HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, NHL revenues, relocation and expansion.

Excellent Atricle from the Detroit Free Press

Closed Thread

Old
10-19-2004, 04:43 PM
hockeytown9321

vCash: 500
Excellent Atricle from the Detroit Free Press

http://www.freep.com/sports/redwings...e_20041016.htm

I wish more people were this bright.

Old
10-19-2004, 04:48 PM
degroat*

Excellent would be the last word I'd use to describe that article. Mr Rosenberg needs to go do a little research and find out who the lowest revenue producing teams are. If he had actually done this, he would have found out that many of the teams at the bottom were around well before Bettman, including both Alberta teams. The problems would exist with our without teams in Florida or Anaheim.

Old
10-19-2004, 04:49 PM
Bicycle Repairman
HFBoards Sponsor

Bettman wasn't really responsible for expansion. The NHL long ago established a committee made up of members of the Board of Governors for that.

Besides, the bulk of so-called expansion teams in the league were during the John Zeigler era. The push southward happened well before Bettman arrived on the scene.

Old
10-19-2004, 05:04 PM
Cawz

A whole article placing blame. Wow. I've seen more intelligent rants on these boards.

I guess when theres no NHL hockey to write about, you gotta print something. But seriously, he could cut n paste posts from these boards and they would be more thought provoking.

Old
10-19-2004, 06:49 PM
mr gib

thanks for the link - keep em coming -

Old
10-19-2004, 09:11 PM
Sotnos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cawz
A whole article placing blame. Wow. I've seen more intelligent rants on these boards.
That's the truth, unfortunately. Pretty funny how this guy specifically blames Bettman for hockey in Florida when both franchises were already awarded before he came on board. Are we supposed to take this writer seriously?

I don't see much point in trying to place blame at this point, it doesn't change anything.

Old
10-19-2004, 11:41 PM
Johnnybegood13

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeytown9321
http://www.freep.com/sports/redwings...e_20041016.htm

I wish more people were this bright.
the only thing he said that could be considered "bright" is when he said:
The owners are ultimately going to get their way, because most of them really are losing money, and because the system really does need fixing. but everyone allready knows this!

Old
10-20-2004, 08:24 AM
NYIsles1*

Quote:
There are other teams in the red. Last season, the Wings were one of them. They lost money because they had one of the league's highest payrolls -- an admirable attempt to win the Stanley Cup, but their choice.
What the writer fails to understand is every team in the league is paying for that choice because it drives up the player market.

There is nothing admirable about overspending to buy what he cannot build. Wings fans rely on Illich grabbing free agents so much now when it ends he is going to have an empty building that already is too old to produce revenue.

Seems like all the writers of teams that overspend want no part of a cap because they would have less star players to write about and have to work much harder to cover their teams. They know a luxury tax gives Mike Illich an opening to overspend and want to keep that option open.

Fans in Detroit are not going to pay these prices to see prospects and rebuilding or the Wings forced to operate as everyone else, one look at Comerica Park is proof of that.

Old
10-20-2004, 09:18 AM
degroat*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sotnos
That's the truth, unfortunately. Pretty funny how this guy specifically blames Bettman for hockey in Florida when both franchises were already awarded before he came on board. Are we supposed to take this writer seriously?
You know... I never really thought about that. It looks like the only cities granted teams under Bettman's watch are Nashville, Atlanta, Columbus, and Minnesota.

Old
10-20-2004, 09:32 AM
Motown Beatdown
Need a slump buster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stich
You know... I never really thought about that. It looks like the only cities granted teams under Bettman's watch are Nashville, Atlanta, Columbus, and Minnesota.

Your right, two are very profitable and two are not.

Old
10-20-2004, 09:33 AM
Motown Beatdown
Need a slump buster

BTW, Rosenberg is and always has been a moron.

Closed Thread