody else that wasn't "in the system" already that I am missing?

Old
10-16-2004, 01:02 PM
Impossibles

The coach!

Also addition by subtraction. Got rid of the guys who didn't really want to be there: Reid and Fedorov come to mind.

Old
10-16-2004, 02:53 PM
Rageinthecage

I'd have to agree that Randy Carlyle is the most significant addition. The subtraction of Fedorov is also going to pay team chemistry dividends that aren't even remotely hinted at yet.

1)Flaherty - one of the finest "AHL" goalies out there. A very poised, and calming influence in the locker room and between the pipes. Most Moose fans want him starting the vast majority of the games, but obviously we as Canuck fans think differently. I'm sure Flaherty and Auld is the AHL's best net tandem hands down.

2)Aitken - hasn't played yet, but this guy was good enough to play 20 minutes a night for the awful Blackhawks last season and look like a decent NHL defenseman. As soon as his eye injury heals, he should easily be the team's #1 defenseman as far as providing that defensive presence and toughness that the Moose desperately lacked last year.

3)Goren - should have no problem replacing Reid's offense. Different players obviously as Goren is a power forward, but he has a chance to be the team's leading point getter along with King and Sarno.

4)Green - most experienced NHL player in the bunch. Should provide excellent defensive, offensive, and physical play for the team. A more than adequate replacement for the losses of Bouck and Kavanagh.

5)Hereema - former highly touted 1st rounder has dropped off the radar his last couple of seasons, but all he needed was a change of scenery and a fresh start. From listening to last night's contest vs Rochester, he looks to have great chemistry with Kesler and Goren.

6)Dipenta - don't know much about this player, but he's a solid AHL rearguard with the physical and defensive capabilities the Moose missed most of last season when Grenier was injured/traded.

7)Bieksa - rookie of the year for the Moose? (Sorry Smith and Schultz). The defense looks decent when you consider all the losses over the last couple seasons (Allen, Helmer, Eakins, Kurtz, Jokela, Obsut, Grenier, Chapman, etc). Thank god for the off season signings.

One thing that impresses me about the Moose the first two games is the potent offense. I suppose there's no reason to get too excited as the team raced out of the gate last year as well the first week with some great stats by Fedorov, Koltsov, and Kesler (4 points his first pro game) only to fall off the face of the earth later in the year.

However, with Goren, King, Sarno, and Hereema's offensive potential combined with likely improvements from Kesler and Morrison, the top two lines look dangerous. Add in the backend threats of Baumgartner, Mojzis, and Koltsov and the ECHL sniper grads (T. Smith, Schultz, Nolan) and you have possible offense from every line. Take into account that Green and Roy are also capable of 20 goals apiece to augment their checking duties. In other words, every forward with the exception of N. Smith and Brookbank can score. If there was ever a winter where it would be beneficial to live in Winnipeg....

Old
10-16-2004, 07:12 PM
kmad
Riot Survivor

Flaherty for sure. Goaltending was a weakness for Manitoba and now it's a strength.

Old
10-16-2004, 09:28 PM
Avery4Byng*

I think it is too early to really tell.... Oh well I am taking Flaherty..... Good pickup.

Old
10-17-2004, 01:09 AM
cyrisweb

I went with Flaherty as well. I think he will give the Moose the chance to win the games when maybe they shouldn't on certain nights. I think winning right now is the most important thing for Kesler, King and Koltsov(especially). It's been well noted that he's not really.. fully there.. always homesick. Winning games and doing well is the best way to remedy that, and once he feels more at home in North America he will work harder and practice harder and play even better. Personally I think that's the key to how well Koltsov will do in his carear.. How he does now. Hopefully the Canucks aren't going to force Carlyle to play Auld all the time if hes sucking.

Personally I'm suprised that Aitken hasn't recieved more votes as he's obviously going to be the Moose' most experienced dman and probably their best. He adds a lot of toughness that they didn't have last year as well.

Old
10-17-2004, 01:52 AM
Russian_fanatic

Like one person said THE COACH! He seemed to motivate the team very well, and Heerema was also an excellent pick up.

Old
10-17-2004, 02:36 AM
SedinFan*

Send a message via MSN to SedinFan*
It's 3 games.

The most educated guess as to who is/will be the best pick up come seasons end is Wade Flaherty.

Old
10-17-2004, 02:37 AM
Russian_fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by SedinFan
It's 3 games.

The most educated guess as to who is/will be the best pick up come seasons end is Wade Flaherty.
I say anyone over Smyl is an improvement

Old
10-17-2004, 02:39 AM
SedinFan*

Send a message via MSN to SedinFan*
We can all agree with the obvious son.

Old
10-17-2004, 07:33 AM
LadyJet26
GO JETS GO!!!

vCash: 50
I'll vote at the end of the season thanks.

Old
10-17-2004, 12:18 PM
Impossibles

I won't say Flaherty because Moss was pretty similar.

Old
10-18-2004, 08:06 AM
LadyJet26
GO JETS GO!!!

how are Flaherty and Moss similar?

Moss was a cancer in the dressing room, and all he wanted to do was play with the Canucks, Flaherty however isn't a cancer in the dressing room, and is a veteran AHLer.

Old
10-19-2004, 12:30 AM
mazmin
Go! Jets! Go!

Lee Goren. He's the big body we've needed. Like an AHL version of Bertuzzi...also a local boy. I wanted him and Botterill in the offseason.

Old
10-19-2004, 01:01 AM
Russian_fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by MooseHunter
how are Flaherty and Moss similar?

Moss was a cancer in the dressing room, and all he wanted to do was play with the Canucks, Flaherty however isn't a cancer in the dressing room, and is a veteran AHLer.
So what if someone wanted to play behind the Canucks? What if they wanted to get their dreams to come true?

Old
10-19-2004, 09:20 AM
Shane

I voted Flaherty, though I would have voted Carlyle if he were an option.

Old
10-20-2004, 08:40 AM
LadyJet26
GO JETS GO!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russian_fanatic
So what if someone wanted to play behind the Canucks? What if they wanted to get their dreams to come true?
Moss had been brought in to play in the AHL due to the fact that Auld would be the one they would be calling up when the Canucks were in need of a goalie. Moss whined and *****ed about the fact that he was the one still stuck in the minors when in fact he knew he wasn't going to get called up.

I'm not talking about everyone, I'm talking about Moss. I don't see how you could compare either one when you don't know how the team played after Moss left. They played like Mount Everest had been lifted off their backs.

Closed Thread